Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2023, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCB (View Post)
I agree with you, s8 was a great start but it wasn't the right time for them, he needed that closure with Lana
Yes, but that closure with Lana should not have been in season 8. That relationship should've been over by season 5.

Okay, Tia. I hope this storyline gets resolved in a way that isn't annoying.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I will say this Alex, if you can take your mind out of "this should've happened at this time" then you will enjoy things better. If that keeps cloding over your head then you will not ever really be happy at all but in saying that the way we found out how strong Clark feelings for Lois is/when is so special...

So let me give you a process as to how your feelings will be this season
- HAPPY! Finally!
- YESS!
- WTF??? WRITERS ... WB, DC FU!
- Why did the writers do this?
- Why didn't we stick with this he's so much better here
- Okay we finally getting it right.

^ I expect your reaction to be like that or even worst but eventually it all will be healed. lol So I am preparing you.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Tia has a valid point, always thinking about what could have or what should have been takes the enjoyment of any show in front of you. No show is 100% perfect, even the best ones have their flaws, but they have their good points too. We all have our complaints about some of the story/character direction Smallville went in, but it's unhealthy to keep criticising it if it's a show you really want to enjoy. If you can't fully enjoy it flaws and all then it's maybe not worth watching?
Old 04-17-2023, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by livstevi21 (View Post)
Tia has a valid point, always thinking about what could have or what should have been takes the enjoyment of any show in front of you. No show is 100% perfect, even the best ones have their flaws, but they have their good points too. We all have our complaints about some of the story/character direction Smallville went in, but it's unhealthy to keep criticising it if it's a show you really want to enjoy. If you can't fully enjoy it flaws and all then it's maybe not worth watching?
It's okay, Liv. I'm definitely enjoying Smallville. But my compulsive perfectionism is just something you'll have to get used to. I have this thing where I can just... see things. I see where pieces fit together and where gaps need to be filled. Yes, I know that not every show is gonna be perfect, I'm just a bit annoyed as a comic book fan that so many things that were totally avoidable kept Smallville from being even better, so I'm sorry if I'm sometimes annoying in that respect.

But now that we're into season 8 a lot of those things are gonna fall by the wayside once the Clark/Lois stuff starts becoming the focus.

I'm still pissed Bruce Wayne isn't there, but, oh well....
Old 04-18-2023, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCB (View Post)
I agree with you, s8 was a great start but it wasn't the right time for them, he needed that closure with Lana
Agree!
Old 04-18-2023, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I freaking love this scene.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
It's okay, Liv. I'm definitely enjoying Smallville. But my compulsive perfectionism is just something you'll have to get used to. I have this thing where I can just... see things. I see where pieces fit together and where gaps need to be filled. Yes, I know that not every show is gonna be perfect, I'm just a bit annoyed as a comic book fan that so many things that were totally avoidable kept Smallville from being even better, so I'm sorry if I'm sometimes annoying in that respect.

But now that we're into season 8 a lot of those things are gonna fall by the wayside once the Clark/Lois stuff starts becoming the focus.

I'm still pissed Bruce Wayne isn't there, but, oh well....
Ah, I see. It's okay. I totally get it, but I'm so glad I'm not much of a perfectionist, I could never be happy otherwise. Though I'll admit I can be a tad on the verge of a perfectionist on some things, but that's pretty rare. And, as a non comic book fan, I never have that perspective that you do. I'm glad you're still enjoying it.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Well Liv I am a comic book fan and I think the notion that the stories should follow the comics is ridiculous since (with Superman) there are over 1000 issues with most of the issues being very different. If we want the comics then the 50s Adventures of Superman is right out of the comic book but Clark and Lois don't really get together as in the comics till decades later. Lois and Clark interacted right from the first comic book but the falling in love wasn't there until much later on.

So not all comic fans think that way because I sure do not and I am sure I read more Superman comics than anyone combined on this board and I am happy that these tv shows are doing their own take AS many of the comic books did. Also, there is a trick to "following the comics" because a person is going to pick their specific issue and you can't do that... if the writers follow the WORST comic book issue then should the fans be okay because the comic book was followed?

All of the comic books do not have the same stories and I for one am happy to not have to see the stupid Lana and Lois rivalry that was pathetic.

Also, another thing that made Superman and Lois so popular is the aspects of Lois loving Superman but being BFF with Clark and I feel the Lois & Clark show changed that story a bit. Lois finally realized she loved Clark more than Superman before she found out about his powers and then I feel a lot of the movies and shows followed that pattern.

The triangle between Superman/Lois/Clark is my favorite triangle for many reasons. But I understand things change a bit but I do feel the triangle still gets played on... obviously I wouldn't spoil it for Alex, but even Smallville will play with that triangle in a very unique and unexpected way because clearly, they couldn't do the Superman/Clark thing with Lois sine Lois knows Clark with or without glasses right now. lol

When it comes to Superman the main things that I need to stay the same:

- Clark Kent is from Krypton and he gets adopted by the Kents
- He has the dual identity where he is Superman and then he works at Daily Planet
- He becomes freaking Superman!
- He always meets and be with his true love Lois Lane
- His mortal enemy Lex is always a huge part of the story in any form.
- The core three characters of the Superman mythologies will forever be: Clark, Lois and Lex. The most popular character outside of that trio is 1000% Jimmy Olsen and I liked some of the issues from Superman's Best Pal. So I am always let down if I do not see a Jimmy Olsen since it doesn't really make sense.

^ Those are the main things that need to stay the same and anything extra is a bonus but doesn't make or break.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Ah, I see. It's okay. I totally get it, but I'm so glad I'm not much of a perfectionist, I could never be happy otherwise. Though I'll admit I can be a tad on the verge of a perfectionist on some things, but that's pretty rare. And, as a non comic book fan, I never have that perspective that you do. I'm glad you're still enjoying it.
Thanks for understanding, Liv. Being a comic book fan can be both a blessing and a curse. For example, I was excited for the MCU, and now I cannot stand it.

See, I get what Tia is saying, but my issue is that whenever a show or a movie deviates from the comics, it should always be done for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. If the purpose is to improve on something the comics may have messed up on(which does sometimes happen), or for the purpose of doing an "what if?' or "elseworld" scenario, I'm okay with that as well. But if a movie or a TV show is advertising itself as a straight adaptation of the classic mythology, then it should at least try to stay true to that, such as what Tia listed in her requirements for Superman.

See, my issue is that Smallville in many instances was prevented from doing certain things by the studio and the network, and that's what really burns me. I know that the show and the Smallville/Gotham universe I've imagined in my head could have existed if the show's creators had gotten their way. I know that Millar and Gough wanted Bruce Wayne, but WB said no. I know that Millar and Gough wanted to revive the original Bruce Wayne show similar to Gotham that WB originally wanted to do before Smallville, and have it run as a companion to Smallville with the two shows crossing over with each other like Arrow and The Flash did, but WB said no. I know that they wanted Lois Lane in more episodes, but WB said no. I know that they wanted to use Barry Allen and Diana Prince, but WB said no. And I know that they now admit that the Clark/Lana storyline should not have lasted more than three seasons and that it was a mistake to drag it out for as long as they did because it became "repetitive" and she didn't have much of a storyline beyond high school, but... well, who the hell knows why that happened? Although I have my suspicions.

As for the "no flights, no tights" rule.... ugh, couldn't we at least have had three or four episodes at the end with Clark trying on the outfit to see how it worked out? The new writing staff that came on in season 8 was under no obligation to follow that rule.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 04-20-2023 at 01:44 AM
Old 04-20-2023, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
^ Well Liv I am a comic book fan and I think the notion that the stories should follow the comics is ridiculous since (with Superman) there are over 1000 issues with most of the issues being very different. If we want the comics then the 50s Adventures of Superman is right out of the comic book but Clark and Lois don't really get together as in the comics till decades later. Lois and Clark interacted right from the first comic book but the falling in love wasn't there until much later on.

So not all comic fans think that way because I sure do not and I am sure I read more Superman comics than anyone combined on this board and I am happy that these tv shows are doing their own take AS many of the comic books did. Also, there is a trick to "following the comics" because a person is going to pick their specific issue and you can't do that... if the writers follow the WORST comic book issue then should the fans be okay because the comic book was followed?

All of the comic books do not have the same stories and I for one am happy to not have to see the stupid Lana and Lois rivalry that was pathetic.

Also, another thing that made Superman and Lois so popular is the aspects of Lois loving Superman but being BFF with Clark and I feel the Lois & Clark show changed that story a bit. Lois finally realized she loved Clark more than Superman before she found out about his powers and then I feel a lot of the movies and shows followed that pattern.

The triangle between Superman/Lois/Clark is my favorite triangle for many reasons. But I understand things change a bit but I do feel the triangle still gets played on... obviously I wouldn't spoil it for Alex, but even Smallville will play with that triangle in a very unique and unexpected way because clearly, they couldn't do the Superman/Clark thing with Lois sine Lois knows Clark with or without glasses right now. lol

When it comes to Superman the main things that I need to stay the same:

- Clark Kent is from Krypton and he gets adopted by the Kents
- He has the dual identity where he is Superman and then he works at Daily Planet
- He becomes freaking Superman!
- He always meets and be with his true love Lois Lane
- His mortal enemy Lex is always a huge part of the story in any form.
- The core three characters of the Superman mythologies will forever be: Clark, Lois and Lex. The most popular character outside of that trio is 1000% Jimmy Olsen and I liked some of the issues from Superman's Best Pal. So I am always let down if I do not see a Jimmy Olsen since it doesn't really make sense.

^ Those are the main things that need to stay the same and anything extra is a bonus but doesn't make or break.

That's a healthy way of looking at it, for sure.

Oh I totally get that, Alex. It does have to be for the right reasons when they deviate. It's kinda like with Disney's live action remakes, but 98% of them are made for the wrong reasons. Take the Mulan live action remake - completely different from the original animated film from 1998, many of the characters from the original was scrapped and the songs were gone. The story was turned upside down. It tried to be different, but failed, miserably. Then take the 2019 remake of The Lion King, every single frame is shot by shot exactly the same movie as the classic 1994 film, yet recreated in CGI. The problem with that is that the characters, when made to look like real-life animals lost all expression and emotion. This maybe a completely different issue, but what I'm driving at is that when adapting from comic books, it's hard to find the right balance between staying faithful and also going in a new direction for the right reasons, not to mention having everything to keep the fans happy. And because the comic books go way back and the stories and characters in them changed and adapted throughout the years, like Tia pointed out, it depends on what era you want the DV movie and TV universe to stay faithful to.

Let's face it, it's all the WB's fault. They were so very strict, and so in turn the writers were somewhat limited in what they could do. And Tom made sure No Flights No Tights stuck until the very end, even beyond S8 with the new show runners and writers.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for understanding, Liv.

Thank you for mentioning those remake examples, which are all perfect examples of Hollywood trying to fix what isn't broken.

See, a good example of a movie that deviated from the source material and improved on it was Jaws. Jaws cut out a lot of Peter Benchley's subplots, like the mayor of Amity not wanting to close the beaches because his administration owed money to the Mafia, and they needed to make a profit to pay back the mobsters, as well as marine biologist Matt Hooper having an affair with Chief Brody's wife. Most of that stuff was unnecessary and bogged down the story, and it was rightfully cut out of the film. Also, Quint in the book didn't have a motivation for why he hated sharks and was a shark hunter, so the movie gave him the backstory involving the USS Indianapolis, which gave him motivation. That's how you make changes for the right reasons.

Too often Hollywood makes changes to things for ideological reasons, which sucks.

Captain Marvel cutting out Mar-Vell and his relationship with Carol Danvers, and replacing Mar-Vell with a female character? What was that for?

Cutting out Adam Warlock from his signature storyline involving his battle with Thanos for the Infinity Gauntlet?

Cutting out Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne from the Avengers when they're founding members, while Scott Lang is not an Avenger and Hope Van Dyne doesn't exist in the comics, and making Tony Stark Ultron's creator instead of Hank?

See, all of those were changes that did not need to be made, and were made mostly for reasons involving ideology and studio politics, not narrative necessity.

Quote:
Let's face it, it's all the WB's fault. They were so very strict, and so in turn the writers were somewhat limited in what they could do. And Tom made sure No Flights No Tights stuck until the very end, even beyond S8 with the new show runners and writers.
Well, they were stupid, and their rules were self-defeating. They didn't even make any Flash or Wonder Woman movies during Smallville's run, so why wouldn't they let Smallville use Barry or Diana? And I get that Christopher Nolan was making those two Batman films while Smallville was on, but Smallville's Bruce Wayne would've been a teenager and wouldn't become Batman until the end of Smallville and his own show, just like Gotham. WB execs were shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. Think of all the advertising dollars they could've gotten with a Smallville/Gotham shared TV universe.

But the Clark/Lois thing on Smallville really didn't make sense. Erica was in a limited amount of episodes, and wasn't even allowed to portray Lois as being attracted to Clark because of the Superman Returns movie? Why even have her on the show in that case?

Oh, and Tom kept the "no tights, no flights" rule after season 7? Okay, now I'm angry with him.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 04-21-2023 at 06:15 PM
Old 04-21-2023, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I freaking love this scene.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It was the scene that should've started the clock ticking on the end of Clark/Lana.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 04-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Clark has got to do something about his wardrobe.