Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Total Fan

Oooh, Blake I had two classes and a lecture dedicated to him this semester, we did both versions of Nurse's Song and Holy Thursday from Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

I wish I had a class or lecture about this poem in High School! It was long, but I enjoyed the truths I found while reading Thanks for posting it Joana!

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Elite Fan

funny how words that were written so long ago in different times can still resonate so loud and clear with us, uh?

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
funny how words that were written so long ago in different times can still resonate so loud and clear with us, uh?
Just goes to show us how people haven't really changed that much through the centuries... and as I'm spending a lot of time in the 15th century right now it's really surprising how little has changed if you look close enough. At least when it comes to money, which means basically nothing has changed

I have a semester test in British Literature on Thursday
Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
it's really surprising how little has changed if you look close enough. At least when it comes to money, which means basically nothing has changed
two things you can always count on to stay the same: power and love. Only the shape changes but the core of it remains the same through time and culture.

Quote:
and as I'm spending a lot of time in the 15th century right now
You don't mean with a time machine, do you? that would be fun
What are you studying these days from the 15th century that you like best?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
You don't mean with a time machine, do you? that would be fun
What are you studying these days from the 15th century that you like best?
Sadly no I'd love that, it's a big dream of mine
Actually my thesis is a biography of a guy who was an official, a diplomat and a bishop in 15th century Poland. And I had no idea of his existence until I had to decide on the topic and of course I couldn't choose anyone thoroughly researched (I also wrote a biography for my BA and it was fun). There's something really modern about him (and he died in 1471!), he was cunning and had quite a temper, which led him into trouble on a number of occasions. And when he died (of a stroke after getting mad too much during the royal council ), the diocese turned out to be in such a debt that there was no money to give him a funeral and they had to borrow it Nothing changes, right?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_darkside (View Post)
you'd meet Joana on your time traveling.

Quote:
Actually my thesis is a biography of a guy who was an official, a diplomat and a bishop in 15th century Poland. And I had no idea of his existence until I had to decide on the topic and of course I couldn't choose anyone thoroughly researched
Heh well at least you found someone interesting. Must be hard picking people after all these centuries of research! Like finding an unused gmail identity

Quote:
There's something really modern about him (and he died in 1471!), he was cunning and had quite a temper, which led him into trouble on a number of occasions.
Ha! I like him already!

Quote:
And when he died (of a stroke after getting mad too much during the royal council ),
Politicians are so much less involved these days (and I guess that's one of the reasons why: if they die of strokes, they can't collect their well earned pensions )

Quote:
the diocese turned out to be in such a debt that there was no money to give him a funeral and they had to borrow it Nothing changes, right?
nope. Nothing.

You must be reading so many interesting history books!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
I remember her saying something about a dream of having a time machine

Quote:
Heh well at least you found someone interesting. Must be hard picking people after all these centuries of research! Like finding an unused gmail identity
Yeah but luckily it's not like nothing was written about him, there's just no separate book, otherwise my advisor wouldn't allow me to write It's really more like putting everything together like a puzzle and correcting some things. Really often happens that someone wrote sth incorrectly 100 years ago or so and then everyone repeated it...

Quote:
Ha! I like him already!
Once he went as an envoy to mediate with the king's brother who rebelled and unfortunately the prince was even more bad tempered. He got slapped in the face and thrown into jail But he also could have provoked him on purpose to get a reason for war, there's really no way to tell...

Quote:
You must be reading so many interesting history books!
I wish I had more time, but right now it's more like skimming through the name index

Last edited by Aga_darkside; 05-22-2012 at 03:54 PM
Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It's really more like putting everything together like a puzzle and correcting some things.
wow, that sounds fascinating! You're like a History investigator

Quote:
Really often happens that someone wrote sth incorrectly 100 years ago or so and then everyone repeated it...
Yeah I'm so not surprised by that. It's pretty much Wikipedia in two lines but it happened before the internet.

Quote:
Once he went as an envoy to mediate with the king's brother who rebelled and unfortunately the prince was even more bad tempered. He got slapped in the face and thrown into jail
oh brother!

Quote:
But he also could have provoked him on purpose to get a reason for war, there's really no way to tell...
Not unless you have a time machine... although that probably wouldn't help either unless you can read minds. I do like his style though

Quote:
I wish I had more time, but right now it's more like skimming through the name index
Yeah I don't have time to read as much as I'd like either. And school is terrible for that.

I am currently reading A Prayer for Owen Meany again just because a whole day goes by sometimes without me opening my book and I know it very well so it's alright.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
You are right, I still want to believe that not everything that appears in the poem applies to these days. We have changed in relation to the Heaven-God-Hell references. The guilt feeling was much more attached to religion in 1800. I think it is possible to enjoy life and nature and we should be able to discern what to value, what to care about and face the consequences of our actions

Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
We have changed in relation to the Heaven-God-Hell references. The guilt feeling was much more attached to religion in 1800.
that's an excellent point.
I guess it still works for poets like Blake and others because they are so hyperbolic that any reference to the religious/holy becomes more about spirituality in various shapes.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Yeah I'm so not surprised by that. It's pretty much Wikipedia in two lines

Quote:
I do like his style though
And he was really resourceful. What I like about the late Middle Ages is that it was possible to make big careers without having been born in wealthy families or without any ties to them. It was all based on merit and personal traits. Try doing that now And the guy I wrote my BA about, Jan Radlica (there's a two line-long entry at the French wiki ), was even a better example. Born in a noble, but really insignificant family, he went to study theology and medicine in Paris and Montpellier. Then his fame as an excellent physician reached the French court and when the king of Hungary (who was also a king of Poland then) was looking for a new physician, Jan was recommended to him by the French king. And then he went from being a personal physician to being a Chancellor of Polish kingdom and a bishop of Kraków, which was the biggest and wealthiest diocese (but my other guy had no problem with bankrupting it )

Quote:
Yeah I don't have time to read as much as I'd like either. And school is terrible for that.
I'm waiting for the summer break to start reading again...
Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Addicted Fan

From one of my favourite Portuguese Authors, Eça de Queiróz

“(Prayer is) a fictitious consolation invented by those who have everything in order to keep those who have nothing contented. I belong to the bourgeoisie and I know the only reason my class bothers to show the lower classes that distant paradise full of ineffable pleasures that will one day be theirs is to divert attention from their own bulging coffers and from the abundance of their harvests.”

"Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason."

Quote:
Oooh, Blake I had two classes and a lecture dedicated to him this semester, we did both versions of Nurse's Song and Holy Thursday from Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience.
now I'm jealous! You lucky girl! I used to love my literature classes, but I wish I had done more reading that I did! Plus it was mainly Portuguese literature, which I love, but very little on foreign authors! Well, never too late!

Quote:
that has to be my favorite ending for a poem by Blake ever.
Quote:
It was long, but I enjoyed the truths I found while reading Thanks for posting it Joana!
Aww... I'm so glad you girls liked it! I wasn't sure if I should post it or not, because of it's length! Glad I did!

Quote:

Quote:
One of my wishes I have waiting for when the genie appears to me!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:18 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Femina (View Post)
From one of my favourite Portuguese Authors, Eça de Queiróz
Praying is a mistery for me but if it helps to release the pain or feel better, go for it!

Quote:
"Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason."
I’ve heard this one before, so true!

Quote:
You lucky girl! I used to love my literature classes, but I wish I had done more reading that I did! Plus it was mainly Portuguese literature, which I love, but very little on foreign authors! Well, never too late
Right? The same happened to me! Literature here is focused on Latin American writers. Now in private school I believe the kids have a broader scope.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
You lucky girl! I used to love my literature classes, but I wish I had done more reading that I did! Plus it was mainly Portuguese literature, which I love, but very little on foreign authors! Well, never too late
I have English and American Literature at uni, the English for 5 semesters and the American for 3 But even at high school we read quite a lot of foreign authors, mostly European though. I guess it's just the way it is in Polish schools, because at History classes we always had both history of Poland and the general one.

Last edited by Aga_darkside; 06-01-2012 at 12:25 PM