View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 PM
broken crown
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
What in the Tyler Perry production hell?

Here's another interesting article with the new The CW entertainment president, Brad Schwartz. It's a fascinating interview.

Quote:
“We need to run a profitable broadcast network and it’s going to take a bit of reinvention and rethinking to create a brand with content that brings in a lot of audience, that works for the stations and can be monetized properly,” Schwartz says. “It’s an exciting new challenge. It’s a complete rethinking. All the other broadcast networks are profitable so we have to think about how to make this one profitable.”

Hollywood, of course, is skeptical. Since axing 10 shows in May, Schwartz inherits The CW’s smallest slate of U.S. scripted originals since 2012. A third of the network’s current 12 U.S. scripted shows — The Flash, Nancy Drew, Riverdale and Stargirl — are ending in the current 2022-23 season with more expected to follow. The 12 number is significant as it represents the volume of shows produced by CBS and Warners that Nexstar has agreed to air this season. (The agreement, however, does not seem to cover additional episodes though.) But what happens after that?
Quote:
“It’s not good for the creative community,” one studio source tells THR of Nexstar’s CW intentions. “The network as we know it is gone.”

Schwartz, a self-professed CW fanboy who starts Nov. 7, has “hope” that The CW will continue to be a home for originals like Walker and Superman & Lois. Both shows, along with All American and its Homecoming spinoff, Kung Fu, Gotham Knights, Walker: Independence and Supernatural prequel The Winchesters are all officially square on the bubble.

ETA:

Deadline also did an interview with the new guy.

Quote:
DEADLINE: The CW signaled a potential shift to multi-camera comedies and drama procedurals over the summer while [former chairman and CEO] Mark Pedowitz was still there. Are you going to continue that and try to go into those genres?

SCHWARTZ: I think one of the most fun times in my career was doing One Day at a Time. Gloria [Calderon Kellett] and the team there was just so fantastic, and I loved every minute of it, I loved going to the table reads. Doing multi-cam is really special, and if you get it right, you can do it at scale. So it’d be silly not to look at comedy, especially with the world in the shape it’s in right now. Comedy is a wonderful escape. So yes, we’d love to look at that.

My experience with procedurals is they can certainly be expensive. So is there a way of doing it in a way that is that is more efficient? A great example of that actually is SkyMed. A co-production between Paramount+ and CBC, it’s a medical procedural, with some 911, rescue energy to it. If you can do a procedural and figure out how to put the partnerships together to make it work, of course, that’s the type of content that works all across the country. So yes to all of it.