Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OMB Mark, Randy has not had a bad review since the start ... and I am SO happy that he has made it his own .. he so deserves these accolades And I am beyond happy for him
Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebbers (View Post)
OMB Mark, Randy has not had a bad review since the start ... and I am SO happy that he has made it his own .. he so deserves these accolades And I am beyond happy for him
More:

'Cabaret': Theater Review - Hollywood Reporter

.... through no fault of her own, Goss is unable to hold center stage with Harrison’s flamboyant Emcee prancing and strutting like a deranged, oversexed escapee from Rocky Horror Picture Show. He unabashedly sets the tone with the opening number “Willkommen,” committing fully to a demanding role throughout, achieving mostly positive results as he tries to tread the line between impish and demonic.

Through Marshall’s choreography, the implicit sexuality behind the lyrics of “Two Ladies” is made explicit — a farcical menage a trois performed in silhouette by Harrison flanked by Dani Spieler as Lulu and Leeds Hill in drag as Bobby. The show’s most unsettling number, “If You Could See Her,” is a capricious love song sung by Harrison with a gorilla girlfriend. Innocent enough except it sits juxtaposed to Herr Schultz (Mark Nelson), lamenting his wedding to Fraulein Schneider being canceled because he's a Jew.

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome to the Pantages Theatre, 'Cabaret' - AXS

What the touring company may lack in name recognition for its stars, it certainly does not lack in talent. Randy Harrison, who appeared as Boq in "Wicked" on Broadway, takes on the role of Emcee. While he certainly is no Alan Cumming, who has years of experience with the role under his belt, Harrison gives a very strong performance. His fake German accent may be a little much and too thick at times, but he definitely brings an undeniable energy to the role. His comedic skills are especially on point, making the audience laugh out loud at numerous points throughout the show.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You have been an absolute star this year hun in keeping us updated with all these wonderful reviews, thank you so much Mark
Old 07-24-2016, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, Mark…thank you so much! We wouldn't know what to do without you. It's wonderful that we have you, Kathy, Chris, Raj and Danielle here too.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Mark and Chris are stalwarts in their love of Randy and they are so intertwined within the QaF fabric here .. we'd never be able to untangle them
Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Didn't see a link to this, so I thought I'd post it. Several pictures of the Cabaret Opening Night event in LA on July 20th. There are about 5 pix of Randy including the group QAF pix that we all
CABARET OPENING NIGHT - JULY 20, 2016 - LAArtsOnline.com

Aww Thanks Deborah, you are sweet
Old 07-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Raj .. hun, it doesn't matter whether something has already been posted .. that someone feels strongly enough to post a link that they come across is just wonderful for .. and even if I saw 5 people posting the same link, I would still love that fifth person for posting .. because they have the same passion for QaF as the first person who posted
Old 07-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by varo_kamry (View Post)
More:

'Cabaret': Theater Review - Hollywood Reporter

.... through no fault of her own, Goss is unable to hold center stage with Harrison’s flamboyant Emcee prancing and strutting like a deranged, oversexed escapee from Rocky Horror Picture Show. He unabashedly sets the tone with the opening number “Willkommen,” committing fully to a demanding role throughout, achieving mostly positive results as he tries to tread the line between impish and demonic.

Through Marshall’s choreography, the implicit sexuality behind the lyrics of “Two Ladies” is made explicit — a farcical menage a trois performed in silhouette by Harrison flanked by Dani Spieler as Lulu and Leeds Hill in drag as Bobby. The show’s most unsettling number, “If You Could See Her,” is a capricious love song sung by Harrison with a gorilla girlfriend. Innocent enough except it sits juxtaposed to Herr Schultz (Mark Nelson), lamenting his wedding to Fraulein Schneider being canceled because he's a Jew.

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome to the Pantages Theatre, 'Cabaret' - AXS

What the touring company may lack in name recognition for its stars, it certainly does not lack in talent. Randy Harrison, who appeared as Boq in "Wicked" on Broadway, takes on the role of Emcee. While he certainly is no Alan Cumming, who has years of experience with the role under his belt, Harrison gives a very strong performance. His fake German accent may be a little much and too thick at times, but he definitely brings an undeniable energy to the role. His comedic skills are especially on point, making the audience laugh out loud at numerous points throughout the show.

Thank you, Mark.

Randy is receiving some dazzling reviews.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 07-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Loyal Fan

Another new review with praise for Randy:

Uncomfortable Themes Make For Relevant Revival Are WE at the Cabaret?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Chris.

I saw that somewhere last night and I'm not sure how much I like that one. I'll have to read it again.

Quote:
Randy Harrison (gorgeous as an adult as he was a teen in “Queer As Folk”) is the emcee
But this line bothered me. Randy was 22 when he began his role of Justin in QAF.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Extreme Fan

Here's something kind of "OT" but also relevant.

If you have 90 minutes of so to spare, watch this BBC faithfully produced film version of Christopher Isherwood's autobiography "Christopher and his Kind"

It star's Matt Smith ("Dr. Who") as the young Isherwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6dXZULCEyQ

Here's an excerpt from a review:

After his famous "Berlin Stories" inspired both the drama "I Am A Camera" and the dramatic musical "Cabaret", author Christopher Isherwood still did not feel that his life had been accurately depicted on stage and screen. To this end, he published "Christopher And His Kind" in 1976. If the earlier play and musical had been, essentially, "fictionalized autobiography", then "Kind", directed by Geoffrey Sax and written for British TV by Kevin Elyot, wants to be Isherwood's "true story".

Aspiring writer Christopher Isherwood (Matt Smith) quickly goes to Berlin at the invitation of his friend W.H. Auden (Pip Carter). Christopher writes that he went to 1930's Berlin "for the boys." He probably went to escape his horribly judgmental and domineering mother (Lindsay Duncan). After a few moments with Duncan on screen, you might want to escape by any means necessary as well.

During his early months in Berlin, life may well have been a cabaret, filled with gay sex, for young Christopher. "Kind" is surprisingly frank and candid about his sex life, far more so than "Cabaret." "Cabaret" made Christopher bi-sexual;in love with chanteuse Sally Bowles, and that is probably what bothered him about it. "Kind" portrays him as totally homosexual. Christopher gets so much sex here, it seems that sex is his job and teaching English and writing is his hobby; instead of vice-versa.

But Berlin also contains terrors far more frightening than the domineering mother Christopher ran away from. At first, Christopher, who famously wrote, "I am a camera with its shutter open" views the Nazi uprising rather passively. But how can you remain a passive observer when the Nazis, who killed both Jewish people and homosexuals, come to power?

There is a frightening scene of the Nazis burning books in the public square. The horrified look on Smith's face tells you that something has instantly changed within Christopher.

One look at Imogen Poots, with her green eye make-up, ever-present cigarette and shaky singing voice, tells you that her character of Jean Ross is the real inspiration for Christopher's famous, fictionalized "Sally Bowles." Christopher and Jean are great friends, and he supports her through a difficult abortion.

But where Cabaret" takes the relationship between Christopher and "Sally Bowles" as one central plot point, the dramatic center of "Kind" is Christopher's deep love and devotion for Heinz (Douglas Booth). Their romance is risky and ill-fated. "

The performances, especially Smith, Booth, and Poots, are excellent. Toby Jones ("Infamous", "Captain America") also shines in a supporting role as Gerald, an aging drag queen who befriends Christopher and mysteriously "disappears" shortly afterwards. I found "Kind" to be emotionally haunting and extremely worthwhile.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Chris .. thanks for posting that really thoughtful article .. and to the reviewer for name checking Noam Chomsky

Mark .. I absolutely love Christopher and His Kind .. I've mentioned it before but the general consensus at the time (not you ) was "Who's Christopher Isherwood"?

I saw the drama when the BBC first aired it .. and TBH everything about it has stayed with me Thank you for bringing it up now

I think Imogen Poots was the star of the drama as Jean Ross ..

Edit: OMB Mark I didn't realise that the link you posted was the whole drama! Just wow hun .. I am going to watch it now Thank you SO much for finding that gorgeous man

Last edited by Zebbers; 07-25-2016 at 12:12 PM
Old 07-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Loyal Fan

You're welcome. Always happy to share anything Randy related.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the link, Mark. I'm definitely gonna check it out. Although I'd heard of Christopher Isherwood and some of his works, I had no idea that he had written A Single Man! It's one of my favorite movies!!

Deborah, I liked the review from The Huffington Post, I think the reviewer meant to say he portrayed a teen in QAF. But I liked it because it did a great job of correlating the events in the musical to our political situation today. Considering how popular HuffPo is, the message will reach a much wider audience and perhaps have the desired effect.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

What do you mean by this, Danielle?

Quote:
The one on July 20th with all the wannabes and actors was awful!
The Pantages theatre looks GORGEOUS! I would love to see a show there. Is it as beautiful as it looks in pictures?

As far as "giving away the ending"…at the show I went to in Cincinnati (with Kim), we were in the 2nd row. The people in the first row, let out a roaring laugh at the ending because they didn't realize what it meant. I personally would rather people understand, than misunderstand and make a mockery of the ending. I know they didn't mean to, but it just showed how uninformed people are today about our history, which means that they're most likely in a bubble about our present as well.

Anyway…these are just my thoughts on the subject.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread