Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Master Fan

I watched that movie for the second time last night. I really enjoy it!! I think this one and Rhinocerous Eyes might be my favorite Gale movies.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
Old 09-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't remember the last time I saw Gale in anything, any recent work you can recommend?

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Not much, but he's starring in this new short feature, titled The Betrothed. He's participating in an event this month at the Birds Eye in London, that will see him on stage acting out the contents of a script from a project he wrote. Look forward to hearing any reports or footage about that... if there's any.

Hopefully he's putting that talent and energy of his into something he loves doing.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 09-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Master Fan

Just have to vent a little bit. From being in a couple of different FB groups, I have to say that quite a bit of Gale's "fanbase" really disappoint me. I believe he was most likely a private person already, but I can certainly see why he felt the need to close down and become even more private over the years. I don't know how but I somehow ended up down the rabbit hole of this terrible website
Spoiler:

and it was just incredible how disrespectful people there were. So many rumors, and not just that but the fanbase straight up bashing itself? I've never seen anything like it. This kind of behavior from a group of people who claim to love and support someone but can't stop talking about him? I just felt disgusted reading it, but it was like a train-wreck and I couldn't look away. Sometimes I feel a little disgusted even being in the FB groups and seeing some of the discussions.

Anyone else feel similar?

Old 09-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! (View Post)
Just have to vent a little bit. From being in a couple of different FB groups, I have to say that quite a bit of Gale's "fanbase" really disappoint me. I believe he was most likely a private person already, but I can certainly see why he felt the need to close down and become even more private over the years. I don't know how but I somehow ended up down the rabbit hole of this terrible website
Spoiler:

and it was just incredible how disrespectful people there were. So many rumors, and not just that but the fanbase straight up bashing itself? I've never seen anything like it. This kind of behavior from a group of people who claim to love and support someone but can't stop talking about him? I just felt disgusted reading it, but it was like a train-wreck and I couldn't look away. Sometimes I feel a little disgusted even being in the FB groups and seeing some of the discussions.

Unfortunately, I see that all the time in my fandom. And it's sad and disheartening and disgusting. I hate that this happens and that people suck.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggerrose (View Post)
Unfortunately, I see that all the time in my fandom. And it's sad and disheartening and disgusting. I hate that this happens and that people suck.
That's very sad. I guess I see it to an extent in the fanbase with my favorite band - the stupid competition with who's been to the most concerts and all that BS. But this was different to me cause soooo many people were straight up bashing Gale...and it's like...ummm, then WHY are you on a fansite?

There were a couple of sane people pointing out how obviously he's got all these people's attention, no matter what they're saying about him, so that's proof of something.

It was super obvious the just BLATANT jealousy some people had towards him attracting so many women (and men), though...

Have you ever gotten into debates with anyone in your specific fandom about this stuff? I felt like they were attacking one of my friends.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
That's very sad. I guess I see it to an extent in the fanbase with my favorite band - the stupid competition with who's been to the most concerts and all that BS. But this was different to me cause soooo many people were straight up bashing Gale...and it's like...ummm, then WHY are you on a fansite?

There were a couple of sane people pointing out how obviously he's got all these people's attention, no matter what they're saying about him, so that's proof of something.

It was super obvious the just BLATANT jealousy some people had towards him attracting so many women (and men), though...

Have you ever gotten into debates with anyone in your specific fandom about this stuff? I felt like they were attacking one of my friends.
Yup Honestly, if you take all of that and multiply it by a million, you have my fandom. People bashing the members, people bashing each other, etc. It's crazy.

And exactly, people are jealous at the end of the day. Which again, is stupid.

lol debates/fights are regular for my fandom. The easiest way I can explain it is that there are groups of sorts--so it can become divided. Someone's always fighting. Yeah I know how it feels and it's not nice
Old 09-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Spoiler:

yes here..

people are just so so stupid and ignorsnt and selfish.. it just makes me sad

I can totally understand him

icon by Daggi
Old 09-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yup Honestly, if you take all of that and multiply it by a million, you have my fandom. People bashing the members, people bashing each other, etc. It's crazy.

And exactly, people are jealous at the end of the day. Which again, is stupid.

lol debates/fights are regular for my fandom. The easiest way I can explain it is that there are groups of sorts--so it can become divided. Someone's always fighting. Yeah I know how it feels and it's not nice
UGH it's like highschool! The only thing new to me is the straight up bashing of the very thing you're supposed to be a fan OF. WTF? In my own fan community I've witnessed like gossip and that kind of thing, but not the kind of cutting insults like this...

That is so crazy to me! I never would've expected that for any band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
yes here..

people are just so so stupid and ignorsnt and selfish.. it just makes me sad

I can totally understand him
The poor guy. As a private, introverted person myself, I can't even imagine...and his fanbase are OBSESSED with him... (I can't hide, either , but I don't bother him personally with it and would never dream of annoying him or stalking him...). Everytime someone says they can't understand why he's not more famous or in more stuff, I'm like uhh I can TOTALLY understand. He's been scared away from it.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Some of these "fans" trolls are really insufferable. I've seen my fair share of good, bad, and WTF over the passed 7 years of being in this fandom. Datalounge is/was especially a big cesspool of miserable, mean-spirited people. I used to lurk there (NEVER JOINED) sometimes to see what negativity they were up to. Always criticizing every little step Gale made, calling him a has-been, trying to drudge up any sort of dirt they could find about his sexuality... about anything. Just awful. The sad thing is that Gale might have seen some of those vicious posts, because the pages to that site are indexed into the search engine, which means they surface when you search for Gale's name on Google or wherever else. I still see some of them. The good news is that they stopped talking s t about him, and now there are mostly trolls popping up trying negate discussion about him.

Just last year, a bunch of trolls infiltrated his Facebook account... which is why his account there no longer exists. Guess he said, "I'm not doing this" and who could really blame him. Gale's probably got social anxiety toward strangers... so none of that helped.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
Some of these "fans" trolls are really insufferable. I've seen my fair share of good, bad, and WTF over the passed 7 years of being in this fandom. Datalounge is/was especially a big cesspool of miserable, mean-spirited people. I used to lurk there (NEVER JOINED) sometimes to see what negativity they were up to. Always criticizing every little step Gale made, calling him a has-been, trying to drudge up any sort of dirt they could find about his sexuality... about anything. Just awful. The sad thing is that Gale might have seen some of those vicious posts, because the pages to that site are indexed into the search engine, which means they surface when you search for Gale's name on Google or wherever else. I still see some of them. The good news is that they stopped talking s t about him, and now there are mostly trolls popping up trying negate discussion about him.

Just last year, a bunch of trolls infiltrated his Facebook account... which is why his account there no longer exists. Guess he said, "I'm not doing this" and who could really blame him. Gale's probably got social anxiety toward strangers... so none of that helped.
"Trolls" is a more appropriate term for them. That's a good summary of DL, too, cesspool of miserable people. It's gross how the negativity can suck you in, almost like an, "They can't really be talking about this, can they?" and sure enough, it goes on forever, and gets worse. I saw everything that you mentioned there - criticizing his sexuality (which, BTW, who really cares if Gale is "actually straight"?) and calling him a "D-list" actor and accusing him of not finding work or blowing off events because he "hates his fanbase" (well if they were all really like the people on DL, I certainly couldn't blame him if that were true).

I ended up there from a Google search, so I can see how Gale could've possibly seen that stuff. I'm hoping he (as well as pretty much all famous people) don't spend much of their time...if any...looking at what people online are saying about them. The Internet can be a real bottomless pit of just negativity and stupidity. And it certainly attacks those with talent, and beauty.

That's so sad that they did that to his FB! The poor man. I read (on DL, so not sure if it's accurate) that something similar happened with his Twitter? And that he kept coming back and then leaving again? Maybe like testing the waters and then being like, "Yup, still crazies..." Goodness. And yeah, I can totally see the anxiety.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's the ugly part of any fandom. So many fans just don't have any boundaries and harass, stalk, attack their idols.

Quote:
Outrage over nothing.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Here's some new information about the project that will be screened at the Bird's Eye in London. It's called The Rider . The plot is inspired by Gale's real-life injury he got back in 2008, and the struggles of that and the triumph of having came out all right.

Quote:
Mia Bays
16 mins ·

London folk: The Rider is a powerful and deeply moving film and we Birds Eye Viewers are previewing it next Thursday 13th Sept 7pm Picturehouse Central bit.ly/TheRiderRTF1

I’ll be speaking to Bonnie-Kate Dewar Clinical Neuro-psychologist, Anna Smith film critic and writer, chair of the UK Critics Circle, equine learning facilitator Alex Gulland and my friend the American actor Gale Harold who survived traumatic brain injury (a key theme of the film).

Then we are cowboying up after, making block printed bandanas.

The next event is at Genesis Cinema on Sept 18 6pm with Simran Hans, neurologist Bonnie-Kate Dewar, the manager of the Ebony Horse Club Brixton and Gale Harold as before, again with bandana printing workshop after. Genesis Cinema

6pm sept 18

#ReclaimTheFrame with us, expand audiences for films by women, and change the way we see the world.
Hope everyone can see this clip.

https://www.facebook.com/mia.bays/vi...07636338/?t=13

Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Master Fan

I never realized he'd gotten a traumatic brain injury, cause every interview I saw he was really quiet about what happened to him...

Old 09-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I'm so glad he's opening up more about this experience, though, he doesn't have to.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread