Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'd be a nervous wreck Theater is a completely different medium than movies and television, she'll be relaxed about it soon.

Love that tweet.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Extreme Fan

Yeah I don't think my nerves could handle a live audience of over a thousand. I imagine she's never performed to an audience of that size before and with the added pressure of getting it right first time. I bet they are all glad they survived the first performance.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Master Fan

I'm so happy for Leighton. This is gonna be a great vehicle for her.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm glad to read some honest reviews. I've been looking for them so thanks for that. I imagine she was pretty nervous. She seems almost awed during curtain call that people are actually clapping and seemed to enjoy the show.

Christina | vote Natalie Dormer | icon
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She looks stunned almost. She'll be phenomenal when the official premiere comes around.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Passionate Fan

Leighton got a standing ovation!

From the OM&M official twitter:

Quote:
One Broadway debut (@itsmeleighton). One Tony winner (#JimNorton). One big standing O at our 1st preview last nite

Christina | vote Natalie Dormer | icon
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

How awesome is that?

I need more pics of Lei and Jim, they're so cute!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Looks like he was there to watch his wife tonight:

Quote:
Duda ‏@dudarocha13 17m
As a matter of fact, Leighton Meester was there too. And that was this close that I was from Adam Brody
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Elite Fan

i just love leighton's look, and hairstyle so much for the play
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Extreme Fan

Apparently there was a dress rehearsal on Tuesday and the audience were family and friends of the cast and crew. I imagine Adam was probably one of them

Quote:
gourgossipgirl I did see it, the 18th actually. It was AMAZING. Just wow. Idk about Chris, but James & Leigh were just fabulous

ourgossipgirl she wasn't THE main character that was James, but she was a decently big part. and she did sing
Read more at .@leightonmeesterdaily | How cute does she looks?? I'm so proud of her wow. I didn't see it but accord... | Webstagram
Sing? Does she sing then?

Last edited by Rachel Leigh; 03-21-2014 at 10:18 AM
Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Passionate Fan

Here's a little review from my friend:
Quote:
Loved it! I've only seen musicals on Broadway so this was my first play and I really enjoyed it. Chris O'Dowd was definitely the huge star and I loved his portrayal of Lenny. Him and James had good chemistry. Leighton's part was definitely smaller compared to the other two leads but she has a bigger part in the second act. I thought she did a good job bringing more complexity to the role of Curley's wife since the guys speak really low of her in the entire play. I really liked her scene with Lenny at the end (not sure if you read the book so don't want to potentially spoil anything for you in case).

Anyway, I really liked the acting and it made me more emotional than I thought. You could really pick up on the major themes like friendship and dreams like they were presented in the novel.

Anywho, after the show I went to wait by the stage doors but it was legit hysteria. I got to see Chris, James, and Leighton head into their cars but they were completely mobbed by fans.

I think you'll like it! I know people don't care for this book because of it's flaws, but I still think the major themes are what make it enjoyable. Hope I'm making sense. This is probably getting tl;dr but let me know if you want to know more about anything!
And a very excited fan on instagram:
"I hope that young women aren't looking at this and thinking, 'I should model my relationships after this,' because it was so dramatic and there was some domestic violence in there that I didn't necessarily love." -- Leighton Meester
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Elite Fan

I enjoyed reading those, thanks so much for posting!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Seems like there is more of the Today show interview according to this tweet
Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the reviews and news

I found a couple more.

Quote:
This production is easily a Tony nominee for best play. It is easily better than Machinal and All the Way, and I would have a very hard time choosing between it and Glass Menagerie. I found it to be immediately absorbing, almost entirely on the strength of Franco's emotive portrayal of George and O'Dowd's mannerisms as Lennie. I had no idea that these two actors had such presence (Franco particularly surprised me), and the mostly 20-something crowd at yesterday's Friday evening performance was completely taken in by the play's final scene (side note: I was surprised by how many seemed to have no idea how this play ends).

Franco is not just a Hollywood actor on Broadway--he's a real actor. His facial expressions were the standout for me, throughout his interactions with Lennie and the rest of the extremely good supporting cast. I mostly know O'Dowd from his comedic roles (The IT Crowd, Bridesmaids, Thor 2) but this play shows that he has serious chops as well.

As a guy though, I will admit that Leighton Meester was what got me to buy the ticket. That girl is unbelievably thin and incredibly pretty. She is fine in the role of Curley's Wife, but not at the level of Franco and O'Dowd. I get the feeling that she needs to relax a little more and let her words breathe. She's certainly not bad and she does bring a kind of haunted emptiness to her character, particularly when she is secretly observing other characters talk.

Whoever plays Curley is doing a really good job of portraying the insecure, hateful man he's supposed to be, down to his body language--well done.

After the show, the press at the stage door was 7-8 people deep, and there were definitely people outside who had not come from the play and were waiting to see Franco exit. (I didn't stick around.) The NYPD was already there and so were the black SUVs with the bodyguards to drive him away (yes, there really are black SUVs!).

To answer questions posed by others, the play is being staged in two acts. The first scene after intermission is in Crooks' shack.

Quote:
Of Mice and Men on Bway: Off the Chain | quarter-life something

It was about a month ago when I received one of those almost junky emails–you know, the ones that boast great deals on great Broadway shows you can’t afford. Well this one particular email was not junk, not in the least bit. Upon seeing the chosen cast and the fact that John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men was coming to Broadway at all, I swooned, maybe squealed like a little school girl for a bit, then purchased tickets immediately. With Tony Award winning director, Anna D. Shapiro, and a Broadway debuting cast starring James Franco, Chris O’ Dowd, and Leighton Meester, how could the show be bad, AMIRIGHT? Plus JIM NORTON. Sold. But really, you had me at James Franco.

I went in with high expectations and was not disappointed one bit. I was immediately impressed by the stage presentation and lighting. From the first moment James and Chris walk out onto the stage, you know you’re in for a treat. It’s been a long time since I’ve read the novel, but it all came back to me quickly. It then of course became nerve-wracking anticipating what was going to happen next with each line or scene. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed the show beginning to end. Hats off to the cast and their dedicated performances.

Jim Norton plays Candy and is UHH-MAZING… well, because he’s Tony Award winner Jim Norton and that was to be expected. I was just as excited to see him perform live as I was to see any of the other debuting actors/actress.

Leighton Meester is cast as Curley’s Wife, a self-absorbed, quick-tongued, despondent “floozy,” and she does just fine. I only wish I could hear her voice more loudly/clearly.

Chris O’ Dowd (Lennie) is ON POINT. You could really see how invested he is in the character, from the way he talks to the way he moves, fidgeting around, not quite aware of himself or the mighty presence/power of his body– he really, to me, exuded all that is and was Lennie Small, meanwhile providing much needed breaks of laughter from the intensity of the plot.

And Franco is nothing short of genius. It’s the little things an actor does that really bring a character to life–from the way he’d chew on those beans (you’d really think there were beans in his mouth), to how he’d humor Lennie in all his excitement, then just as quickly quash it with his temper. In regard to his Broadway debut, Franco says in an interview on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, “you feel a deeper connection to the character…you realize how deep you can go with a character… here it’s like you’re etching it.” Having seen only the second performance in front of a live audience, I can say it will no doubt only get better! Etch it James, etch it!

Whether or not you’ve read the novel, seen the old movie, studied it in high school, or whatever else, I highly highly highly recommend seeing this show. It’s a limited engagement running for only 18 weeks, so if you’re in New York and you want to nerd-out over a Steinbeck classic, or if you want to swoon or drool over Franco, O’ Dowd or Meester, get your tickets now! And here’s a bonus for you students out there–the Student Rush Policy was just announced the day before previews began, meaning:
So overall it sounds like Leighton is doing good as Curly's wife with the minor problem to just feel a little more comfortable on stage and slow down her lines. This is something no doubt can be easily ironed out before opening show in just over 3 weeks time
Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the reviews

Nerves are still playing in on her performance but she'll get there, I'm sure.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread