Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2022, 06:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

Tom Swift 1x04 Episode Discussion: "...And The Chocolate Cowboys" {6/21/22}

1x04 - "...And The Chocolate Cowboys"
Episode Discussion

An annoyed Tom (Tian Richards) goes full on dad mode
when Lino (guest star Donovin Miller) shocks his friends by stowing away in a side panel on the Swift Jet
hoping to join in on the mission to rescue his uncle Barton.
Meanwhile, Zenzi (Ashleigh Murray) persuades Tom to let her take the jet to meet up with Congressman Eskol (guest star Ward Horton)
in hopes of finding out if Stone Corp. might be planning an attack in Dallas.
Lastly, in a surprising twist Tom insists that Isaac (Marquise Vilson) accompany Zenzi to help keep her safe.

Last edited by broken crown; 06-20-2022 at 06:39 PM
broken crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

1x04 Stills:

More here at the source
Old 06-20-2022, 07:06 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the stills! The description makes it sound better than the promo that aired after the last episode made it look.
gold-steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

No problem!

Yeah the promos aren't really doing this show any favors either.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:07 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah though they aren't good for ND sometimes too. They need a new promo person.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:15 PM
Moderator Support Team

They also need a new description writer too!
Old 06-21-2022, 02:18 PM
Addicted Fan

The is a sitcom description. "An annoyed Tom goes full-on Dad mode when Lino shocks his friends by stowing away on the Swift Jet."
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy_Simba (View Post)
The is a sitcom description. "An annoyed Tom goes full-on Dad mode when Lino shocks his friends by stowing away on the Swift Jet."
Yes it is! Maybe this show should have been a sitcom!
Old 06-21-2022, 04:57 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
Yes it is! Maybe this show should have been a sitcom!
Imagine the over the top reactions every time Tom and Claire share a scene.
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:55 PM
Elite Fan

That was kind of a bad way of describing what happened between Tom and Lino I actually liked seeing them together. Lino called Tom out (rightfully, I thought) and Tom seemed like he was treating him differently by the end of the episode.

I also sooo don't trust the Congressmen. I think Zenzi's making a very questionable decision getting so close to him but she seems pretty smart Also I was totally expecting him to say his favorite classic was Catcher in the Rye;. He seems like that "bro" type to idolize Holden

I liked getting to see more of Isaac's backstory! But he's older than I thought? He was in Kabul in 2017 (or was it 2016?) when that was like 7 or 8 years ago.

This episode was way better than the promo made it look. I also liked the Black cowboys history lesson.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

Okay, so I just finished watching the episode.

I thought it was a good episode. There was some really great character work especially with Isaac and Lino, although every character had a chance to shine. Even Tom had some much-needed self reflection. I even thought the cowboy stuff was handled well and had a relatively heartwarming ending.

Still, I don't think this show has turned a corner yet. It's still not dark enough tonally, the dialogue can be a bit clunky, and they still don't treat TRB seriously enough. Maybe now that they discovered the Senator has a hit list, they will begin to take it all more seriously? And start to do research?! Maybe that's how ND will connect? I don't understand why Tom hasn't even mentioned how they came up before when he previously visited HB to find the meteorite?

The more episodes that pass without a direct crossover with ND... I wonder why they even bothered trying to connect the shows in the first place? They could have just created Tom Swift separately and just promoted it "from the creators of Nancy Drew"...but I guess they were able to make that backdoor "pilot" episode on Nancy Drew's dime.

They did mention Portland, but I'm not sure if they meant Oregon or Maine. Maybe somebody can clarify for me? If it is Portland, Maine...then that's where DetectiveCon was in ND 3x03.

ETA: Forgot to mention that while I think the Senator is shady and creepy. I don't think he's going to last. It's also weird that the Senator had all these bodyguards, but we didn't see Rowan?!

Last edited by broken crown; 06-21-2022 at 08:47 PM
broken crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Maybe now that they discovered the Senator has a hit list, they will begin to take it all more seriously?
yeah I was kind of thinking this might change things since that's kind of a big deal. Maybe that'll get them to the TRB seriously.

Quote:
hey did mention Portland, but I'm not sure if they meant Oregon or Maine. Maybe somebody can clarify for me? If it is Portland, Maine...then that's where DetectiveCon was in ND 3x03.
I'm not sure. Since they literally just said Portland with zero details I don't think its really clear. If they meant Oregon it its weird they still haven't connected the show to ND.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Does anyone remember what Justin's family does? Because maybe he'll end up on that list? Or just be collateral damage?

I'm guessing Issac is in his 30s? Or he was just in Kabul when he was much younger? Don't forget this show is from the same people who doesn't know what "age difference" means.

Quote:
Also I was totally expecting him to say his favorite classic was Catcher in the Rye
I thought maybe he's say The Iliad or The Odyssey to try to tie it back to Icarus and Greek Mythology. I laughed when Zenzi guessed "The Grapes of Wrath". Man I hated that book back in high school. The movie was just as bad. What a waste of time.

Isaac mentioned several times during the episode about "flying too close to the son". In Greek Mythology, that's how Icarus ended up falling to his death...BUT it's important to remember that Icarus's dad, Daedalus was a famous inventor who also created The Labyrinth that housed The Minotaur. In that story, after Theseus defeated the Minotaur and escaped with the King's daughter, Daedalus and his son, Icarus, were imprisoned in the Labyrinth. They used the famous wings to escape and even though his dad warned him about flying too high. Icarus didn't listen and ended up falling to his death.

Barton is currently trapped in his own "Labyrinth" and his son Tom might just "fly" too high to save him (he's also literally flying in a plane). Coincidence??
Old 06-22-2022, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Isn't Justin a lawyer? I could see that he is from a prominent black family. I think they should have just written a pilot and had it advertised as by the some creaters as... instead of as a spin off that isn't a spin off.
ds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:04 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I think they should have just written a pilot and had it advertised as by the some creaters as... instead of as a spin off that isn't a spin off.
10000000%.

I feel like they just used Nancy Drew to get the show picked up, but it has no other real connection.

I feel like if they tried harder to make the shows more compatible...they would have put them on the same night.