Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

They were able to tell their story though but do agree, wished that it could have gone on forever and ever
Old 11-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Extreme Fan

I did not read the entire thread, so hopefully I am not repeating any previous complaints.

1 - Americans in space.
The original made the people a little different than those of us on Earth. For example, they had alien clothing. In the remake everyone wears contemporary American clothing. Even while living on spacecraft most of the men wear blazers and nooses. American-style "dog tags" for the military, etc. In the remake the show lost its originality. Instead of people from somewhere else, we were given Americans from somewhere else. They also removed most of the original language. Words like Yarn and felgerkarb were dropped and only frak was kept. Again, the language was part of what made the people different in the original.

2 - Technology
The people on the Colonies had the technology to build spaceships with artificial gravity and could instantaneously jump from one place to another; they could build sentient computers; but they did not have the technology to make energy and particle-beam weapons? Instead, they had guns that shot bullets and a ship that fired artillery shells. And amazingly, they were constantly in battle, but never ran out of ammunition. A problem the original show did not have, because they used lasers instead of bullets.

3 - Politics
40,000 refugees living on spaceships, fleeing an enemy that has destroyed their civilisation and is hunting them down with the intention of killing the few people that remain. Logically, their priorities would be: avoiding the enemy; finding food and water; and finding a new home. Instead, their number one priority was forming a civilian government. There was no civilisation to govern! (Only 40,000 people, remember? And they were refugees on spaceships.) With a group of refugees fleeing genocide the leaders of the people would obviously be the people in command of the warship.

4 - Fountain of everlasting everything.
I already mentioned that they never ran out of ammunition. They also never ran out of alcohol and cigarettes.

To be honest, if it were not for the good acting and special effects, the show would not be watchable.
Acting - 5/5
Special effects - 4/5
Story - 2/5

Let the flamewar begin!

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 11-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for your contribution.

There were certainly aspects of the story that I didn't enjoy as well. To be honest, I never really thought about the fact that it didn't make sense for the refugees to have a government. Hmm...
Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Extreme Fan

If there had been a couple hundred-thousand people on a few hundred ships it would have been appropriate. It would also have made it much harder for the Galactica to defend the fleet, which would have created a multitude of potential stories.

Randy
Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, i can definitely see what you're saying. I think it was a give and take in that way. Leaving only 50k people increased the panic over extinction (at least for me) but then having more people would have increased panic over being able to defend that many.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Extreme Fan

And enough people to have political factions to make Adama's life miserable.

Randy
Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Elite Fan

More like make Roslin's life difficult. But yeah.

Now that I have some distance in time from season 4, it doesn't bother me as much, but boy was I annoyed at basically everything in season 4.5. At the time it really felt unnecessary and just dragged on. I still think it would have been great to just end at 4.0, (without Earth being a nuclear wasteland) but I like season 4.5 better now.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:01 PM
Extreme Fan

The last season definitely had a lot of filler to stretch it out.
I thought Earth being a destroyed Cylon world was a nice touch. A rare bit of creativity in Hollywood.

Randy
Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, it was creative, but much like the people of Galactica, I was worn out.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Good point about the ammunition that is a very good point

Now on alcohol I can agree but my opinion is that they most likely were able to find away to make their own. So I'll let that one side

It was pretty creative for them to have Earth a wasteland will have to agree
Old 11-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Elite Fan

The did show them making alcohol, but one does wonder where they got all the STUFF to make the alcohol.

The ammunition is a great point. And it's not like they had a ready supply of metal and gunpowder to make more
Old 11-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Extreme Fan

They were making a little alcohol, but the bar and Adama's quarters were fully stocked with coloured premium spirits until the end. They actually had it right at the beginning. Early in the first season they were discussing the amount of food required to feed everyone; and Baltar used "the last in the universe" of his type of cigarette as a bet in a poker game. Even with the ammunition they seemed cognisant of supply. Then for the sake of convenience they decided to ignore such things. Which is a shame, because the problem of limited supplies could have been used to further the story, instead of going the religious route.

The supply issue that bugged me most, however, were the lorries and front-end loaders on New Caprica. Where did they come from? And the fuel? Unless they managed to explain it in something I did not see? The third season began on New Caprica, but the second ended with the two Battlestars facing off. There must have been a television movie in between that I missed.

Randy
Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Elite Fan

Did you perhaps miss the 2nd half of season 2? Because the 2nd season ended with Baltar becoming president and deciding to settle on New Caprica. Then it flashed to a year later and the Cylons arrived.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Extreme Fan

I had the first two seasons on two or four discs. I forget how many. The episodes ended with the Battlestar stand-off. Looks like I might need to find the rest of season two.

Randy
Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, season 2 was split into 2 different boxes.