Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey, I've just been "lurking" and thought I'd poke my head in the door and respond to that article that was linked a couple pages back. Straight up, I'm a Christian, and that whole essay was pretty much crap. I love these books, and I love Jesus. If people can keep it in their heads that the HP books are FICTION, aka ENTERTAINMENT... it's not hurting anybody. I read that another person had a hard time with some "Christians" who wanted to burn their HP books before accepting them, well, that's not what Jesus is all about. So I just hope that you don't turn around and start hating on Christians, because, well, we're not all judgemental and hateful.

Also, to join in the current conversation, I like to hate Snape, so if he went all soft and had this great friendship with Harry after it's all over, well... there goes my fun.
What's this Ron-Dumbledore theory you mentioned?

pale is the new tan
Old 04-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Passionate Fan

They will never have a great relationship. It would just be great if they kind of understood eachother at the end of it all. They'll always be jerks to eachother because that's how they are but I hope there's a chance that they'll have at least a grudging respect for one another.

I don't hate Christians. Don't worry. I'm just not fond of such... extremists, so to say.

I'd write an actual response but I have a bunch of work to do. Keep posting!

~Chrissy~
Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Master Fan

iamkricket: The "fish" line in your sig--that is my FAVORITE line in the whole movie.

I'm feeling momentarily at peace; nothing to discuss. I know, I know...but I'm hardly ever at peace and I like enjoying it the few times it comes around every year.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with the fact that Snape and Harry will never be really close and that they will be jerks but yeah hopefully they will at least respect each and they both know it although they would never admit it.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Passionate Fan

I hope they can find some measure of respect for each other too--even if they still hate each other's guts. Harry will have to mature a lot more before the series end, and that's a hard thing to do when you are just 15-17.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

I don't think they'll ever be friends; respecting one another isn't too out of the question though. What I would really like is for Harry to just give snape a piece of his mind and tell him that his grudge is childish, that I wuld truly love to read. I think that maybe after they understand each other more they won't hate each other, but will NEVER be fiends. The sad thing is if Snape had not been so mean to Harry when he first arrived and contunued to be cruel, Harry might've really respected Snape, maybe, possibly.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Passionate Fan

Harry may think that Snape's grudge is childish but Harry constantly and irrationally blaming Snape for things is also childish. It's like the cast iron pot calling the kettle black.

Airie, I am kind of peaceful myself. I don't really have anything nagging at me except that we never got in answer book-wise that explained Sirius having a wand again. We've got all of our theories but no real idea. That somewhat bothers me.

~Chrissy~
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

What bothers ME in regards to Sirius is how in PoA, he tells Harry he plays Quidditch like his father, and after he dies in OotP, Harry wonders what Sirius thought of his Quidditch playing, because apparently he'd forgotten to ask him. It annoys me to no end.

Harry and Snape need to get over themselves. They both have some atoning to do. It's already known who's atoning I'm more focused on lack thereof makes my rage swell, but in the end, it doesn't matter so much--they both need to.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ADARA*
Harry may think that Snape's grudge is childish but Harry constantly and irrationally blaming Snape for things is also childish. It's like the cast iron pot calling the kettle black.~Chrissy~
WID! They both need to grow for any sort of respect to be able to form.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think all negative things of him, but there's no way I'd dub him, or any of the other ethnic/social/racial/blah cleansers as evil.
So by this definition, no one is ever evil. Which I cant believe, because our world has too many horrors in it for there to be no negative force. Yes, we are only human, but I think part of being human is the capacity for evil.

Quote:
spikearrin, you've been added. I'm not so good at the whole not insulting people thing. I revised the first post a little bit but I haven't made it entirely people friendly yet. I tend to state things in a manner that always insults at least one person. I'm working on it, I promise
Thanks! And just to clarify, the opener didnt offend me, but I was just thinking about the young un's that grace this board. As much as Id love everyone to be mature and grammatically conscious, its just an ideal that will never be reached, Im afraid. Especially at a board thats for a book written for children.

Quote:
I would just rather that people didn't TyPe LiKe ThIs or IN ALL CAPS because it gets annoying. So does saying things like "ur" and other such nonsense. It bothers me. If you are at least putting in effort to make sense then hey, I love you for it... but don't come rant here if you are going to do those icky annoying things I just mentioned. I think I'm going to modify this blurb and stick it in the opener.
I was reading the first few sentences of that and was thinking "THIS is what you should put in the opener! And then you go say it.

Quote:
In a particularly distasteful and lewd display, Potter tries to tempt the rightfully furious Angel by raising his pant leg and showing him his nude ankle. In this way the Harry Potter books contribute to the hidden gay agenda. When this temptation is refused, he has a malignant house spirit who embodies all the evils of stem-cell research curse the angel down.

Re: Snape + Harry
Anyone think Snape will be inclined to be nicer to Harry in HBP now that Sirius has died? I cant see Snape as being that horrible as to treat a hurting Harry with the same amount of loathing he usually reserves for him.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikearrin
So by this definition, no one is ever evil. Which I cant believe, because our world has too many horrors in it for there to be no negative force. Yes, we are only human, but I think part of being human is the capacity for evil.
That's what I mean. The negative force is the evil. The people are not. It sets certain people who commit negative acts apart from humanity and the capacity for "evil" that is part of it, making it seem like its *them*, and not a human tendency. But it IS a human tendency. It's kind of a matter of "The evil in you vs. you are evil." I think since things like humanity and complexities and capacities of different extremes come into play, it's the first.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Master Fan

hmm interesting how this became a discussion of the nature of evil. I think that the difference between evil in you and you are evil is kind of like which came first the chicken or the egg. If you are evil there has to be evil in you and to have evil in you, you have to be evil.. hmm anyhoo I'm sure that discussion could go on for ages.

The one question I do have about HP and people being evil. Who do you guys think are evil in the books? I think Voldemort is evil of course since his main goal is to destroy muggle borns and to spread hate. It is interesting though. Kind of like Hitler whose mother was Jewish Voldemont hates the fact he is muggle born. I wonder if J.K. Rowling had the idea of Hitler in her mind when she started writing his character.

I also think Umbridge was evil. Her joy at the pain of others is truly evil. The way she went to destroy Hogwarts.

I don't think the Malfoy's are "evil" I think they are full of hate but they are too cowardly to ever be evil.

I think Peter boarders on being evil. The fact that he sold out his friends who trusted him to death is a very bad act. But the reason behind it is what gets me. Was he just a coward or did he hate them and want to destroy them?? So I haven't made up my mind if he is evil or not.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 04-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
I wonder if J.K. Rowling had the idea of Hitler in her mind when she started writing his character.
Interesting coincidence, 'cause last night I was reading a friend's essay about Hitler and that was the first thought that came into my mind. Who knows, it does make sense.

Quote:
I think Peter boarders on being evil. The fact that he sold out his friends who trusted him to death is a very bad act. But the reason behind it is what gets me. Was he just a coward or did he hate them and want to destroy them?? So I haven't made up my mind if he is evil or not.
From what I know about Peter, I don't think he's necessarily evil, he's a coward and that makes me despise him even more. In Snape's worst memory, it was kind of clear for me that he was the "third wheel", always living in the shadow of the other three marauders and Sirius' words in PoA already had given me a vague idea of this. And you made a very good question, I never really stopped to think if Peter really wanted to destroy his "friends", betraying them for pure revenge. For me, it was his way to seek for his own power and I even think he regretted, but it was already too late.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Peter is a conumdrum isn't he? We still don't know what it was that made him turn against his friends. His weakness has been illustrated throughout the books so it's clear how easily it was for him to be lured to the bad side. And the same can be asked about Tom. Although, as some people have said, his hatred and anger over being rejected by his father (a muggle) is a pretty good indication as to why he let evil consume him to the point where there is very little if any Tom Riddle left in him. But what was the last straw? What was it that made him snap and break away from his humanity for good? I don't think it was just his overwhelming greed for power.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
to have evil in you, you have to be evil.
I don't think so. There's so much negativity in the world, I think there is the potential in everyone to be/have "evil," though not everyone acts on it. I think it comes through in the purest forms of being mad enough you fantasize about hurting someone, or you actually do (even in a mild sense, in the greater scheme of things), or with people who have prejudices, and such. There's some in everyone, but not everyone is "evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
Her joy at the pain of others is truly evil.
Though I'm hardly disputing any negative feelings toward Umbridge, I'd think that'd be better termed as sadistic. Which leads into...she's insane. I do think she's psychopathic. Doing all of that without guilt, indeed with PLEASURE...there's madness in that.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top