kostilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Happy Supergirl Day!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm30 (View Post)
I already asked about this in the news forum and I hope CBS posts a bulletin before the episode airs explaining the swoop because of the events. I'm Canadian; so I won't know if they will or not.
I don't think they will.

mia toretto brian o'conner
lex luthor lana lang | jordan ♥ t.c.
clary fray ♥ jace herondale | jax ♥ tara
haylie | icon | LJ | tumblr
Lexipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Total Fan

* Kara and Cat bonding? I kinda like it...

* Just wondering -- why was Kara's hair brunette when she was a kid? I thought she was supposed to be naturally blonde?

* I admit it... I laughed when Jeremiah said "I know everything there is to know about Superman". Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman still holds a special place in my heart.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Fan

It was an ok episode but Livewire wasn't really featured enough I felt. I loved the way they had her turn into Livwire by having the lightning hit Kara and that giving her, her powers.

I found it weird that Kara makes sure to correct whatshisname that whatshername is her FOSTER mother but she considers Alex a sister. Was surprised that we learned whathisname/Dean Cain is dead.

The tension between Alex/whatshername felt to quick to me, like I don't know them well enough and Helen Slater has only been in like 1 episode for me to really feel or care about their tension.

Livewire was great though for as little as I felt we got of her. If she appears again, get rid of the long wig and give her a pixie cut.

I am not feeling the DEO though and if this series lasts longer then a season (sadly I don't see it happening), I hope it blows up.
Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Total Fan

That episode was fantastic! A bit heavier with the Alex/Mom stuff than I was expecting, but that made it pay off better with their scene at the end that made me tear up.

I don't think the narrative suffered AT ALL from the episode skip. Winn's line about talking about metephorical bombs and not real ones clearly referenced last week's episode, but it's not a confusing line out of context, it's easy to assume she's dealt with things like that off screen when we're not watching her, and there was obviously James/Lucy stuff we missed, but given last week they said they were going to talk, it's easy to reason they worked stuff out off screen as well. Not idea, obviously, but its not confusing in anyway and I don't think I would have questioned things if I didn't know they were airing out of order.

Back to the episode though, it was nice to hear a bit more about Winn and just hear about his life, however breif the lines were, outside of Supergirl/the Office. His scenes with Kara were great as well, I really like how they're writing that arc, and how Melissa and Jeremy are playing it. It balances nicely, you can feel bad for Winn, without it feeling over the top, because it's clear it's not just that she doesn't quite get it, it's also that even though he's stepping it up a bit, he's still tentative about it, so its like he's not completely going after what he wants, he's still too scared to lay it out on the line, so it's like it's sad she doesn't feel the same way, but it's also that he's not being 100% clear. I like it being muddled that way, it feels more realistic than just oh poor winn he's getting the shaft, I feel bad for him without feeling like he's just a lowly victim or something, if that makes sense! I look forward to their scenes because I really like how he and Melissa play off each other.

Kara and Cat's scene was wonderful, their many scenes actually and I loved seeing another side of Cat. It didn't feel forced either, I think she took a really realistic and understandable journey in this episode.

As for livewire? PLEASE PLEASE LET HER COME BACK AT SOME POINT. she's my favorite baddie so far, she was fantastic!
Personal Tumblr
bellectrifying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
* I admit it... I laughed when Jeremiah said "I know everything there is to know about Superman". Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman still holds a special place in my heart.
i kept thinking that too. im like thats cuz HE IS SUPERMAN!!!!!
but then they had to go and reveal that jeremiah is dead. wtf? i love dean cain, i was so looking forward to seeing him on my tv on a regular basis again. (i miss L&C so much)

watching livewire move around all supernatural like was pretty cool to watch. her scenes were great.
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Fan

I don't know why every villain of the week has to be captured in the end, I know they do it to show that Kara has succeeded but she can save the day while the bad guy runs away to fight another day.
Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
As for livewire? PLEASE PLEASE LET HER COME BACK AT SOME POINT. she's my favorite baddie so far, she was fantastic!
Yes! Loved her character!

IMO, this was the best episode of Supergirl especially the flashbacks when Kara and Alex were little girls. Loved the character development of Cat.

When Dean Cain said "I know everything there is to know about Superman". I was yelling at the tv because I loved his show Lois & Clark.

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
baelfire24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
IMO, this was the best episode of Supergirl especially the flashbacks when Kara and Alex were little girls. Loved the character development of Cat.
I was literally coming here to say this. This was one of my favorite episodes.

I mean this episode worked well as a replacement episode

mia toretto brian o'conner
lex luthor lana lang | jordan ♥ t.c.
clary fray ♥ jace herondale | jax ♥ tara
haylie | icon | LJ | tumblr
Lexipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)

I am not feeling the DEO though and if this series lasts longer then a season (sadly I don't see it happening), I hope it blows up.
I would prefer Jimmy/Kara/Winn/Alex doing the superheroing, and just have the DEO as an ally, and a place to hold aliens/metahumans rather than actually working out of there.

Although, if they do cut the team down to just J/K/W/A, they need to move somewhere that's NOT at work, since Cat is going to get curious at some point.

If Supergirl does get cancelled, I really hope they bring it to the CW and join it with Flash/Arrow somehow. It would do well on there. Heck, Kara could come through one of the multi-verse breeches on The Flash to connect the shows, then she can pop back to her own Earth, and continue the series from there if they don't want to tie the shows together on a regular basis.

On a side note: I was wondering how they'd bring in Winn's comic book history, and the comment about his dad being in jail answered that for me. I'm guessing his Dad was the infamous Toyman, and he was already defeated by Superman and locked up.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Absolute Fan

Best episode so far, and one that didn't really suffer, IMO, from being aired out of sequence.

I have never seen the 1984 Supergirl movie or Helen Slater's guest tenure on Smallville, but did know who she is, so her recurring role in the series is exciting for me less because of nostalgia and more because of what her character's presence brings to the table in terms of narrative development, and I really liked the way they used her.

She played off of both Chyler and Melissa very, very well, and my favorite scene was when she and Alex have their 'truce' chat. For all of the 'pricklyness' of their interactions through a lot of the episode, it's easy to see that Eliza does love both Kara and Alex equally, even if she seemed to be far harder on Alex than she was on Kara.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Kara uses the terms "adoptive" and "foster" almost interchangeably, and it's clear that she recognizes, appreciates, and loves Eliza for the ways in which she (and presumably Jeremiah as well) took care of her, so there's no disrespect being meant by her use of those terms.

Cat Grant continues to be one of my favorite parts of the show, and I love that her relationship with Kara is slowly evolving and changing. She does clearly care about Kara and her other employees, even if the way she that demonstrates said feelings isn't all that pleasant.

I don't know about anyone else, but I loved Livewire's look here and can't wait to see if/when she returns. I somehow missed her taunting of Supergirl during their third confrontation, but still loved the way they went at it. The effects during those sequences were great, and both the actors and stunt performers did an excellent job.

I have no idea where they're going with Hank Henshaw's character, but I like that Eliza doesn't have the highest opinion of him or his motives after losing her husband to the DEO, and that her feelings have been passed on to Alex and Kara, because it adds new layers of intrigue and nuance to their own working relationship with him.

It usually bugs me when things are aired out of sequence, but given the reasons for doing so in this case, it's understandable, and there really wasn't anything in the episode that was too jarring as a result of airing this episode this week instead of the one that precedes it.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Review time.

~*~*~

I was back and forth in regards to the switch. I can understand the standing in solidarity but what I've always loved about the, for lack of a general term to encompass things, 'Super-Verse', is that they take the very real tragedies and use them as a stepping stone for hope. That's where I could have seen that the "How Does She Do It" episode could have worked. Taking the plot of a terrorist bombing and lifting people's spirits by showing us that, yes while fiction, at least this world gives us something to where we can be 'taken out of reality' and cheer for the hero when she stops the events.

The downside to that though is also the simple fact that when it comes to reality, we don't have a real Superman or a real Supergirl to stop such events from happening. We're left with that hard truth where no one can save us so it becomes our job to do the next best thing: stand together with those who are in peril.

