Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child #3 - (Play and Book) Released and Open to RAVES! *SPOILERS*

Last edited by baileycat; 08-03-2016 at 07:13 PM
Old 08-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Elite Fan

Tftnt! I agree that Dan should see it. If Emma can manage it without getting mobbed then I'm sure he can. Maybe the staff can get him in when the lights go down.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Moderator Manager

I'm not going to post on tags here anymore since we have the word SPOILERS on the thread title. We'll have to use the tags on the other threads though until this Sunday when the tags come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze88 (View Post)
No, no, don't get me wrong. I am not talking about the angst, that is all ok. But it is certain dialogue that boys share that is very unrealistic and yes, it has a gay vibe.

"To the depths of your belly, to the tips of your fingers. I truly believe Voldemort — Voldemort couldn’t have a child like you. You make me stronger". "You may not have been there, Albus, but you were fighting — fighting alongside me" - I mean, who talks like that? Even if Scorp said that to Rose, it would have still looked cheesy and unrealistic - I just never ever could imagine boys talk like that towards each other. Harry and Ron had bromance going on but they never talked like that with each other.

And a lot of people who have seen the play say that the potential romance is even more evident in the play because of the way the actors act it out - apparently there is one scene where Albus and Scorpius stare at each other with longing - many say it is a really romantic scene, that it is hard to interpret it differently.
Yeah I get what you mean. I guess because we were thrust into their relationship right away and they were already talking this way makes it feel romantic somehow. I really don't mind it as long as it's portrayed in a positive light and I don't see anything wrong with that whether it be romantic or platonic.

Quote:
However, it is specifically stated that things changed because of kids' mess up - Rose doesn't exist because Ron fell for Padma and in the next Hermione is a wanted warrior because Voldy won. These are certain things the boys changed. You can fill in the blanks in your head if you want but the play does imply why Hermione is bitter - because of the boys messed up certain things that caused this. This is what I mean when I say that every book or play could fall under "but we don't know everything" - that can be only solved by filling the blanks yourself if you wish but the play does imply Hermione is bitter and alone while Ron has a failed marriage Padma - why it happened? Because of boys mistake that caused Rose not to exist, that is the only thing that changed. I hope you get where am I going with this.

It just bugs me that it does look unintentionally sexist - Hermione was a very strong character in the book, it was all about girl power. Heck, I even think that she could have achieved becoming a Minister sooner without a man in her life. But again, there is no reason why Hermione wouldn't also fall in love with another man. Not to mention I already mentioned here that I don't get why R/Hr wouldn't realize they like each other more than fiends when they went to the Yule bale together, I hate that jealousy had to be the trigger point. I hate in general that sometimes jealousy in the real life is so highly valued, like "oooh he is so jealous, he must love me a lot" - I just hate jealousy, period. Which is why it annoys me that in HP jealousy is considered as a trigger point for romance.
I don't see it as just Ron's fault. I think it's both of their fault for not admitting their feelings to each other (as is also the case in the books) that led them to the life they had in that AU.

I also don't see why jealousy is a trigger point? It's normal to get jealous but not to the point that you make it the be all and end all of your everyday life. If Scorpius didn't tell them about an alternate future, they'd just be going on with their lives for all we know and not married/together. They are as frustrating in AU as they were in the books which is what I saw from all of that. I'll agree to disagree with you on this one since we ship different couples on HP so I understand why you find this annoying.

Quote:
Exactly, that is the lesson which is disappointing since "don't mess with the past" was done countless of times before, EVEN in HP in book 3. Harry and Hermione didn't really change anything, they didn't change the future since it already happened but now this play allows you to really change the past. Like I said, this again makes you wonder why in the world tragedy ever occurs in wizarding world? Couldn't Dumbledore go in the past and kill Voldy when he was young? I bet everyone would love to have the opportunity to kill Hitler before anything horrible happened. That is what Rowling prevented in PoA, these questions to appear. Nut now... And don't tell me that more Time-Turners, different and more advanced now, exist - that is such a lazy thing to write.

And also, it is so disappointing that HP came back to this, even when Rowling admitted she made a big mistake writing about time-traveling since she completely lost herself in it - hence why she solved her mess by writing all of Time-Turners are destroyed in the first place.
Everytime "time travelling" is tackled, I always scratch my head. Doctor Who is pretty good with that since it's basically a time-travelling show but it also has it's lapses. I think what they meant to do was to show that the only way Delphi can be stopped is to travel back in time to change the past but it appears that this wasn't thought of well. And why Cedric? Of all the students killed, why him? Why not Fred or Remus/Tonks or Snape or Dumbledore? PoA did a lot better with the treatment of the Time-Turner.

Quote:
I respect Rowling for creating HP, she gave us beautiful series - but I must confess that I am disappointed in her for allowing this, and also certain other elements that look like a total fanservice.

I'm sure Thorne read the books, he is maybe even a big fan like he says - but, the problem is, I think he was influenced too much with the ongoing debates over the years and thought this is what the fans want to see. That i why it looks like a fanservice in so many elements that I mentioned before.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I am not hating on Rowling, I am not insulting her. BUT I am disappointed by majority of this. I never thought she would ever allow fan pandering in her series - she killed Dumbledore, Fred, Sirius, Hedwig, Tonks, Lupin - nobody wanted this, she must have known that but she went with it anyway. But this...

Of course everyone can guess I am not putting Cedric the death eater and Delphi the Volderbella spawn into this category - NOBODY wanted this, that's for sure:lol

I am not saying she wrote everything, it is obvious Thorne and the gang are key players. BUT the fact that she agreed to this plot and heavy fan pandering is equally horrible to me. It is just how I feel. I wish I could share the joy with everyone who loves it but I just can't
Like I said I generally like it, the overall tone and mood is something I expect from HP. And it's just so good to talk about something new HP-wise these days (be it good or bad). But the SLs are problematic to me. The very obvious one being the Time-Turners and how Scorpius & Albus were unsuccessful (as expected) that the adults have to do some fixing eventually. Some lines were silly and I was discombobulated by it. I can probably look past the Time-Turner problems but I'll never understand the Voldemort/Bellatrix/Delphi SL. That was super weird for me.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Moderator Manager

DP since I had a long post above. Just wanted to post this because it's amazing considering all things.

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two script book, the eighth Harry Potter story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne, published in the U.S. and Canada by Scholastic, hit bookstores nationwide at 12:01 a.m. on July 31, 2016. Retailer reports estimate that Scholastic has sold more than 2 million copies in North America in the first two days of sales, unprecedented for a script book.

“Eager fans of all ages gathered at midnight parties in bookstores and libraries to get their copies of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, bringing communities together to celebrate the magic of reading and the power of great storytelling,” said Ellie Berger, President, Scholastic Trade. “It’s an incredible start and all the signs are indicating continued strong sales for this exciting release.

Scholastic announced a first printing of 4.5 million copies of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two script book, and retailers reported fast-paced, record-breaking pre-sales leading up to the release date.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two, a play by Jack Thorne based on an original story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, premiered at The Palace Theatre in London’s West End on July 30, 2016 and received rave 5 star reviews. At 12:01 a.m. ET on July 31, Scholastic released the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two script book (ISBN 978-1-338-09913-3; All Ages), in print in the U.S. and Canada. This Special Rehearsal Edition contains the complete script, including stage directions, used by the original West End production during the play’s preview period.

The New York Times praised the script book as, “electric and nonstop…a compelling, stay-up-all-night read,” and Entertainment Weekly, in an “A” review, calls it, “captivating…this is Harry Potter like you’ve never experienced it before.” The Globe and Mail in Canada exclaimed that it’s “thumpingly good.”

Following rave reviews, Sonia Friedman, Colin Callender and Harry Potter Theatrical Productions, producers of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, recently announced that a further 250,000 tickets will be released for sale tomorrow ( Thursday August 4, 2016) at 11am BST, booking through to December 10, 2017.
'Cursed Child' script book sells over 2 million copies in 2 days in N.A., 680K in UK - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 08-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt!
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 AM
Elite Fan

You guys, you guys, we have a clip! Harry/Ginny
Spoiler:
!

I wonder if the music is from the play?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

SQUEEEEEE! Its so cute!!!!! OMG I'm dying!

I now can't think of anyone else playing adult Harry other than Jamie. I know there will be many more actors who get this opportunity after him but he's Harry for me!

I don't know if its the music but I've read the music for the play is beautiful.

ETA: with all these video clips from the play were seeing I do think its a good assumption that we'll get a full length recording available at some point.

Last edited by baileycat; 08-04-2016 at 04:36 AM
Old 08-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Aaawww that's so cute!

They have to show us the play eventually. I don't think JKR would keep only a few to have the privilege to see it. She knows it too that at some point it must go public. A recording of the play is sure. The release date is another thing. Maybe next year?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Moderator Support Team

i want to see this play
Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguoc (View Post)
You guys, you guys, we have a clip! Harry/Ginny
Spoiler:
!
Thanks for this, I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
i want to see this play
Me too but good news it that the producers are thinking to go international soon. Hopefully it comes to a country near ours.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnUnited (View Post)
Aaawww that's so cute!

They have to show us the play eventually. I don't think JKR would keep only a few to have the privilege to see it. She knows it too that at some point it must go public. A recording of the play is sure. The release date is another thing. Maybe next year?
Maybe! Crossing fingers and toes!

Tickets sales have extended to the end of 2017 now. I've seen tweets from people having to cew on the phone being in the thousands. The patience you have to have is immense. It's incredible if you can actually score them. I hope these people realize that the they'll be watching a whole new cast by that time.

Still can't get over the Jamie video from yesterday.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:17 AM
Elite Fan

The important thing to remember is that any new cast will be top-notch. I get the disappointment of not seeing the advertised faces (I just found out Jamie will be away for the week I see the play in in December which is gutting but I'm seeing it in March 2017 too so I hope my luck will be better then) but any other new cast or indeed understudies will be on their games, I'm sure. It's clear those making the creative decisions know what they are doing.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Passionate Fan

The play is booked till May 2017 right? I'm hoping to get tickets for June 2017 so I can celebrate my birthday there
Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh I'd be gutted too not being able to see Jamie as Harry either. Yeah, that's the thing with theatre, it's always changing. You can see the same show multiple times and every show is different. I love that about theatre. I've seen so many toured shows in Toronto that originated in New York or The West End and all of them have been incredible.

The show is running till the end of December 2017 but it's extremely likely that will again be extended. There's really no sign of it stopping with the tickets selling out in minutes online. It's the Hamilton of the West End.

Finally someone found it!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
The show is running till the end of December 2017 but it's extremely likely that will again be extended. There's really no sign of it stopping with the tickets selling out in minutes online. It's the Hamilton of the West End.
!
Indeed. Maybe it'll run for years... So then maybe the Broadway run will have a brand new cast?

I could easily see this play running on a semi-perennial basis on Broadway, kinda like Phantom, or Cats? It would be the first non-musical to have that kind of staying power, no?

I personally loved it after reading it...I can only account for some of the negative reaction to some people just not being used to read or see plays anymore? Theatre critics loved it, because they're used to seeing and reviewing plays all the time...plays, like films, are meant to be seen to be fully experienced, not just read as a script...

Impressions:

1. Some people throw around the term "fanfiction"...Jo has said this is the eighth Potter story, it was done with her approval, this by definition makes it Potter Canon, whether one likes it or not.

2. I found the dialogue for the children very intentionally similar to Jo's style for the Prisoner of Azkaban, which makes perfect sense both for the actual story (re: Time Turners) and for the age of the new children of the story.

3. I disagree with some about Hermione and/or Ron being OOC, I found them perfectly in character; that's what that marriage would look like, 20 years later, IMO. Nice to see that Jo considers the events for them around the Yule Ball to be pivotal for the outlook of their future relationship; I've always thought that was the pivotal point of their early relationship, at least as Jo had written it.

4. Some criticisms are about Harry being angsty and tortured...come on! Wouldn't you be, after what Harry went through? Besides, I seem to recall Harry being pretty angsty in the latter books! (Particularly in the Order of the Phoenix)

5. LOVED that the Trolley Witch seems to be a somewhat inhuman Defense Mechanism for the Hogwarts train...LOVED it!

6. The criticisms about Rose not seeming like a child of Hermione and Ron...does anyone remember Percy Weasley? Rose seems like an amalgam of young Hermione along with some of the snobbish attitudes of Percy...

7. The Voldemort having a daughter thing...Don't quite understand why people would find it strange that Voldemort would have sex with his female underlings? I expect Bellatrix wasn't the only one?

8. LOVED how in the alternate world Snape, Hermione and Ron are kinda, sorta friends...

9. Hermione as Minister of Magic...yep, I expected that!

10. Hermione as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher...(OK, they totally stole that from fanfics, LOL)

11. Maybe it's just me, but I found this rather heavily influenced by Moffat-era Dr Who ("Timey-Wimey" as the Eleventh Doctor would put it) Maybe Jo or The playwrights are fans? I understand if time travel storylines aren't everyone's cup of tea...I found the second Time Turner rather too...convenient. Deux Ex Machina anyone?

12. Where's Luna? (My biggest disappointment, she's my favourite character)

13. Where's Neville? (Off with Luna? LOL)

14. Where's Hugo??

15. Me, I LOVED the last scene between Scorpius and Rose ( "Her pity will build us a palace of Love" LOL)

16. LOVED Scorpius...(but everyone does, right?)

And when Love speaks, the voice of all the Gods makes Heaven drowsy with the Harmony-William Shakespeare
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top