Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm surprised they let him write such a book and didn't kill him for exposing such stories.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, I'm sure he fictionalized it enough.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

https://youtu.be/ffVLO5L3MW8

Sorry that the video was cut off. I should have used a memory card with more space.
From what I could remember I made some notes about the rest of the Q&A.

There are spoilers below, so you have been warned. Go see the movie and then read my post.

Jennifer Connelly unfortunately couldn't make it because she was not feeling well. But the q&a was about an hour long, very insightful and at times funny.

Ewan signed on as director right after he finished performing in The Real Thing on Broadway. He spent 9 months doing prep-work and he had an office in LA, at the movie studio, where he'd work from 9-5. In the beginning, and this is something he said he would change next time he directs, he would sit in his office wondering, "now what?" The audience laughed with him then.

(Side note: The audience loved Seymour's father. He was funny and always got a laugh. I especially liked when he gave his very honest opinion at the art gallery.)

He spent a lot of time going over the script and the book. He said when many actors get a script and read it they visualize the scene, but what ends up on screen is different. Being the director, what you visualized ends up in the film.

He learned a lot of what to do and what not to do from directors he's worked with.
(My sister thinks he was speaking of George Lucas when he said "what not to do" but she's no mind reader so he could have meant anyone.)

Ewan said he learned a lot from Danny Boyle. Danny will clear the room so the actors can rehearse without the crew's eyes on them.

Dakota doesn't like to rehearse a lot. She prefers to just go in that day and feel it.

There was a question about the author of the book and his involvement with the production. Philip Roth approved the script and signed off on the rights. He was not involved in the making of the movie, but saw the film. No one knew that the producers let him see it. Roth sent an email to their agents asking them to tell them that he liked it.

Spoiler:

On to a lighter topic, the music. Alexandre Desplat did the score. I like his work.
I really liked the use of the 1960's pop-rock music. Especially the scene when Seymour was looking at Merry's radical pamphlets in her room to the song "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield.

Ewan said that the opening song, "Heaven On Earth," came to him when he was in the shower. He was singing it and decided it sounded good for the film.

The song that Merry plays in her room, when he tells her to turn it down, he wanted to use "Voodoo Child" by Jimmy Hendrix but Hendrix is too expensive. Jefferson Airplane's "Go To Her" was used instead.

The last process of directing is the sound mixing. Ewan was in the studio and was presented with different types of moos for cows. High moos, deeps moos, long moos. Ewan mooed to give examples, which was so funny. I forgot what question was asked that that answer pertained to, or where it lead, but hearing Ewan moo was funny and we all laughed. And I'm bummed I missed recording it.

I'm going to end on this highlight of the evening. I asked a question! It was not deep, intellectual question, but Ewan's answer was very satisfying to hear.

I asked if on the DVD we'll get to hear cast commentary and would there be a director's cut.

Happily, the film we saw is the director's cut. Ewan said he didn't feel he had to compromise to take anything out or add anything that he didn't want to. What we saw was his director's cut. He also would like to do a cast commentary.

He embellished more but we were making eye contact and my heart was hammering in my chest so that's all I can remember.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

You da best, Steph!
Old 10-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Aww Thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ Happy Steph.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like to make people happy!
Old 10-31-2016, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ More happy Steph.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Somebody likes Kenobi jokes.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like the last one, best.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like the one about no attachments.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love Kenobi memes.

I can't wait to use the Mandalorian one in conversations with friends.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top