Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Master Fan

Add me please. Read the book at the beginning of the holidays and fell in love with these two. They are just amazing
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I hope it does the book justice!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Elite Fan

I added you
I think you will love the movie too It's a great adaptation

Lone Scherfig interview: "One Day is Emma's book, Dexter's film" - Movies Interview - Digital Spy
Gio Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Elite Fan

emma's book and dexter's film? interesting.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The film, unlike the novel, focuses more on Dex than Emma, so whole chunks of her life and affairs are missing.

But the sentiment of the book remains and great performances draw you in, so I was much more emotionally involved by the second half of the movie.
Source: One Day (12A) **** - Sunday Mercury

“Jim’s got a really healthy attitude about everything. He’s really real and really honest. And so much fun. I’ve never known anyone who’s so pure of heart and so naughty at the same time.”
- Anne Hathaway

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-25-2011 at 11:02 PM
Old 08-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Elite Fan

finally saw the movie
i actually loved the tragic ending
i prefer them to traditional happy ones
Quote:
so I was much more emotionally involved by the second half of the movie.
that pretty much sums it up
my mom loved it as well
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Elite Fan

“It can take one day to meet your soul-mate…and a life time to realize it.”

Source: Dex and Em, Em and Dex
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

Even the men in the audience bounced up from their chairs, flailing their arms up when she got hit on her bike. They were not expecting that..thought it was a conventional girly movie.

Death forces you to appreciate life's moments more..day to day. Both characters had their flaws and procrastinated which stopped them from going further in life. That is very real and it's that way with 99% of people on earth. Car accidents, crashes are apart of real life as well- unexpected and tragic. "Happily ever After" would've been dreamy and cliche to end it on that note but it hit home and you felt more for the characters than ever before...after the death. Just like in life with friends/relatives who you take for granted.
Em183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

I agree with your comment.
It's a realistic movie with a realistic, and sad, ending. Sometimes it's hard to appreciate a movie without an happy ending because people want to see an happy couple together at the end but the fans of this book (men and women) loved it because it wasn't a boring love story but it was a great love story with a realistic ending.

Jim: "The worst bit [about on-screen kissing] is when you are rehearsing it and you never know whether to do the kiss or not. Whether to leave it out and wait 'til the camera rolls. That's always really awkward.

"But when the cameras are rolling you're normally into the scene and so it's no so bad. It's not the kiss that's awkward, it's when they shout 'cut' and you just have to stand there and you kind of giggle your way through it."

ღ ღ ღ

Anne: "Jim really felt like a brother, like a mate, so I wasn't really nervous at all. I never really thought about it. We're both in pretty long-term serious relationships so it was very clear where the lines were."

One Day - Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess interviews | Movies Blog - Yahoo! Movies
Jim Sturgess was nervous kissing Anne Hathaway in One Day! | the bike shed - Yahoo! omg! UK

Source: one day | Tumblr
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

Exactly, thank you so much for posting the lovely pics and interviews!! <3
Em183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Elite Fan

i hate how people tend to bash anne's accent in this film because it's so easy to bash anne nowadays, with people calling her "overrated" like it's the in thing to do. it wasn't even like this when she was doing becoming jane. and i don't see how it made the film worse. she captures emma's spirit so well and it's sad how they can't see that.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Elite Fan

The whole accent's thing is really boring. Anne played a great Emma and her accent isn't so bad like some people love to write. I found it good

Quote:
Whenever I see the name Anne Hathaway on a poster, I have a waking nightmare. It is not that she may one day play a role like that in One Day, a glamorous Hollywood actress essaying a geeky Yorkshire student. (She’s fine: we’ll come to that.) It is that the name means nothing to an entire dumbed-down generation, except as the moniker of a romcom diva. I see the day – doom of civilisation – when Hollywood will cub an actor called William Shakespeare and no one will know his predecessor. Will and Anne the originals will be consigned, eternally, to the second best bed in cultural history.

Instead of being indignant at that, my colleagues this week get indignant at her acting and my reading. “You can’t have read the book!” they expostulate when I say Hathaway Junior is quite good as Emma Morley, the girl who sounds like sliced Hovis and wears welfare specs but still looks like the catch of the day. No, I hadn’t read David Nicholls’s best-selling novel. But I have now: I speed-blitzed it. In the tale of friendship/romance told through the perspective of one day each year – July 15, starting 1988 – Emma isn’t, I read, just a dowdy north-country geek. She’s “pretty” (page 13) and “her face was a wonder (with) soft, raspberry-coloured lips” (page 14). So. The supposedly miscast Anne Hathaway: check, check and check. What British critics cannot stand is the mere idea of a big-name American actress playing a salt-of-the-earth Brit. (They’re fine with the reverse. Kate Winslet can play all the Americans she wants.)

The film is no deeper than the book, a pleasant, purling, shallow social chronicle. The birth of mobile phones; the dawn of New Labour; and Emma and the handsome Dexter Mayhew (Jim Sturgess) riding out the epochs. She is a sprightly young bluestocking, he is a silver-spooner trying to proletarianise himself with beer, women and a passing career gig, no more convincing on screen than on page, as a Youth TV presenter.

My colleagues take the novel’s Balzacian listing of period items and icons as the stuff of masterly writing. But Balzac attached tales and characters; Nicholls just gives laundry lists, with a few jokes and a love story. In what way is Hathaway unworthy of that? Both she and Sturgess, a puppyish charmer with a real light comedy flair, are better than their material. I just hope the second Anne Hathaway takes time, when winning her first Oscar (probably not for this), to acknowledge the first Anne Hathaway. That, not the iconographer’s clearance-sale patter of One Day, is how we should practise the valuing of our social and cultural heritage.
Source: One Day - Film releases: August 25 - FT.com

Personally I would be glad if Anne, Jim and Lone will take a nod for their work. I think they deserve it And also the movie deserves a nod

One Day: an interview with writer David Nicholls

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-27-2011 at 03:23 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 AM
Master Fan

I haven't seen the film so obviously I can't say for sure if they are right for the role, but as far as I've seen I'm perfectly happy with the casting and it doesn't bother me if they cast an american as a brit or a brit as an american - the important thing for me is if they can be true to the character. From what I've seen so far she has more than enough acting chops for the role.
As for the accent, well honestly it isn't really a perfect yorkshire accent or a british accent and you can definitely tell that she's american, but honestly I would notice that, because I'm from yorkshire. Still it really doesn't bother me and when it comes to americans doing british accents I've seen so much worse. I'm pretty ok with accents not being perfect - I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it. Anne's is perfectly fine (not quite the yorkshire accent or british accent, but perfectly fine enough not to make such a big deal out of it.)

As for the not so happy ending - I must admit when I was first reading I was like "Noo. Why is she dying I want a happily-ever-after ending", but I have to agree this was a more realistic and less cliched ending and made the book much better.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Elite Fan

I really appreciate your comment. Personally I think the whole discussion about Anne's accent seems too big for a movie. I think people should watch the movie without to think "Anne's accent is bad so the movie won't be good". Anne and Jim played their characters very well. You can see Em and Dex during the movie. This is the really important thing for me.

About the ending, like I wrote in old posts, I wanted to see them happy with a baby but, you know, Nicholls preferred a different and realistic ending for them.

Last edited by Gio Gio; 08-27-2011 at 09:50 AM
Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Elite Fan

Jim: ‘I was just so lucky [that] me and Anne got on so well. And I was blessed that we developed a friendship of our own as we went through the filming of One Day. We didn’t ever really talk about [the chemistry on screen].’

Anne: ‘I came in with a list of chemistry exercises, I didn’t realize you [Jim] were too cool for that.’

Reply   Post New Thread