Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. Haven't seen em play, but excited for their year.

Kevin, I'm starting to play Fantasy Baseball. My Draft isn't until next week, but pretty excited. Hope it goes well.

Last edited by canflam; 04-04-2011 at 01:59 PM
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Loyal Fan

Ohhh nice bro! Good deal right there,, it's a blast and even if you don't have the best draft... players can surprise ya. My pitching is holding my team this week.. offense not so much
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I need to do some mocks before Sunday. Huge rosters in Fantasy Baseball.

The O's are off to a great start. Erick Benard will be starting today for the 1st time in 18 months vs. the Rangers.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Better news Boston Red Sox finally gained there first win of the season ,seems home cooking was all they needed . 9-6 slugfest at Fenway Park. Prior to the game red Sox took a moment to honor there former GM ,over 20 yrs in baseball Lou Gorman .He passed away last week at the age of 82 .

This really caught me by surprise former Red Sox slugger and 2 time word series champion Manny Rameriez retired based on failed drug test Well a 100 game suspension in 95% of the season . manny go to ,well maybe not , Japan . The hire big name MLB players .

Manny Ramirez retires rather than face drug ban - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Manny Ramirez retires rather than face drug ban
By DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP)—The news that mercurial slugger Manny Ramirez(notes) had tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance and abruptly retired swept quickly through baseball, leaving players and mangers with mixed emotions.

Some were baffled that Ramirez would get caught again violating Major League Baseball’s drug policy. Others were angry that baseball is still dealing with the specter of steroid use. Still others were disappointed that another player had walked away in shame.

“Until the past couple of years, I thought he was on his way to the Hall of Fame,” Texas manager Ron Washington said. “I don’t think many guys got as many big hits in their careers as he has. There weren’t many guys who had as big an effect on a game as he had.

Ramirez decided to retire Friday rather than face a 100-game suspension for a second violation of MLB’s drug policy. The 12-time All-Star served a 50-game ban in 2009 while a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers, and second-time offenders get double that penalty.

“We were obviously surprised when we found out about it today, and hurt by what transpired,” said Rays vice president Andrew Friedman, who signed Ramirez to a $2 million, one-year contract in the offseason. “We were cautiously optimistic that he would be able to be a force for us.”

A person familiar with the situation confirmed to The Associated Press that Ramirez tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the nature of Ramirez’s issue with MLB’s drug policy was not publicly disclosed.

The commissioner’s office announced Ramirez’s decision but provided few details.

“Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program,” MLB said in a statement. “Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed.”

Last edited by Logan; 04-09-2011 at 05:14 AM
Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Part-Time Fan

Surprised that he abruptly retired or surprised that he got caught again? Wonder if he will ever get elected to HoF now...
Old 04-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He likely was not going to get elected to the Hall of Fame before this week, so very sure it won't happen after it, but there is still Baseball to be played for us fortunately. Mariners need to step it up vs. the Indians today & put some runs on the board. Yesterday was embarrassing.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not surprised he was still using something (none of the busted get the benefit of doubt from me), but I'd have thought even he'd have been smarter in his use and either used something undetectable by current standards or had someone on the take to know when/what he was getting tested for.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Not surprised that Manny was on steroids ...Surprised that he retired
Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndell75 (View Post)
not surprised that manny was on steroids ...surprised that he retired
+1

Ay Matty boy how'd ur draft go??
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It went OK. I had the 9th pick out of 10 teams so went with Felix Hernandez & Tim Lincecum for my top 2 picks. Then picked up Jerod Weaver later who struck out 15 batters today. For offense I have Aaron Hill, Vlad Guerrero, Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, Ichiro, among others. Jose Bautista was picked well before my turn in Round 1, so am trying to trade for him. How is your team doing?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

not happy with my Red Sox horrible start it is very early in the season well over 100 games to go . But come on make my spring a pleasant one

Updated: April 13, 2011, 5:41 PM ET

Barry Bonds found guilty of obstruction

ESPN.com news services

SAN FRANCISCO -- The jury in the Barry Bonds case convicted the seven-time MVP of obstruction of justice, but the defense and prosecution agreed to a mistrial on the other three remaining counts.

The guilty verdict on obstruction of justice means the jury believed Bonds hindered a grand jury's 2003 sports doping investigation by lying.

The judge, after speaking to the jury foreman, said she believes the mistrial is the proper decision given that the jury believes it has reached a crossroads.

The eight women and four men returned the verdict after four days of deliberations. The jury worked behind closed doors since rehearing some testimony early Monday.

Bonds was charged with three counts of lying to a grand jury and one count of obstruction.

Prosecutors allege that Bonds lied when he denied knowingly taking steroids and human growth hormone. A third count of making a false statement charges that Bonds lied when he said no one other than his doctor ever injected him with anything.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Elite Fan

I know he did wrong, but Bonds' mess, like Clemens', is such a ridiculous waste of government money.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Not sure how much money they spent on it. Yeah Red Sox are struggling & I'm expecting it to continue vs. the Jays in their next series.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
It went OK. I had the 9th pick out of 10 teams so went with Felix Hernandez & Tim Lincecum for my top 2 picks. Then picked up Jerod Weaver later who struck out 15 batters today. For offense I have Aaron Hill, Vlad Guerrero, Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, Ichiro, among others. Jose Bautista was picked well before my turn in Round 1, so am trying to trade for him. How is your team doing?
You got solid SP right thereee. I got King Felix & Weaver as well. I won the first week but have a bit of struggle this week! Didn't help that Felix went negative in his start Monday and the struggling Ted Lily is killing me. Josh Johnson did get me some decent catch up points last night tho. Favorite player on my team tho... TULO!

How's the trade looking for Bautista?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Not good. I haven't offered anyone for him yet, because most of my hitters avg. is currently under .300 The exceptions are Bobby Abreu, Casey Blake, & Yunel Escobar.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread