Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Extreme Fan

Leighton was so fantastic as Blair though, that's something to be proud of, not run away from. To get to play an iconic role is a dream for an actor. But it's so great she's on Broadway now too, another feather to her hat, and amazing to be performing in front of a crowd for 18 weeks!

I really want to see this, why is NY so expensive? But June or July I just have to go.

I am in a local play in May, and it makes me feel better to hear about Leighton being slightly nervous too, cos she is so talented. It gives me a boost for some reason, lol. I guess these people seem unflappable, effortlessly gorgeous and cool, and it's nice that they are relatable!!!

ETA: Did anyone here watch Father Ted? That's Jim Norton's most famous role in Ireland, he plays Bishop Len Brennan, and is hilarious. It's the best comedy series of all time.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm probably biased but I believe Leightons portrayl of Blair is what carried the show. Hopefully this play will move things forward for her though. She needs good scripts and experienced directors.
I love that Leighton is nervous, its what makes her such a real person and down to earth. Good luck with the play coconut5
Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Leigh (View Post)
I'm probably biased but I believe Leightons portrayl of Blair is what carried the show. Hopefully this play will move things forward for her though. She needs good scripts and experienced directors.
I love that Leighton is nervous, its what makes her such a real person and down to earth. Good luck with the play coconut5
Thanks girl! She absolutely carried the show, which is fantastic. Men are still the main focal points of TV and cinema, and it's great that the character of Blair and Leighton's portrayal were the talking points for the majority of the show's viewers. And she was funny too!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I completely agree with Leighton carrying the show a lot of the times

To get back on topic - I love reading reviews from people who have seen the show.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Extreme Fan

It looks like every show has sold out so far
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just saw James commenting on that. So cool.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Passionate Fan

I like how supportive the audience's reviews of her performance are so far. They recognize her potential and just want her to relax. I have to admit I was kind of surprised because I remember the reactions to a lot of Hollywood actors I follow crossing over to Broadway were a bit over-the-top so I was expecting people to be more snarky because Leighton's most known for GG, but it's such a breath of fresh air and, oddly, very mature to have the feed back that we have now even knowing what she's capable of. I'm so excited for her and her evolution as an actress. It's very rewarding being a fan.
"I hope that young women aren't looking at this and thinking, 'I should model my relationships after this,' because it was so dramatic and there was some domestic violence in there that I didn't necessarily love." -- Leighton Meester
Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Elite Fan

thanks for all the reviews, great to hear her performance is very well received
Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love to read people's tweets after they've seen the show, they're so positive about the play and very emotional.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Extreme Fan

I've just seen one negative review on the broadway board and they weren't particularly fond of Leighton's performance. However I do wonder whether the board i'm visiting may have a few theatre snobs on there. There is also the issue that people might be expecting her to play Steinbeck's version of Curley's wife when we know Anna wanted the audience to perceive the character differently.
That been said, its still one opinion against many positive ones. I do worry a little though for press night. Critics can be horrible. At least press night is around 26 shows away.

Going to throw some of those positive tweets in my post ...

Quote:
Overwhelmed by the production of-Of mice and men on Bway-Steinbeck would be proud @miceandmenbway @JamesFrancoTV @BigBoyler @itsmeleighton
Quote:
@miceandmenbway absolutely amazing show tonight! Blown away by the acting! Worth seeing again! @shanmcfitz #family #broadway
Quote:
BRAVO #MiceAndMenBway
Quote:
Wow! @JamesFrancoTV and WHOLE cast killed it @miceandmenbway . A must see #broadway #nyc

Last edited by Rachel Leigh; 03-23-2014 at 05:35 AM
Old 03-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Passionate Fan

She's an easy target if people want to be contrarian. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner
"I hope that young women aren't looking at this and thinking, 'I should model my relationships after this,' because it was so dramatic and there was some domestic violence in there that I didn't necessarily love." -- Leighton Meester
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Extreme Fan

I went crazy last night and booked my ticket for the play, a flight to New York, and a hostel. Poverty awaits for the next few months. I'm excited though, going the end of May. I'll report here.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clair carlyle (View Post)
She's an easy target if people want to be contrarian. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner
Good point! The same forum is now targeting Jame's performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut5 (View Post)
I went crazy last night and booked my ticket for the play, a flight to New York, and a hostel. Poverty awaits for the next few months. I'm excited though, going the end of May. I'll report here.
Great! I can't wait to here your review.

Apparently James Van Der Beek was in the audience last night.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Passionate Fan

I've seen more accomplished actors attacked for trivial reasons so going after an actress most known for being on a teen soap isn't original nor credible. Then again its just an opinion, it's not going to stop an obvious amazing thing that's happening for everyone involved. I had a bigger issue with that poster asking, "How was Leighton? I'm almost afraid to ask." Please.

I'm going on June, coconut5! I also want to see Bryan Cranston in ALL THE WAY.

I wonder how the politics surrounding the Tony Awards work. Would this be considered "awards bait season" like the fall/winter is for the Oscars? Haha.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

That's awesome Coconut! I can't wait to hear about it.

I was waiting for someone to complain. There are theatre snobs on that site. When she was first announced they went on about how Megan Hilty would have been a better choice. They don't even want to give her a chance.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread