Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Part-Time Fan

This was DEFINITELY a good pilot episode!

What I loved about it the most was the family dynamic. The strength that they pull from one another; just so refreshing to see.

Unlike other superhero shows, this one kept the realism of peoples action REAL. It's in stark contrast to the other CW shows, & I like that. The racism that Jefferson experienced: all TOO real. How his daughters were treated by The 100: all TOO real. Except for the superhero action, I thought I was watching a full fledged drama, & I like that. It didn't feel as sci-fi, or cheesy, or OTT like some other shows (even though I like The Flash's cheesiness at times). Perhaps it may be a bit TOO gritty, but I think we need to get our head out of the clouds at times & face a hard dose of reality.

Solid ep & I'm looking forward to more.
Popcorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

really enjoyed this pilot episode a lot. i liked the darker crime vibe and strong family values
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Master Fan

The first episode was very promising! I liked it a lot.

Archie Andrews &Veronica Lodge
~Riverdale~
icon:Alexa|
Name:Marah
Rickylious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I finally watched this episode yesterday. It was good. I will point out that it should by now be more difficult to walk into a school with a gun, but of course they probably don't have metal detectors.

Also, the name ''Jefferson Pierce'' is interesting to me because it's not often I know of where people have the first & last names of U.S. President's last names. It would've been too much of a coincidence if the main characters name would've been ''Jefferson Obama'', so I guess this works fine instead. Pretty fun episode. lots excitement.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

The episode is going to be available on Netflix today, it's already 8:50 am for me but not available yet. Hopefully it'll be available by the time I'm home tonight.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Hope its available for you soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Also, the name ''Jefferson Pierce'' is interesting to me because it's not often I know of where people have the first & last names of U.S. President's last names. It would've been too much of a coincidence if the main characters name would've been ''Jefferson Obama'', so I guess this works fine instead.
Well his name wouldn't have had Obama in it since he's too soon. The Black Lightning comics have been around since 1977. But otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if when they originally gave the name Jefferson Pierce to the character in the comics they got the names from the president names.

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Interesting I've yet to read the comics, though characters & names do get changed generally when they're being portrayed in TV shows & films, but it's nice of course if this is staying more true to original source.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great first episode. I think this show will be one of the strongest on the network.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Interesting I've yet to read the comics, though characters & names do get changed generally when they're being portrayed in TV shows & films, but it's nice of course if this is staying more true to original source.
I haven't read them either so not sure when exactly in the comics his name was first used, but yeah they're keeping the name true to the original source. At least from what I've looked at they seem to be keeping a few things true to the comics which is nice to see but don't know how right I am or how long that'll last

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Finally watched the Pilot. Loved it, one of the best Pilots I've ever watched.

I loved the family dynamic, it's so great to see such a loving and healthy fmaily, divorced parents who aren't petty and just care about their daughters and each other.

Quote:
Unlike other superhero shows, this one kept the realism of peoples action REAL. It's in stark contrast to the other CW shows, & I like that. The racism that Jefferson experienced: all TOO real. How his daughters were treated by The 100: all TOO real. Except for the superhero action, I thought I was watching a full fledged drama, & I like that. It didn't feel as sci-fi, or cheesy, or OTT like some other shows (even though I like The Flash's cheesiness at times). Perhaps it may be a bit TOO gritty, but I think we need to get our head out of the clouds at times & face a hard dose of reality.
I loved how realistic it was. It was a bit more violent and gritty than what we're used to from other CW superhero shows but it works. Even some of the excessive use of his powers, the innocent bystanders that got in the way seemed fitting because he didn't use his powers for 9 years, so it's bound to be a bit out of control and they took his daughters.

The way they portrayed the school and different approaches to community/education/shaping young minds was also great and realistic.

Annisa is probably going to be my favourite, the way she flipped that boy.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)

Annisa is probably going to be my favourite, the way she flipped that boy.
that was so awesome.
icon by
Impossible Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

I watched the pilot on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. I like that this show is different from other superhero shows, it feels more realistic and it's interesting that Jefferson has a family.

I'm looking forward to the next episode
broken melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Yes. fantastic that Netflix has ''Black Lightning'' available to watch & I think after re-watching this Pilot, it was 1 of the better ones to a show that I've seen. Now the racism was inexplicable, but I think Black Lightning sure did get revenge on those cops.

A somewhat funny quote I came across I think was in this episode or it might have been in 1x02 was when Lala said to Jenn: ''I'm talking sweetheart. Just stand there and be cute.'' Now once this Pilot aired I will point out that some thought it was the best Pilot in the DC Universe to that point. Another thing I noticed was a student dropping a bag of what appeared to be weed in front of Jeff & Jeff saw, but didn't say anything to him.
Reply   Post New Thread