Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2023, 04:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks for understanding, Liv.

Thank you for mentioning those remake examples, which are all perfect examples of Hollywood trying to fix what isn't broken.

See, a good example of a movie that deviated from the source material and improved on it was Jaws. Jaws cut out a lot of Peter Benchley's subplots, like the mayor of Amity not wanting to close the beaches because his administration owed money to the Mafia, and they needed to make a profit to pay back the mobsters, as well as marine biologist Matt Hooper having an affair with Chief Brody's wife. Most of that stuff was unnecessary and bogged down the story, and it was rightfully cut out of the film. Also, Quint in the book didn't have a motivation for why he hated sharks and was a shark hunter, so the movie gave him the backstory involving the USS Indianapolis, which gave him motivation. That's how you make changes for the right reasons.

Too often Hollywood makes changes to things for ideological reasons, which sucks.

Captain Marvel cutting out Mar-Vell and his relationship with Carol Danvers, and replacing Mar-Vell with a female character? What was that for?

Cutting out Adam Warlock from his signature storyline involving his battle with Thanos for the Infinity Gauntlet?

Cutting out Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne from the Avengers when they're founding members, while Scott Lang is not an Avenger and Hope Van Dyne doesn't exist in the comics, and making Tony Stark Ultron's creator instead of Hank?

See, all of those were changes that did not need to be made, and were made mostly for reasons involving ideology and studio politics, not narrative necessity.

Well, they were stupid, and their rules were self-defeating. They didn't even make any Flash or Wonder Woman movies during Smallville's run, so why wouldn't they let Smallville use Barry or Diana? And I get that Christopher Nolan was making those two Batman films while Smallville was on, but Smallville's Bruce Wayne would've been a teenager and wouldn't become Batman until the end of Smallville and his own show, just like Gotham. WB execs were shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. Think of all the advertising dollars they could've gotten with a Smallville/Gotham shared TV universe.

But the Clark/Lois thing on Smallville really didn't make sense. Erica was in a limited amount of episodes, and wasn't even allowed to portray Lois as being attracted to Clark because of the Superman Returns movie? Why even have her on the show in that case?

Oh, and Tom kept the "no tights, no flights" rule after season 7? Okay, now I'm angry with him.
You're welcome.

Yep, Hollywood has a huge remake/no creativity problem, especially Disney and I've become sick of it. My love for Disney spiralled considerably and is one of the reasons I left the Disney board as a mod because I didn't have much positive things to say about their films today. Your point about it all being about ideology and politics now is spot on. Films can't just be entertaining anymore and it's ridiculous.

I kinda liked how they slowly introduced Lois. She was a breath of fresh air that was needed in S4 and I actually loved the love-hate friendship she had with Clark, it was a lot of fun. But there were moments even early on that hinted at them becoming closer. The one thing that didn't make sense was how they changed her from never wanting anything to do with journalism (because there was Chloe for the reporter things) and then doing a 180 and suddenly finding it's her calling after all.

Hey don't be too hard on Tom. He is the love of my life after all. All jokes aside, I actually have massive respect for him for sticking with that mantra. He always said that Smallville was about the journey, not the destination and I agree with him. Once that destination was reached, put on the suit and flies, that was the end of the show. He actually initially turned down the role twice because he thought it was just about a kid in tights flying around (kinda like that Superboy show, 'cause they weren't giving him much info about the plot but luckily they eventually showed him that it was much more grounded than that.

His wardrobe actually got more grown up from S8, thanks to Lois. He couldn't help getting that shirt dirty though, saving people and all.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
It was the scene that should've started the clock ticking on the end of Clark/Lana.
It felt more like the clock of Clark & Chloe.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by livstevi21 (View Post)

I kinda liked how they slowly introduced Lois. She was a breath of fresh air that was needed in S4 and I actually loved the love-hate friendship she had with Clark, it was a lot of fun. But there were moments even early on that hinted at them becoming closer. The one thing that didn't make sense was how they changed her from never wanting anything to do with journalism (because there was Chloe for the reporter things) and then doing a 180 and suddenly finding it's her calling after all.

Hey don't be too hard on Tom. He is the love of my life after all. All jokes aside, I actually have massive respect for him for sticking with that mantra. He always said that Smallville was about the journey, not the destination and I agree with him. Once that destination was reached, put on the suit and flies, that was the end of the show. He actually initially turned down the role twice because he thought it was just about a kid in tights flying around (kinda like that Superboy show, 'cause they weren't giving him much info about the plot but luckily they eventually showed him that it was much more grounded than that.

His wardrobe actually got more grown up from S8, thanks to Lois. He couldn't help getting that shirt dirty though, saving people and all.
Another thing to blame on the restrictions because I don't think they could've had Lois interested in journalism. lol
However, I do like how they explained it. She didn't know how much she enjoyed it until she actually did it. She just said how much she disliked it and once she did her first story at the Torch, she enjoyed it and Chloe saw straight through her and told her that it was getting to her.

It's sort of the same with season 7, she never sought out getting a job, Grant just thought her story was insane and interested and hired her. lol For Lois I think that once she was in it, she truly realized how much she loved it.

Well, I agree a bit with Alex there, the no-fly rule was decent up until like season 5. It became to the point where everyone knew how to fly except for him and it actually took out the fun of when he would fly. For me give me his flying from Crusade over the anticipation of later in the series.

Yep, she truly helped improve his wardrobe. lol Thankfully.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Another thing to blame on the restrictions because I don't think they could've had Lois interested in journalism. lol
However, I do like how they explained it. She didn't know how much she enjoyed it until she actually did it. She just said how much she disliked it and once she did her first story at the Torch, she enjoyed it and Chloe saw straight through her and told her that it was getting to her.

It's sort of the same with season 7, she never sought out getting a job, Grant just thought her story was insane and interested and hired her. lol For Lois I think that once she was in it, she truly realized how much she loved it.
I suppose that's true.

Quote:
Well, I agree a bit with Alex there, the no-fly rule was decent up until like season 5. It became to the point where everyone knew how to fly except for him and it actually took out the fun of when he would fly. For me give me his flying from Crusade over the anticipation of later in the series.

Yep, she truly helped improve his wardrobe. lol Thankfully.
I mean, yeah, the fact that Kara was able to fly long before Clark was a bit demoralising. And it was a bit irksome how she showed herself as a superhero before Clark did in the Supergirl episode. But the way I see it, Clark was not ready to fly even after S5 because his journey was not done. He was not moved on enough and let go of human like mentalities to be able to fly. He had to be finally free of everything that had grounded him growing up with humans on earth. It was mentality thing. He was able to fly as Kal in Crusade because Kal was not grounded and had no memories of his human/earth upbringing, he was in a fully Kryptonian mindset. Not that I'm saying he needed to be in that mindset again to remember how to fly, and it wasn't Kara giving him that push, teaching him how to fly, it was all on him. As he was shown all his past memories that shaped him into the man he became, he was able to channel that into finally becoming Superman and flying. That's how I like to see it.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, Tia, I think that another reason they didn't have Lois interested in journalism at the beginning was because Chloe told her editor at The Daily Planet that she had a cousin who wasn't interested in journalism and she wanted to use her cousins' name as a pseudonym. This was back in the days when fans suspected that Chloe would end up being Lois Lane.

I do agree that journalism grew on Lois after a while, and Chloe had a lot to do with that. I've actually made that same argument about Clark, that Chloe might've been responsible for Clark getting into journalism.

Wow, I'm glad Tia agrees with me. But yes, that's the point I'm making. No tights, no flights makes perfect sense in the first four or five seasons, but by the time the show has left Smallville behind and is focused more on Metropolis and The Daily Planet in the later seasons, Clark is fighting with one hand tied behind his back because so many other characters are flying by that point.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Reliving Clark and Lois season 8 is special.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Not only is it special, it makes one really angry that so much time was wasted on Clark/Lana during seasons 6 and 7.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Reliving Clark and Lois season 8 is special.
Tom & Erica slayed it!
Old 04-30-2023, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 05-01-2023, 02:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 05-01-2023, 10:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I am falling in love with them all over again.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 05-02-2023, 05:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for those gifs, Tia! That was very flirty of Lois.

Oh, I'd love for Tom and Erica to work together again on something.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Committed was the perfect Clois episode!
Old 05-04-2023, 09:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'd have liked it even more if it were an all-Clois episode.