Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2022, 07:48 PM
Moderator Support Team

Nancy Drew's News {News/Media} #10- Mark Pedowitz did this for us!

NANCY DREW'S NEWS [NEWS/MEDIA THREAD] #10

[airs Wednesdays @ 8/7c]

Watch Season 1, 2 and 3 on HBO Max and Season 3 on The CW.

The show was renewed for Season 4 on March 22, 2022!

Season 4 Production Dates: July 19, 2022 - December 15, 2022 (FILMING HAS WRAPPED)

Season 4 will premiere Wednesday, May 31, 2023. The series finale will air on August 23, 2023.

The show will end with Season 4. Per Deadline, the decision to end the show started months ago and was finalized before Mark Pedowitz left The CW.

For spoilers/speculation, visit the Nancy Drew Spoilers & Speculations Thread.

Spin-off Tom Swift was picked up to series on August 30, 2021 and was part of the 2021-2022 season.
It started filming late January 2022 in Atlanta, GA and premiered on Tuesday, May 31, 2022.
The show was cancelled on June 30, 2022, but all episodes aired. The series is currently being shopped elsewhere.
For more discussion about the show, please visit the Tom Swift General Discussion Thread.

PREVIOUS THREAD

Last edited by broken crown; 01-13-2023 at 03:57 PM
Old 10-31-2022, 07:49 PM
Moderator Support Team

Deadline RE: Stargirl's cancellation and future of current CW programming

Quote:
The move is not a huge surprise after executives at Nexstar clearly signaled that its focus will be on retooling The CW and shifting toward unscripted content and shows that appeal to an older audience.

Historically, shows such as Riverdale, All American, Arrow and Supernatural have focused on viewers in their teens through their 30s. The reality, though, is that the average CW viewer is 58 years old.

It’s expected that more shows will come to an end after the move. Decisions are still to come on All American, which is in its fifth season; spinoff All American: Homecoming, which is in its second season; Walker, which is in its third season, Superman & Lois, which is going in to its third season; and Kung Fu, which is also in its third season. Walker: Independence and Supernatural spinoff The Winchesters are in their first season, while Two Sentence Horror Stories, which ended its third season in February, has not been renewed or canceled.
Source
Old 11-01-2022, 01:33 AM
Addicted Fan

TFTNT. That ax hasn't let up since the summer. TSHS is dead because WB/Discovery killed Stage 13 and only in development Stage 13 projects will be absorbed within the studio, so I don't why Deadline is beating around the bush. The Stargirl series finale will air December 7th. I broke the news to.my parents and they were upset. They finished filming in on March 20th 2022. Jeoff Jones said he already knew that there was a possibility that the series would not be renewed because of the sale and talks were in place. He said the now series finale will have closure.

Last edited by Muffy_Simba; 11-01-2022 at 07:44 AM
Old 11-01-2022, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Tftnt
Old 11-01-2022, 05:17 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread at the title
Old 11-01-2022, 05:45 PM
Moderator Support Team

There's way more CW News today. They just laid off a bunch of network people as well.

‘The Winchesters’ & ‘Walker: Independence’ Get No Back Orders As CW Cutbacks Continue, No Decision On Season 2

Quote:
I hear the same would apply to all CW freshman series and that the network’s head, Dennis Miller, stressed to producers and talent that no decisions about next season have been made, indicating that the lack of back orders does not mean cancellations.

Still, the decision further underlines Nexstar’s push to cut costs, including moving toward more. unscripted and cheaper scripted programming. Four CW scripted series are ending this season, The Flash, Riverdale, Nancy Drew and Stargirl. The list is expected to grow as the season progresses.

The CW Is Hit With Dozens Of Layoffs As Nexstar Plots More Frugal Course For Broadcast Network

RE: Stargirl- The difference with SG VS other shows is that S3 was part of the 2021-22 broadcast season. They wrapped S3 even before other shows got picked up for this season (22-23). I believe WB told them to wrap it up because they probably weren't going to get renewed due to the merger...as well as the growing network drama. They also apparently shot two different endings.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:12 PM
Addicted Fan

It's actually kinda funny that the new CW is behaving like a typical broadcast network. With the big four you're always worrying about cancellations, but with the business model CBS and WB used for the CW, especially their old Netflix deal. You knew your favorite shows weren't getting cancelled, compared to the big four. The money spent on Gossip Girl during its olden days is actually mentioned in the article.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:19 PM
Moderator Support Team

But at least the Big 4 value streaming. It seems like Nexstar doesn't. That's why I have to laugh at people being like...stream the episodes over and over! It's just not going to work.

Give it a few years and some of these IPs will end up being "rebooted" or "continued" on random streamers.

ETA:

The CW Floats $1M An Episode License Fee For Drama Series As Studios Wait For Clarity On New Business Model

Guess that means Walker will only be able to afford one hat?

Quote:
As part of the cost-cutting efforts, I hear Nexstar executives have been looking to restructure the agreements with the CW’s current scripted series suppliers, CBS Studios and Warner Bros. Television, floating a target license fee for drama series of $1 million dollar per episode going forward. That is significantly lower than the current license fees the CW pays for its dramas, which I hear range from low-to-mid-one million to high one million dollars/close to $2M an episode. (I hear the CW had previously employed $1M an episode license fee years ago but the network had to step up as production costs started going up and competition for talent drove actor prices up.)

I hear that idea has been met with resistance, with sources telling Deadline that it is not feasible to produce an hourlong series at that license fee, taking on additional deficit, under the current model of the CW getting first run and the studios trying to find domestic off-network and international buyers.
Quote:
Because of the CW’s carriage agreements, the network cannot make a complete 180 with a brand new programming identity, so the consensus is that it will likely keep some of the shows — at least in the short run.

“I do think they want to maintain some consistency, I think it would be very hard for them to maintain a relationship with the existing viewer base — which I would think is meaningful — if they literally shut of the lights and turn them back on as something entirely different,” an industry source said. “I would think that it is smart business to try and maintain a through-line, keep the customers you have and move them over to new programming.”

Last edited by broken crown; 11-01-2022 at 07:33 PM
Old 11-01-2022, 07:45 PM
Elite Fan

The special effects are going to start looking like a bad horror movie

I guess what that last paragraph is saying makes sense. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to completely cut all their current programming and do a 180 super quick.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:48 PM
Moderator Support Team

It totally makes sense...but I don't know what they think they're going to get with 1 million an episode? Walker costs like 3 million an episode? I'm assuming Superman and Lois costs quite a bit too. I have no idea what few shows will make it to next season. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:59 PM
Addicted Fan

I forgot about the streaming thing. What in the Tyler Perry production hell? Every episode of Superman & Lois would take place at the house. But the article is right. You cannot completely rebrand within one year. But you know that makes me smile? That hot garbage GK will most likely not make it past S1 and that looks like it was filmed in your grandparents basement! Hell, based on that. It will last many seasons!
Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
What in the Tyler Perry production hell?

Here's another interesting article with the new The CW entertainment president, Brad Schwartz. It's a fascinating interview.

Quote:
“We need to run a profitable broadcast network and it’s going to take a bit of reinvention and rethinking to create a brand with content that brings in a lot of audience, that works for the stations and can be monetized properly,” Schwartz says. “It’s an exciting new challenge. It’s a complete rethinking. All the other broadcast networks are profitable so we have to think about how to make this one profitable.”

Hollywood, of course, is skeptical. Since axing 10 shows in May, Schwartz inherits The CW’s smallest slate of U.S. scripted originals since 2012. A third of the network’s current 12 U.S. scripted shows — The Flash, Nancy Drew, Riverdale and Stargirl — are ending in the current 2022-23 season with more expected to follow. The 12 number is significant as it represents the volume of shows produced by CBS and Warners that Nexstar has agreed to air this season. (The agreement, however, does not seem to cover additional episodes though.) But what happens after that?
Quote:
“It’s not good for the creative community,” one studio source tells THR of Nexstar’s CW intentions. “The network as we know it is gone.”

Schwartz, a self-professed CW fanboy who starts Nov. 7, has “hope” that The CW will continue to be a home for originals like Walker and Superman & Lois. Both shows, along with All American and its Homecoming spinoff, Kung Fu, Gotham Knights, Walker: Independence and Supernatural prequel The Winchesters are all officially square on the bubble.

ETA:

Deadline also did an interview with the new guy.

Quote:
DEADLINE: The CW signaled a potential shift to multi-camera comedies and drama procedurals over the summer while [former chairman and CEO] Mark Pedowitz was still there. Are you going to continue that and try to go into those genres?

SCHWARTZ: I think one of the most fun times in my career was doing One Day at a Time. Gloria [Calderon Kellett] and the team there was just so fantastic, and I loved every minute of it, I loved going to the table reads. Doing multi-cam is really special, and if you get it right, you can do it at scale. So it’d be silly not to look at comedy, especially with the world in the shape it’s in right now. Comedy is a wonderful escape. So yes, we’d love to look at that.

My experience with procedurals is they can certainly be expensive. So is there a way of doing it in a way that is that is more efficient? A great example of that actually is SkyMed. A co-production between Paramount+ and CBC, it’s a medical procedural, with some 911, rescue energy to it. If you can do a procedural and figure out how to put the partnerships together to make it work, of course, that’s the type of content that works all across the country. So yes to all of it.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Addicted Fan

Made sure to signal unscripted shows like World's Funniest Animals, Who's Line Is It Anyway, and so on were 100% safe!

Old 11-03-2022, 07:17 PM
Elite Fan

Aw that's cute
Old 11-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah I guess they were filming scenes at the Courthouse. Not sure what Bess has anything to do with court though.

Last edited by broken crown; 11-03-2022 at 08:01 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread