Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Oh, absolutely There's a strong degree of ignorance on the part of the fandom. They're just focusing on the old cast being fazed out (I don't personally love that myself, but as long as it's done in a way that serves the plot, which IMO, it is) and if they actually paid attention, they would see Kylo for the young, conflicted soul he actually is. Some people don't even know that Kylo Ren isn't his real name
Yeah, I think that some people thoguht that the OT trio would be again the centre of this new trilogy, so finding out that this is not their story must really frustrate them. This Ben's and Rey's story. Their journey.

And honestly, I find it ridiculous that they don't Kylo for who he his. That man was almost crying, when he proposed to Rey. He was shaking and trembling, begging her. That's not an evil man.

Quote:
Can we assume from this that he's a Finn/Rose fan?
Hopefully

Icon Credit
Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Rian talked about that moment as well to an interviewer, saying Adam played the scene really well when he gently added "please" when he talked about it being the Notting Hill style of proposal

He looks fragile in that GIF. No cold-hearted villain would ever look like that. He's literally on the edge, waiting for Rey's response. That is why he reacts so negatively when he wakes up alone. He feels completely betrayed
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Supreme Fan

This is an interesting viewpoint

x

Icon Credit
Old 02-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Great analysis

You know what I love about that pic? They are both looking at each other, instead of the saber. His expression is one of "why are you doing this?"
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Supreme Fan

And Rey is apologizing "I'm sorry, Ben." I think that you can see on her face that she doesn's want to this

Icon Credit
Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Definitely the shot where she first reaches for the saber (this pic you posted) shows Rey's reluctance to hurt him this way

It's really tragic that they are somewhat forced to turn against each other, just minutes after having the best team-up in Star Wars history.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Supreme Fan

They had to bring our excitement down somehow

This is funny

Quote:
If you think you’re bad at your job, just think about the fact that Kylo Ren, a.k.a The Jedi Killer, is head-over-heels in love with Rey, a.k.a the only Jedi alive. - x

Icon Credit
Old 02-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Fate stepped in to show Kylo that attempting to be his grandfather means dealing with the romantic baggage that comes with it

Foreshadowing Luke, AND showing that Kylo is both a quick thinker and concerned about Rey -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Fate stepped in to show Kylo that attempting to be his grandfather means dealing with the romantic baggage that comes with it
Yeah, that's like and evil slap to him and a message to him that no matter how hard he tries to be one, he'll never really be a Jedi killer.

Quote:
Foreshadowing Luke, AND showing that Kylo is both a quick thinker and concerned about Rey -
Luke's death surprised me. I forgot about that moment with Kylo and Rey.

Icon Credit
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Everything is pointing to Kylo and Rey being neutralized - becoming the ultimate middle ground Grey Jedi There is no good and evil, dark and light. It's central.

The foreshadowing of Luke was another clever move by Rian, because some audience members still haven't picked up on the fact that Kylo knew that force projection of that magnitude would likely have fatal consequences for the human body. TLJ haters are still saying "it's stupid that Luke couldn't be there in person" - No, it's not And Kylo explained why in this first force bond scene. It's a huge deal to force project in terms of using up human energy. I wonder if Rey has thought about this since, and explained to Leia that Kylo understood the risks of Luke being there in person. Also, it's more interesting given that Kylo didn't figure out until Luke's final moments that he was force projecting
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
The foreshadowing of Luke was another clever move by Rian, because some audience members still haven't picked up on the fact that Kylo knew that force projection of that magnitude would likely have fatal consequences for the human body. TLJ haters are still saying "it's stupid that Luke couldn't be there in person" - No, it's not And Kylo explained why in this first force bond scene. It's a huge deal to force project in terms of using up human energy. I wonder if Rey has thought about this since, and explained to Leia that Kylo understood the risks of Luke being there in person. Also, it's more interesting given that Kylo didn't figure out until Luke's final moments that he was force projecting

I don't see how it's relevant in that scene, whether Kylo knew the consequences of Luke projecting himself. It's not like he could do anything about it.

Icon Credit

Last edited by Foxie; 02-19-2018 at 12:25 AM
Old 02-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas (View Post)
You know what I love about that pic? They are both looking at each other, instead of the saber. His expression is one of "why are you doing this?"
Ugh yes
Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Supreme Fan

Everything is heartbreaking about that scene

Icon Credit
Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 PM
New Fan

In that picture with both of them reaching for the sabre, the text is from a fanfic "novelization" of the scene. The author didn't credit herself in the picture for some reason, but if you go to her site (No Apology Book Reviews) there are several scenes from TLJ she "novelized." They're pretty good, I like how she views Ben. She even wrote kind of a biography for him using quotes out of the books.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:20 AM
Supreme Fan

I've read a "novelisation" called "Let old things die" and this is what intrigued me:

Quote:
Unfortunately, she can’t just politely decline and walk away. Even if she thought he would take it well, she wasn’t leaving without Luke’s lightsaber—which was currently gripped in the hand not presented to her. Would he give it to her if she asked? Doubtful. As soon as he registers her betrayal, for he would perceive it as such, he wouldn’t be in the mood to arm her, much less with a weapon that holds so much significance. He’s spiteful like that. Or rather, Kylo Ren is. She has to take it from him, and right now she would have the element of surprise while he’s focused on her and all but forgotten the saber.

So we wrote here before, that Rey reachning for the saber could have been some sort a easy way out for her, but I don't think we considered that fact that it was Luke's saber and she probably wanted it back. She wouldn't just leave the saber there with him. And it was her saber now after all. Of course that she would wanna have it. And she just couldn't be sure about his reaction, if she told him, that she not only declines his offer, but also that she wants the saber back.

So after doing some thinking, I think that her reaching for the hand first might have been premeditated. And I don't think it's such a bad thing. She did what she had to do. She wanted to save her friends and she wanted the saber back as soon as possible. And it's not like she didn't feel terrible about it. I think that you can see it on her face, when she finally grabbed the saber. She was apologizing, because she knew how much she hurt him.

Honestly, the whole throne room proposal is kinda confusing to me. There are many different interpretations of what was actually going through their, or rather Rey's, heads. Thank god the novelisation will be here soon and hopefully it will clear things up for us.

Definitely read the whole thing, it's interesting

Icon Credit

Last edited by Foxie; 02-19-2018 at 02:37 AM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top