Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Being in the closet also doesn't automatically equal shame. She's been forced into the closet to maintain the life/occupation she wants

Not being able to be herself or even tell her husband the truth isn't fair on either of them. It doesn't matter if he needs to know or if it's relevant to their relationship she shouldn't feel like she can't be open & honest with the man she loves

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, we didn't say Sophie is ashamed of it. In the flashbacks, she hid it to stay in the academy and I'm sure now she is still hiding it to remain on the force. However, if that man truly loves her and if she feels comfortable with him, I don't think hiding it is good for a healthy relationship.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Absolute Fan

Jacob knows about and is supportive of Kate's orientation, so Sophie coming out wouldn't affect her employment status with the Crows.

So I honestly think she's voluntarily keeping herself closeted in the present because she's put that part of her life behind her.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, Kate is his daughter. And you couldn't say that for certain if it will or won't affect things. Because she remains "in the closet" for now as far as we know. Regardless of how a workplace may claim to be an equal opportunity employer, we know that isn't the reality.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry pretty (View Post)
I think it’ll be sad if she stays “in the closet” forever.
Yeah, it would be
Old 10-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry pretty (View Post)
Well, Kate is his daughter. And you couldn't say that for certain if it will or won't affect things. Because she remains "in the closet" for now as far as we know. Regardless of how a workplace may claim to be an equal opportunity employer, we know that isn't the reality.
Jacob is going to be aware of specifically why Kate got kicked out of Point Rock Academy, not only because he's her father, but also because he's former military himself and has enough clout and connections that he was 100% certain that he could get Kate a military desk job despite her not having completed a military education.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Graphics Team Manager

umm yeah I'm with Cece, there are no clear signs that Sophie is safe. Plus until the first ep I don't think Kate knew she had acceptance from her father so why would Sophie feel safe in her workplace? Plus some situations can scar you & keep you closeted. All of that is unhealthy

While for some a sexuality can change over time so it may be in the past yes but not always the case. Being bisexual would always be a part of her & doesn't just disappear just because she's married to a man

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Alice/Beth played on deeply buried insecurities that Kate probably had never realized she was carrying around until they were given a voice, but her behavior around her dad prior to Alice/Beth planting that seed of doubt - and her body language once he flat-out explains what his thought process was and what he thought her future would be - clearly demonstrate that their relationship was a positive one and that she had his full support to be who she is.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Kate and her dad's relationship was a positive one? Are we watching the same show? It doesn't seem that simple to me, nor did tonight's flashbacks of their scenes show a positive father and daughter relationship. I'm sure there are happier moments between them, but it seems like their relationship is complicated. I don't have a lot of comic knowledge of them, so just basing it off the show and what I've seen so far.

I'll make a Kate and Jacob thread though, because they've gotten enough scenes and much to discuss so we are back on topic here.

----

Back to Sophie.

Spoiler:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Kate & Jacob's relationship is immaterial to Sophie. Even if she thinks Jacob accepted his daughter that doesn't automatically mean that he would respond the same to her. Also in real life in some places there isn't job security so it isn't safe to come out without fear for your job

I am just going to presume that you have no idea what it is like to be bisexual or gay & feel you have to hide that. I have & it isn't a good life to live. It made me mentally & physically sick as it felt like I was living a lie simply by hiding part of who I was & I was living in fear of how people would react to me if they knew the truth. I am fortunate enough to live somewhere which have laws in place preventing me from being fired but that doesn't erase the fact that I know for some if they found out their child's teacher is bisexual they would suddenly hate me & want me nowhere near their child. So long as there is hate in the world the LGBT community must live with some fears. Some can never come out of the closet or live an honest life which is terrible. I would hate that even for a fictional character.

At this point I think we need to agree to disagree as you're pushing the conversation into more than it was. All it was was an opinion that Sophie hopefully one day can live openly for Sophie's sake & health. It has nothing to do with any other character or the possibility of a Kate/Sophie relationship

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Will the real Sophie Moore please stand up.

New episode tonight. Tune in on the CW 🖤#batwoman •

Fun fact: @rochelle_okoye was my stunt double back on #UnReal and here we are again for Batwoman. On set they often confuse us from behind or even from the side because we look so similar once suited up. But once they call action and this professional fighter starts swinging, you know EXACTLY which “Sophie” is out there 💪🏽So thankful for this pairing once again but mostly thankful for this friendship. This girl is bad.ass. Love you Ro. #Mochelle
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)
Kate & Jacob's relationship is immaterial to Sophie. Even if she thinks Jacob accepted his daughter that doesn't automatically mean that he would respond the same to her. Also in real life in some places there isn't job security so it isn't safe to come out without fear for your job

I am just going to presume that you have no idea what it is like to be bisexual or gay & feel you have to hide that. I have & it isn't a good life to live. It made me mentally & physically sick as it felt like I was living a lie simply by hiding part of who I was. I am fortunate enough to live somewhere which have laws in place preventing me from being fired but that doesn't erase the fact that I know for some if they found out their child's teacher is bisexual they would suddenly hate me & want me nowhere near their child. So long as there is hate in the world the LGBT community must live with some fears. Some can never come out of the closet or live an honest life which is terrible. I would hate that even for a fictional character.

At this point I think we need to agree to disagree as you're pushing the conversation into more than it was. All it was was an opinion that Sophie hopefully one day can live openly for Sophie's sake & health. It has nothing to do with any other character or the possibility of a Kate/Sophie relationship
I don't think the show has shown us that Sophie is conflicted about her sexuality; yes, she's clearly in the closet, but I don't think she's remained closeted for negative reasons.

That was only ever my point in bringing up Jacob and Kate's relationship in relation to her, and did not mean to give the impression that I was trying to be confrontational or derogatory in any way.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Your posts aren't derogatory, however you are missing the point. It was simply said that it would be sad if she had to stay in the closet which it would be. That statement has nothing to do with any other character or relationship on the show (although her relationship with her husband is part of why it'd be sad for her to be in the closet with him), & you're allowed to disagree with that which is fine . We're all going to have different opinions viewing the episodes, & our own personal experiences are going to influence how we view things & feel about certain situations

Quote:
I don't think the show has shown us that Sophie is conflicted about her sexuality
I never said she was conflicted about her sexuality, just that she is living in the closet. I disagree with you over it being for negative reasons as the show has shown plenty of reasons for her to be in the closet for negative reasons simply in the one episode I've watched so far. Some of the negativity can also remain fictional/all in one's head simply because of the fear of not knowing what will happen if the truth comes out. But maybe you're right, & she's just choosing to be in the closet, but that seems highly unlikely to me based on the evidence presented to me. Of course I'm also jumping to the conclusion that she's bisexual & may also be wrong about that, never know

As I said before, it is best to agree to disagree on this subject.

Thanks for that pic. Wow they really do look alike

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

They sure do
Old 10-13-2019, 11:45 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I doubt that many get that lucky with their stunt double but not surprised they've worked together before. They should just work together all the time as perfect match there

Chelle » join GTmy art