Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Megan is and always will be a part of Sly. We've said it before but it bears repeating - any woman who wants to be with Sly will have to understand that Megan will always hold a piece of his heart - a piece he can't get back, even if he wanted to and I don't think he does. But he's got a big heart - enough to give to someone new, and Megan would want him to do just that - and get a piece of someone else's heart in return.
You just state things really beautifully, you know that?

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
You just state things really beautifully, you know that?
Aww.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Part of what you said:
Quote:
any woman who wants to be with Sly will have to understand that Megan will always hold a piece of his heart
is an idea that features heavily in a fic I may be posting at some point.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

When you think about it, a woman would be a fool to *not* want a man who feels that way about his deceased wife. I mean who would want a guy who easily forgets a woman he loved and lost that way?

~Heidi
Old 05-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

As difficult as it was to watch the Sly/Walter fight in the finale, I like that Sly talked about how difficult it was for him to allow himself to have those sorts of feelings again.

~Heidi
Old 05-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
As difficult as it was to watch the Sly/Walter fight in the finale, I like that Sly talked about how difficult it was for him to allow himself to have those sorts of feelings again.
Me too! It was good for both my Fly and Melvester feels.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Me too! It was good for both my Fly and Melvester feels.
Exactly. I think one of the things I love about the Fly storyline this season is the respect they've given Melvester while doing it.

~Heidi
Old 05-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Exactly. I think one of the things I love about the Fly storyline this season is the respect they've given Melvester while doing it.
Yes. Especially how he said initially he wasn't going to act on his feelings "because of Megan" and the way he held up his hand doing it - he's still married to her, despite already fulfilling "til death do us part." He is in love with Florence, but he's still in love with Megan, too.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A lot of people don't get that falling in love with someone new after you've lost a partner does not count as being unfaithful. Nor does it mean you no longer love the first partner. It is possible to love two people at the same time. But the vows do say 'til death, not forever. Culturally, there's an assumption that if you fall in love with someone new, that you must somehow fall out of love with anyone who came before. But it doesn't necessarily work that way. That culture heaps a lot of unnecessary and unfair guilt on people who are in that situation.

~Heidi
Old 05-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm just appreciating Melvester a lot this morning. They didn't have a lot in common, but what they did share was how much they liked spending time together. They let their differences enhance their relationship. They never got petty or jealous. They had each other's backs 100%. They challenged each other to be better while also being supportive. v I've seen arguments that Quintis was unhealthy, that Waige was unhealthy, that Callie was unhealthy and that Fly would have been unhealthy, and I disagree with all of those statements (because complicated doensn't automatically mean unhealthy), but at the same time, I also very strongly feel that in a show full of healthy relationships, Melvester's was easily the most so.

Quote:
A lot of people don't get that falling in love with someone new after you've lost a partner does not count as being unfaithful. Nor does it mean you no longer love the first partner. It is possible to love two people at the same time. But the vows do say 'til death, not forever. Culturally, there's an assumption that if you fall in love with someone new, that you must somehow fall out of love with anyone who came before. But it doesn't necessarily work that way. That culture heaps a lot of unnecessary and unfair guilt on people who are in that situation.
Agreed.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'm just appreciating Melvester a lot this morning. They didn't have a lot in common, but what they did share was how much they liked spending time together. They let their differences enhance their relationship. They never got petty or jealous. They had each other's backs 100%. They challenged each other to be better while also being supportive. v I've seen arguments that Quintis was unhealthy, that Waige was unhealthy, that Callie was unhealthy and that Fly would have been unhealthy, and I disagree with all of those statements (because complicated doensn't automatically mean unhealthy), but at the same time, I also very strongly feel that in a show full of healthy relationships, Melvester's was easily the most so.
100% Agree. Melvester was the shining star among some pretty marvelous relationships. I loved the scene when Sly was explaining to Happy how he and Megan decided they needed to make sure they would have no regrets. Sly and Megan must have had some amazing talks about life and love and what is truly important. I'm only sorry we did not get to see those.

~Heidi
Old 05-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
100% Agree. Melvester was the shining star among some pretty marvelous relationships. I loved the scene when Sly was explaining to Happy how he and Megan decided they needed to make sure they would have no regrets. Sly and Megan must have had some amazing talks about life and love and what is truly important. I'm only sorry we did not get to see those.
Yeah, that relationship definitely left me wanting more, because it was just so, so solid.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sylvester and Megan were far from the typical married couple. What "typical" married things do you think they actually did?

~Heidi
Old 03-06-2019, 01:29 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Sylvester and Megan were far from the typical married couple. What "typical" married things do you think they actually did?
When Megan was still able to leave the hospital we know they spent time together at the beach, so I assume they went to other places too, just spending time together.

I love the way Sylvester filled Megan's hospital room with Super Fun Guy memorabilia, he wanted to make her room more cheerful and fun and it was the only way he could think of. Megan might never have read a comic before, but as her condition worsened I imagine she loved hearing Sylvester read them to her because, for a short time, she was able to escape to a fun, fantasy place and forget about what she was going through.

I suspect they had disagreements too. Nothing serious, but they didn't really know each other for very long so there would've been times when, maybe, Sylvester thought he was doing the right thing, but she disagreed. Other couples have more time, but they were thrust into marriage so quickly it can't have been easy at times.

Also, I imagine they didn't always agree on how to deal with Walter either. Walter's attitude towards her treatment made Sylvester quite angry and we didn't see that side of him often (in fact, I think we only saw it when Walter annoyed him!) but Megan was a natural peacemaker so Sylvester might have been upset if she didn't immediately take his side on something.

Ultimately though their love was so strong and their relationship so intense, because of the circumstances, that their marriage was totally unique.

Last edited by Cyclone139; 03-06-2019 at 11:06 AM
Cyclone139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can imagine Megan and Sylvester doing their best to make their marriage as normal as they can make it. By the time they were married, Megan wasn't able to leave the hospital any more, so Sly probably did a lot to make her room as much a "home" for them as possible. I'm sure they spent a lot of hours cuddling together watching television, or playing card and board games or just talking. I even think Sly might try to figure out some way to make meals for Megan - maybe even breakfast in bed. Sure, she gets breakfast in bed every day - but if Sly makes it, that makes it special.

~Heidi
Reply   Post New Thread