Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Thanks, Jessie. I'll leave it topped, then, because it will be easily noted in case of updates.
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
-Supersonic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What did you like about the competition? It's nice seeing all these people participating in something fun and a bit different.

What do you think can be changed about it? Maybe clarifying the rules

Did you submit an art? No
- If not, why? What could we have done differently to get you to submit one? (IE; Longer time etc..) I'm not good at art, but even so I may have thrown my hand in if my computer hadn't died.

If we had this competition again next year, would you participate? Possibly, if the board is as quiet as it was this year.

Anything else? Nope.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Lost in Translation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Elite Fan

What did you like about the competition? Interesting wallpapers, plus it's the first time I tried to make a wallpaper other than the cut and paste. Also, the competition I had with other posters was fun.

What do you think can be changed about it? The number of days of voting could be a week rather than four days. Or that you might want to set the deadline a little earlier.

Did you submit an art? Yup
- If yes, did you think the process and restrictions were difficult to work with? Eh...not really. Only (slight) problem for me was having to put the title and board it came from since I had to figure out how to pull that off without ruining the atmosphere of the wallpaper. But it's understandable because posters would get confused on where exactly the wallpaper originated from.

If we had this competition again next year, would you participate? Sure.

Anything else? How much do I get paid for this survey?
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

What did you like about the competition?
Everything And I liked that everyboard was able to participate

What do you think can be changed about it?
not that much. Maybe not calling the thumbnail a thumbnail

Did you submit an art?
Yes, I did. And no, the problems I had where just because I am a little confused There is nothing I think that made it difficult for me from your side

If we had this competition again next year, would you participate?
Of course I would

Anything else?
Thanks for organising that It was quite fun and I only know people who love it
looking at the stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked seeing all the art. We have some tremendously talented people on !!!

Congrats, people. You all rock!

I couldn't see some of the nominated samples, so I might have voted for something, but I didn't get to see it.

Did you submit an art?

No.

If not, why? What could we have done differently to get you to submit one?

I can't do art. So, unless I learn how to, I don't see how there's anything anyone can do to get me to submit anything.

Again, unlikely.

Anything else?

Is it just me or do people seem to be voting based on their favourites rather than on the artistic appreciation of the pieces? Or was that the idea and I missed the boat?
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:53 AM
Loyal Fan

Pretty much the same things I liked last year.
I still think that there should more/different categories. Right now it's like a lot of people just vote for their favorite fandom/celebrities, not the best art and the way I see it a ArtCompetition should always be about how good an art is and not about me liking the celebrity on it or not.
categories like "Best use of texture" aso. might help with that, at least a bit.
Did you submit an art?
- If yes, did you think the process and restrictions were difficult to work with?

Not at all
absolutly
Anything else?
Thanks for organizing this competition again! It's so much fun and I really hope there's going to be another one next year!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I still think that there should more/different categories. Right now it's like a lot of people just vote for their favorite fandom/celebrities, not the best art and the way I see it a ArtCompetition should always be about how good an art is and not about me liking the celebrity on it or not.
categories like "Best use of texture" aso. might help with that, at least a bit.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this. I was afraid to say it myself.
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad to see that a few people have highlighted the fact that some arts may be voted on due to fandom preferences.

I like the idea about having a category for best use of textures and stuff like that, but someone would maybe need to tell me what that is so i vote on that and not if they used the colour blue the most
Chase.This.Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Karen* (View Post)
I'm glad to see that a few people have highlighted the fact that some arts may be voted on due to fandom preferences.
In the final polls, we deliberately didn't include the name of the board in the option list along with the art to try and help with this. Also, the arts weren't in a particular order. Still, the arts do have the board names included, and people remember which individual board they came from, so ... it's difficult. The other thing is that the most popular fandoms do tend to have more people who visit regularly.

Maybe if we let people vote for 2 or 3 choices, they'd go beyond their own personal fandom preferences.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
In the final polls, we deliberately didn't include the name of the board in the option list along with the art to try and help with this. Also, the arts weren't in a particular order. Still, the arts do have the board names included, and people remember which individual board they came from, so ... it's difficult. The other thing is that the most popular fandoms do tend to have more people who visit regularly.
even without the name of the board or a particular order it's obvious what fandom/celebrity it shows. so that's not really doing anything.
as for the number of people - that's exactly the point - it shouldn't matter.

the thing is, even if I don't like the fandom, i can tell a good art from a bad art. That's how I voted. I took a look at all arts, compared them and settled for the one that was done best.
I know that it is impossible to force people to vote like that.
It's just if you ask them to vote their favorite celebrity art it's easy to settle for the celebrity they like the most.
If you ask for the best coloring, best use of texture, best use/choice of text, best blend, best "cut-out-picture" ... (maybe explain in the voting what exactly those points mean) it might be different.

Quote:
Maybe if we let people vote for 2 or 3 choices, they'd go beyond their own personal fandom preferences.
I got to say that I'd like that one, too.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Master Fan

I loved seeing the different entries for each board. They're all great

See comments below.

Did you submit an art?
Yes, & I dont think the process is too difficult, its very organized & informative and people were very helpful.

Probably.

Quote:
the thing is, even if I don't like the fandom, i can tell a good art from a bad art. That's how I voted. I took a look at all arts, compared them and settled for the one that was done best.
I know that it is impossible to force people to vote like that.
It's just if you ask them to vote their favorite celebrity art it's easy to settle for the celebrity they like the most.
If you ask for the best coloring, best use of texture, best use/choice of text, best blend, best "cut-out-picture" ... (maybe explain in the voting what exactly those points mean) it might be different.
ITA. In our situation now, the art with the biggest fandom in will win.

Quote:
That would be better
Sugarfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Graphics Team Manager
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
ITA. I know you can't control it, but i think it's stupid that people vote for their favourite star and not necceseraly the best art in their opinion
KATE. | icon
me and the sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Total Fan

It gets us in the Holiday Spirits and we can see so many beautiful arts from different people. Also, it was good practice for me! And I liked that we could vote on all boards.

I like the idea of the Graphic Team Members having a higher vote, as someone already mentionned. And voting more on the art itself than the artist/tv show in it...

Did you submit an art?
Yes, I submitted two And it was really easy and the mods and graphic team members were really helpful!

yeah, probably, if i'm feeling inspired

Anything else?
This is a great idea! Thank you for organizing it, it must be a lot of work.
Daph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like the idea of having so many votes once each winner has been picked from the individual boards. Does it have to be only 2 or 3 votes though

It's funny. One would expect the Sci-Fi/Fantasy vote to have been one of the easiest as there were only 3 arts in the final round. But I kept changing which i was voting for, so much so that i no longer know which i voted for.
Chase.This.Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Elite Fan

Hey guys!

Sorry for the hold up on the announcement of the winners! The polls have determined which arts have won in the 7 categories, but as per thoughts from the feedback thread, we are going to have other category winners as well. Its too late to open the polls for all of fanforum to vote though so I am asking for your patience while the GT and FA mods and Admins nominate and vote on those other categories.

Please let me know if you have any questions. All the winners should be up within a few days. Thanks for your cooperation and patience!
4N6 DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread