Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Passionate Fan

Well, I wouldn't blame the entire L/C thing on the writers this season. Sure things may have been able to end quicker for that storyline, but it started last season. I haven't wanted to rewatch an episode since probably before midseason last year.

Quote:
But more, I'm still totally confused about what the writers are showing for Logan.
I've been confused about this since they introduced his character. I can see that he was around to get Rory out of her usual comfort zone. She needed something like that I suppose. But outside that, I still don't know why he still exists as Rory's boyfriend. (And this may be going way beyond where caf123 was going with her comment.) I could always see Lorelai and Luke. I could even see a little of why Lorelai was with Christopher (the first time). I've seen Rory and Dean and Rory and Jess. But I still can't see Rory and Logan...although I have enjoyed Logan's character this year moreso than any other time in the past few seasons.

I have a point here...I think one of the biggest reasons Rory fell for Logan is that he is a little bit of each of her parents and yes, often daughters find love in boys/men that remind them of their father. So it makes sense that many people find Logan very similar to Christopher (and Lorelai). There is nothing wrong with that. I feel like he was written like that on purpose.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartbsb (View Post)
Well, I wouldn't blame the entire L/C thing on the writers this season. Sure things may have been able to end quicker for that storyline, but it started last season. I haven't wanted to rewatch an episode since probably before midseason last year.

I've been confused about this since they introduced his character. I can see that he was around to get Rory out of her usual comfort zone. She needed something like that I suppose. But outside that, I still don't know why he still exists as Rory's boyfriend. (And this may be going way beyond where caf123 was going with her comment.) I could always see Lorelai and Luke. I could even see a little of why Lorelai was with Christopher (the first time). I've seen Rory and Dean and Rory and Jess. But I still can't see Rory and Logan...although I have enjoyed Logan's character this year moreso than any other time in the past few seasons.

I have a point here...I think one of the biggest reasons Rory fell for Logan is that he is a little bit of each of her parents and yes, often daughters find love in boys/men that remind them of their father. So it makes sense that many people find Logan very similar to Christopher (and Lorelai). There is nothing wrong with that. I feel like he was written like that on purpose.
This reminds me of when, after Rory's first kiss, Lorelai tells Luke that Dean looks like Chris.

LORELAI: Want to hear something crazy?

LUKE: 'Cause all the talk up until now has been so normal.

LORELAI: He kind of looks like Christopher.

LUKE: The grocery kid?

LORELAI: Yeah. He looks like Christopher.

LUKE: And Christopher is Rory's dad?

LORELAI: The hair, the build, something about the eyes. He reminds me of Christopher.

LUKE: Well that's not too surprising.

LORELAI: You're going to quote Freud to me? 'Cause I'll push you in front of a moving car. This talk was going so well.

LUKE: You and Rory are a lot alike. It's not surprising you would have similar tastes in men.

So maybe this explains the whole Logan thing too?
Kelly1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Passionate Fan

Good find. I forgot about that scene.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Passionate Fan

Lorelai knew the plans had been made, knew you "couldn't change the plans" but I think she always had every intention to, and once Rory came along she seized her opportunity.

That does separate her from Logan, who, as I said, milked his privildeges for all they were worth, before going into the family business as planned, and, call me crazy, but he seemed to really enjoy it there. Until he screwed everything up. Then he bailed. And now he's trying things on his own.

Basically, she did leave as soon as she could. As soon as she was 18, she was out the door.

There are definitely similarities in Lorelai and Logan, but I think there are more between him and Chris-- but we'll see. I want to see Logan working in the real world, not mooching off Rory while he waits for the right chance to jump to the top again. I want to see Logan in the real world, and maybe then I'll be better equipped to say who he better compares to.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Logan is not mooching off Rory he told Paris he wasen't broke and I believe he still has money in his trustfund and he is paying his credit card bills from his own money not from Rory he is just living with Rory
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Logan is not mooching off Rory he told Paris he wasen't broke and I believe he still has money in his trustfund and he is paying his credit card bills from his own money not from Rory he is just living with Rory
Just like Rory moved with him in 6.14 when Paris kicked her out and stayed at his apartment for a long time. They have been dating for a while now, so I don't see nothing wrong with that.
gilmorebrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Master Fan

Rory has nothing to do with Logan's credit card bills, she's just a roomate
Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Exactly he is simply living with his girlfriend nothing wrong with that
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Extreme Fan

They talked about credit card statement to let us know that Logan's paying it now, and not his dad. Rory has nothing to do with that.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Passionate Fan

Ok, 1) if Logan was mooching off Rory, I wouldn't care really since she mooched off him plenty.

2) I missed that he still had money. Nevertheless, the rest of my post still stands, and the rest is what was important anyway.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartbsb (View Post)

Beyond Logan's similarity (or not) to either of Rory's parents, I think Logan is meant to symbolize or represent someone from the world of privilege--the world of Emily/Richard, the world that Lorelai left. To me it is an interesting twist or SL to have Rory fall in love with someone who belonged to that world. It contrasts nicely with the life and loves that Lorelai had chosen for herself.

And yet Logan is not exactly like Christopher/Richard/Mitchum, and Rory is not exactly like Lorelai/Emily either. I see them taking their respective worlds or backgrounds with them, then fashioning their own unique lives out of that. Making more of themselves, going out into the larger world.

With Dean or Jess, this possibility doesn't present itself as well; the juxtaposition of SH and privilege and opportunity and the conflicts and possibilities that come about don't come off as strongly as Rory with Logan. Dean will forever be a small-town SH kind of guy, and Jess...I honestly don't know what he is or what he's become, how he fits at all with the Rory we know now. We barely witnessed his growth as a person since his angry, aimless years in S3 and S4. Both boyfriends had their place in Rory's life at particular times. This time--looking to Rory's future and the long haul--I personally see her with Logan.
secret life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorebrazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Do you seriously think Lorelai would have found a nice DAR son and returned home after graduating to keep his house and support his career, like Emily did and Shira (superficially) does?
I didn't even imply that in my post.
That was Emily and Richard's "plan" and you seemed to say Lorelai would have followed their plan if she hadn't had Rory. I was saying Lorelai would have gone to college, as they wanted, because college also makes sense, it's part of growing up and qualifying for life in this day and age. It's after graduating that most kids these days are really on their own - that's when they launch into the world to follow their own choices about what they'll do. I don't ever see Lorelai following her parents plans then.

Interesting how in Kayak, Emily lauded Lorelai's career success - and then recanted the very next morning, reverting right back to the "old Emily" - the woman who still wants her daughter to follow her plan in her world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret life (View Post)
Beyond Logan's similarity (or not) to either of Rory's parents, I think Logan is meant to symbolize or represent someone from the world of privilege--the world of Emily/Richard, the world that Lorelai left. To me it is an interesting twist or SL to have Rory fall in love with someone who belonged to that world. It contrasts nicely with the life and loves that Lorelai had chosen for herself.
We've seen Lorelai with Max - more middle than upper class, though his venue was Chilton - then Alex, about whom he know very little. Digger came from Emily and Richard's world, as of course does Christopher. Luke of course doesn't.

Not nitpicking, just surprised by your statement. Out of the 5 men Lorelai's had relationships with (even counting now-you-see-me-now-you-don't Alex), one is Stars Hollow, 2 were middle-class, and 2 totally belong to Emily and Richard's privileged world. Where's the contrast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite sadness
Lorelai knew the plans had been made, knew you "couldn't change the plans" but I think she always had every intention to, and once Rory came along she seized her opportunity.
Or the opportunity was thrust on her much sooner and younger than she ever expected - that's a minor quibble. I totally agree with you.

Lorelai, about her dog: He's totally fine having his personal freedoms slowly stripped away,
as long as he's completely unaware that it's happening - just like a true American.
caf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf123 (View Post)
That was Emily and Richard's "plan" and you seemed to say Lorelai would have followed their plan if she hadn't had Rory.
I may be wrong, but I always thought that Richard and Emily's pressure to Lorelai marry Christopher (if is that what you are talking about) was a consequence of her pregnancy. But I didn't know that was their original plan for her. The few times Richard gave some hints of his dreams for his daughter's future, they were always about her going to Yale like him.

Anyway, what I said in my posts 55 and 57 is that according to the episode Dear Emily and Richard Lorelai was heading to follow her parents plan for her and what prompted the change was her pregnancy.

We can spec what she would have done under different circumstances, but those will be always just specs. Especially given that she is a fictional character and we know how the writers can come up with some very surprising twists...an then we all go crazy saying that was OOC.
gilmorebrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorebrazil (View Post)
I may be wrong, but I always thought that Richard and Emily's pressure to Lorelai marry Christopher (if is that what you are talking about) was a consequence of her pregnancy. But I didn't know that was their original plan for her. The few times Richard gave some hints of his dreams for his daughter's future, they were always about her going to Yale like him.
Oops now I see what you mean.

I didn't mean it as specifically as you took it. I agree Richard preferred his daughter to go to Yale - but really, "the plan" was an Ivy. Or at the very least, a very good college. That's all I was saying. To be followed by a good marriage - you're right that ER wouldn't have pushed Christopher if he wasn't Rory's father. They adjusted their overall plan to fit the circumstances.

I was talking about the basics. The plan - typically for the Gilmore universe - was for Lorelai to go to an Ivy college and bring home a man of good breeding to marry and take her place in her parents' world.

And all I was saying is, Rory or no Rory, I don't see Lorelai ever doing that.

Even when she did marry Christopher, however OOC as you also said - she still rebelled against the hoopla of Emily's planned vow renewal. Whatever else she did, that's never the world Lorelai was going to end up in.

Lorelai, about her dog: He's totally fine having his personal freedoms slowly stripped away,
as long as he's completely unaware that it's happening - just like a true American.
caf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode was one of my favorites. Logan and Rory went in the same direction in Hay Bale Maze. Then he came back to Stars Hollow with her. Also this is where the real Rory Gilmore sleeps. Logan was ready to work hard and he sort of befriended Lor in this ep. and the factoring each other in.