Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you Heidi!

She's a little better today, a bit more willing to move around. I've been placing her feed at different places around the stall so she has to walk a little - the most dangerous thing about an abscess is if they keep their weight solely on the other front leg, they can lose adequate blood flow to the healthy foot and develop laminitis, an inflammatory issue that's the number two killer of horses. So I'm making it so she has to move around to keep up the blood moving to the healthy leg.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

From what very, very little I know about equine medicine, keeping them moving seems to be key in some things. Very clever to move the feed around. She might not follow just anything, but she'll follow her stomach.

~Heidi
Old 02-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, when they have a leg injury the biggest issue other than the injury of course is keeping the other feet healthy. If a horse has a broken leg, if you have a lot of money you can swim them at vet clinics or put them in a sling a few hours a day to make sure the healthy feet (that are now bearing more weight than usual) keep getting adequate blood flow. We can't afford to swim or sling her, but she doesn't have an injury that means she can't bear weight on that leg, she just doesn't want to because it hurts. So along with spreading the feed around, whenever I go out to check on her I just circle her in her stall a time or two.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Do you know how long it usually takes for an abscess to heal? I hate to think of her hobbling around, even if it's what's best for her.

~Heidi
Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Do you know how long it usually takes for an abscess to heal? I hate to think of her hobbling around, even if it's what's best for her.
Providing there are no complications, it takes 3-5 days for the abscess to blow out and drain. As soon as it does, she should be sound (not limping) again, and it will take a few more days after that before she can go back out in the pasture since the blowout point will have to heal up.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Having had a couple of tooth abscesses, it's amazing how they stop hurting as soon as they open and drain.

Jazz is lucky she has you to take such good care of her.

~Heidi
Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Jazz is lucky she has you to take such good care of her.
I hope she knows how lucky she is because she was a little biznitch this morning. She's moving better (more willingly) this evening.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Why do 3 day weekends always feel shorter than regular weekends?

~Heidi
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Because people are under the subconscious impression three day weekends last forever while they have a realistic expectation about each standard weekend.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Which is probably why 4-day weeks also feel super long.

I'm actually looking forward to a rainy day tomorrow. If it was nice, I'd feel obligated to go out and do something. But the rain gives me an excuse to just cuddle up with some videos - and maybe even get in some reading.

I - - WILL - - NOT - - WORK - - ON - - SATURDAY

~Heidi
Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Haha, see, I don't feel obligated to go out when it's nice (play with my horse maybe but she's on our property), I'm very IF I WANNA STAY IN I'M GONNA STAY IN.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I spent all all day watching Doc Martin on Netflix and eating things that are bad for me.

~Heidi
Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I spent all all day watching Doc Martin on Netflix and eating things that are bad for me.
That sounds delightful.

I've been rather weird lately. I don't have a set meal schedule - I eat when I'm hungry. So I realized on Friday that I had a salad on Wednesday but hadn't eaten since. I wasn't hungry, but I ate a piece of buttered bread. Then I realized that although I'd stayed up until 3am on Thursday night, I wasn't tired despite getting up at 7am that day. So last night I went to bed at 11pm because I had to be up early for the barn. But I still didn't fall asleep until after 2am and woke up at 7am.

So basically since my salad on Wednesday I've had one piece of bread, an apple (ate today), and nine hours of sleep. And I'm still not hungry, and I'm still not tired. I know this is supposed to be alarming but I'm just here wondering if my haircut on Wednesday gave me super powers.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The haircut may have you on a bit of a high. Feeling good about yourself - no matter the reason - can do that to you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it!

~Heidi
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The haircut may have you on a bit of a high. Feeling good about yourself - no matter the reason - can do that to you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it!
I mean maybe but generally my appetite doesn't go away. I shouldn't be able to go ~54 hours on only a piece of bread and an apple and not even feel hungry.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread