Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Flash Is Born [1.06] - Episode Discussion [November 18th, 2014]

[1.06] THE FLASH IS BORN
ϟ EPISODE DISCUSSION ϟ

ϟ GREG FINLEY GUEST STARS AS DC COMICS’ VILLAIN GIRDER ϟ
The Flash (Grant Gustin) faces a new meta-human named Tony (guest star Greg Finley, “Star-Crossed,” “Secret Life of the American Teenager”), who can turn himself into girded steel at will. While Dr. Wells (Tom Cavanagh) and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) are concerned about Barry’s safety, Cisco (Carlos Valdes) comes up with a plan to take Tony down. Meanwhile, Iris’s (Candice Patton) blog on The Flash gets her into trouble, and Eddie (Rick Cosnett) witnesses Tony’s abilities firsthand and begins to ask questions that Joe (Jesse L. Martin) doesn’t want answered. Joe asks Dr. Wells to help him solve Nora Allen’s murder.
Millicent Shelton directed the episode written by Jaime Paglia & Chris Rafferty (#106).
ϟ PROMO ϟ

ϟ REMINDERS ϟ
- Be respectful. Not everyone is going to agree with you at all times. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with someone as long as it is done respectfully.

- No character/actor bashing. You can express your opinions on a certain character or performance, but please keep in mind that these are real people who are trying to do the best with what they are given, so please keep things civil.

- Links to illegal links to downloads or live streams are not allowed here. You can discuss and share these links only through PM's.

- With the exception of promos and episode stills, everything else is considered a spoiler before the episode airs.

- HAVE FUN watching and discussing the episode!

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Another good episode here!
I gotta be honest, during that last scene I was so scared. Like I was like JOE WEST LIVE!! like I really felt this episode will end with such a sad note. Joe West is in such a tough spot now, and the person who killed Barry's Mother is still out there.

I loved seeing Barry as Flash and Iris scenes, I just had a smile on my face the whole time. It's going to be fun watching it the full season while watching Barry/Iris scenes. I loved Barry smile when Iris lied to Eddie about seeing the Flash. Iris is surely developing feelings for the Flash.

I enjoyed the whole episode oh and I loved seeing young Barry again, and this time interacting with young Iris.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Total Fan

* Okay... who is Reverse Flash (I know who he is in the comics, but there's no guarantee they'll stick to that). It looks like they're setting it up to be Wells since Joe was talking to him about Nora's murder, but that just means to me that it's NOT Wells. Hmmmm... did Joe mention his side-investigation to
Spoiler:
I can't remember.

* How badass was Iris tonight? 1-2 punch teamwork with "The Flash" (his official name finally). Loved it! Definitely not a damsel in distress (or at least, not for very long), and sassing the bad guy a bit too. I also liked how she was in on the action (leaving cryptic notes to the Flash) right off the bat.

* Did they just make a Firestorm reference ("There's this guy who looks like he's on fire but he doesn't burn")? Because that would be awesome.

* So glad Barry and Iris made up at the end.

* My only complaint: Barry revealing his identity to Tony. I have a feeling that's going to come back to bite him in the @$$.

All in all, a great episode.

Edited to add: I really hope Iris picked up on the fact that Barry didn't seem very shocked at hearing about Metahumans.

Last edited by Elektra; 11-18-2014 at 07:20 PM
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Dedicated Fan

I loved this episode, too. So, so much. Joe was just... in all his scenes. I really liked the flashbacks. Barry was so wily with the self-naming! I'm coming to like Eddie a whole lot! He was really endearing; they need to do more with him. Barry revealing himself did make me facepalm.

And, of course, Iris and Barry were wonderful this episode. I hope he tells her his secret - and soon! It was wonderful that they made up at the end, and that there wasn't any angsty grudge-holding from Iris that he was such a twerp to her to "break up" with her to begin with.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
* Okay... who is Reverse Flash (I know who he is in the comics, but there's no guarantee they'll stick to that). It looks like they're setting it up to be Wells since Joe was talking to him about Nora's murder, but that just means to me that it's NOT Wells. Hmmmm... did Joe mention his side-investigation to
Spoiler:
I can't remember.

* How badass was Iris tonight? 1-2 punch teamwork with "The Flash" (his official name finally). Loved it! Definitely not a damsel in distress (or at least, not for very long), and sassing the bad guy a bit too. I also liked how she was in on the action (leaving cryptic notes to the Flash) right off the bat.

* Did they just make a Firestorm reference ("There's this guy who looks like he's on fire but he doesn't burn")? Because that would be awesome.

* So glad Barry and Iris made up at the end.

* My only complaint: Barry revealing his identity to Tony. I have a feeling that's going to come back to bite him in the @$$.

All in all, a great episode.

Edited to add: I really hope Iris picked up on the fact that Barry didn't seem very shocked at hearing about Metahumans.
I think they did. I was amused by that whole fight thing and the fact that it was an ass who was mean to them both cracked me up. I didn't think these two would stop being friends for long,but it was nice to see one of her other friends. Heh-That cashier has good taste.

Spoiler:

Wells is an obvious one,but who else could it be? That was scary as hell and I would have almost cried,too. Iris is a smart cookie,but I don't think she did. I think their sibling-ish bond makes it hard for her to see him outside of her perception. I feel really sorry for Eddie-He's so nice and it's tough not to like him. They can't put Barry and Iris together immediately-There's no angst or build-up. It took 3 seasons for Oliver and Felicity and she already knew who he was.

Cisco cracked me up with his muah thing at Barry going through with his suggestion.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

what are they donna do with al the metahumans they captured?

enjoyed the flash backs

I was so scared for joe in that end scene,they are still alive the person who killed nora

I love you
it's ruining my life
{}
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Loyal Fan

I enjoyed the new episode. It's a really good one. I can't help but notice some parallels with Arrow. I like that they have almost the same formula in The Flash. Every episode, there's always something new and something for us to think about.

I liked the sort of mix up between Joe/Wells and Barry/Eddie. Usually it was Dr. Wells and Barry together on a scene, then Joe and Eddie. But this episode, I enjoyed Joe and Dr. Wells's scenes. I'm also liking Eddie more. I think he could be a good friend to Barry. Their boxing scenes are nice.

With Iris, I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I actually didn't like how she is, I don't know, getting too hardheaded? Or perhaps I'm not that sold yet on her reasons for her sudden obsession with The Flash. But that's just me. Anyway, other than that bit, Iris was great in this episode.

I love Cisco! "Super sonic punch, baby!" That's literally my reaction too! And I really have to comment on the special effects. It's getting better and better each week

The bond among the three lab rats is getting really good. It's just cute that they were so much alike. The metahuman being Barry's childhood nemesis/bully was a nice connection. We got to see flashbacks and also relate it to what's going on with Barry in the present.

Just last week on Arrow, Oliver kind of just called Roy the Arsenal while they were talking. Then tonight Barry got his name in almost the same manner. I like it. Oh, and the Firestorm reference!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Well, I think that she was initially drawn to the rumors of this impossible thing and curious/excited about it - as all the other characters are. But I think, at least, that some of the fervency of her interest at this point came, ironically, from Joe's and Barry's efforts to scare her off. They kinda went about it in the worst possible way.

It's like...I dunno...Hugh Jackman moves in next door to you. At first, you just hear a bunch of people say, "Hey, the guy who came by scoping out the apartment looked a lot like Wolverine" and you're at first like, "Oh, that would be cool!" But while you're a little curious, your life and death do not depend upon whether it's true. You start seeing entertainment news about him possibly getting a new apartment in your area, or photos posted of him online that seem like he's shopped at your local bodega and so you start to be a little more like, "Hey! I think this might be happening!" But your best friends (one of whom is founding member of the HJ fan club) are still like, "What? Yawn! You're nuts!" To the point where, what might have been not as big a thing for you gets bigger because "Are you kidding? What about this evidence, guys?" And they're still openly skeptical, like, "Girl, he's allergic to this hemisphere and would instantly implode if he set foot in it. Also, what evidence? All of these patently-brunette guys in these photos look Blonde to me. And female. Cats. You're nuts if you see a dark-haired guy in them (even though he's RIGHT THERE)."

To the point where, even after you bump into him grabbing your morning paper and have a long chat with him about the physical stresses of playing Wolverine, and he shows you his fake claws and everything, your friends are like, "Yeah, no. You had a nice long chat with your imagination because Hugh Jackman doesn't exist."

I think it would actually make things like your curiosity and interest be worse. I mean, you'd have always thought it was pretty cool, but now it's more like OMG GUYS, I WILL PROVE I AM RIGHT SO YOU CAN HELP ME "ACCIDENTALLY" FALL INTO HIM SO I CAN FEEL THOSE ABS!

...That last part may have been just me.

Point is, I think their approach of just telling her that her eyes were totally wrong and Flash didn't exist - especially after she's MET him - was probably doomed to only make her more interested and more stubborn about it (as I expect would happen with a lot of people). I think she always would have been somewhat interested, for Barry's sake if nothing else. But it became even more pronounced interest because the one guy who she thought would be the most interested in exploring this story is one of the loudest voices telling her she's nuts to even think about it. And I think now, the fact that even he (who should have been the most open to the possibilities) isn't even the slightest bit curious or interested...I think it sort of came to symbolize how much she needs to get the story out there and how hard she is going to have to fight to get people on board. Because, hey, if even the founder of the HJ Fan Club needs to be convinced...

Just my two cents and imperfect analogy. I suppose I should have used something like Bigfoot, but who would want to feel HIS abs? I mean, really?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Dude this episode was freakin' awesome!

My first bit of business:

-Wells being fascinated with "A Man of Steel". I had to watch that several times because I loved the tone of voice and his reaction. I died with that Superman reference because he does come from the future and would know Superman (although in what capacity we don't know) but still. A Superman reference nontheless!!!!

-The Wells/West stuff was intense. I know who it is in the comics too but they're really making out the yellow streak to be Wells it seems. I mean it couldn't have been a coincidence right, that Joe was talking to Wells and then shortly after it happens at his home and all his files are gone- unless
Spoiler:
has been keeping tabs on Joe all along.

-Iris/Flash. Loved their scenes. I don't know what else to say here because they are so great especially since Iris is keeping it from Eddie.

-Iris/Barry. Him giving her a hint as to his new name, very smooth!

-Firestorm reference nice! Can't wait to see him.

-Speaking of Eddie. His scenes with Barry were surprisingly cool and with that in regard it will be interesting if
Spoiler:
. I really enjoyed their boxing scenes.

-And the flashbacks were perfect. Joe calling Barry 'son' constantly

-Cisco and Caitlin were awesome and Cisco especially when he cheered for Barry and his super punch. They really crack me up.

-Barry revealing himself to his nemesis was very surprising but I loved the speech he gave.

-Overall super pleased with this ep!

This show has easily become one of my new favorites

And I swear this guy is pushing Batman off my top 3 list. In fact I think he did
Emma♥Neal
Old 11-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Loyal Fan

I could understand that for Iris it was like that time when you start dating some guy and your parents warned you off, it just makes you want to date him more. But I was still not buying it. I think Joe and Barry's reactions/protectiveness don't warrant the level of intensity/stubbornness that she's showing. Maybe Iris is just naturally stubborn. I don't know. But really, that's just me. Maybe others see it differently.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liyah08 (View Post)
I enjoyed the new episode. It's a really good one. I can't help but notice some parallels with Arrow. I like that they have almost the same formula in The Flash. Every episode, there's always something new and something for us to think about.

I liked the sort of mix up between Joe/Wells and Barry/Eddie. Usually it was Dr. Wells and Barry together on a scene, then Joe and Eddie. But this episode, I enjoyed Joe and Dr. Wells's scenes. I'm also liking Eddie more. I think he could be a good friend to Barry. Their boxing scenes are nice.

With Iris, I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I actually didn't like how she is, I don't know, getting too hardheaded? Or perhaps I'm not that sold yet on her reasons for her sudden obsession with The Flash. But that's just me. Anyway, other than that bit, Iris was great in this episode.

I love Cisco! "Super sonic punch, baby!" That's literally my reaction too! And I really have to comment on the special effects. It's getting better and better each week

The bond among the three lab rats is getting really good. It's just cute that they were so much alike. The metahuman being Barry's childhood nemesis/bully was a nice connection. We got to see flashbacks and also relate it to what's going on with Barry in the present.

Just last week on Arrow, Oliver kind of just called Roy the Arsenal while they were talking. Then tonight Barry got his name in almost the same manner. I like it. Oh, and the Firestorm reference!
She is being stubborn and hard-headed, but it's still better than before. She was just a student who didn't know what she wanted before and now she's an ambitious blogger who has the makings of a great reporter. She could be like Lois Lane sooner rather than later. I think she probably feels like her feelings are being dismissed or that they're being too overprotective. She wanted to prove that she can handle it and she did. I don't know that I like her yet and I'm still UC/Multi-shipping on this show.

Didn't her sudden obsession get explained, though? I think she was struggling for focus and purpose and this just struck a chord with her. It's funny, because Central City isn't dangerous the way Starling is.

The bully liking Iris was so cliche,though.

Eddie and Barry being friends would be great,but poor Eddie will be so hurt when he loses Iris.

I heart Cisco-He is a goofy dork. Screw Wells-I don't like or trust the man and what he did to Bette was disgusting. I mean, with Ronnie at least it wasn't direct. He sent poor Bette to her death and he's just...I can't even.

Quote:
I could understand that for Iris it was like that time when you start dating some guy and your parents warned you off, it just makes you want to date him more. But I was still not buying it. I think Joe and Barry's reactions/protectiveness don't warrant the level of intensity/stubbornness that she's showing. Maybe Iris is just naturally stubborn. I don't know. But really, that's just me. Maybe others see it differently.
No, I agree,but Iris irritates me less this way. She is being super stubborn,but even if it's unwarranted,it's still better than how she usually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Beckett (View Post)
Dude this episode was freakin' awesome!

My first bit of business:

-Wells being fascinated with "A Man of Steel". I had to watch that several times because I loved the tone of voice and his reaction. I died with that Superman reference because he does come from the future and would know Superman (although in what capacity we don't know) but still. A Superman reference nontheless!!!!

-The Wells/West stuff was intense. I know who it is in the comics too but they're really making out the yellow streak to be Wells it seems. I mean it couldn't have been a coincidence right, that Joe was talking to Wells and then shortly after it happens at his home and all his files are gone- unless
Spoiler:
has been keeping tabs on Joe all along.

-Iris/Flash. Loved their scenes. I don't know what else to say here because they are so great especially since Iris is keeping it from Eddie.

-Speaking of Eddie. His scenes with Barry were surprisingly cool and with that in regard it will be interesting if
Spoiler:
. I really enjoyed their boxing scenes.

And I swear this guy is pushing Batman off my top 3 list. In fact I think he did
Do you watch Gotham?

I'm a Marvel fan, so my top 10 and 5 is always mixed. I usually lean towards heroes with powers,though. Iris/Flash makes me feel so bad for Eddie. I mean,I should probably feel bad for Barry since this is the only time she looks at him that way,but he has to push her away.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Against_all_odds; 11-19-2014 at 08:43 PM
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
She is being stubborn and hard-headed, but it's still better than before. She was just a student who didn't know what she wanted before and now she's an ambitious blogger who has the makings of a great reporter. She could be like Lois Lane sooner rather than later. I think she probably feels like her feelings are being dismissed or that they're being too overprotective. She wanted to prove that she can handle it and she did. I don't know that I like her yet and I'm still UC/Multi-shipping on this show.

Didn't her sudden obsession get explained, though? I think she was struggling for focus and purpose and this just struck a chord with her. It's funny, because Central City isn't dangerous the way Starling is.

No, I agree,but Iris irritates me less this way. She is being super stubborn,but even if it's unwarranted,it's still better than how she usually is.
Iris have moments that don't sit well with me for some reason. I can't say that she irritates me, but I'm not as concerned about her as I am with the other characters. I do hope that this arc about her "stubbornness" will turn out good because I really want to like her. For Barry's sake, at least
Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Iris have moments that don't sit well with me for some reason. I can't say that she irritates me, but I'm not as concerned about her as I am with the other characters. I do hope that this arc about her "stubbornness" will turn out good because I really want to like her. For Barry's sake, at least

I want to like her,but I don't. It's funny because I like all the female characters on Arrow,even the crazy ones like Helena and Cupid. She's the least important in the order of characters since Eddie does technically have a bigger role,but I like Caitlin much better. Atm,this arc is making her less annoying and more like Laurel or Felicity. I'm choosing to believe it will, mainly because if she keeps annoying me,it's going to detract from the show. I feel like they're pushing her into being an adult sooner rather than later,which is a good thing. It was a bad idea to make her go from established reporter to a student. How does growing up with Barry mean she couldn't be an established reporter? If anything, it would mean no one will give her grief over her blog. She'd be doing her job and it goes with the territory.

Spoiler:

I think it should be for more than Barry's sake,though. On Doctor Who, his companion had a stupid storyline and we're supposed to like and care about her because The Doctor does. That's a terrible idea and the character itself is supposed to give a reason to like them.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Loyal Fan

^ I liked Helena too! I haven't seen the new Arrow episode so I can't comment on Cupid yet. But I liked her on the promo.

I'm actually more of a Caitlin-Barry shipper now. And maybe it's because I can clearly see how Caitlin fits into Barry's life at the moment. As for Iris, somehow her and Barry's connection got lost to me at some point. I admit that it has more to do with Iris character. There's just something about her that doesn't allow me to connect with her.

Spoiler:
Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Dedicated Fan

There is always a problem with characters that they start the show thinking, "and this is the love interest" because, all too often, they sort of leave it there going into the pilot and early episodes rather than really flushing out the character early on. I get that shows have a lot to introduce and a lot of characters to introduce to the audience, but it is a shame that they usually leave the love interest to be the last flushed out. Like, "You don't know anything about why we have Cisco on the show, so we're going to establish that. Iris is his love interest and you know why she's here, so we'll get more into her character later." It always drives me nuts, but I like CP so far, so I'm willing to give it time.

The other huge problem comes from her being the only major character on the show who isn't allowed to know his secret - probably because she's the love interest, and that's how the shows go. By necessity, that leaves her out of one half of the show's main plots. Which does tend to box the writers into a corner.
Spoiler:

I am in the fortunate position that I actually like all the characters, although I admit I have had to be more patient in waiting for Iris to come into her own as a character that I wish I had to be. That said, I like them all. I don't particularly ship Caitlin and Barry because - presumption about her future aside - the most significant of the "shipping" moments so far has been about how much she loved another guy. I also think DP still comes off a bit more nervous at times, whereas most of the other actors have sort of relaxed into their roles. She has a high-strung delivery, and I find myself often wanting to tell her, "It's okay, girl. You got this. Now take a deep breath." Sometimes she's so wired for sound, that I feel like if you bumped into her, she would strum like a violin. But even with that, I like her and I like her friendship with Barry, as I do all the characters, so this show makes me quite happy every week.