Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2016, 12:04 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEIII (View Post)
3. I disagree with some about Hermione and/or Ron being OOC, I found them perfectly in character; that's what that marriage would look like, 20 years later, IMO. Nice to see that Jo considers the events for them around the Yule Ball to be pivotal for the outlook of their future relationship; I've always thought that was the pivotal point of their early relationship, at least as Jo had written it.
I thought Ginny & Hermione were very much in-character. Harry a bit OOC but more Ron for me cause I feel like some of the lines he said in the play were a tad bit too much but that's mostly because Jo didn't write the play. I felt like I was reading a different HP story just cause of how it was written and the lines. It's obvious Jo didn't write it.

Quote:
6. The criticisms about Rose not seeming like a child of Hermione and Ron...does anyone remember Percy Weasley? Rose seems like an amalgam of young Hermione along with some of the snobbish attitudes of Percy...
My only Rose complaint is that I wish she would've had more presence in this one. She could have joined Albus & Scorpius in their adventure.

Quote:
7. The Voldemort having a daughter thing...Don't quite understand why people would find it strange that Voldemort would have sex with his female underlings? I expect Bellatrix wasn't the only one?
It's very weird for me. Granted, Bellatrix would be okay with that since she's rather obsessed with Voldemort but since this is canon, how come Dumbledore & Snape (or even the Malfoy family, mostly Narcissa) don't know about this? They've been tracking Dumbledore and the Death Eaters forever. And obviously Delphi lived before Bellatrix died so what happened to her? Did they give her away when Bellatrix gave birth? The SL is a roller-coaster on my brain that I can't quite process/accept yet.

Quote:
11. Maybe it's just me, but I found this rather heavily influenced by Moffat-era Dr Who ("Timey-Wimey" as the Eleventh Doctor would put it) Maybe Jo or The playwrights are fans? I understand if time travel storylines aren't everyone's cup of tea...I found the second Time Turner rather too...convenient. Deux Ex Machina anyone?
Yep. I keep comparing the whole Time-Turner SL to Doctor Who.

Quote:
12. Where's Luna? (My biggest disappointment, she's my favourite character)

13. Where's Neville? (Off with Luna? LOL)

14. Where's Hugo??
Yup to all of this. I like both Neville & Luna and while Neville was mentioned, I would have loved to at least see them both in the AU. Hugo's absence bothered me a bit. Granted James & Lily weren't on this one too but at least they were there. Hugo was MIA entirely.

Quote:
16. LOVED Scorpius...(but everyone does, right?)
Yep, who doesn't love him?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, I was surprised Rose didn't go with Albus and Scorpius. Kind of disappointed that Rose and Albus didn't remain best friends after Albus was sorted in Slytherin.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

I wasn't surprised about Rose not hanging out with Al and Scorps. Once it was established that she was never really social with Al at school then it made complete sense that she not be included. To have her there would have looked like they were trying to recreate a new trio.

I don't think anyone was ooc. When Jo is writing the story she has control over her characters so if the characters act different from what one would assume they would normally act that's not Jo's fault. That's our own prejudices we established in our heads. Harry was always a hot head. Fact is Albus kept pushing his buttons and he blew his top. Something he's done before many times in the series.

One of things I enjoyed seeing was despite the typical in control and disciplined Minister of Magic Hermione was she still was trying to get Harry organized. And Harry was like 'Yup, that's not happening'. Paperwork continues to not be his thing.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:37 AM
Elite Fan

Rose never would have gone along with what Albus wanted to do with the time turner. So I guess it makes sense she wasn't part of the adventure.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

No she definitely wouldn't. She would have told her mum asap if she knew her cousin was up to something illegal.

It would have been nice to see Al interact with his siblings more. That's one thing I would have wanted to see. But I suppose it's enough to know that James was a well adjusted student and had no issues surrounding him. Lily was a happy little girl too. So that establishes that Harry and Ginny were great parents and kept a happy home for their kids. That is until their middle child went all emo on them. But that's totally normal too. Every family usually has at least one kid that needs more special attention than the others.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:26 AM
Elite Fan

One thing I don't quite get. Why aren't these two eternally grounded after almost destroying the world?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Because they learned their lesson the hard way and ultimately they did SAVE the world so all is forgiven.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I thought Ginny & Hermione were very much in-character. Harry a bit OOC but more Ron for me cause I feel like some of the lines he said in the play were a tad bit too much but that's mostly because Jo didn't write the play. I felt like I was reading a different HP story just cause of how it was written and the lines. It's obvious Jo didn't write it.
Yeah exactly, I feel the same way. It was just too over the top at times and I simply can't get over that ridiculous scene where he enters the scene after eating in the Hogwarts kitchen. And come on, they made him into like some kind of incompetent clown when he turned his wand in the wrong way in AU.

I just wish he was more serious at times. Somebody made a comment on Reddit, how he would change it: he does jokes and stuff for the kids, so they can stay kids (unlike Ron and his friends childhoods) for as long as they can. But when Ron is around adults he's more reserved or serious in his humor. Maybe a bit more dark humor.

I love this idea.

The whole chilled out persona still feels odd. I get that he runs a joke shop and everything, but still, it is just not how I imagined Ron, not after what we saw in the whole 7 books, it is all a bit too much.

Harry was in character for the most part, the only time I think he was too OOC is in the way he talked to McGonagall - that was uncalled for, truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
One of things I enjoyed seeing was despite the typical in control and disciplined Minister of Magic Hermione was she still trying to get Harry organized. And Harry was like 'Yup, that's not happening'. Paperwork continues to not be his thing.
Yeah, that was pretty funny. And how Harry organized the papers and said it is no longer chaotic that is cheeky. Actually, from that scene it is pretty obvious that Hermione doesn't nag to death like she did before, she simply, like she said, nudged him to do it. And sure, Harry was a little annoyed but he didn't blow up because she knew when to stop. Plus, it was nice to see that she agreed right from the beginning that Harry should be the one to bait Delphi posing as Voldemort - even if would be painful, she knew Harry should do it - that is also very in character from her, this kind of situation happened a lot in the book series.

Last edited by zeze88; 08-06-2016 at 07:20 AM
Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze88 (View Post)
Yeah exactly, I feel the same way. It was just too over the top at times and I simply can't get over that ridiculous scene where he enters the scene after eating in the Hogwarts kitchen. And come on, they made him into like some kind of incompetent clown when he turned his wand in the wrong way in AU.

The whole chilled out persona still feels odd. I get that he runs a joke shop and everything, but still, it is just not how I imagined Ron, not after what we saw in the whole 7 books, it is all a bit too much.
i disagree completely. first of, the wrong wand scene - although ridiculous - happened in a different reality where ron is a rebel, one of the last living members of the order and a wanted man. i don't think he would be all that if he was so "incompetent clown" as you like to call him.

second, i don't know why it feels ooc to you. in the epilogue of the deathly hallows, we see an adult ron who jokes with the kids, and then has that amusing talk with harry and hermione about his driving license exams. that was a clear indication, that ron didn't lose his sense of humor and he enjoys his life.

okay, the play needed some comic relief at times and just like the books, ron was the one who had to bring it. in the cursed child, who could bring some light moments besides ron? harry/ginny/draco had their kids in danger so that's out of question. hermione is the minister of magic (and she was never known anyway for her humor or chilled out persona) so she couldn't either.
so by default, the only one left that it's in the group and could provide some light moments was ron. we agree that the moments they decided to lighten the mood were childish at times, but there were other times that ron brought the comic relief showing a more mature self, like the time he stood with the others saying "i didn't do it, my kids didn't do it, but if my friends are standing here then so am i" or when he proposed again to hermione.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Lets agree to disagree then, this is simply my interpretation of the script - that is all.

Just to carify, I don't mean that Ron was incompetent in general in AU but that scene is really ridiculous - that is like if math teacher doesn't know how much is 2 + 2. And, it is not clear how wanted he is since Snape points out he is not that wanted as he thinks he is.

Last edited by zeze88; 08-06-2016 at 11:44 AM
Old 08-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

I got my book in the mail today. I have no time to read it yet and it's driving me crazy. I'm itching to dive in but I just know that I won't wanna stop till I'm done.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Rose never would have gone along with what Albus wanted to do with the time turner. So I guess it makes sense she wasn't part of the adventure.
I just felt misled since Cherrelle was cast as Rose and was in the promo pictures with Noma & Paul, I figured she would have a large role in this. I do agree that Rose would never go with them both but I think if it was Hermione, she'd still go with Harry & Ron so a part of me thinks she would still go just so she can look after Albus at least. I'm disappointed that the play didn't even show how close Albus & Rose are.

Quote:

I just wish he was more serious at times. Somebody made a comment on Reddit, how he would change it: he does jokes and stuff for the kids, so they can stay kids (unlike Ron and his friends childhoods) for as long as they can. But when Ron is around adults he's more reserved or serious in his humor. Maybe a bit more dark humor.

I love this idea.

I wouldn't want Ron to be serious because that's not how he is. He's very relaxed, humorous and makes light of situations as also evidenced in the books. He said everyone is intense and without Ron, I probably wouldn't enjoy the tone of the play. Again, I feel that some of the silly lines on the play works if you watch it rather than read it. It also has a lot to do that I know Jo didn't write it so I'm setting myself up that the characters we already know will be OOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtaylor531 (View Post)
I got my book in the mail today. I have no time to read it yet and it's driving me crazy. I'm itching to dive in but I just know that I won't wanna stop till I'm done.
It's easy to read. Took me two days but I think I would've been done in a day if it wasn't for real-life getting in the way. And I got my book on a Monday so I had no choice but to read it on a weekday, when I get home from work.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:06 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I just felt misled since Cherrelle was cast as Rose and was in the promo pictures with Noma & Paul, I figured she would have a large role in this. I do agree that Rose would never go with them both but I think if it was Hermione, she'd still go with Harry & Ron so a part of me thinks she would still go just so she can look after Albus at least. I'm disappointed that the play didn't even show how close Albus & Rose are.
Yeah, it was a bit misleading. I mean, she had such a small role. Albus and Rose definitely aren't close now, they were when they were 6.

Quote:
I wouldn't want Ron to be serious because that's not how he is. He's very relaxed, humorous and makes light of situations as also evidenced in the books. He said everyone is intense and without Ron, I probably wouldn't enjoy the tone of the play. Again, I feel that some of the silly lines on the play works if you watch it rather than read it. It also has a lot to do that I know Jo didn't write it so I'm setting myself up that the characters we already know will be OOC.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want Ron to be serious either but this play went a bit too far with the jokes and his laid-back attitude, but of course that is just my opinion.

Look at Harry in this play, he hasn't changed much - he still can say hurtful things in the heat of the moment (his fight with Albus) and he is nasty when obsessed (him attacking McGonagall)

That is why Ron's so chilled out personality is just a bit too much for my taste. It is like he turned into Fred, he was calm and always cracking jokes.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'd much rather have a Ron that show levity in difficult situations than a Ron that's constantly afraid. CC brought the Ron I know and adore and I'm grateful for that.

Time for a new icon!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
That is why Ron's so chilled out personality is just a bit too much for my taste. It is like he turned into Fred, he was calm and always cracking jokes.
And that's not a bad thing, imo. But like you said, to each his own. I'm generally pleased with this play and I would really love to watch it.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top