Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg238 (View Post)
Less of rayna would be understandable. Bc she was featured a lot. J/A wasn't featured much in this first ep. Not more than than many of the older eps.
Maybe that is your perception but it isn't really the case. If you take a timer and actually take not only the amount of scene Jonathan and Hayden shared onscreen but the actual airtime all together they had together, they haven't in years if ever. In season 4 before Hayden went away they share the screen like in 402 and one scene in 405. They had one phonecall scene in the finale, one phonecall scene in the episode prior plus one with Noah. 414 to 418 was decent yet not many scene or airtime. And season 3 with everything being pretape for Hayden in the first half they had one scene per episode in the first 5, 6-7-8-9 (went from 3-4) their wedding episode had 3 very short one (shortest wedding ever) 311-312 had very short scene. 313 was all pretape and them actually not being onscreen together (as in they didn't even tape on the same week) 314 had one, 315 nothing, 316 was phonecalls, 317 phone+2 baby scene and then the insanity started. So this many good J/A scenes, I can't recall the last episode maybe 222.

As for not a lot of J/A in promo it's normal, these writers have said and in the past with their other project done the three characters focus thing. It's only normal that S/G and K/W get their turn in episode 2. K/W fans got the short end of the stick in the first part because Kevin was suppose to be in the Wake up scene and wasn't and Will wasn't in the rest of the episode. S/G got stuck being babysitters for the most part of Daphne and Maddie with no storyline of their own.

So basically in the premiere Rayna had the A story, Juliette the B story and Maddie/Daphne the C story. Episode 2 S/G and Will will have A/B and someone else will have scene going by previews order. Then episode 3 will likely be Avery, Deacon and someone else. It's an adjustment when viewers are used to like 61 extremely short scenes devided in 6 act with 2000201201 randoms and our lead cast. And as for the full season trailer most of it is episode 2-3.

Did everyone see the other promo posted in the news thread? Lots of Juliette in it.

Last edited by jbshmdfb; 12-17-2016 at 10:30 AM
Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshmdfb (View Post)
As for not a lot of J/A in promo it's normal, these writers have said and in the past with their other project done the three characters focus thing. It's only normal that S/G and K/W get their turn in episode 2. K/W fans got the short end of the stick in the first part because Kevin was suppose to be in the Wake up scene and wasn't and Will wasn't in the rest of the episode. S/G got stuck being babysitters for the most part of Daphne and Maddie with no storyline of their own.

So basically in the premiere Rayna had the A story, Juliette the B story and Maddie/Daphne the C story. Episode 2 S/G and Will will have A/B and someone else will have scene going by previews order. Then episode 3 will likely be Avery, Deacon and someone else. It's an adjustment when viewers are used to like 61 extremely short scenes devided in 6 act with 2000201201 randoms and our lead cast. And as for the full season trailer most of it is episode 2-3.
I agree with you jb. I was disappointed in the lack of Will because he's my favorite but I'm 100% on board with focusing on fewer characters per episode. Will will have his moments to be the focus as will everyone else. This will be better for all the fans in the long run. We will all end up with better story lines and longer scenes for our favorites. Yes, I was a bit miffed that Kevin wasn't with Will but I'm positive it was merely a scheduling or money reason and not a slight to the fans. I'm sure I will like episode 2 more than 1 but we'll all have our favorites depending on the story lines for that episode. I was happy for all the D/R and J/A fans with this first episode.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

Does anyone have any spec about what Juliette and Avery could be nodding about in the new promo? They look emotional especially Avery. Hope it's not bad news. Hope it's good.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Does anyone have any spec about what Juliette and Avery could be nodding about in the new promo? They look emotional especially Avery. Hope it's not bad news. Hope it's good.
He looks pretty grim. I'm guessing the outcome of the blow up in the bathroom isn't good.
Edited to clarify: I think the outcome of that discussion isn't exactly what he wants it to be. That's just my guess.

Last edited by soup333; 12-17-2016 at 12:12 PM
Old 12-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup333 (View Post)
He looks pretty grim. I'm guessing the outcome of the blow up in the bathroom isn't good.
Edited to clarify: I think the outcome of that discussion isn't exactly what he wants it to be. That's just my guess.
I think the same. My guess is they decided to be over as a couple at least for now because of the situation. Just a guess though, nothing spoiler based.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Maybe that is your perception but it isn't really the case. If you take a timer and actually take not only the amount of scene Jonathan and Hayden shared onscreen but the actual airtime all together they had together, they haven't in years if ever. In season 4 before Hayden went away they share the screen like in 402 and one scene in 405. They had one phonecall scene in the finale, one phonecall scene in the episode prior plus one with Noah. 414 to 418 was decent yet not many scene or airtime. And season 3 with everything being pretape for Hayden in the first half they had one scene per episode in the first 5, 6-7-8-9 (went from 3-4) their wedding episode had 3 very short one (shortest wedding ever) 311-312 had very short scene. 313 was all pretape and them actually not being onscreen together (as in they didn't even tape on the same week) 314 had one, 315 nothing, 316 was phonecalls, 317 phone+2 baby scene and then the insanity started. So this many good J/A scenes, I can't recall the last episode maybe 222.
I agree. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of screentime they had together. But I was also disappointed in how little they talked to each other. It feels worse than last season in that way to me. They keep giving each other long looks. Did we need to spend so much time watching Avery wake up in the van? Why can't they say more to each other about what's going on? It feels like there is a lot of wasted space to me.

Quote:
What's weird about Will is that he found out about Juliette via phone. If he wasn't in Gunnar's house, then where was he? It still seems like he was Kevin's.

Quote:
Did everyone see the other promo posted in the news thread? Lots of Juliette in it.
No! Because once again, Avery gets the short end of the stick with barely a second of screentime in a promo. I don't know why CMT doesn't like the character, but that's the only thing I can conclude from these promos. I hope to God, it's not a sign of what's to come this season.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
I've found it interesting in how opinions have differed. A lot of longstanding fans have been pleased, people not as invested or that have just started watching have been less so. Of course that's not scientific, just an observation.

There is a risk of disappointment with hype. The more something is built up the more likely it is to not meet expectations. I've found that to be true with a lot of movies, where I wasn't as impressed as others who gushed over it.

Of course devoted fans want to be excited and want new showrunners to lead the show in a different way then Dee did. We've only seen a bit. Promos focus on different things. Right now a full season trailer is an oxymoron since the full season hasn't even been written yet or filmed. And with this new way that they're doing things, only focusing on certain characters in each episode, it's more likely people will not love an episode that features characters they don't care as much about.
I have had too high expectations for Javery lol. But maybe and hopefully there's still a lot of good stuff coming for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal222 (View Post)
I agree. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of screentime they had together. But I was also disappointed in how little they talked to each other. It feels worse than last season in that way to me. They keep giving each other long looks. Did we need to spend so much time watching Avery wake up in the van? Why can't they say more to each other about what's going on? It feels like there is a lot of wasted space to me.
That is likely why I was kind of disappointed and got the feeling of it being so little. I had very high expectations. Let's hope this gets better in future eps.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Total Fan

In one of the promos, where Juliette and Avery seem to be arguing with each other...the one where she says something like "Why are you helping? We both know you don't want to be here (or do it?)" and Avery angrily says, "You always push people away. B/C God forbid that you would ever let anyone try to help you!" If you look at it closely when Avery says his part there is a man in the lower left hand side of the picture. It's not in all of the promos just that particular one. Don't know if they are at the hospital or some other public place, or if Avery and Juliette are even in the same room together and he is saying that to someone else perhaps in another scene. Also she is wearing a different shirt in that scene...one shirt was a plain black pull-over and then she is wearing what appears to be a bathrobe or a top with a collar. Just thinking this is creative cutting of two different scenes to make it appear as one.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville fan (View Post)
In one of the promos, where Juliette and Avery seem to be arguing with each other...the one where she says something like "Why are you helping? We both know you don't want to be here (or do it?)" and Avery angrily says, "You always push people away. B/C God forbid that you would ever let anyone try to help you!" If you look at it closely when Avery says his part there is a man in the lower left hand side of the picture. It's not in all of the promos just that particular one. Don't know if they are at the hospital or some other public place, or if Avery and Juliette are even in the same room together and he is saying that to someone else perhaps in another scene. Also she is wearing a different shirt in that scene...one shirt was a plain black pull-over and then she is wearing what appears to be a bathrobe or a top with a collar. Just thinking this is creative cutting of two different scenes to make it appear as one.
Good eye, yeah in the season trailer where we see him walking away it seem like there is someone else there. Either way as long as we are far away from the insanity of the past season and away from them getting other love interest, I am along for the ride, no matter how long it takes for them to be together for good. As long as they share scenes and it's great writing, I am in.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Total Fan

Here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSsGJT8K54
Old 12-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville fan (View Post)
Good eye. He says that to her in her bathroom. That looks like his reflection to me. The bit right before is in her living/dining room.

There are a few added scenes in this version of the trailer and we don't see her telling him not to help her in this one.

ETA - Not sure I can link the 502 promo here (on my phone) but it's the one where we see her yelling at him first. That appears to be one scene where they're arguing in the bathroom. Looks like he walks away/turns around after he says that. The scene where they are both looking kind of grim and she's nodding must be another time (later maybe) or another day - the same day she goes to the church with Emily because she's wearing a different shirt.

Edited again because I was able to link it. I feel accomplished.

Last edited by soup333; 12-18-2016 at 07:32 AM
Old 12-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Good eye. He says that to her in her bathroom. That looks like his reflection to me. The bit right before is in her living/dining room.

There are a few added scenes in this version of the trailer and we don't see her telling him not to help her in this one.

ETA - Not sure I can link the 502 promo here (on my phone) but it's the one where we see her yelling at him first. That appears to be one scene where they're arguing in the bathroom. Looks like he walks away/turns around after he says that. The scene where they are both looking kind of grim and she's nodding must be another time (earlier maybe) or another day - the same day she goes to the church with Emily because she's wearing a different shirt.
Yes, I see what you mean. It is his reflection. Well, that changes just about everything I wrote previously. Back to the drawing board.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal222 (View Post)
I was looking all over for this comment but couldn't find it. I think this is just a different type of storytelling where the looks and gestures mean as much as the words. Several times we had scenes where no words were spoken but conversation had taken place. When Maddie tells Rayna to fly safe, both Daphne and Maddie give her a look. We didn't need to hear them say anything to know what they were thinking. And when Maddie tells Deacon she's sorry and his response is, "Well, don't tell me," he holds it for a beat, long enough for him to blink. I felt that was a nonverbal reference to the fact that they haven't spoken about everything that went on with her emancipation.

So we're not really wasting time watching Avery wake up, we're watching Juliette watch Avery wake up. We're watching Juliette watch Avery carry her across the field. Those were looong looks, very purposeful. What is she thinking during those moments?

To me it's a more literary style versus the more trashy romance novel style we had in S4. There's a time and place for both, I suppose. This pace feels way more true and real to this show than what we had before and it'll be an adjustment for folks to get used to it.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

So we're not really wasting time watching Avery wake up, we're watching Juliette watch Avery wake up. We're watching Juliette watch Avery carry her across the field. Those were looong looks, very purposeful. What is she thinking during those moments?
ITA I loved those moments and felt they had their place to show Juliette's state of mind and to show show not only was their previous conversation on her mind but the lead up to the issues arrising like we saw in the promo. The girl's guard is way up and she is worried but she loves him. But protecting herself is like second nature to her, she needs to accept that she has to be vulnerable and need people all issues that were part of the reason their marriage didn't make it.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I was looking all over for this comment but couldn't find it. I think this is just a different type of storytelling where the looks and gestures mean as much as the words. Several times we had scenes where no words were spoken but conversation had taken place. When Maddie tells Rayna to fly safe, both Daphne and Maddie give her a look. We didn't need to hear them say anything to know what they were thinking. And when Maddie tells Deacon she's sorry and his response is, "Well, don't tell me," he holds it for a beat, long enough for him to blink. I felt that was a nonverbal reference to the fact that they haven't spoken about everything that went on with her emancipation.

To me it's a more literary style versus the more trashy romance novel style we had in S4. There's a time and place for both, I suppose. This pace feels way more true and real to this show than what we had before and it'll be an adjustment for folks to get used to it.
I agree with all of this. I keep remembering the comment Chip made about the bridge scene in the pilot, when there was quiet time between Deacon and Rayna - no words, but so much conversation happened in that silence. I think we just got numbed by the drive-by pace that developed over time and now it takes a minute to remember what we loved about the show in the beginning. That's what we're getting now.

I also agree that it will take a minute to get used to it. I, for one, plan to just luxuriate in it. This was what I loved so much about Marshall and Ed's other shows and I can't wait to get swept up in that all over again.