Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well on ppl she was the villain but later became a grey character. She was one of my faves.

Yeah I was confused why the other letters were not mentioned much but then I realized their sequels.

Yeah llj did not owe Gen anything they were twelve it was a game.

Last edited by fox24; 09-13-2018 at 07:44 PM
Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Kenny's letter isn't going to be brought up but yes, John Ambrose McClaren will be a big part of the sequel IMO, if it happens.

As an Asian, I'm seriously so pleased to see this :

And I love that critics/fans have pointed out how realistic/subtly beautiful the movie portrays a family's grief and how it plays out in various ways:

Quote:
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a love story. It is also one about grief and moving forward, acknowledging how loss affects people and the walls we build to seemingly protect ourselves, to keep things in and people out in fear of reliving that heartbreak. Lara Jean might have to come to terms with what happens when all the boys she’s had crushes on find out her feelings. But we also get to watch as a teen who has been through tragedy work through her unresolved feelings, and become a little closer to her mother in the process.

For many bereaved families, having to say goodbye to a parent early on manifests differently for everyone. In Margot’s case, she feels compelled to listen to her mother’s advice that she not be tied down with a boyfriend when she heads to college, leading her to break up with Josh before departing for a university in Scotland. Even if it’s a promise that she made years ago, it’s something that Margot can do to honor the memory of her mother. It’s fairly different for youngest sister Kitty, since she was young when their mother died. In fact, she’s the one from whom audiences learn about their family dynamic, when she makes a quick aside at the beginning of the movie that she was eating mushed peas when Mrs. Covey passed away — a comment that breaks the ice and shows that the youngest Covey sister feels comfortable talking about her mom in a humorous way. While the three sisters all have different connections to their mother’s passing, it’s also what makes their relationship so strong. After having lost family, they know how important family is. They’ve grown closer together from taking care of their father together, bonding them in something beyond sisterhood alone.
Entire article

Quote:
In the opening minutes of the film, Lara Jean’s father struggles to cook the same Korean recipes that her late mother use to make on the regular. “I hate it when dad makes Korean food, it always tastes like butt,” complains her youngest sister Kitty. “I was still eating smushed peas when mum died.” As well as carefully handling the ways in which we borrow traditions from one another to connect, it’s a touching moment that perfectly encapsulates the difficult-to-navigate thorniness that is mourning for a lost parent.

Again and again this is a film concerned with revisiting loves from the past – usually romantic ones. When Lara Jean wrote her love letters, she was writing them to idealised, half-fictional versions to the real people they were addressed to. However, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is also addressed to Lara Jean’s mother, one of the biggest and most influential figures from her life.

For anybody who has ever lost a parent, the clumsy exchanges that pepper To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before will be all too familiar. In one such scene, when Lara Jean goes for dinner with Peter Kavinsky’s mum, she navigates a conversation about her family as the entire room freezes and turns the hue of a very ruddy looking beetroot. “Your mum must love having girls,” Peter’s mum says brightly as her son sideeyes her angrily. The ensuing slow-blink after she’s reminded that Lara Jean’s mother has died, followed by the immediate embarrassed apology, rings true to life.. After I lost my mum in my mid-20s, I felt like I had been signed up to a bleakly-named fictional society called the Dead Parents Club against my will. When you’re in this unlucky club, chatting with new acquaintances about the subject of family suddenly feels like treading on hundreds and thousands of very apologetic eggshells, with the usual scripts of small talk taken away. Nobody in life, it seems, really knows how to talk about death without being sorry.

“Actually, she did love having girls,” Lara Jean replies after an uncomfortable silence. You can see relief wash over Peter’s mum’s entire face. After dinner, when Peter apologises for a second time – honestly, when you’ve lost a parent people apologise to you, a hell of a lot – Lara Jean articulates complicated feelings that usually don’t find a place in lighthearted rom-coms. Telling Peter about the sudden flashes of guilt she experiences while washing up or doing her homework, she adds “honestly, it’s nice talking about her like it’s normal, like it’s not some tragedy”. It’s one of the key moments of the film that glues the initially unlikely pair together.

It’s honestly refreshing to discover a rom-com that delves into permanent loss; the sad and darker consequence of love that we rarely speak about. “The more people that you let into your life, the more people there are that can just walk right out,” Lara Jean tells Peter, speaking about her letters, but also her mother. Over the film, as she gradually opens up, we also see her begin to heal.
Entire article

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit

Last edited by destroyer of worlds; 09-16-2018 at 01:25 AM
Old 09-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Moderator Support Team

JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE, ABC
Fr 9/21:
Noah Centineo

Last edited by My Kind Of Crazy; 09-15-2018 at 05:47 PM
Old 09-16-2018, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that. I love their friendship but people seriously need to stop speculating about the nature of their relationship ... honestly, I feel bad for Lana's boyfriend. Media outlets keep asking Lana AND Noah in interviews and it makes me uncomfortable, when they're fully aware that she's in a relationship right now. And her boyfriend's IG account is now private because fans were leaving bad messages on his pictures and he wasn't happy about them (understandably).

People just get caught up in RL shipping and disrespect the actors' RL other halves and it isn't right. /end rant. Sorry, just had to say that.

Quote:
Noah confirmed to Metro that while a TATBILB sequel has yet to be green-lighted, he'll be ready to jump right back into Peter's shoes when that inevitably happens. "I haven't heard anything, all I know is that everyone involved wants there to be a sequel. I absolutely want a sequel! I'm under that universe," he said. "Maybe Peter can fall from the pedestal? Maybe he can change into not-so-good of a guy? Maybe we can show the dimensions to different people: how we can be heroes in one moment and villains in another?" Look, Noah, multifaceted and complex fictional characters are nice and all, but if we have to watch Peter let another of Lara Jean's scrunchies be stolen away without putting up much of a fight, I may have to cancel my Netflix account.
Though there are no plans yet for a second film, it's not for a lack of trying on the part of TATBILB stans. Not long after the movie arrived on the streaming platform and captured the hearts of fans all over the world, one particularly dedicated viewer set up a petition calling for a sequel; after all, Jenny Han wrote a total of three books about Peter, Lara Jean, and company, so it only makes sense for Netflix to make three movies about them, too.
Entire article

Seriously though, where is that sequel announcement??

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 09-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for sharing

I want that announcement now dang it!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Moderator Support Team

yeah i cant believe they havent announced one yet. we need a sequel NOW!!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

They better do it soon!

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Moderator Support Team

maybe when noah goes on kimmel he will
Old 09-17-2018, 12:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

When is he going to be on Kimmel's show?

Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

He'll be on Jimmy Kimmel this Friday. And yes, hopefully we get that announcement soon!

I agree with this (and Lana liked the post too) ... they were both amazing in this movie so it makes me sad that Lana's being overlooked for her endearing portrayal of LJ. As much as Noah made the movie, it still wouldn't be as relatable if the role had went to someone else and she's fully the heart and soul of the movie, IMO:

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Moderator Support Team

Old 09-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the news girls
Old 09-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

I ordered the first book, it arrived today, going to start tomorrow.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks, Jen!

Enjoy the book, Paulina.

A few more article links:

‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’: 5 things I loved about the movie as a book fan
Why ‘To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’ is a 90s romcom for a modern era
Why fake dating is a great romantic trope, explained by To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks. I'll report back once I'm finished.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread