Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

The first TV interview of NC.

Cabaret arrives at Durham Performing Arts Center | abc11.com
Old 04-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

Can anyone read his button? Perhaps he is showing support?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

No chance to read the button, but I think it is the shortest tv interview we saw till now

icon by Daggi
Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yaaay finally Mr Isherwood gets mentioned . thank you Randy
Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Randy must have seen the interview and noticed that you can't read the sticker

He posted that on his instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZ9XeALtuz/

I have no clue how to embed a instagram thingie...

and may I ask a dumb question? Who is Mr Isherwood? I'm just too bad with names

icon by Daggi
Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
Randy must have seen the interview and noticed that you can't read the sticker

He posted that on his instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZ9XeALtuz/

I have no clue how to embed a instagram thingie...

and may I ask a dumb question? Who is Mr Isherwood? I'm just too bad with names
OMB, you don't know who Christopher Isherwood is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Isherwood
Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebbers (View Post)
OMB, you don't know who Christopher Isherwood is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Isherwood
Honesly, I've never heard of him before, but I'm not the great literature knower... but I know friends of him, like Aldous Huxley

but you again had the perfect link to him thanks

icon by Daggi
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Honesly, I've never heard of him before, but I'm not the great literature knower... but I know friends of him, like Aldous Huxley

That is so sad! Without him, absolutely no~one here would be seeing Randy in Cabaret!

You should read some of his work .. it's delicious.

Oh, and the inspiration for his Sally Bowles ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Ross

Last edited by Zebbers; 04-19-2016 at 11:45 PM
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Extreme Fan

YAY Randy

"Opening night in Durham, NC. The #cabarettour is filled with so many smart, empathetic, politically engaged artists and technicians. I'm so honored to share the stage and road with these folks and doubly fortunate to bring such relevant material to the country. My mama was from Raleigh, my dad and bro went to State, so NC is in my blood. Tonight I improvised a line in the entreacte about being barred admission to the restroom and the show was stopped by a barrage of support from our audience. I was deeply heartened. I am filled with rage about HB2, and compassion for LGBTQ"

Randy's mother went to high school in Raleigh with Armistead Maupin the author of the wonderful Tales of City novels which chart the lives and interactions a group of gay and straight friends in San Francisco in the 1970s. Randy has mentioned that his mother had autographed copies of the book and he read them as a young teen.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for sharing, Mark. It's amazing that Randy got to improvise and reference the very current HB2 and that the audience was so supportive of the statement. Here's the IG:

Quote:

No worries…I haven't read him either, and only familiar with a few of his works.

Thanks for the Wiki link, Debs. I recall you posting it before so thank you for posting it again to refresh my memory.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
Thanks for sharing, Mark. It's amazing that Randy got to improvise and reference the very current HB2 and that the audience was so supportive of the statement..
Here is what he actually said (From co-star Mark Nelson's Instagram last night )

Mark Nelson at DPAC.
Durham, NC ·
"Cabaret" opened tonight in Durham, North Carolina, where people seem as stunned by the rise of legalized bigotry in their state as do the Berliners of 1930 in the play. Our fearless leader Randolph Harrison as the Emcee brought down the house with an ad lib to the audience at the top of Act 2: "Did everyone have a tinkle at intermission? You're lucky. I tried to go to the men's room but they wouldn't let me in there!" Several hundred people stood up and cheered him.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow. I read some comments from people thinking it was just comedic, but we know there's nothing funny about it.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
Wow. I read some comments from people thinking it was just comedic, but we know there's nothing funny about it.
Did you see the two comments at Randy's Instagram by someone named Vincent_art who asked Randy if he was was turning tran and "Why do you care about them"
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by varo_kamry (View Post)
Did you see the two comments at Randy's Instagram by someone named Vincent_art who asked Randy if he was was turning tran and "Why do you care about them"
I did. People are so ignorant.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Extreme Fan

Two more comments, from cast & crew

Aisling Halpin (Frenchie - Kit Kat girl) wrote on her Instagram: "Last night, Randy did an amazing ad lib at the top of act 2. "I tried to go tinkle, but they wouldn't let me". The audience reaction was huge applause and some people even gave him a standing Ovation! The HB2 law saddens me so much! I am so happy we get to perform Cabaret here in North Carolina! My heart goes out to the LGBTQ community here in NC! "If you're not against it you're for it, or you might as well be!" #HB2 #illgowithyou"

Kevin McCoy (head audio) wrote on his Facebook:"We've come to play our show in North Carolina. Plenty of other shows have cancelled their stops here recently, (including Pearl Jam, which our local crew -- some of whom might have worked that show -- found out about during the load-in) and plenty of other shows haven't. Our producers have chosen not to cancel, and so we're here doing our jobs. There are very good arguments in favor of and against canceling. I get it. But any unease I had about working here was put to rest when our amazing lead, Randy Harrison, playing the Emcee, came out during the entr'acte for his usual audience interaction and ad lib dialog. He often asks the audience if they had a drink and a tinkle. Tonight, though, he followed that up with "I tried, but they wouldn't let me in." The house came down. People stood up and cheered. I'm surprised we didn't have to stop the show. It gave me much hope. I was proud to be at the sound board for it."

And review that mentions Randy's ad lib::

https://triangleexplorer.com/2016/04...gh-april-24th/

The revival has a dazzling display of talent. The cast is anchored by Randy Harrison, best known for his portrayal of Justin in the Showtime drama “Queer as Folk,” playing the role of the Emcee. He serves as a provocative and sarcastic guide through the world of sin, pleasure, and heartbreak. Harrison is a powerful presence on stage portraying the sexually charged escapist entertainment of the Kit Kat Klub. Introduced during the first act he implores the audience to leave their troubles outside, and declares that “everything in here is beautiful”. During a particularly entertaining segue into the second act Harrison interacted with audience and almost brought the house down with a smart joke about being denied use of the bathroom during intermission (a nod the North Carolina’s controversial HB2). Again this unscripted moment served as reminder that oppression is still very real today.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread