Elite Fan

I love this couple a lot

“Can I say something?’
‘Go on’
‘I’m a little drunk’
‘Me too. That’s okay.’
‘Just….I missed you, you know.’
‘I missed you too.’
‘But so, so much, Dexter. There were so many things I wanted to talk to you about, and you weren’t there-’
‘same here.’
‘I tell you what it is. It’s…..When I didn’t see you, I thought about you every day, I mean EVERY DAY in some way or another-’
‘same here.’
….
‘It won’t be like that, I promise.’
‘Do you?’
‘Absolutely’
‘You swear? No more disappearing?’
‘I won’t if you won’t.’
Their lips touched now, mouths pursed tight, their eyes open, both of them stock still. The moment held, a kind of glorious confusion.”
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

“Sorry’ he said. ‘No, I’m sorry.’ ‘What are you sorry for?’ ‘Rattling on like a mad old cow. I’m sorry, I’m tired, bad day, and I’m sorry for being so boring.’ ‘You’re not that boring.’ ‘I am, Dex. God, I swear I bore myself.’ ‘Well, you don’t bore me.’ He took her hand in his. ‘You could never bore me. You’re one in a million, Em.”

Quote:
Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess trace their paths to 'One Day'

In the romantic drama “One Day,” which opens Friday, Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess play two people who have absolutely nothing in common, except that they’re best friends. Hathaway’s Emma is a frumpy, self-deprecating dreamer, who whiles away her time hoping to become a great writer. Sturgess’ Dexter is a full-of-himself, kind of caddish fellow who cruises through life without thinking about the future.

The film, based on the bestselling novel by David Nicholls, traces their histories, checking in on what’s going on with them, alone and together, on the same July date over a period of 20 years. The story, naturally, gets around to how similar, not how different, they are.

In real life, the two actors – she’s 29, he’s a baby-faced 33 – had never met before making the film and, unlike Emma and Dexter, they do share at least a facet of something in common: a certain Shakespeare play.

Before making “One Day,” Sturgess starred in a fantasy film called “Upside Down” that’s scheduled for release early next year.

“It’s about these two worlds. One’s called Down Below, and one’s called Up Top,” he said earlier this week in a New York hotel room. “My character is from the Down Below world, which is a kind of poverty-stricken, almost Communist-ruled landscape. And he’s basically fallen in love with this girl from Up Top. But the two worlds don’t mix. It’s like ‘Romeo and Juliet’ but family’s not getting in the way. In this film it’s gravity, which is kind of an interesting concept.”

Later in the day, Hathaway was wrapped up in thinking about the roles that have eluded her.

“Unfortunately I think I’ve just crossed the too-old mark for the part I’ve always wanted to play,” she said, frowning. “I’ve always wanted to be Juliet, but maybe I can find like a 40-year-old Romeo. I was talking with someone the other day and they were trying to tell me that Juliet wasn’t actually a great part, that it was fairly obvious and surfacy, and I just let him have it. I said, ‘What are you talking about? It’s a story about a girl, and her heart opening, and she’s as passionate as ‘Joan of Arc.’ That’s another one! Oh God! All the classics! It would be so much fun, all the fun Shakespearean ones.”

But both actors were in town to do their part in talking up “One Day.”

Hathaway said she read the script before reading the novel.

“It was in December 2009,” she remembered. “I had just wrapped ‘Love And Other Drugs’ and had a two-week panic that I was never going to work again. Then I got sent ‘One Day’ and then it became a full-frontal assault to get the part.”

Asked what attracted her to it, she said, “Emma was the most honest, complex, beautifully drawn character I’d found since ‘Rachel Getting Married.’ And I try not to leave any stone unturned until I get the opportunity. The problem is when you get the opportunity and you’re like, ‘Oh, I’ve got it! Oh, God, what am I going to do with it?’ Then it becomes a whole other set of emotions that you have to deal with.”

Sturgess, on the other hand, didn’t go running after the part. It was pretty much casually offered to him.

“I was sent the script as, I think, a lot of people in England were,” he said. “I read it and then went in for an audition with Lone (Scherfig, the director), in London. We talked about the project and the character, then I did some reading with a casting agent. I didn’t hear anything about it for a while, then I got a phone call asking if I would fly to Los Angeles to meet with Anne, to do some more reading. So I did that, then I got the part.”

Sturgess went quiet for a moment, then added, “It was weird. I was about three-quarters of the way through the book, just enjoying the read, like anybody else. I was really immersed in the story, then suddenly I got the call saying I got the part, and it just totally ruined the last quarter of the book for me. I said, ‘Oh, God, now I guess I’m going to be this guy.’”

Sturgess admitted that he knows “a load of people like Dexter. Living in London, you see a lot of those people hanging around swanky bars in Soho. I was very aware of the type of person he was, from a sort of over-privileged background … those guys that swung around in expensive bars and posh restaurants. So I was excited to play someone that, at first, I didn’t particularly like, but then sort of got to look into his life. I found myself defending him to all the girls who were working on the crew that just hated him. I was like, ‘He’s all right; he’s a good person.’”

Each actor has a different approach, or at least attitude, toward the craft.

“I’ve tried my hardest with the opportunities or whatever’s on offer to do something different every time,” said Sturgess. “So after doing a musical (‘Across the Universe’), I did a sort of period film (‘The Other Boleyn Girl’) and then I did a sort of slick Hollywood film (‘21’) and then a slightly darker thriller (‘50 Dead Men Walking’), then a sort a war epic (‘The Way Back’), and then ‘Upside Down.’ Now there’s this romance film. I didn’t think I wanted to do a romance film, but then I read the script, and it was just so good and so ungeneric. It had something really special and different.

“It’s been amazing working with lots of different directors,” he added. “You really just kind of learn and learn and learn, and I guess your confidence grows, the more people you work with.”

Hathaway was asked what she meant by saying she thought she was never going to work again after “Love and Other Drugs.”

“Every actor feels that,” she said. “We’re all a mixture of arrogance and insecurity. Worry comes with the territory of being an actor. You don’t come into this profession for the job security. I’m playing at a pretty high level now, and there’s a lot of things beyond your control. You can be doing fine work and people just decide they’re bored with you. And then all of a sudden you don’t get the opportunity to do things. So it makes you appreciate the things that you have because it’s so nice to have a script like this and a character like this and, oh my gosh, this is what I get to pour myself into! And the older I get, the more I appreciate these opportunities, because I assume they’re going to become increasingly rare. So you just try to live in the middle of every moment.”
Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess trace their paths to 'One Day'

Quote:

“Confidence is not something that blooms overnight,” says the 28-year-old actress while seated on a couch in the Waldorf Towers on Park Ave. “It takes time to develop — at least it has for me.”

Which is why she relates so well to her character Emma in “One Day,” a love story spanning 20 years based on the best-selling novel by David Nicholls and co-starring Jim Sturgess.

"Emma is a terrifically insecure person at the beginning of the story," says Hathaway. "It takes her a long time to understand and define who she is, and I can really relate to that part of her character.
Accentuating the positive Anne Hathaway finds new outlook after playing a Brit in 'One Day'

'One Day' film review - Film Fracture
One Day script needed ‘varied rhythm’ - Film-News.co.uk
The Blagger's Guide To...'One Day' by David Nicholls - Features, Books - The Independent
Edinburgh embraces a Hollywood affair - News, Films - The Independent

OD movie costumes

Sources: Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess costumes from One Day - JIM STURGESS ONLINE

Press and publicity for 'One Day'

Quote:
Tuesday, August 16
Conan O’Brien (Anne Hathaway)

Wednesday, August 17
The Today Show (Jim Sturgess); Chelsea Lately (Anne Hathaway)

Thursday, August 18
The Today Show (Anne Hathaway); Regis & Kelly (Anne Hathaway); Conan O’Brien (Jim Sturgess); The Daily Show (Anne Hathaway)
Source: Anne Hathaway & Jim Sturgess - News

"We got along really well from the beginning. It was such a nice plus that we were able to become great friends. I met her for the first time in Los Angeles and she was so nice and supportive. She really looked after me throughout that experience because she had already gotten the part before I got mine, you know? We did the read-through and started the rehearsal period, which was really effortless. We got along playing cards and listening to music."
- Jim Sturgess on working with “One Day” co-star, Anne Hathaway

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-14-2011 at 10:20 AM
Gio Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Anne Hathaway Explains 20-Year Fashion Evolution In 'One Day'

by MTV News in Videos

Anne Hathaway is no stranger to movie makeunders thanks to ugly duckling roles in flicks like "The Princess Diaries" and "The Devil Wears Prada." And the 28-year-old starlet will once again toss her lipstick and concealer to the side to portray would-be writer Emma in this week's romantic drama "One Day."

The film follows Emma—and her complicated relationship with Jim Sturgess' Dex—over the span of 20 years, a concept Anne found more than a little intriguing

"Initially I thought, 'What an amazing opportunity. How much fun is it going to be to age 20 years?' Then the closer I got to doing the film, I realized that everything had to be noticeable but it also had to be incredibly subtle," she said.

Thankfully, Anne had an expert wardrobe and makeup team to lead her into frump-a-dump land.

"At the beginning of the film, she is not fashionable," explained costume designer Odile Dicks-Mireaux. "So some of the things she's wearing, in fact, are slightly more old-fashioned than perhaps the current high fashion of the time to show that that's not what she's about."

"We had to sort of find a way to make her young, very sweet, but nothing very glamorous," echoed make-up designer Ivana Primorac. "And with Anne Hathaway, that's very hard."

And, as Anne herself admitted, each look had to be strategic. "Every decision is calculated from wardrobe to how does Emma change. How do we use clothes to reflect that? It wasn't enough to find a look, we had to go a lot deeper. We had to ask ourselves, why did she choose this?"
Source: Anne Hathaway Explains 20-Year Fashion Evolution In 'One Day'

Quote:
'One Day' Costars Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess Take On 'Yes/No Show' In After Hours

by MTV News in Videos

And...we're back with another episode of the "Yes/No Show" with host MTV News Movie Guy Josh Horowitz. This week's victims lucky contestants? Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess who star in the romantic drama "One Day," out this Friday.

It's clear from Josh's new, very official-looking podium, that he's upping the ante in this latest After Hours. To wit, the host pulls no punches, throwing out numerous doozies, like, has Jim ever watched "Princess Diaries" (no) and will Anne's Catwoman be better than Halle Berry's (yes, courtesy of Jim)?

It's all awkward, all the time, so click play on the video above to experience it for yourself.

What yes/no question would you ask Anne and Jim?
Source: 'One Day' Costars Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess Take On 'Yes/No Show' In After Hours

“It’s very hard not to get along with Jim. If you don’t get along with Jim, then there’s something seriously wrong with you.”
— Anne Hathaway

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-16-2011 at 09:34 AM
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Elite Fan

Jim Sturgess Interview For ‘One Day’ | Flicks and Bits
Anne Hathaway is ‘living in the moment’

Quote:
ONE DAY Review: Tender, Mostly Successful Adaptation of the Novel

It’s difficult to sit in a Tube carriage these days and not find someone brandishing that distinctive orange-and-white book cover belonging to one of the most acclaimed romantic novels of the 21st century thus far. Though there’s the obvious imperative to read the book before the film comes out, one senses that One Day’s nascent popularity is rather owed to its own considerable merits; David Nicholls’ 2009 novel is a witty, often wrenching examination of relationships and people over a twenty-year period, and with substantial success it is brought to the screen here by talented helmer Lone Scherfig (An Education).

One Day begins on July 15th, 1988, as graduating students Emma Morley (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter Mayhew (Jim Sturgess) stand on the precipice of adulthood, pondering what is to become of their lives from this point. The story reconvenes with the two – sometimes together, sometimes not – on July 15th every year for twenty years, to observe how their friendship evolves, and also how they change as people.

There is the obvious challenge of bringing anything with a devoted fan-base to the big screen, especially something as densely-packed as this. However, the segmented, bite-sized format does lend itself extremely well to the film form, even if ultimately Emma and Dexter’s story might have been more rewarding for purists as a 4-hour mini series. Naturally, some of the novel’s memorable beats have had to miss the cut – Emma’s affair with a headteacher is excised entirely – while other, more contentious emotional moments are removed simply because they cannot gather significant emotional momentum over a 108-minute film without probably seemingly grossly manipulative (for the book’s most devastating moment has its subsequent sting-in-the-tail curtailed here).

Perhaps most awkwardly replicated is the brief moments of disconnect between Dexter and his ailing mother (played wonderfully here by Patricia Clarkson), because they are effectively reduced to just a few minutes of screen time, well-played though they are. Still, for praise where praise is due, this is a hearty, loving adaptation which understands the essence of Nicholls’s novel and fits Scherfig’s sumptuous style – complete with a beautiful score from Rachel Portman – like a glove.

While treating the script with respect is one thing, finding suitable performers is in its own way just as important. While she plays the part with the spunky vigour needed for Emma, hardcore fans of the book are liable to find Anne Hathaway’s casting reflective of Hollywood tokenism in order that the film might play more successfully with international audiences. Hathaway’s slender frame and classical beauty distance her considerably from the slightly homelier, though still naturally beautiful Emma envisioned in the book. More importantly, though, in a rare dodgy turn for the actress, her accent is all over the place, fleeting from generic received pronunciation to a hatchet-job Yorkshire accent which actually sounds not quite North enough. She layers on the charm such that it is only occasionally distracting, if proof enough that casting a home-grown talent might have resulted in a more faithful turn.

Jim Sturgess, on the other hand, is immaculately cast as the cocky, well-to-do Dexter; embodying both the character’s buffoonish charm and the more grim realities of his life, Sturgess plays the role with an industrious fidelity which implies a studious examination of the novel, or simply an intuitive interpretation of a tragic, flawed, though strangely likeable human being.

Fanatics of Nicholls’ literary work will likely find fault with what has been left out and the aforementioned questionable casting, but importantly, the soul of the novel has been retained in tact, of how time changes people, and that we never truly know what is around the corner. One Day is at once a heartbreaking and uplifting novel, and thanks to Lone Scherfig, it’s also an emotive, tender film which both camps – those familiar with the book and not – are liable to appreciate in different ways.

Get past Anne Hathaway’s ropey stab at a Yorkshire accent and what you get is a film which understands the devastating but also very funny heart of its source material.
ONE DAY Review: Tender, Mostly Successful Adaptation of the Novel | WhatCulture!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Absolute Fan

So, I went and saw the movie today...this is the first time I've ever read the book beforehand, and I was so happy to find that the movie completely did it justice!

Anne and Jim absolutely brought these characters to life, and you can quite literally FEEL the longing between the two of them as the movie progresses. I feel like the debate over whether or not Anne's accent was up to par is irrelevant. Once the movie gets going, it's something that falls by the wayside as you get drawn into the story more and more...there are a few minor changes to the timeline, but nothing that affects the story in any way. And the crazy chemistry between the two...it's not even a question. They've GOT it.

Overall, I thought it was a fantastic adaptation. After seeing it I can't imagine anyone else playing the roles as well as these two did. It's like Anne said in recent interviews (although I'm paraphrasing), "It's like you're actually watching two people's lives... by the time they finally confess their feelings, you feel like they've earned it."

Anyways, that's my two cents on the movie...also, I don't think I've asked to be added to the list yet, so if I could be, I'd love it.

Last edited by R&Tislove; 08-19-2011 at 09:29 PM
R&Tislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:12 AM
Elite Fan

I'm glad that you liked it I loved it too It was amazing!
I agree with your comment, Anne and Jim played these characters very well. I always supported them so I'm really happy about it.

Em and Dex are

I added you on the list
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

add me pls.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Elite Fan

I added you

All the scenes take place on July 15, but every sequence is a new year. Early in the Nineties, Emma and Dexter are on holiday in France. The close-ups were shot in Pinewood, outside London—our last shooting day. So hard to say goodbye. - Lone Scherfig

Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Elite Fan

Jim Sturgess and Anne Hathaway attend the European premiere of 'One Day' at The Vue Westfield on August 23, 2011 in London, England.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

They played their characters so well Especially Jim.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Elite Fan

L-R Jodie Whittaker, David Nicholls, Lone Scherfig, Jim Sturgess, Anne Hathaway, Rafe Spall and Romola Garai attend the European premiere of ‘One Day’ at The Vue Westfield on August 23, 2011 in London, England.

Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess hit the red carpet at the UK premiere of their latest movie, One Day, on Tuesday (August 23) at the Vue Westfield in London, England.
The 28-year-old actress looked stunning in an Alexander McQueen dress and accessorized with jewelry by Tiffany & Co.
One Day tells the story of two young people who are shown each year on the same date to see where they are in their lives. They are sometimes together, sometimes not, on that day.

Anne Hathaway: ‘One Day’ UK Premiere with Jim Sturgess! | Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess : Just Jared

Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 AM
New Fan

Hi I know I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to stop by to sing the praises of One Day like everybody else. I LOVED IT!! They stayed very true to the book and the story. Jim and Anne were perfcect you truly believed they were Dexter and Emma. I really didn't notice Anne's accent or lack there of, the performances are what drew me in. Jim just broke my heart in the last part that's when the tears started coming for me. And Anne did a great job of showing the akward insercurity Emma had . One of my fav scenes they did (beside the holiday one which they did perfectly) is the rooftop conversation. They both broke my heart in that scene. They did it so well. I don't want to spolil anything and I don't know how to do spoilers tags but those who saw know what I'm talking about. I can't wait for the DVD you know there will be deleated scenes and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for commentary b/c those two are just adoarble together. I give it a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. If it was at a closer theatre I go and see it again. I just may have to b/c I can't stop thinking about it. Anne and Jim are Dex and Em and no one else can be them♥
Rockin Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Elite Fan

I'm glad to see you here I agree with your comment and I can't wait for the DVD too

'One Day' UK Press Conference - 08/23/2011

Sources: Jim Sturgess Online - 'One Day' UK Press Conference Live

Stills

BTS

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-24-2011 at 04:02 AM
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
New Fan

Anne and Jim are so adorable I love their friendship I can't wait to see all the vids that hopefully get made form this movie!
Rockin Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

God this was SUCH a SAD movie I did not expect that ending AT ALL. I'd figured they'd have a child and it would be a nice ending. OY!
Em183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Elite Fan

I wanted a different ending too, I can't forget how shocked me that page when I read it. Anyway it's a great love story. Emma will always be his true love. No one could replace her in his heart Jim and Anne played them very well. I cried a lot again

Jim: “Music played a bit part. We were stuck in the make-up chairs for a long time so we played a lot of music. We just sort of hung out.”
Anne: “We went out a lot in Edinburgh.”
Jim: “We bonded over some Scotch whiskey and got stuck in there. It was pretty effortless.”
Anne: (to Jim) “You’re pretty fun to be around.”
Jim: (teasing) “You’re alright.”

Source: Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess One Day interview | just sayin' - Yahoo! omg! UK

Jim: “I was just so lucky me and Anne got on so well… we developed a friendship of our own.”

“It seems Anne’s in the firing line for that but she’s an actress. And when you’re an actress or an actor you play lots of different people from different walks of life from different parts of the world. That’s what makes acting so interesting so it seems a shame that she comes over here [to the UK] and people are giving her a hard time. She does an amazing job in the film.”
“We got on very well, we were with each other every day.”

- Jim Sturgess

Quote:
It must take a certain type of man to win Anne Hathaway's affections, but then her One Day costar actor Jim Sturgess is not your average find! *SWOON*

The new face on the Hollywood block is our latest man crush and with good reason! Not only is he lovely to look at *YUM* he also plays the tortured and hugely interesting Dexter in new movie One Day, based on the novel.

While his puppy dog brown eyes have us hooked, his jokey personality also made us feel a little bit funny (in a good way.) When asked how he felt about starring in the new movie, Jim told us: 'I was just excited to be in a film that someone might actually go and see.' *CHUCKLE*

And One Day is definitely a movie you'll want to see, and not just for the male eye candy! It's not your average romantic tear jerker — it's an unpredictable love story that has you hating yet loving the male lead, Dexter as he breaks Emma's (played by Anne Hathaway ) heart year after year. The film follows the couple who meet on 15 July 1988 at university and then charts their friendship over 20 years on the same day each time with twists and turns of their love affair.

What really struck us when we met the One Day stars, Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, was how their on-screen chemistry carried on once the cameras stopped rolling. Rather than a couple with ozzles of sexual tension in the film they're like a pair of best mates (we're not sure we'd be able to stay friends with a man like Jim.) But, if you'd like to know how you can flirt/ form a friendship with Jim Anne Hathaway style, this is what the pair told us:

Jim: 'I was just so lucky [that] me and Anne got on so well. And I was blessed that we developed a friendship of our own as we went through the filming of One Day. We didn't ever really talk about [the chemistry on screen].'

Anne: 'I came in with a list of chemistry exercises, I didn't realize you [Jim] were too cool for that.'

So, how did they go for barely knowing each other to best buddies? It was all down to some paper and an ipod…

'Music played a bit part,' said Jim. 'We were stuck in the make-up chairs for a long time so we played a lot of music. We just sort of hung out.'

Before Jim had a chance to finish Anne chimed in, almost finishing off his sentence, 'We did play a lot of cards [S**T head to be exact]. And we talked about music a lot!'

Jim carried on reminiscing about the first time the two met, 'I flew out to LA to meet with Anne a long time before we started filming, we read over some scenes and stuff. So I knew then we'd get on and I felt really good about that before we started the film I felt easy about it.'

And Anne wasn't just lucky enough to have locked lips and worked with Jim… 'We went out a lot in Edinburgh,' she told us. *JEALOUS*

'We bonded over some Scotch whiskey and got stuck in there. It was pretty effortless,' Jim added, making us wish we could stomach whiskey! I think we'd try for him!

And if our crush on Jim wasn't already cemented, Anne (seemingly ignoring us) said to Jim, 'You're pretty fun to be around.' To which Jim replied, 'You're alright.'
Source: Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess One Day interview | just sayin' - Yahoo! omg! UK

One Day Press ConferenceMovie & Film news pictures & video
IndieLondon: One Day - Jim Sturgess interview - Your London Reviews
One Day wonder | Declan Cashin

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-25-2011 at 02:28 AM
Reply   Post New Thread