Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

And you can always count on Alex to say something smart or funny.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

The one about violence vs nudity is sooooooo true!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's one of my favorites.

Freaking out over nudity doesn't make sense.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know. Me personally...in movies/tv shows, I'd rather see nudity than people getting shot and killed and whatnot.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I myself am not bothered by either. But if I had a kid... nudity on tv wouldn't be a big deal, because like Alex said, it's natural.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Only time violence bothers me is when it's super gory and you can...like hear it. Some movies do it too well!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Any movie in particular?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's usually movies with stabbing. I can handle most stuff. But stabbing is just...
Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I see. I'm used to it, I think.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ok..anyways...let's go back to Alex and his interviews
Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Alright. What's your opinion on what he said about his love life?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love what he said. It's so true though! He has time. He's going to be 38...still young. As long as he's happy, that's all that matters to me

When it comes to this board, I'm going to try and keep speculation about his love life and whatnot away from the threads. He's so private that I think it would be wrong to discuss it...unless he talks about it in interviews
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
“I really liked how we leave Eric at the end of this show. I’m very happy with it. Hopefully fans will be as well.”

When he’s not sucking blood and casting smoldering glares as vampire Eric Northman on HBO’s True Blood, now wrapping up its final season, Alexander Skarsgård is happily enjoying utopia in The Giver, in theaters Friday.

Or maybe it just seems that way: the film, based on Lois Lowry’s young-adult classic, is set in a community seemingly free of suffering, but full of painful secrets. Skarsgård plays the father of Jonas (Brenton Thwaites); when Jonas learns what his dad is really up to at work, he tries to save the community from its own rules with the help of Jeff Bridges’ titular wise elder.

Here, the Swedish actor talks with TIME about the young-adult classic, hanging out with Taylor Swift (who has a small but vital role in the film) and what True Blood has in store for Eric Northman.

TIME: Is The Giver big in Sweden? I feel like everyone I know in America read it as a kid.

Alexander Skarsgård: Not really — it’s not part of the canon like it is in the States. I heard about it when I came to the States, but I only read it a year and a half ago.

What drew you to the project, then?

I’ve always been interested in those Orwellian dystopian novels, like Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World and obviously Orwell’s 1984. I thought, this — even though this caters to a younger audience — was really interesting and scary. It was a character I was fascinated by, someone who could do these horrible, horrible things but still be innocent in a weird way. What is morality? If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t understand the concept of death, is what he’s doing wrong or not?

How do you play a character that, by nature, has no highs and lows without being flat?

To me, it was about potential. I wanted the audience to feel that there’s more potential. So when he’s interacting with other members of the family, you want to feel that he could have been a fantastic dad, a fantastic husband. Because of the circumstances, there’s no opportunity for that. That made it really sad. I found that interesting because if he’s just a robot, then there’s no life, there’s nothing interesting there. I wanted to feel that this was a human being, a real man who was obviously shaped by this society and the drugs he takes with his morning injections. He’s numb.

The Giver, like much of the YA fiction that eventually followed it — The Hunger Games, Divergent — is about making choices and deciding, as a reader, what kind of person you’d be in these situations. Would your 12-year-old self have been a Jonas or someone who follows the rules?

I think we’d all like to say we would have been like Jonas because we’re more comfortable saying that, but I’m afraid almost all of us wouldn’t be like Jonas. We’re all the heroes of our own lives, and when we put ourselves in those situations, we always think we’re going to be extremely heroic, but obviously most of us wouldn’t. How would that even be possible to do when you don’t understand what pain, suffering and love are?

The story is timeless — was there anything that needed to change as it came to the big screen decades later?

Not really. It was more about small things, like using holograms instead of screens. A lot has changed in the past 20 years when you envision the future. I know that Lois Lowry spent a lot of time growing up on military bases, so it was that idea in her head. I like that in the beginning of the film it looks inviting — that makes it more interesting when you’re drawn in. “This looks nice, I could live here!” But once you get inside, then you start to see what it’s really like to live in a society like that.

Jeff Bridges has been wanting to make this movie for nearly two decades. Did he share his vision with you?

Jeff was absolutely incredible. He wanted to direct it at first, but finally he was old enough to play the Giver, so Phillip Noyce came aboard instead. Jeff and I only had one or two scenes together, but he was always on set with the most amazing energy, and that spread to everyone. It was really inspiring to see an actor with his body of work — he’s a legend — so curious. Watching him take direction from Phillip was unbelievable. To see Jeff Bridges, working on a project that he knows so well, still in that creative space of wanting to collaborate, wanting to learn, wanting to grow and wanting to surprise himself, was really fantastic to see.

Many of the characters don’t cross paths in the film. Was it isolating to shoot?

Jeff created at an atmosphere where we really bonded and we hung out. We were on location in Cape Town, very far from our loved ones back home, so we all hung out on weekends. Jeff is a very social guy. We would throw these big dinner parties and he would always bring his guitar. The only thing was I had to wrap early, because I was going on an expedition to the South Pole right after The Giver. I only had one scene with Meryl, but I was dying to work with her. It’s a scene where she shows up in our home in a hologram, and I had to be done with the film before she could get there, so unfortunately we were never on set [together].

Wait, if Jeff is bringing his guitar, did you have jam sessions with Taylor Swift when she was shooting her scenes?

Yeah, absolutely. We had a piano in the hotel lobby. People would take turns and play the piano and sing. I was better on the couch with my beer, howling along. It was really lovely, actually.

Let’s talk about True Blood. That dream sequence between Eric and Jason got people very excited. Can you tease anything about their romantic-sexual futures as the final episodes approach? The people need to know.

I can’t say much about the plot, but that was a very memorable scene. Ryan [Kwanten] is so funny. It was a very tough night for me — I couldn’t stop laughing. He’s a hilarious guy. But we knew that scene was coming. We shot that scene where he drinks my blood in season six. There wasn’t a real plan to follow through, but then when we shot it, it was strangely sensual, and Ryan and I just looked at each other after shooting that scene last year like, “We’re definitely going to see that dream sequence.” Sure enough, a couple months later we got the script, and there it was.

What was your reaction when you saw how the series ends?

I’ve been really happy with this whole season. To me, that’s Eric at his best, when he’s got one clear objective: revenge. When he’s that focused and determined, it’s so much fun to play that and hopefully watch as well. The fact that I’ve gotten to work with Kristin Bauer [van Straten] so much this season — I always miss her when we shoot seasons and we don’t get to work that much. It’s been great finishing this series side by side with Kristin. I really liked how we leave Eric at the end of this show. I’m very happy with it. Hopefully fans will be as well.
Source

ETA -- Radio interview transcript! -- Source!

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/ASkarsLibra...85265178235120

Alex was interviewed by the Mark and Mercedes in the Morning radio show today (he called in from London) on Mix 94.1 FM Las Vegas. Here is a transcript Santress made of the interview. You can also listen to it here:

http://mix941fm.cbslocal.com/2014/08...ard-interview/

Enjoy!

Mark: It's Alexander Skarsgård. How are you?

Alex: Uh, pretty good. Good morning.

Mark: Welcome to the show. Lots going on for you. You have The Giver coming out this weekend.

Alex: I do. Yeah.

Mercedes: I remember reading that book, and haven't seen the movie yet, but did you feel like it was pretty true to the book?

Alex: I do. Absolutely. Lois [Lowry] was very involved in the making of the film as well. I think it's a classic novel and people love it and you want to stay true to it but at the same time you want the die hard fans of the novel to be surprised by the film so you kind of have to take some creative liberty there.

Mercedes: I'm so excited for that one to come out. You've actually, between that and True Blood, you've had some other critically acclaimed movies coming out. I mean, you've been a busy guy. Is there any break in sight for you? I mean once everything slows down are you going to take a little vacation or something?

Alex: Well, I'm in London at the moment working on a film. I've been out here for three months and we've got about 2 1/2 months to go so I'm halfway through here. Once I'm done with this, we'll see, but I might, yeah, I might go on vacation. (laughs)

Mark: May we suggest Las Vegas? It's a great little destination we have over here.

Alex: Yeah, exactly. I just need to chill and relax and Vegas will be the perfect place for that.

Mercedes: I always wondered like when you're doing True Blood and you're a vampire so your complexion needs to be pale...Is there anything in your contract that says you cannot go to sunny destinations, you cannot get a tan, etc...?

Alex: Not in my contract but I try to do my best to kind of stay out of the sun. They painted us white so the problem is if you're too tan, you turn almost grey when they put that white makeup on. Um, so I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible but no more. No more!

Mercedes: I know but a lot of people are really sad about that but it's got to be exciting to see that following and that dedication.

Alex: It's been unbelievable. These past seven years...they've really changed my life. I mean it. It's been an incredible adventure. When I left a couple months ago... When we shot the final episode, I was so sad. It was incredibly emotional and I cried for a week after that. It hit me much harder than I thought it would.

Mark: It seems like a really difficult task for the people that produce and make TV shows to figure out when a good stopping point is and when to call it quits. Was this the right time?

Alex: Yeah.

Mark: Was it the perfect time to end True Blood?

Alex: I think so because you don't want to milk it too long. You want to end on a high note. You want people to still be engaged and excited about the show. I would hate to end the show where people go, "Oh, are you guys still shooting? I didn't know that show was still on."

I think the show deserves better than that so you want to go out with a bang while the show is still popular. So, I do think the timing is right. That said, it was so incredibly emotional, obviously, to say goodbye to everyone and to say goodbye to a character that you've played for seven years. It's a long time.

Mercedes: It's a really long time. What did the True Blood that you would drink on the show taste like? I always wondered.

Alex: Uh, it was horrible.

Mercedes: Really?

Alex: Yeah. I tried it once. Again, my character doesn't drink it on the show. Fortunately...

Mercedes: He drinks the real stuff.

Alex: He drinks the real stuff. He's not into that but I tried it once and it's quite sweet and sticky and syrupy. So, yeah, not a huge fan.

Mark: It actually sounds kind of good compared to the alternative.

Alex: No

Mercedes: Your name was thrown out quite a bit to play Christian Grey in the 50 Shades of Grey movie. Were you ever approached on that one?

Alex: No...I mean I know the producer (a little?) but no...
Yeah, I wasn't quite right for that.

Mercedes: Is this a rumor---> that your first childhood crush was from the movie Tootsie?

Mercedes: Jessica Lange?

Alex: Yeah, it's funny that you should mention that because it was on television last night here in England and I was watching it after work and it was incredible.

I mean, first of all, it's an amazing film so if people out there haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's a phenomenal film and, yeah, that was my first crush. That was my first kinda...I remember watching it as a kid and I'm like, "I'm feeling something. What's going on here? Why? I can't stop staring at her."

And I still get it. Like watching it last night...she's amazing in it. She's adorable. So, yeah, I think it was a pretty good first crush. Don't you?

Mercedes: I think it's an excellent one. She is super hot in that. I'm just wondering if you guys have ever crossed paths after that.
Have you told her that or had the opportunity to meet her?

Alex: No. I saw her at like an Oscar party. I think it was last year and I was too nervous to approach her and I was just standing there admiring her. I thought about approaching her and telling her that she was my first crush when I was 10 years old or eight years old .(laughs) No, I didn't have the courage.

Mark: Well, I'll tell you what... Speaking of crushes...every female in this building, no exaggeration, has a huge crush on you but I think the biggest is our program director and we were wondering, before we let you go, if we could conference you with her? We'll call her office. Would you mind telling her that you just got done doing an interview with Mark and Mercedes and you've never done this, it's not like you, but you need to let her know that it was the worst interview that you've ever done and these guys have no idea what they're doing? (laughter)

Alex: What's her name?

Mark: Her name's Charisse.

Mark: O.k, o.k. Here we go...

Mercedes: Alright. She already hates us as it is. Let's get her to really hate us.

(phone ringing noises)

Charisse: Hello

Alex: Hey, is this Charisse?

Charisse: Yes.

Alex: Hey, this is Alexander Skarsgård.

Charisse: Oh my God! Hi! (laughter)

Alex: Hey, I don't know if you know but I was just on your show here.

Charisse: Oh my God! Wow! (laughs)

Alex: Yeah, yeah, and everything went really, really well. They're so nice. They're fantastic.
So, I'm just calling to see what you're doing tonight...if you're busy or...?

Charisse: I'm doing nothing. (laughs)

Alex: Oh, really?

Charisse: Watching re-runs of True Blood. I'm so bummed that it's ending. (laughter)

Alex: Oh, o.k.,o.k... cause I'm in London but if I can jump on a flight, I'll come over to...
You're in Vegas, right?

Charisse: Yes, I am. Yes.

Alex: Alright. I'll see if I can make it happen...

Charisse: That would awesome. (laughs)

Alex: Or maybe we can just go for a coffee or something?
If not, maybe I'll call you next time I'm in town. Would that be o.k.?

Charisse: That would be awesome! Oh my God!

Mark: Hey Charisse, he audibled. He was supposed to tell you how bad we were and that we were horrible interviewers.

Mercedes: But he's so nice that he asked you out on a date and I'm officially jealous right now.

Charisse: You should be! (@ Mercedes) You are a gorgeous creature. (@ Alex) I'm so bummed that True Blood is ending.

Mark: Alright, Charisse, we'll let you go.

Alex: Thank you. Enjoy the final few episodes then.

Mercedes: Alexander, I think you just got us a raise. Thank you. Good luck on The Giver out this week. We are so excited to see it. You're a fantastic actor and thanks for coming on the show.

Alex: Thank you, guys. I appreciate you having me.

Mark: Take care. Have a good one. O.k. Bye.

Source: Mark and Mercedes @ cbslocal.com, Transcript by Santress, Pic credits: Originals: Zimbio

If you're on Facebook and want to share this, please click the SHARE option in this post and share it from HERE instead of reposting.

If you're on tumblr and want to share this, please reblog it from here:

http://santress.tumblr.com/post/94864426743/alex-was-interviewed-by-the-mark-and-mercedes-in

We know this doesn't have the bells and whistles of an edit or a GIF but it did take some time to do, so please reblog/share instead of reposting. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new ones. I'm gonna have to read them later.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sure thing! I"m happy someone did a transcript of the radio interview! I have a feeling you might have had no luck listening since you're in Europe.