Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really liked the Pilot. It had some rough edges but all Pilots do.

Cobie

I need more time to warm up to most of the characters. Was a bit underwhelmed by Skye and Ward, they seemed a bit cliché and the acting felt off but hey it was just the Pilot, so I'll give them a chance.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Total Fan

I loved seeing Cobie and I hope she shows up more.

icon by

Sarah
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Loyal Fan

I had many distractions last night but a few things were striking.
I thought these people would be humans, like James Bond. It will be hard to memorize a new set of powers.
In their world the Avengers exist, but do the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Spider-Man and their enemies exist? Ant-Man is coming and I don't have much hope for the movie, but he could debut here.
I finally remembered: SHIELD's enemy was called Hydra. Centipede is a cute adjustment.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but it's not as bad as I feared it might be.

Overall I enjoyed it. I watched it two times and the things I liked and didn't like still stuck out. It's very much in the Marvel Cinematic Universe which I am happy about. I liked the special effects, music, the structure of the storytelling, most of the characters/cast, and their introductions/interactions. I liked that they laid the ground work of future backstory for all the characters. There were times that it got slow in a boring way and the character of Skye was a mostly over the top. Also the interaction between Grant and Skye felt mostly forced. I hope they tone both down in future episodes. If they can work out the kinks I think it will be great. It has a lot of potential.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

I think that if I hadn't seen all the promos and various footage from the pilot, and didn't see any of the hype, I probably would have liked it more. But I knew that going in, and the stuff I didn't see before really made the pilot for me.

I was, however, hoping for more focus on the assembling of the team, but I got over that quickly.

Also, I do feel like Ward needs to be worked on a bit more. I think if they turn him into a John Casey type of character (which I see a little bit of already), that would be great.

Quote:
It has a lot of potential.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think that might be the case for me as well with all the promos and hype. I tried not to it effect me, but I think it did to some degree anyway.

I think that they didn't focus on the assembly because they were just getting the team together. I'm sure we'll see that in the future episodes.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Moderator Manager

I've watched it twice as well and still enjoyed it. I realized that they probably have shown a lot of scenes in the teaser because some scenes were really familiar to me. Or I may have watched too many previews already. Nevertheless it still made my viewing enjoyable overall.

I was also hoping that they'd focus more on assembling the team and they got Skye pretty quickly too. I was hoping that she'd be reluctant at least and it seemed to me that she wanted this for so long. I also agree with Grant/Skye. I don't want it to feel forced and I want it to go it's natural course because if they do it right, these two have potential.

I do love FitzSimmons. I get the vibe that they're more brother-sister based on how they interact with each other. They really shined in this episode and I expect more of this in future episodes. I would also like them to focus more on Agent Melinda May. Amongst the team, she got very little and I'd like to see her work some action scenes with Agent Ward. I think Agent Ward has a potential to be a really likeable character if we see him do more. I think he has an impressive resume to begin with. He got good aim with Mike in the latter part of the episode, that was impressive.

Still that's only the Pilot so it's expected to be a bit scattered and all over the place but still it was enjoyable to watch. I'm going on to the second episode with less hype but still looking forward to seeing what lies ahead.

ETA: I've started the next episode discussion thread which we'll have up soon.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 09-26-2013 at 12:47 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *OldHollywoodStarlet* (View Post)
It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but it's not as bad as I feared it might be.

Overall I enjoyed it. I watched it two times and the things I liked and didn't like still stuck out. It's very much in the Marvel Cinematic Universe which I am happy about. I liked the special effects, music, the structure of the storytelling, most of the characters/cast, and their introductions/interactions. I liked that they laid the ground work of future backstory for all the characters. There were times that it got slow in a boring way and the character of Skye was a mostly over the top. Also the interaction between Grant and Skye felt mostly forced. I hope they tone both down in future episodes. If they can work out the kinks I think it will be great. It has a lot of potential.
that's how it was for me as well, but I think that has more to do with my own expectations than the show itself. It would take Heroes levels of suckage before i'd stop watching though.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I do love FitzSimmons. I get the vibe that they're more brother-sister based on how they interact with each other.
Same, but I'm all for that. Their chemistry is great and they stand out together, so that's all I was hoping for going in.

I rewatched a few Fitzsimmons/Ward moments earlier (and made a gifset), and I just love Ward reacting to them all up in his personal space. That was probably the best use of his character in the pilot (as well as the action stuff). More of that, I say!

Last edited by gingerly; 09-26-2013 at 01:41 PM
Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 (View Post)
I had many distractions last night but a few things were striking.
I thought these people would be humans, like James Bond. It will be hard to memorize a new set of powers.
In their world the Avengers exist, but do the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Spider-Man and their enemies exist? Ant-Man is coming and I don't have much hope for the movie, but he could debut here.
I finally remembered: SHIELD's enemy was called Hydra. Centipede is a cute adjustment.
I'm pretty sure they don't. Marvel Comics over all still owns the characters, but Marvel Studios have lost the rights to use them in film and I'm guessing that goes for television too. Daredevil can be talked about though because Marvel Studios got the rights back to him during the summer. Oh, I'm sure they can infer to other superheros, but they can't use the word mutants or otherwise Fox can sue their pants off. I know Hugh Jackman keeps talking about wanting to make an appearance in the next Avengers movie, but unless Fox agrees, he'll have to keep hoping from afar.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranstarr (View Post)
I'm pretty sure they don't. Marvel Comics over all still owns the characters, but Marvel Studios have lost the rights to use them in film and I'm guessing that goes for television too. Daredevil can be talked about though because Marvel Studios got the rights back to him during the summer. Oh, I'm sure they can infer to other superheros, but they can't use the word mutants or otherwise Fox can sue their pants off. I know Hugh Jackman keeps talking about wanting to make an appearance in the next Avengers movie, but unless Fox agrees, he'll have to keep hoping from afar.
Is there a list of which characters could eventually appear. I thought Daredevil eventually did join the Avengers in the comics. Scarlet Witch is coming in the next Avengers movie and she joined with her brother Pietro (Quicksilver) in issue 16. They left in issue 30 when they felt their powers declining and thought they might not be mutants but empowered by minerals in their mountainous terrain. I don't know if that was ever addressed again in the comics.
What about villains? They fought Dr. Doom in issue 25, Count Nefaria in issue 13, the Mole man in 12 and 17 and the Beetle in issues 26-28 (all regular foes of non-Avenger heroes.)
Does Marvel-or DC Comics exist on their planet? Did they mention any real persons in this episode, or national boundaries?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronomySnap (View Post)
I rewatched a few Fitzsimmons/Ward moments earlier (and made a gifset), and I just love Ward reacting to them all up in his personal space. That was probably the best use of his character in the pilot (as well as the action stuff). More of that, I say!
I agree. And Coulson kept putting him in his place which was hilarious. But wow, Ward can diffuse a nuclear bomb? Holy ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 (View Post)
Is there a list of which characters could eventually appear. I thought Daredevil eventually did join the Avengers in the comics. Scarlet Witch is coming in the next Avengers movie and she joined with her brother Pietro (Quicksilver) in issue 16. They left in issue 30 when they felt their powers declining and thought they might not be mutants but empowered by minerals in their mountainous terrain. I don't know if that was ever addressed again in the comics.
What about villains? They fought Dr. Doom in issue 25, Count Nefaria in issue 13, the Mole man in 12 and 17 and the Beetle in issues 26-28 (all regular foes of non-Avenger heroes.)
Does Marvel-or DC Comics exist on their planet? Did they mention any real persons in this episode, or national boundaries?
No there isn't a list of characters that would eventually appear and I'd rather that it be that way so I'm surprised. I'm not sure about villains but based on some of the promo stuff I've seen, we'll probably get them in the next few episodes. As for other Marvel characters and DC Comics crossovers, I don't think that's going to happen. I know they've made it clear that X-Men won't be appearing on the show and we should not expect The Avengers to make cameos too.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

They aired this last night so I finally got to watch it.

Some characters were over exaggerated (Skye in particular) but I liked the establishment of the back stories. I was happy to see Coulson and Maria and I liked the centipede story. Some parts felt like it was all action and I would quite like a more structured story telling. Good episode and keen to see where it goes from here.

"Growing old will suck, but as long as I have you, I will feel invincible."
Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Master Fan

Watched it again so i'll give my thoughts on it now:

Liked:

-Seeing Maria Hill (Apologies to HIMYM fans. I wish the show was over and she could devoted time to this show.)

- The mystery surrounding Coulson and what he can't know. I have my theories of what he it could be.

- The duo of Fitz/Simmons.

- Melinda May. Complete bad ass.

---------------

Didn't Like:

Some overextragation of the certain characters. (Skye mainly but opinion will change or not.)

I have to agree the whole Skye/Grant scenes weren't really natural. I hope this changes since I think that will be the couple that will be pushed for the audience.

The whole Extremis thing mainly because I didn't like IM3. (Not gonna go on a tirade why I hated the film. Since I'll be here all day.)
------------

Overall, the show is good. I hope it lasts and it provides a good alternative if you don't like or watch Arrow.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Survivor (View Post)

Didn't Like:

Some overextragation of the certain characters. (Skye mainly but opinion will change or not.)

I have to agree the whole Skye/Grant scenes weren't really natural. I hope this changes since I think that will be the couple that will be pushed for the audience.

The whole Extremis thing mainly because I didn't like IM3. (Not gonna go on a tirade why I hated the film. Since I'll be here all day.)
------------

Overall, the show is good. I hope it lasts and it provides a good alternative if you don't like or watch Arrow.
Haha, overall I didn't like IM3 too. I still have a soft spot for the first movie. But I digress.

I agree that this show has potential. We'll know for sure how the show will progress 3 or 4 weeks in.