Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lookin for Luke
Anyway I'm glad it's doing well in the US. It makes it look good for next year (Well I presume it does anyway) I guess it also depends on the actors as well.
To put things in context the reality offerings of Fox and NBC for 8pm on Tuesdays were flops. ABC moved the higher rated 8 Simple Rules to another night with less demographically threatening replacements. UPN is UPN. The only strong competitor is the crime series Navy NCIS on CBS and for the next month or so the baseball post-season on Fox both of whom have completely different demographics.

Gilmore Girls is actually not necessarily doing that much better than before but rather to it's credit is going against two different trends. First ratings on the WB are plummeting. This week Seventh Heaven declined enough to actually tie GG. Everwood is down. Charmed is down. And Smallville is way down. The Mountain is a flop. Jack & Bobby is an even bigger flop... enough that one wonders how they managed to get more episodes picked up. Second tv viewership in general is going down.

It'll be interesting to see how GG does when Fox puts up "better" *cough* *cough* *cough* competitors such as The Simple Life and American Idol. NBC is putting on a "reality show" where fat people compete over who can lose the most weight. I have a slight feeling that will be an even bigger dud than Last Comic Standing.

Right now things look VERY good for a pickup. All other veteran shows are declining in the ratings. The new series are getting ratings that would've gotten Angel pulled in a heartbeat. (Not that I'm still bitter or anything... but at least now the WB execs hate themselves for it as much we hate them). And weak competition hopefully continue to let GG build it's audience up. And GG is getting good (translation: young) demographics.

I assume the cast is still locked up. If not the only two they'd need to worry about would be Lauren and Alexis both of whom they would re-sign in a heartbeat unless they demand friends money. The others are expendable (even if it would be sad to lose say Luke or the grandparents) and probably won't haggle. Besides Edward Hermann, Alexis Bledel would be the only cast member who'd have a reasonable assurance of a career waiting for them if they left. And even then given her still limited fame and lack of acting credits it is an open question whether her movie offers would dry up without Gilmore Girls promoting her every week (David Caruso syndrome).
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 10-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raja
Gilmore Girls is actually not necessarily doing that much better than before but rather to it's credit is going against two different trends. First ratings on the WB are plummeting. Second tv viewership in general is going down.
TV viewership across the board is going down? Why do you think this is? I'm actually happy about this statistic. Given WB's decline in ratings, and a surehold such as GG, do you think they will place more emphasis on promoting the show, or continue to support less-viewed and quickly-cascading shows, in efforts to bring up total WB viewership?

Quote:
If not the only two they'd need to worry about would be Lauren and Alexis both of whom they would re-sign in a heartbeat unless they demand friends money. The others are expendable (even if it would be sad to lose say Luke or the grandparents) and probably won't haggle. Besides Edward Hermann, Alexis Bledel would be the only cast member who'd have a reasonable assurance of a career waiting for them if they left. And even then given her still limited fame and lack of acting credits it is an open question whether her movie offers would dry up without Gilmore Girls promoting her every week (David Caruso syndrome).
You're right. I don't see Lauren or Alexis demanding crazy Friends money. Their TV star power cred is increasing with each passing season, don't you think? This warrants a reasonable raise, imo. And it is sad that the other cast members probably don't have TV or film outs the way EH and AB do. I'm convinced that AB will do just fine. She may still be limited, but she's young, marketable (as a beautiful antidote to the teen-****-and-hooch image), and she's got the capability to break out of teeny-bopper-dom. If the show ends though, all the cast members (esp Alexis) will have to up their ante, in terms of acting chops. Alexis has progressed rather nicely, but can she hang with the big girls onscreen? We'll see. I'm very hopeful. Liza Weil, bless the girl, I wish her all the luck in this world, because she's an incredible find.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Total Fan

I think Alexis is the wild card. She's young and has nothing to lose by leaving. I'm sure she is hot for a movie career.

Lauren's got a good thing going with the WB.....her movies have been okay but not great and she's not getting any younger. Too bad becuase she is certainly capable of so much more than the movies she has done. But she might be tired of being so tied down......and not having the time to do bigger movie roles even if they are offered.

The Luke character is certainly not expendable.....if he goes so do a lot of viewers......but I think Scott would sign in a minute....and I think he already is in for another year anyway.

I guess if they could get David to sign as a regular some people would be happy.

I know nothing so my babble is over.....I just hope for an early decision one way or the other.....so we can cheer or morn.

Hope the ratings are a good indication that we may be cheering!! One more year please....
Old 10-15-2004, 12:53 PM
LLB
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by starshollow
Where did you find that clips for the Real Player? Cause mine is working fine... :-)
I can't remember where I found all of them, but here's one sight with a couple of things:
http://www.geocities.com/scottpatter...ite/media.html
"When it comes to relationships, maybe we're all in glass houses and shouldn't throw stones. Because you can never really know. Some people are settling down, some people are settling... and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies."
<- avi courtesy of Cress
.Léa.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Entertainment Geekly Review of 5.04 TATT

David Greleck of Entertainment Geekly reviewed TATT. Opening Rant is a lot like what we have heard before about the R/D storyline. But apparently some crtitics are now beginning to notice and comment.

"...episode as whole was kinda meandering and relatively pointless."

The link to the review is here.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Re: Entertainment Geekly Review of 5.04 TATT

Quote:
Originally posted by Jet1945
David Greleck of Entertainment Geekly reviewed TATT. Opening Rant is a lot like what we have heard before about the R/D storyline. But apparently some crtitics are now beginning to notice and comment.

"...episode as whole was kinda meandering and relatively pointless."

The link to the review is here.
The artice is a little harsh, but I agree with him on the whole...
Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Cotton Candy

Wow, how could someone say that the show could go on without Emily and Richard? That would be utterly ridiculous! They are two of the four wheels that makes this show work. I would definitely stop watching if they left.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

For me if anyone left the show wouldn't be the same but for me if Lorelai, Rory, Luke, Emily or Richard left then it would be really hard to watch without them. Espeically Luke because without Luke I think we would lose some of Lorelai. There is something about her when she's with him. Sometimes it's being funny, cute, flirty, annoying but all those make Lorelai. And now Rory is at college they don't seem to have the same relationship anymore. And I would really miss friday night dinners if Emily or Richard left.
OK now I've forgotten why I started posting this lol. It's been a long day looking after 5 babies. If I remember my point in a bit I'll edit lol.

MMS #55, ILY #64, WYMM #17, NSL #15, VT #4, LL #11

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/lookin_for_luke/ My day on the Gilmore Girl Set
Scott Patterson hugged me
Old 10-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nostalgic Journey
Wow, how could someone say that the show could go on without Emily and Richard? That would be utterly ridiculous! They are two of the four wheels that makes this show work. I would definitely stop watching if they left.
By expendable I don't mean that losing any of them wouldnt be a loss. Or that TPTB would want to lose any of them. But that since the show could easily continue without them they have no leverage to demand money. Rory and Lorelai could eat at a diner run by Lane or Caesar instead of Luke, Rory could get a new friend to replace Lane or Paris, and Rory and Lorelai could have dinner at the other grandparents house and things would continue pretty much as is even if the change of background scenery is jarring.

On the otherhand if Lauren Graham left the entire show would have to be re-engineered around Rory meaning that either she has to drop out of school and move to Star's Hollow or they transform it completely into a college based story.

And if Alexis Bledel left... the show would either be canned because the WB felt it couldnt maintain it's demographics with a bunch of "old" people or there would be an even more jarring shift. Something such as Luke and Lorelai marrying and bringing back Jess for the "young" storyline or Lorelai adopts her long lost neice Dory who enrolls in Chilton. Or everyone's favorite scenario. Recast Jessica Simpson as Rory.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself

Last edited by Raja; 10-15-2004 at 10:02 PM
Old 10-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raja
On the otherhand if Lauren Graham left the entire show would have to be re-engineered...

And if Alexis Bledel left...

Or everyone's favorite scenario. Recast Jessica Simpson as Rory.
Right, the show is "The Gilmore Girls," not Steinbeck's "The Red Pony." The plot cannot continue without the title characters, I don't care how you could try to spin that. Without Lorelai and Rory, the show would not be continued.

It is sad that LG has such a great thing with GG, and has proven so much, but it's hard to see her going anywhere. As I have said before, the bigscreen only has so much room for the Nicole Kidmans of this world.

I'm going to cherish every season of Gilmore left in the hourglass, but it will be beyond exciting for me to see what Alexis makes her of future film career, when not tied down to a demanding show's title character 9 months out of the year.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Extreme Fan

5.04 - Video Clips post on page 2 - updated
Old 10-15-2004, 11:58 PM
Supreme Fan

S5 promo pictures are up at Fanbolt. You can also check them out on the spoilers thread. They're just individual pictures of the cast members.

RORY: What'd I miss?
EMILY: I was just admiring your mother's life.
RORY: Oh, I do that daily.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Master Fan

I'll go ahead and post them here so people who are staying away from spoilers aren't tempted

Old 10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Supreme Fan

Thanks, Genbaby!

I think I've seen the ones of KA, LT, LW, MM, and SG before.

LG looks beautiful. It looks like she's not wearing a shirt, though.

Drooooool at SP. Good god, the man is hot.

AB looks gorgeous. Her makeup rocks.

RORY: What'd I miss?
EMILY: I was just admiring your mother's life.
RORY: Oh, I do that daily.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Passionate Fan

Thanks, Genevieve!

I think they all look incredibly wonderful! But I have to mention Kelly Bishop-she is so beautiful!

"Normal people make a living. The deranged make history"-Chris Titus
Closed Thread   Post New Thread