So with that said, it's my simple (1 out of 7+Billion) opinion that either scenario could have worked.

~*~*~*

Now onto the rest of my review...

~*~*~

Livewire: Normally I wouldn't start by talking about the villain but in this case it's exactly where I'm starting.

Ever since I was a little kid back in the 90s and saw her in Superman: The Animated Series I have always wanted a live action version of the character. (I won't even touch the version that was created on Smallville because it's not even worth mentioning).

Supergirl, though on the other hand executed (see the pun there), the character flawlessly! When it comes to TV versions there can only be so much to expect but the show really did an amazing job.

The CGI effects were spot on and even better than what I pictured in my mind. And the best part, a small one but enough for me, was that they showed her going through an electrical socket! There was a scene of that in S:AS which is what hooked me to the character in the first place.

Loved all the fights with her and Supergirl and their quips to each other.

So suffice to say I was very happy with the character!

~*~*~

Cat/Kara: Wow. This was truly an episode for them. They were partners through and through both as boss and assistant and as partner to Supergirl. I loved both dynamics.

The part that killed me the most though was Cat telling Kara to go home to her family and then Kara opening up to Cat about being adopted. Seeing those two have such a heart to heart like that was beautiful.

Cat has a protectiveness over Supergirl which I find pretty surprising. Sure she considers Supergirl as a 'brand' but there's also a maternal instinct there and with Kara it was felt even more so.

~*~*~

The Danvers: No onto the topic of mothers. Helen fits in so perfectly as Eliza. The dynamic between her, Melissa, and Chyler was incredible. You could see the chemistry between the sisters but the chemistry with the mother is just as prevalent and it works!

Seeing Alex and Chyler fighting was sad but we got so see both perspectives and they came to a great resolution at the end.

And then to find out that Eliza knew all about the DOA, crazy! I was so afraid for her, thinking something bad might happen to her before she got to tell the girls about Henshaw. So glad, and relieved, that wasn't the case.

~*~*~

The Danvers Flashback: Okay how cool was that Alex/Kara scene with the girls flying?! I adored it.

And the moments with Jeremiah, him going with the DOA so that they wouldn't get to Kara- damn talk about intense!

Since he's dead I do hope we get more flashbacks in the future. I need more Dean Cain!

~*~*~

Now for some randomness that doesn't fit into my listings...

~*~*~

By far my favorite two lines of the episode were these:

"No one knows more about Superman than me."- Jeremiah Danvers (Dean Cain)

"Shut up you mean girl!"- Supergirl

~*~*~

-Jimmy calling Kara on Thanksgiving. Guess things aren't going well with Lucy.

-Personally I am so over love triangles so at this point I'm not shipping Kara with anyone. She has such different dynamics with Jimmy and Winn that I'm fine with either.

-Speaking of Winn, glad that we got to know more of his backstory. I so can't wait for his daddy to come into the picture!!

~*~*~

Overall, best episode of the season for me so far!

~*~*~

Oh totally forgot to add one more thing...

~*~*~

Now this is a total feminist comment but I had to mention it.

How sick was all of the girl power in this ep!

The guys were pretty much background noise (sorry but I have to be excited about that because its' about damn time. sorry/not sorry! )

The girl power dominated more than 90% of screen time (that's just a guess- I really suck at math).

Never have I seen a show with that much creative ability when it comes to the use of their female characters. They don't need men to prop them up.

That said, I wanted to bitch-slap Leslie when she talked about Supergirl's lack of a relationship. Not every girl needs that, sheesh!

With that bit aside though, I loved all of the female dynamics we got.
Emma♥Neal

Last edited by Ron_Beckett; 11-17-2015 at 10:19 AM
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Absolute Fan

I don't know if many others would have noticed this, but Kara has never once used the term" ADOPTED" in relation to the Danverses; it's always been either "ADOPTIVE" or "FOSTER", which means that they never formally made her a legal part of their family even though she uses their last name. She does consider them her family, but there's still a certain degree of separation there as well... hence why she uses the terms that she does.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

True. A lot of times though, especially on television, the words are used interchangeably- that's something tv shows haven't corrected quite yet.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread