Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Fan

I'm really looking forward to seeing Italy and Australia too. Of course USA.
Ships: Dylan/Kelly, Spike/Buffy, Angel/Buffy, Damon/Elena, Cullen/Lily, James Bond/Vesper Lynd, Captain Hook/Emma Swan, Tony Stark/Pepper Potts, Dante/Lulu, Danny/Michelle, Tony/Marah, Sonny/Claudia, Danny/Samantha, Tyler/Caroline, Tuck/Lauren, Rafe/Sami, Batman/Catwoman
DefLeppardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
MST Manager

Yup, me too.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Elite Fan

Bumping back up for the World Championships.

Vicky
Brucas4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for bumping it back up.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

Swimming's back Lots of WRs on day one.
Alaric20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Phelps makes golden start in Rome

Michael Phelps's world championship campaign got off to a winning start on Sunday as his USA team took gold in the men's 4x100m relay. Phelps, who won eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, swam the team's slowest leg as they beat Russia and France in a time of 3:09.21.

The Americans were third after Phelps's first leg, before he handed over to Ryan Lochte. But Matt Grevers and Nathan Adrian helped them pull off a famous win.

Phleps has endured an eventful year since his Beijing heroics, suffering from injury and non-sporting related problems, most notoriously when he was photographed apparently smoking drugs. The 24-year-old apologised for his behaviour but was banned for three months by USA Swimming, and lost a sponsorship deal in the aftermath of the affair. Since then he has been plagued by a neck injury that forced him to withdraw from the 100m freestyle at the US trials.

And the American revealed he is still suffering from the injury and dismissed claims from defending 100m champion Filippo Magnini's he had "ducked" out of the trials. "It was never an excuse as it was stated in the paper by one of the athletes," added Phelps. "I actually wanted to swim that race."

Phelps pondered his future during the last year, wondering whether to quit swimming. But Phelps chose to continue and has taken the decision to dedicate himself to the pool through to the London 2012 Olympics.

As well as three relays, Phelps will also compete in the 100m and 200m butterfly and the 200m freestyle as he looks to add to his pre-Rome tally of 20 world championship medals, 17 of them gold.

And despite his recent absence from the international circuit, Phelps is looking forward to his return to action. "I always want to win," he said. "If I have the race I want to have and someone swims faster than me then so be it. When I come into a meet I have things I want to achieve and that is all I think about."

Meanwhile, Phelps welcomed proposed changes to swimsuit rules after a number of record fell on Sunday. World swimming governing body Fina has decided to ban controversial non-textile swimsuits from 2010, with all-textile suits and traditional briefs for men making a comeback. "Swimming will actually become swimming again. We're all going to have the same exact suit. It's not going be an issue," said Phelps. "It's not going to be a question of what suit we're wearing, who's wearing what. We'll see what happens over the next few months. I'm excited to see what's going to happen for the future of the sport."
Source: BBC

Quote:
Jackson and Adlington win medals

Jo Jackson and Rebecca Adlington won silver and bronze in the 400m freestyle at the World Championships as Federica Pellegrini won in a world-record time. The Italian became the first woman to break the four minute barrier, winning in a time of three minutes 59.15 secs. Jackson's time of 4:00.60 was a British record while Adlington clocked 4:00.79.

Adlington admitted to being in tears after only qualifying for the final eighth fastest and said she was "ecstatic" with her bronze medal. "We've got PBs (personal bests). It's a very different environment, getting used to the heat. We are back to morning heats and evening finals," said the double Olympic gold medallist. "It's very different this time and obviously on home ground she has got all that crowd cheering for Federica, it's definitely her night. "It's definitely something I'm going to remember for the rest of my life. And in London (in 2012) that will be our crowd."

Jackson too was proud of the way she had given the world's best a run for her money. "That last length I gave it everything. I tried to keep up with her. She just had so much more strength on that back 50," she said. "It was a personal best for me and it is one better than last year, which I have got to be happy with. Obviously I would love to break that four-minute mark but it wasn't meant to be, but I've got to be happy with that."

There was another world record set in the women's 4x100m freestyle relay, as the Dutch team won in a time of 3.31.72, almost two seconds faster than the previous world best. Germany were second, with Britta Steffen breaking her own individual world record of 52.22 secs while swimming the first leg. Australia finished third, with Great Britain's team of Fran Halsall, Caitlin McClatchey, Katherine Wyld and Amy Smith seventh in a new British record time of 3.36.99.

The British men's 4x100m freestyle team - Adam Brown, Simon Burnett, Liam Tancock and Ross Davenport - also came seventh in their final, which was won by the USA, ahead of Russia and France.

In the men's 400m freestyle individual event, David Davies came eighth, with Paul Biedermann breaking Ian Thorpe's seven-year-old world record as he won in a time of 3:40.07.

Vicky
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM
MST Manager

Sweet!

Glad Phelps is starting off good already. Yay for the team!

Thanks for the news.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Elite Fan

No problem. Some more from yesterday. Sorry that some of it is more UK focused.

Quote:
Five more records tumble in Rome

Five more world records fell on the second day of the swimming competition at the World Championships in Rome. Sarah Sjostrom (100m butterfly), Ariana Kukors (200m IM), Rebecca Soni (100m breaststroke) and Anastasia Zueva (100m backstroke) all set new marks. And in the men's events, Australia's Brenton Rickard smashed the previous 100m breaststroke record to win gold.

Britain's Hannah Miley finished sixth in the 200m individual medley, with her favoured 400m IM to come. "I am just over the moon with that," she said. "It's my first final having done semi-final and heats in a senior international meet for the 200 IM."

Three of her compatriots will have a good chance of adding to Britain's tally of four medals at this year's championships in two of Tuesday's five finals. Gemma Spofforth and Lizzie Simmonds qualified for the final of the women's 100m backstroke following impressive swims. Spofforth, 21, was second fastest overall in a time of 58.74 seconds but will have a fight to win gold after Russia's Zueva set a new world record of 58.48, shattering Zimbabwean Kirsty Coventry's previous mark of 58.77.

Simmonds, 19, set a time of 59.55 to finish joint seventh fastest. "I'm pleased with how it went from a centre lane," she told BBC Sport. "I'm enjoying being here, having such a great time and I'm swimming well."

Loughborough swimmer Liam Tancock made the men's 100m backstroke final after coming eighth fastest overall. Tancock set a time of 53.12 to finish third in his semi-final ahead of world record holder, American Aaron Peirsol, who surprisingly missed out.

The highlight of the night was arguably 15-year-old Sjostrom's performance in the 100m fly. The Swedish sensation had already set a new mark of 56.44 in Sunday's semi-finals but obliterated that with a time of 56.06 in the final. It was all the more impressive because the teenager was down in seventh at one stage. "I don't know what is happening right now," she said. "It's unbelievable. This is my best year but I have many years in front of me. I can do better."

Just as outstanding was American Soni's world record time of one minute 4.84 seconds in the 100m breaststroke semi-final, which broke Australian Leisel Jones' two-year-old record of 1:05.09.

And in the last race of a memorable night in balmy Rome, Kukors edged out Olympic champion Stephanie Rice to win gold and set her second world record in two days - the 11th overall of the championships. The American touched home in 2:06.15 to surpass the mark of 2:07.03 she set in beating Rice in Sunday's semi-finals.

In the men's events, Australia's Rickard produced one of the widest smiles of the night after he sped to 58.58 to win the 100m breaststroke, trumping Japan's Kosuke Kitajima's previous mark of 58.91. In the other men's final, Serbia's Milorad Cavic was the shock winner of the 50m butterfly, with world record holder Rafael Munoz taking bronze.

Meanwhile, eight-time Beijing Games gold medallist Michael Phelps stayed on course for his second gold of the championships, finishing third fastest in the semi-finals of the 400m freestyle.

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 05-12-2010 at 01:14 PM
Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Fan

I'm yet hooked again watching these World Championships. I just wished I got Universal Sports channel so I could see it the whole 2 weeks instead of watching NBC on weekends. Are there any pictures of the Italian men's team? I also wished the Opening Ceremony would have been broadcasted.
Ships: Dylan/Kelly, Spike/Buffy, Angel/Buffy, Damon/Elena, Cullen/Lily, James Bond/Vesper Lynd, Captain Hook/Emma Swan, Tony Stark/Pepper Potts, Dante/Lulu, Danny/Michelle, Tony/Marah, Sonny/Claudia, Danny/Samantha, Tyler/Caroline, Tuck/Lauren, Rafe/Sami, Batman/Catwoman
Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Elite Fan

I'll see if I can find one.

More news from yesterdays events:

Quote:
Spofforth sets record to win gold

Gemma Spofforth set a new world record in the 100m backstroke as she won Britain's first swimming gold in the pool at the World Championships. The 21-year-old produced a stunning last 50m to overhaul Russia's Anastasia Zueva and win in 58.12 seconds.

Zueva, who lowered the world record in the semi-final, led by half a second at halfway but Spofforth finished strongly to win by six hundredths of a second. Australia's Emily Seebohm was third and Britain's Lizze Simmonds was seventh.

It is the first victory in Rome by a swimmer using a part polyurethane suit as opposed to the others who have been wearing 100% polyurethane suits. "I'm amazed. I just gave it all I had," Spofforth, who lives and trains in Florida, told BBC Sport. "I am very excited with that result. I was thinking I have to take it out a bit faster than I did in the semi-final. Then I came home a bit faster."

Spofforth lost her mother, Lesley, to bowel cancer in 2007 and she dedicated the victory to her memory. "My mother got me there over the last 15m," she said. "My mum's thoughts were always with me."

In the men's 100m backstroke Liam Tancock set a new British record in finishing joint fourth with Japan's Ryosuke Irie in 52.73. Tancock set out fast and turned in second place but he faded down the final 50m as Japan's Junya Koga finished quickest to win in 52.26. "I gave my all and just missed out on a medal but I'm pretty pleased with that," he told BBC Sport.

Joanne Jackson lowered her own British record by more than one second in qualifying in third place for Wednesday's final of the women's 200m freestyle. The 22-year-old finished second behind America's Dana Vollmer in her semi-final in 1:55.54. Italy's Federica Pellegrini set a new world record of 1:53.67 to qualify quickest for the final. "I was shocked with that time," Jackson told BBC Sport. "I now just want to get in there tomorrow and go quicker, put in a good performance and a good time and then we can have some fun in the (4x200m) relay on Friday."

Michael Rock smashed Steve Parry's British record in the semi-finals of the 200m butterfly. His time of 1:54.58 knocked one second off the previous best to qualify sixth fastest for the final. "I paced the race a lot better," he said. "It's my first major final so I'm really looking forward to Wednesday night. I'm just made up to get there and hopefully this is the first of many good things to happen over the next few years."

Spofforth's gold is Britain's third at the championships, following Keri-Anne Payne in the 10km open water swim last week and Tom Daley's 10m platform diving triumph. Jackson and Rebecca Adlington won silver and bronze respectively in the 400m freestyle earlier in the week.
Quote:
Brilliant Biedermann beats Phelps

Germany's Paul Biedermann beat Michael Phelps in the men's 200m freestyle final to win gold - obliterating the American's world record in the process. Biedermann led from the second turn and finished in one minute 42.00 seconds beating Phelps' record by 0.96. The 22-year-old adds the 200m title and record to the 400m title and world best he achieved on Monday.

Phelps, who touched home in 1:43.22, suffered his first major individual loss in four years. That occurred at the 2005 World Championships when Ian Crocker beat him in the final of the 100m butterfly.

The 24-year-old, who won eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, said fatigue cost him in the last part of the race. "I'm a little disappointed that I kind of got tired in the last 20m, 30m of that race," said the American, who picked himself up after the defeat to qualify second fastest for Wednesday's 200m butterfly. "Biedermann just took off, he took it to a new level in that race, that's a good swim for him. He's come down a lot in the last year and I think it's going to be fun next year when swimming's back to swimming."

The German champion was overjoyed with his sensational win. "For the moment it is just like a dream," he said. "It's such an amazing feeling. I'm so fine."

Biedermann wore a 100% polyurethane swimsuit which has been worn by all but one of the individual swimming champions in Rome. Phelps wore a part-polyurethane costume. The German strongly hinted that he may not have won gold had it not been for his suit. "I hope there will be a time I can beat Michael Phelps without the suit of course and I hope that it could be next year or the next two years but I also think it's not all about the suit," he added. "Of course they make a difference but I work really hard with my trainer so it's one of the things which is important to the swimming and also to the training."

In total, four world records fell on Tuesday to take the total at these championships to 15. Britain's Gemma Spofforth broke the 100m backstroke record to win gold, while Italy's Federica Pellegrini sent the home crowd wild with her superb performance in the 200m freestyle semi-final. The Italian, who smashed her own world record to win Sunday's 400m final, cruised to 1:53.67 to better her 1:54.47 mark she set in March. The host nation also struck gold when Alessia Filippi captured the women's 1500m freestyle title in 15:44.93, ahead of Denmark's Lotte Friis and Romanian Camelia Potec. The other world record of the night went to Cameron van der Burgh who set a new best in his 50m breaststroke semi-final. The South African posted 26.74 seconds to eclipse Felipe Franca da Silva's previous time of 26.89. In Tuesday's other finals, American Rebecca Soni, who set a world record in the 100m breaststroke semis, recorded a slightly slower 1:04.93 to win gold. And Japan's Junya Koga came though fast at the end to take the men's 100m backstroke title in 52.26, ahead of Germany's Helge Meeuw and former world record-holder Aschwin Wildeboer of Spain.
Quote:
Phelps coach wades into suit row

Michael Phelps's coach says swimming's biggest star should not compete again until the sport's governing body bans the use of controversial new suits. Phelps lost his first major race since 2005 to Paul Biedermann, who wore a suit Fina will make illegal in 2010.

So far 11 world records have fallen at the World Championships to swimmers in contentious 100% polyurethane outfits. Bob Bowman said he would tell eight-time Olympic champion Phelps "not to swim until the rules are implemented".

Phelps, whose dominance in the pool at the Beijing Oympics sparked an upsurge of interest in the sport, still wears a Speedo LZR suit, which is 50% polyurethane and has been superseded by a new generation of hi-tech bodysuits. The 24-year-old American was beaten in the 200m freestyle final in the World Championships in Rome on Tuesday by Germany's Biedermann, who was wearing an all-polyurethane suit and took Phelps's world record in the process.

Fina have agreed to ban the performance-enhancing suits next year but this ruling may not come into effect until April or May and Bowman feels this is not soon enough. "I'm done with this. It has to be implemented immediately. The sport is in shambles right now and they better do something or they're going to lose their guy who fills these seats," he said.

RECORDS IN ROME
Day One (six records):
M 400m free Paul Biedermann (Arena X-Glide)
W 200m IM Ariana Kukors (Jaked 01)
W 4x100m free (2) Netherlands AND Britta Steffen broke 100m free on her leg (Adidas Hydrofoil)
W 100m butterfly Sarah Sjostrom (Arena X-Glide)
W 400m free Federica Pellegrini (Jaked 01)
Day Two (five records):
W 100m butterfly Sarah Sjostrom (Arena X-Glide)
W 200m IM Ariana Kukors (Jaked 01)
W 100m breaststroke Rebecca Soni (Arena X-Glide)
W 100m backstroke Anastasia Zueva (Arena X-Glide)
M 100m breaststroke Brenton Rickard (Jaked 01)
Day Three (four records):
W 100m backstroke Gemma Spofforth (Speedo LZR)
W 200m Freestyle Federica Pellegrini (Jaked 01)
M 50m breaststroke Cameron Van Der Burgh (Arena X-Glide)
M 200m freestyle Paul Biedermann (Arena X-Glide)
Day Four (one record)*:
W 200m butterfly Mary Descenza (Jaked)
(* event still ongoing)

"We've lost all the history of the sport. Does a 10-year-old boy in Baltimore want to break Paul Biedermann's record? Is that going to make him join swimming? It took Michael from 2003 to 2008 to go from 1:46 to 1:42.9 and this guy's done it in 11 months. That's an amazing training program. I would love to know how that works." Biedermann clocked one minute 42.00 seconds, which beat Phelps' world mark of 1:42.96 from the Beijing Olympics.

On Monday, Biedermann also broke the men's 400m freestyle record, which was held for seven years by Australian Ian Thorpe. The German has improved on his personal best by almost seven-and-a-half seconds since he started using the suit.

Phelps praised Biedermann's achievement, but looked forward to a time when the banning of 100% polyurethane suits returns swimming to an even contest. "Paul is a very strong swimmer and has had an excellent year," said Phelps. "I have not been beaten by the swimsuit but by a great athlete. However, a solution needs to be found to the issue of swimsuits as this is not swimming any more. Technology has to go forward but I am looking forward to the time when we can go back to pure swimming. I will start working as soon as I can and I am confident that I will be in my best shape for the next major competitions, particularly for London [2012 Olympics]."

On Tuesday, a Fina committee upheld last week's decision by the wider organisation to restrict males to suits that go from the waist to the top of the knees, while female suits cannot go past the shoulders or beyond the knees, from next year.

In addition, Fina also announced that suit materials will be restricted to "textiles", a definition which will be determined by a scientific committee, and that there will be specific standards for buoyancy, thickness and permeability. The complete rules will be given to swimsuit companies by 30 September. "The rules will be applied in 2010. That can be April or May. It depends on the time manufacturers need to pass from polyurethane to textiles," said Fina executive director Cornel Marculescu.

The controversy began at the start of 2008 when swimmers began to wear the part-polyurethane Speedo LZR suits. At the Beijing Olympics 23 of the 25 world records set were by swimmers wearing the new attire and by the end of the year 108 new world marks had been set by those wearing the suit.

Since swimmers began to wear the 100% polyurethane suits - the Jaked 01, Arena X-Glide and Adidas Hydrofoil to name but a few - 42 world records have fallen up to and including the third day of the World Championships.

"I would be perfectly happy if we adjust all the records starting with the LZR. If we took them all out and went back to 2007," said Bowman. "Even those in Beijing. We can have them in a separate list. These were done in polyurethane suits and then these are done in textile suits. Then we can start over in January and make the sport about swimming."

Three-time Olympic champion Grant Hackett has branded Fina an "absolute disgrace" for allowing the polyurethane suits at the World Championships. The Australian's 800m and 1500m freestyle marks are the only pre-bodysuit records still standing. "New leadership is needed to look after the sport. I'm furious at Fina," said the Australian, who retired in 2008. Speaking about Biedermann's new mark in the 400m freestyle, Hackett told The Australian Newspaper: "I hate saying this because I sound like a bad sport, but that world record would not have gone without that suit. "What Fina's top officials have done to the sport, what they have allowed to happen, is an absolute disgrace."
Source for all : BBC

Some more from other days too:

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 05-12-2010 at 12:49 PM
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Fan

great pictures and thanks for posting
Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Elite Fan

No problem. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of the Italian mens team, try looking on getty as they are bound to have some.

Quote:
Record-breaking Phelps wins gold

Michael Phelps recovered from defeat in the 200m freestyle with an emphatic win and new world record in the 200m butterfly at the World Championships. The American romped home in one minute 51.51 seconds to take more than half a second off his own mark.

Italy's Federica Pellegrini set another world record to win gold as Jo Jackson finished fourth in the 200m freestyle. Seven new world records on Wednesday took the total set at the Championships to 22 with four days still remaining. Only 15 world records were broken at the last World Championships in Melbourne and Grant Hackett's 1500m freestyle mark is now the only one set by a swimmer not wearing a body suit. The sport's governing body Fina have announced that restrictions on the material and fit of swimsuits will be introduced in 2010.

Poland's Pawel Korzeniowski and Japan's Takeshi Matsuda could not repeat the upset caused by Paul Biedermann on Tuesday as they finished second and third behind Phelps. Britain's Michael Rock claimed a creditable seventh.

"I wanted to step on it in the first 100 metres to get out there in the clean water, and that's pretty much what happened," said Phelps. "It was a lot more pain last night in the freestyle than tonight."

Pellegrini delighted the home crowd as she smashed the record she set in the semi-final to become the first women to dip under one minute 53 seconds as she clocked 1.52.98.

Olympic open-water silver-medallist David Davies finished fifth in the final of the 800m freestyle as China's Zhang Lin stretched the field with a superb performance.

Federica Pellegrini claimed gold in a world record time The 22-year-old ratcheted up the pace at the 350m mark to come home in seven minutes 32.12 seconds and chop more than six seconds off Hackett's four-year-old world record.

Gemma Spofforth claimed a new British record but failed to qualify for the 50m backstroke final. The 21-year-old finished sixth in her semi-final where Germany's Daniela Samulski improved on her own world record. But the second semi-final saw Russia's Anastasia Zueva go one-hundredth of a second better to snatch the landmark away.

James Goddard posted a new British record as he won his individual medley semi-final in one minute 57.12 seconds, but team-mate James Roebuck finished seventh and outside qualification in his race.

Ellen Gandy failed to reproduce her best form in the first 200m butterfly semi-final finishing eighth in two minutes 8.55 seconds as Australia's Jessicah Schipper hunted down China's Liu Zige.

In the other semi-final Hungary's Katinka Hosszu claimed Gandy's European record as she edged out the United States's Mary Descenza over the final few metres.

Vicky
Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for all the latest.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
GB relay quartet win world bronze

Great Britain's women's 200m freestyle relay team took bronze as the records continued to tumble at the World Championships in Rome. The quartet of Jo Jackson, Jazmin Carlin, Caitlin McClatchey, and Rebecca Adlington were beaten to gold by China, while the United States took silver. There were seven world records broken in total on day five in Rome.

That included Ryan Lochte beating Michael Phelps's record in the men's 200m individual medley to seal gold. American Lochte surpassed his compatriot's previous record setting a new time of one minute 54.10 seconds. Hungary's Laszlo Cseh was second with Eric Shanteau of the US taking bronze.

Britain's James Goddard swam well but came sixth which after a recent shoulder injury was a respectable finish. "I'm disappointed but to make the final is still a good achievement considering my shoulder injury," said Loughborough's Goddard. "Hopefully next time will be better but I'm still pleased with my times here."

Phelps had held the world record since 2003, and had lowered it seven times. The 14-time Olympic gold medallist had dominated the event internationally, winning world titles in 2003, 2005 and 2007, and Olympic gold in 2004 and 2008. But when he opted out of the medleys to concentrate on freestyle and butterfly this year, it opened the door for Lochte.

The men's 100m freestyle saw Brazil's Cesar Cielo Filho win gold and break the world record in a blistering final. Filho set a new record of 46.91, beating Alain Bernard's previous time with the Frenchman coming second with his compatriot Frederick Bousquet third. "I think the three of us took swimming to a new level. I did it," said Cielo Filho.

In the women's 100m freestyle semi GB's Fran Halsall qualified fourth quickest for the final with Australia's Lisbeth Trickett setting the pace. "I'm happy with that and I really want to go under 53 seconds on Friday," said Halsall. "I'm in the mix for a medal with my time and if I swim my race I could get one." The women's 200m backstroke semi-final saw Canada's Annamay Pierse set a new world record of 2.20.12 surpassing Rebecca's Soni's previous time. Australia's Jessicah Schipper clinched gold in the final of the women's 200m butterfly and also set a new world record of 2.03.41. Schipper finished ahead of China's Liu Zige and Hungary's Katinka Hosszu third.

Christian Sprenger was another Australian to topple a world record, setting a new best of 2.07.31 in the semi-final of the 200m breaststroke. But Kris Gilchrist missed out on a place in the final, despite setting a new British record. Records continued to fall with China's Zhao Jing winning the gold in the women's 50m backstroke and setting a new world best of 27.06 with Germany's Daniela Samulski second and Gao Chang third.

Britain's Chris Walker-Hebborn just missed out on a place in the men's 200m backstroke final despite setting a new national record of 1.56.05 in the semi. The day ended with the final of women's 4x200m freestyle relay with Britain among the favourites for gold, having qualified fastest. But China's quartet of Yang Yu, Zhu Qian Wei, Liu Jing and Pang Jiaying led from start to finish to seal gold and set a new world record time of 7.42.08. Britain's time saw them record a new national and European record of 7:45.51 and the quartet were delighted with their achievement.

Jo Jackson, silver medallist in the 400m freestyle, led the team off and said: "We knew it would be tough out there tonight, there was a lot of good teams. But I thought we did a great performance, a great team effort. We got a massive PB and a British and European record. We did awesome and we are all really proud of each other." "All of us gave 110% and we did better than we did last year. It's just been brilliant," added Adlington, who swam the last leg. "It was hard but I held on and to get a medal is just unbelievable."

Quote:
Cielo Hilho breaks 47-second barrier

Brazil's Cesar Cielo Filho sliced through the 47-second barrier to triumph in the men's 100 metres freestyle final amid another torrent of swimsuit-aided records at the world championships in Rome. Cesar Cielo Filho celebrates winning gold and setting a new world record in the 100m freestyle at the World Championships in Rome.

The Brazilian stormed to a world record time of 46.91 to stun Olympic champion Alain Bernard, who came in second ahead of compatriot Frederick Bousquet. "I saw Bernard in the last 25. I was hurting a lot but I thought he was hurting too because he wasn't catching me," Cielo Filho said after beating the absent Eamon Sullivan's Beijing Olympic mark of 47.05. "I think the first 50 metres was the key to the race. I think today was just my lucky day."

It was a bitter moment for Bernard, who had breached the 47 second mark at the French championships in April but his time was not ratified because his hi-tech swimsuit was not approved. Polyurethane suits will be banned from next year after controversy over the scores of world records they have prompted, seven being shattered on Thursday to bring the total number for the championships to a staggering 29. The worlds, which end on Sunday, will stand out in the swimming annals with many wanting asterisks to be put by records set in the suits, knowing they could take years to break when the sport returns to mere textile costumes.

American Ryan Lochte smashed the first world record of the day in the Foro Italiaco's open-air pool to win the men's 200 individual medley final. Lochte shot through the water in one minute 54.10 to beat Michael Phelps' Beijing Olympic time of 1:54.23. "The swim felt great," he beamed. "I went out there as fast as I could and I just held on for dear life." Three-times champion Phelps decided not to defend his title this year after scaling back his programme for these championships, allowing 2007 silver medallist Lochte to poach his crown and record. Hungary's Laszlo Cseh, second three times to Phelps in Beijing, again took silver. "Every time I look up I see an American," he scowled.

While Cielo Filho was still celebrating poolside, Australian Jessicah Schipper steamed to the women's 200 butterfly title with a world record time of 2:03.41 after Mary Descenza had lowered the mark in Wednesday's heats.

The lively Roman crowd have become accustomed to previously unsurpassed times but Australian Christian Sprenger's world record of 2:07.31 in the men's 200 breaststroke semi-finals was a surprise given the competition around him.

Canada's Annamay Pierse also shattered the women's 200 breaststroke world record in her semi. The women's 50 backstroke world record was ripped up for a third time this week, China's Zhao Jing settling matters with 27.06 to seize gold in the final.

China, who picked up their first male world championship swimming gold on Wednesday through Zhang Lin, continued to make a splash with the women's 4x200 metres freestyle relay team surging to gold in a fastest ever time of 7:42.08.

Despite world record holder Britta Steffen and defending champion Libby Trickett competing, the women's 100 freestyle mark stayed in tact in a comparatively slow semi-final where the big names all got through.

American Aaron Peirsol, dumped out in the 100 backstroke semis despite being Olympic champion, partly made up for his disappointment by setting a championship record and qualifying first for Friday's 200 backstroke final.
Source: Eurosport

Some pictures:

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 05-12-2010 at 01:06 PM
Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if some of you has Alain Bernard's icons & Amaury Leveaux's ones?

thanks in advance

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
boston | los angeles | ♡ Candice |icon by summer falls
holding my heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread