Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serein (View Post)
She definitely has issues, in a way that makes her more real. Any millennial can relate to her struggle with finding a stable job/pursuing dream career, searching for validation, acceptance and love.
I had a hard time relating to her because her life seemed so unrealistic. Her apartment was huge. I remember her mentioning she got housing because of her position at the university but it just seemed unrealistically big. When I picture a struggling poet student, I envision a small, crammed room. And her lifestyle didn't seem to fit that narrative either and then it turned out she was receiving money from her dad.

Quote:
I think book beck might be a little spoiled for not liking her apartment cause it's a nice one.
Wait, what?

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Wait are we talking about the show or the book? Her apartment on the show is huge? I guess I haven't really paid attention. To me it seemed she was struggling, she couldn't afford new clothes. She spends her money on things that help her put on a certain image. Like a really expensive gift her friend's birthday yet her own top has a hole in it.

It must be a psychological issue. I have a friend just like that She tends to spend a lot when when she socializes like dinners at fancy restaurants, drinks, trips etc, but then when it comes to paying the bills and other crucial stuff she would struggle so hard. I thought Beck is the same. She doesn't have her priorities straight because it is all about keeping up the appearances.

Edit: I think the book part is not so much about her place being so small but rather relatively small since she is used to living in a big house that has a big yard so she never had to use blinds before or something.

Last edited by Serein; 01-18-2019 at 02:17 PM
Old 01-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I mean huge for a struggling poet student. And they are in New York, it just seemed unrealistic to me. Unless that's what you get as a student in NY. It's different here, any student would be lucky to get such a spacious apartment.

Oh I have such a friend too. Beck was all about the appearances. It's common for people to do that but we know her dad gave her money, so I thought Beck wasn't really the struggling student she wanted to appear as. I don't know if that makes sense? To me struggling means you actually struggle and don't have any safety net in the form of your parents sending you money.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ ITA.

I'm an actress and I haven't had a stable paycheck for years now but I have my mom to back me up whenever I need. I might not get the same paycheck every month but I can sleep just fine knowing that if I can't make my rent, my mom will absolutely cover for me. So when Beck's dad showed up alive and well, paying for new bed and sending her money for clothes I'm like... girl? Why do you act like you're on the verge of being homeless? Struggling New Yorkers on TV never quite look like struggling New Yorkers in real life, that's for sure I understand that's not appealing to have a bunch of scenes on a tiny, ugly apartament but with Beck's I feel like they didn't even try to make it seem like she's broke. It's a perfectly sized apartment for one person, not to mention her street didn't look bad at all.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

Oh I see what you mean now. Yeah when you put it that way she is "struggling", her dad is paying for stuff. Poor Beck.

It is still a TV show, so I accept it. These aspects are usually not so realistic.

She still depends on her father with whom she has a rocky relationship. That must suck, not having a clear path in life, not a decent paying job, so you just hope to pursue graduate school just so you can buy time meanwhile. Maybe not financially, but these issues I can see how many young people deal with.

The NY flat-financials part I agree now though. It is not very realistic.

Edit: Now that you think about it, your parents must be rich and support you when you don't have a decent job and live in NY AND put yourself through gradschool.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I feel like when it came to the show I could overlook pretty much everything except the lack of blinds on a ground floor apartment facing the street. That will never make sense to me no matter how they slice it
Old 01-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think her apartment was in the West Village which is a nice neighborhood, right?

Quote:
So when Beck's dad showed up alive and well, paying for new bed and sending her money for clothes I'm like... girl? Why do you act like you're on the verge of being homeless?
Exactly.

It's not like this issue is keeping me up at night but it's something I always pay attention to because people who act like that irl are one of my biggest pet peeves.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah it doesn't make sense no matter how they try to explain it. I try to accept it's thought as a metaphor on how people treat privacy on social media. Like you can set everything to private, but if you share your everything everyday on instagram stories you do want to be seen.

But honestly, it is not that deep they just wanted to use it as a plotdevice so Joe can peek.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, they wanted to make his job easier.

And I agree, Beck wanted to be seen, at least she wanted people to see the version of her she thought was best.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah it's a tv show and I am used to seeing people having nice apartments in New York. Who are not millionaires,.I am just glad on the show she didn't complain about her apartment. I do feel for her I do sometimes spend to much friends lol and I have started school again and it is hard.
I guess I'll go with metaphor with the blinds
Old 01-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with all your points.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Yeah it's a tv show and I am used to seeing people having nice apartments in New York. Who are not millionaires,.I am just glad on the show she didn't complain about her apartment. I do feel for her I do sometimes spend to much friends lol and I have started school again and it is hard.
I guess I'll go with metaphor with the blinds
I also feel because of her 'friends', like Peach, who annoyed the crap out of me, she felt she had to appear 'richer' than she was?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I definitely felt that vibe. She needed to fit in I suppose.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And even though she was low on funds, it was a way for Peach to hold onto her too, because she wasn't telling anyone she was getting money from her father, and how the 'gifts' she gave were half off or she had a coupon etc.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Definitely