Old 10-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

[Episode Discussion] 5x1 - "Event Horizon" Oct 6th 2019

Season 5, Episode 1
"Event Horizon"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Sunday Oct 6th 2019

Quote:
Kara is surprised to find CatCo has a new owner who has brought in a star reporter; new couples emerge and explore their budding relationships; J'onn J'onzz receives an unexpected visitor.
Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
karamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Total Fan

New Season!! Finally!!!

- Aaaaaaaand we start with Lena punching Kara out in VR. With a talking AI.

That AI’s going to go the way of Skynet, isn’t it?

(Actual prediction: That AI will hear Lena being angry and petty about Supergirl/Kara, and slowly develop a life of its own, and try to kill Kara on Lena's behalf)

- Lena: I’m not a villain. I just want my best friend to suffer for not coming out to me.
Me: Ummm…. That’s… not how it works?

- So Lena bought Catco for Kara? If I recall correctly, she bought it so Morgan Edge wouldn’t use it for Propaganda.

- Brainy seems personally offended by Kara’s cape being ruined

- Andrea: You all have a new 3yr contact. If you don’t like it, I’ll fire you and you can’t work for 3yrs.
Me: Wow … Lena trapped them all in a crappy contract. In an attempt to get back at Kara, she punished her entire staff. That’s some otherworldly pettiness.

- I love Kara standing up against her boss. Much better than when she stumbled over her words standing up to Snapper.

- Brainy made the suit! Brainy made the suit! YAY!

- Kara finally told Lena the truth. That was such a heart touching scene. I wanted to hug Kara.

To bad Lena continues to be petty. How long before Lena uses the signal watch to lure Kara into a trap?

Bring on Villain!Lena
Old 10-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Passionate Fan

Lena is proving that she is no better than the rest of the Luthors. Yes Kara was wrong not to tell her but for her to still plot against her makes her no different from Lex.

Very good episode.
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Why is Lena showing this strong anger? Where did it come from? I feel it is a bit misplaced/out of character?
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Old 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love Lena. A lot. Still upset with her that she's acting like a child.
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I am so glad Kara told Lena she is Supergirl. Kara wasn't forced to tell her, she wanted to tell her and told her on her own. Something to remember... Kara wanted to tell Lena last season but Alex stopped her. There were moments Kara has wanted to tell Lena, it is not like this was sudden either. At any rate, the confession felt real and powerful. Melissa Benoist knocked it out of the park and Katie McGrath was great as well. From a psychological perspective, given Lena's history (let alone, genes), I understand why she cannot easily get over this reality. Again, we are talking family genes and the hurt in general in different relationships she has endured. Kara is her very best friend. It stings. Yet, the second I heard Kara's confession (which made 100% sense) most (even a very hurt one with painful scars of the past) would forgive. Lena didn't. It's sad and frustrating. Not only will she not forgive or just need time to get over it... but as we see... it sounds like she's going to adjust her grand plan to ruin Supergirl/Kara. We are talking major darkness collecting inside of Lena which sucks. Of course, I suspect she won't completely go dark and things will work out eventually but it's going to take a while for this storyline to play out. I just hope too much damage won't be done until then.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson (View Post)
Lena is proving that she is no better than the rest of the Luthors. Yes Kara was wrong not to tell her but for her to still plot against her makes her no different from Lex.

Very good episode.
I agree. She’s acting like a petulant child.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson (View Post)

I get Lena being upset she was lied to. That does not, however, give her permission to out Kara to the world (which she would have if Kara hadn't told her the truth), nor does it give her permission to emotionally manipulate Kara for revenge.

However this plays out, Lena has already crossed the line for me, because when Kara finally came out to her and TOLD her why she was so scared of doing it, Lena just proved that Kara was right to be afraid.
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think that due to Lena's upbringing she may be a bit mentally unstable. She has constantly been betrayed & the one person she thought she could trust had been lying to her about something big. I can understand how that could mess her up. Wouldn't necessarily turn her in to a villain though-- but I've known people who are more petty & who have done much worse than Lena did (my own neighbors being among them). I'm sort of wondering if the VR things are actually affecting her brain & manipulating her somewhat.

Maybe the writers forgot her true reason for buying Catco, or maybe she just told Kara that to make her feel even more guilty. Also, I totally agree that the AI is going to go rogue & cause problems & eventually Lena will have to help them defeat it. I sort of get the feeling that she's more reluctant than she is admitting but she's trying to follow through & the AI is encouraging it. It's almost like she's bluffing or putting on a false sense of bravado with the AI (if that makes any sense). I do think on some level that she still cares & wants to forgive Kara but she's very angry & found out in the worst way.

The handshaking thing with Brainy & Nia was weird because they were more affectionate with one another at the end of last season. I did find it amusing that Brainy mentioned having "a lot" of experience though. Not sure if he means in number of partners or just the amount of "romantic experience" he had with limited individuals. I'm guessing he was refraining from that since he came back to the past.

I'm also wondering where he lives/sleeps because they haven't established if he crashes at Winn's place or got his own or if he naps in a closet at the DEO.

I did love Brainy going on about how awful it would be to have a torn cape when trying to escape some sort of creature in some situation (can't remember the details) and how important it was to have the cape fixed. I love that he gave her an entirely new suit with pants all on his own without consulting her on costume ideas-- of course, being from the future he would know what her costumes would look like.

I'm hoping that Alex's girlfriend (I know her name but am totally blanking right now) will not have too much trouble when the head of her company starts doing more overt evil.

I wonder if James is just gone or if he will be in the next episode to explain his departure.

Also, on the "new 3-year contract" thing- it sounded like she was saying it was just being implemented when she took over. If they didn't agree to it & sign off on it, I don't believe it is legally binding. I don't think Lena had that contract with her employees and the word "new" was used. But then, these shows tend to fudge things a lot on legalities.

I forgot to mention that I love how Brainy, Nia, and Kara were all in their suits & Alex comes running in all exasperated with the "How do you change so quickly?!" LOL.

Last edited by zannej; 10-10-2019 at 03:13 PM
zannej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Moderator Support Team

i love how excited kara was that her new suit had pants

Lena really is a Luther. she is just as petty as the rest of them. and Andrea i have a feeling is going to be trouble as well
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quick review is that I watched and loved this episode and the main issue I am having is with the writing of Lena that makes zero sense.

How the heck did Supergirl/Kara betray her?
She's literally acting like she and Kara has been BFF since season 1!! She came into the series in season 2 and they slowly gained a friendship and weren't BFF instantly, it happened over time so of course the second they become friends Kara ain't going to just spill out HER OWN SECRET!!! Kara has to protect herself.

I am sorry I just can't understand Lena, ESPECIALLY after Kara told Lena the truth! that should've let Lena change everything she thought she felt about Kara.

So Lena take several seats because I can't. lol
Lena is still intriguing to me but I just don't get it here.

The Nina/Brainy stuff was cute, I enjoyed it.

James quit! dang.

Alex stuff is always great.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
New Season!! Finally!!!

- Aaaaaaaand we start with Lena punching Kara out in VR. With a talking AI.

That AI’s going to go the way of Skynet, isn’t it?

(Actual prediction: That AI will hear Lena being angry and petty about Supergirl/Kara, and slowly develop a life of its own, and try to kill Kara on Lena's behalf)
Probably.
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM
I am a basketball genius!

What did you think of there being a T-Rex on this episode? I did find it kinda funny that Supergirl's cape had holes in it. You guys pretty much summed up that Lena/Kara situation. Lena should've been told by Kara sooner about this secret & also if Lena wanted to, she probably could have figured it out by herself I think since she spent so much time with Kara last season particularly.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved that scene when Nia asked Kara and Alex, who the best villian in the movie world is and Kara said Voldemort I love every Harry Potter reference! It´s so great that they used them so often there
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread