Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Master Fan

Nice OP Issi!

I'd like to be added. Sean Teale is very nice to look at. I like Conde so far...but I did happen across some troubling RL info about him. Yep Conde was real! Who knew!? I didn't...but I hope show Conde is a bit different than RL Conde...
A_shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for starting this thread Issi

I liked him in the premiere and I would like if Francis and him were friends but knowing what happened in real life makes me not trust him too much

Toby Regbo
Regbo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_shiningstar (View Post)
Nice OP Issi!

I'd like to be added. Sean Teale is very nice to look at. I like Conde so far...but I did happen across some troubling RL info about him. Yep Conde was real! Who knew!? I didn't...but I hope show Conde is a bit different than RL Conde...
Tbh I hope they follow history with his character. I only found out about him and the history behind him when we found out he was going to be in season 2.
I think it would make for an interesting storyline and how Francis and Mary as Catholic royals will deal with having a protestant around, to maybe cause some trouble.
There is so much potential for a great story, if the writers follow through with history.

"My Angel"- Queen Victoria
My Queen - Prince Albert
Jessiegabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Elite Fan

Mandy (itsmemandy, it's Mandy your name? ) that gif... I ship them! Hope it'll happen later

Robin, I added you

I have no idea how Condé in RL was, have to google it
De Medici Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reign_demedicifan (View Post)
Mandy (itsmemandy, it's Mandy your name? ) that gif... I ship them! Hope it'll happen later
Yep Mandy is my name ! I hope it will happen too !!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Extreme Fan

Add me please! I'm so glad he's been added to the show. The French Wars of Religion are so fascinating to me and I've always greatly admired the Bourbon and Coligny families. Sean is a good actor too, so hopefully it should make for a good story line.

Louis was once actually in quite serious negotiations to marry Elizabeth I, while she was still a princess, during the reign of Edward VI. Elizabeth remained an ally to the Bourbon family throughout the wars of religion and even sent money to Louis's sister in law the Queen of Navarre (Henry II's first cousin). Conde's rebellions against the Valois family attracted many English volunteers including Walter Raleigh, who would later become famous for introducing tobacco and potatoes to England after his expeditions to America. I mention this because this could fit in nicely with the story line they established last year. Even though historically Conde didn't have much of a personal relationship with Mary.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Elite Fan

shut_uo_ste, added you, thank you for all the infos.. really interesting facts I'm looking forward to see what Laurie has for him
De Medici Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 (View Post)
Thanks for starting this thread Issi

I liked him in the premiere and I would like if Francis and him were friends but knowing what happened in real life makes me not trust him too much
I think it was something you posted Sheila about Conde in the MF couples thread that made me go - "oh no...that's not good!" Prior to that I knew very little about him.
A_shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Master Fan

I read about it in a post from Kayeberrie and then did some research. If they stick to history, Condé is definitely not a friend of Francis

Toby Regbo
Old 10-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

Yeah I read Kayeberrie's post and the information I found out was heartbreaking! I want to like his character! I want to to be a friend/ally to Francis, but I have a feeling this will not be the case
Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Master Fan

Literally heartbreaking Hope we never have to see that in the show

Toby Regbo
Old 10-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Extreme Fan

Conde didn't burn Francis's heart, if that's what you're referring to. He was leading the capture of Orleans against the De Guise forces, when during the fighting, a mob broke in and looted/burnt the church that Francis's heart was housed in and as such it was destroyed. The tomb of Louis XI (who had been dead for nearly a century) was also destroyed by the mob. This is actually (somewhat bizarrely) not that uncommon in French history. During the revolution many monarchs tombs were broken/destroyed, including that of Francis's sibling's Henry and Margaret. Their tombs were smashed and bones thrown everywhere by the revolutionaries.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Loyal Fan

^^

And Conde still led the invasion. Which made a domino effect on the events after that.

You can say, its the mob because its easier to blame a huge number of people. Still, Conde led the invasion for his cause and everything done after that was credited to that.

That's what makes it soo sad in wars and calamities. The bombs, fires etc. don't only hit targets (even mis-hit them) but also the areas surrounding them. Its the nature of the beast.
shebacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Extreme Fan

I think you're getting into bigger questions there about who's ultimately responsible for atrocities committed in war/by governments. It's a hard question that doesn't really have a straight answer. For example in 1560 after the Amboise conspiracy, around 1500 Protestants were hung from iron hooks or nooses until they died in front of the French court. Francis and Mary watched this quite happily apparently. The order for these executions no doubt came from De Guise, but, he was representing Francis government, so was it Francis's fault?

I just want to point out that i'm not particularly anti- Valois (in fact I love them and find them fascinating). But, I don't really like that people keep saying on this board that Conde and others were villains in real life. They weren't. These were bloody times and many atrocities were committed on both sides. Who the characters are on the show (and how I feel about them) are quite different from the historical figures.

Francis is no doubt going to be shown as very tolerant in the show. But, in reality he was very much in the 'death to Protestants camp' and was happy for De Guise to continue the very stringent laws against Protestants that had been put in place by his father. It was these laws that ignited the Wars of Religion.

Anyway, I'm getting way off topic. So let's just say I'm excited to see what Sean brings to the show.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Loyal Fan

^^

War, any kind of war, costs MORE than what meets the eye. The after-effects don't go away in an instant. Nor you can take back what is lost.
shebacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread