Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liability (View Post)
I especially love Luna's little speech during Dobby's funeral, and how Harry felt like he didn't have to say anything else because Luna had said it all.

Quote:
10. When Dobby died, Luna reached out and closed his eyes. It was a kind and gentle thing to do, showing such respect for the house elf who saved them all. ‘There,’ she said softly. ‘Now he could be sleeping.’ If that moment didn’t make you cry, nothing will…

11. Luna put sea lavender in a jam jar on Dobby’s grave. In a world where house-elves are often overlooked, it was a telling kindness [...]

Source: The kindness of Luna Lovegood

Quote:
[...] He [Harry] forced himself not to break down as he remembered Dumbledore's funeral, and the rows and rows of golden chairs, and the Minister for Magic in the front row, the recitation of Dumbledore's achievements, the stateliness of the white marble tomb. He felt that Dobby deserved just as grand a funeral, and yet here the elf lay bewteen bushes in a roughly dug hole.

'I think we ought to say something', pipped up Luna. 'I'll go first, shall I?

And as everybody looked at her, she addressed the dead elf at the bottom of the grave.

'Thank you so much, Dobby, for rescuing me from that cellar. It's so unfair that you had to die, when you were so good and brave. I'll always remember what you did for us. I hope you're happy now.'

-- J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Hardcover (Bloomsbury) UK, p. 388 [...]

UGH. I didn't need my heart anyway!

- William Butler Yeats
Old 05-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
When Dobby died, Luna reached out and closed his eyes. It was a kind and gentle thing to do, showing such respect for the house elf who saved them all. ‘There,’ she said softly. ‘Now he could be sleeping.’ If that moment didn’t make you cry, nothing will…
This always gets me everytime.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:47 PM
Moderator Support Team

aw, that was such a sweet part.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

I feel you guys, trust me!

Luna, Harry, & a baby thestral

- William Butler Yeats
Old 05-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Moderator Support Team

Have they mention on how they met?

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 05-07-2018, 02:12 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma_nirvami (View Post)
Luna, Harry, & a baby thestral
THIS IS SO CUTE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly me to the moon (View Post)
Have they mention on how they met?
Harry & Luna? It was in OoTP:

Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ I mean, in the book.. I should say the book..

is that what you want?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
^ I mean, in the book.. I should say the book..
Ginny made the introductions. It was a bit of a funny scene, really. They were all aboard the Hogwarts Express on their way to Hogwarts school, and Cho was walking down the corridor in the company of some of her girlfriends. Neville had just had a rather unpleasant accident with his Mimbulus Mimbletonia, which ended with the latter covering everyone in their compartment in Stinksap, so Harry didn't want to be seen hanging out with either him or Luna. Despite a rocky first encounter, and to Harry's considerable surprise, Luna came through just the same when the Ministry and co. were busy thinking he was lying about Voldemort, and he had all of three people on his side fighting to get everyone else off his back.

Luna was at the time a fourth-year Ravenclaw student, and one of the first people to openly declare their support for Harry in the face of Voldemort's widely-disputed return. So was for that matter Xenophilius, Luna's father and editor of the Quibbler magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Harry & Luna? It was in OoTP:
AH. I LOVE THIS!

- William Butler Yeats

Last edited by karma_nirvami; 05-12-2018 at 09:53 AM
Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 AM
Moderator Manager

I also found it quite fitting that both Harry & Luna lost a parent so they're more alike than it seems. Although I didn't like how Luna got the term "loony" just cause she was a bit different.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah while she's kind of odd and Harry isn't.. But he's really outcast bec of what happen..

Quote:
Ginny made the introductions. It was a bit of a funny scene, really. They were all aboard the Hogwarts Express on their way to Hogwarts school, and Cho was walking down the corridor in the company of some of her girlfriends. Neville had just had a rather unpleasant accident with his Mimbulus Mimbletonia, which ended up covering everyone in their compartment in Stinksap, so Harry didn't want to be seen hanging out with either him or Luna. Despite a rocky first encounter, and to Harry's considerable surprise, Luna came through just the same when the Ministry thought he was lying about Voldemort, and he had like three people on his side trying to get everyone else off his back.

Luna was at the time a fourth-year Ravenclaw student, and one of the first people to openly declare their support for Harry in the face of Voldemort's widely-disputed return. So was for that matter Xenophilius, Luna's father and editor of the Quibbler magazine.
Thank you! I really need to reread this books..

is that what you want?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Thank you! I really need to reread this books..
You're very welcome!

Quote:
Although I didn't like how Luna got the term "loony" just cause she was a bit different.
People are so cruel. It's sad how for all their differences (and there are some glaring differences between the two worlds), the wizarding world and its non-wizarding counterpart are, at the end of the day, more similar than we might think. Harry's own experience with bullying at the hands of Dudley and his gang pals for most of primary school is a case in point, and now Luna. Poor poor kids!

There are just some problems magic can't solve.

Quote:
I also found it quite fitting that both Harry & Luna lost a parent so they're more alike than it seems.
So I've greatly enjoyed reading your thoughts on the similarities between Harry and Luna. I never thought there'd be so many!

- William Butler Yeats
Old 05-09-2018, 01:49 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
People are so cruel. It's sad how for all their differences (and there are some glaring differences between the two worlds), the wizarding world and its non-wizarding counterpart are, at the end of the day, more similar than we might think. Harry's own experience with bullying at the hands of Dudley and his gang pals for most of primary school is a case in point, and now Luna. Poor poor kids!

There are just some problems magic can't solve.
Let's not even go to why Gryffindor is the superior house, Hufflepuffs are the losers, Ravenclaws are the nerds and Slytherins are the evil ones. Though I feel like that is mostly the fandom's interpretation and not necessarily of JKR.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ I think JKR did intend for Gryffindor to be seen as the superior house though. They're the leaders, while Slytherins are the antagonists/villains. A lot of things in the HP universe are painfully obvious and very cut and dry so it's expected that most of the fandom accepts them as facts.

I know the whole loony thing came from a place of cruelty but I think Luna sorta "reclaimed" the word by being such an amazing character. By the end I didn't view being loony as a bad thing, it was just a character trait that made her stand out. Then again she's my favorite so things people might view as flaws are the reasons I actually love her.

I also love how protective Harry got of her as the story progressed, he cared very deeply about her
Old 05-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Let's not even go to why Gryffindor is the superior house, Hufflepuffs are the losers, Ravenclaws are the nerds and Slytherins are the evil ones. Though I feel like that is mostly the fandom's interpretation and not necessarily of JKR.
What really weirds me out about Hogwarts's house system is Pottermore's apparent instistence on Ravenclaw as this uber-cool house where diversity is not only welcome but also deeply cherished, meaning that so long as you're a witty one, you're automatically less likely to be made fun of over most other things (i.e. being willing to go against the flow with some of your choices) than if a certain presence of mind were of no such consequence. But if that's true, then how does Luna's story hold up? Are we somehow meant to infer that it was people from other houses doing the bullying in Luna's case?

No disrespect to Ravenclaw fellas. I'm just trying to make sense of what we've been given so far on the four Hogwarts houses, and failing miserably as it is!

Quote:
^ I think JKR did intend for Gryffindor to be seen as the superior house though. They're the leaders, while Slytherins are the antagonists/villains. A lot of things in the HP universe are painfully obvious and very cut and dry so it's expected that most of the fandom accepts them as facts.
This is how I always figured the four Hogwarts houses are presented to us in terms of their overall importance to the story reading the books:

Gryffindor <----- Slytherin <----- Ravenclaw <----- Hufflepuff

Gryffindor and Slytherin feature prominently in the story.

Quote:
I know the whole loony thing came from a place of cruelty but I think Luna sorta "reclaimed" the word by being such an amazing character. By the end I didn't view being loony as a bad thing, it was just a character trait that made her stand out. Then again she's my favorite so things people might view as flaws are the reasons I actually love her.

YES! This is such a tremendously good way to put it, isn't it now? Different characters mean different things to different people, and Luna means quite a bit to me.

I guess I'm just proud to say that I've never witnessed hate of any kind being directed at Luna. At least, not where I could hear or watch! In my experience, she's easily one of the most beloved HP characters, for all the reasons you mention in your post.

- William Butler Yeats
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top