Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2021, 08:27 AM
Absolute Fan

I think the fact that the show changed showrunners from season 2 onwards also played a big part, you can tell that many things changed after Todd and Darren replaced Ed Decter, the writing style changed and became darker, they improved Clary's character but even the costumes and props and the overall tone of the show changed. While I do think that overall seasons 2 and 3 improved, but there's one thing that Ed did better was he developed the Clace relationship much better than Todd and Darren did, Ed actually gave Clace the attention and focus that they actually deserved in season 1, while all Todd and Darren did was constantly trying to separate them and sort of ruined their lovestory especially in the end despite the fact that they were the main couple of the story.

Yeah they certainly changed a lot of things in the show, I can understand why many book fans were upset with all the changes, as a book fan you would expect the show to follow more closely to the original source material, I heard even Cassandra Clare herself disliked the show because of all the changes they made. But on the other hand I think the fact that the show is so different can also have its upside, because being so different from the books is what keeps the show interesting, it keeps the book fans guessing about what's going to happen next. I think it would be boring if they had just copied everything from the books because book fans would already know what would happen since they've already read the books. So I think it can be a good thing that the show is so different, although there are certain storylines from the books that I wish the show didn't change, such as Jocelyn's death, I wish they didn't kill her but I can understand that they used her death as a plot device for Clary's character development. And of course give Clace the happy ending they deserved like they had in the books.

Anyway, Kat's new horror movie with Luke Baines was just released today on iTunes, Amazon and VOD:

Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's possible that the changing of hands had something to do with it for sure And it is also true that Cassandra was not a fan of the show which is too bad, but also a testament to how the source material continued to be disregarded. Like I've said, I don't mind some things being added to the story. Certain subplots and the like. The show has a lot of time to fill and the story in the books can only fill so much. Plus the show didn't always have the budget required to do some of the scenes from the book properly so I can understand that. I don't like when characters don't end up where they are meant to or when big parts of their characterization or storyline are thrown away completely. It's about striking a balance between the books and the show and I think the show failed to do that in the long run, but that doesn't mean I dislike the show. I did enjoy it for what it was, but it had a lot of missteps and felt like a wasted opportunity especially since the show was the second chance the books had of getting their story told.

If they wanted to develop Clary's character a certain way then there were a million ways to do it other than killing Jocelyn. Also if they didn't want Jocelyn around (since the show woke up her character from her magical sleep way before the books did) then they could have just sent her to Idris like the plan was and she could have been offscreen for awhile.

Good luck on her new project

☂Rae
Old 06-16-2021, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Anyway, Kat's new horror movie with Luke Baines was just released today on iTunes, Amazon and VOD:
thanks for the news
Old 06-17-2021, 10:04 PM
Absolute Fan

The show did to a certain extent paid homage to the books, they did keep some of the major storylines and relationships intact, such as the main couple Clace (of course), Malec, Sizzy, the parabatai bond between Jace and Alec etc. But they did change a lot of other storylines, killing Jocelyn off was one of the major storylines they changed and it really wasn't necessary. I agree there were so many other ways to give Clary's character more development and killing her mother off was an unnecessary one. The relationship between Jocelyn and Luke was a major plot line in the books and I dislike how the show replaced Jocelyn with Maryse and have her date Luke. I guess they just wanted to give Luke a love interest and since Jocelyn's dead they paired him up with Maryse in S3.
Even though S1 was already quite different to the books but I heard the show deviated even more from the books after Todd and Darren took over, I've seen some book fans say that it was almost like a completely different thing of its own, so much was changed in the show that it was almost unrecognisable to fans of the books, since I haven't read the books yet I don't know just how many changes were made. While I do think that was a good thing that they made some changes to some of the storylines because it keeps the show interesting and fresh, but the downside to it is if they change TOO much to the point that they almost disregard the books, then it's rather disrespectful to the original source material and the author. So I don't blame Cassandra for disliking the show, she probably felt her and her books were disrespected and unappreciated by the producers and writers of the show. I really wish they had kept some of the storylines from the books intact, there were some changes in the show that I liked and some that I don't like.

Anyway back to Kat, I love this pic of her:

it's from a photoshoot she posted 4 days ago, she looks so beautiful in this

Last edited by LindaL100; 06-18-2021 at 12:21 AM
Old 06-18-2021, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The show hit on some crucial plot points Though the plot points may have been altered slightly or the path to get to them was different, but they were still there. I think there would have been rioting if they hadn't kept the main ships And friendships. Though they added random relationships in there, but I won't get into that here I'm really sad that Jocelyn and Luke didn't get together and then get married because they all made a cute family And then Luke really would have been a father to Clary as opposed to a father figure. Instead he was with Maryse because she was the only age appropriate female around.

It's all about balance I agree that season 1 had did a better job in terms of book content. The season did it's own thing, but kept touching base with the source material and then things got wonkier after that I feel like if someone watched the show and then read the books then they might like the show more simply because that was the version of the story they were introduced to first. Like how readers of the books enjoy the books more. I'll be interested to hear how you feel whenever you begin reading

Kat is so gorgeous

☂Rae
Old 06-22-2021, 11:38 PM
Absolute Fan

I think it really just depends on the individual, I've seen some people who watched the show first then read the books say that they actually prefer the books surprisingly, although many of them are Clace fans, considering the books are almost completely centered around Clace, their lovestory is really the main focal point of the books and they actually had a happy ending in the books, it's understandable why many Clace fans would prefer the books. I really love Clace's lovestory especially in season 1, but ever since Todd and Darren took over, the development of the Clace lovestory started to go downhill, like I have mentioned before in the Clace thread, they invested too much time on many unnecessary and pointless storylines in seasons 2 & 3 instead of focusing more on building the Clace relationship, which is a real shame since they are the main couple of the whole Shadowhunters story. I think for many Clace fans, the books are a welcomed escape and remedy from the horrible and cruel ending the show had with regards to Clace.
But I'm sure there are also other people out there who watched the show first and prefer the books who are not Clace fans, I'm sure they all have their own reasons for liking the books more than the show, just like those who have their own reasons for liking the show more.

As a huge Clace fan myself I can't wait to start reading the books, I'm still trying to find them, so far I'm having no luck I can't find them in any local libraries and none of my friends have the books. I remember I mentioned before in the Clace thread that I wanted to borrow the books first, I don't want to buy the books in case I don't like them. But I'm having so much trouble finding these books to rent that I'm really considering just buying them regardless of whether I will end up liking them or not, I just really want to read these books, they are so much easier to purchase than to rent.

Here's a new video of Kat, she was promoting her new horror movie and was asked about Shadowhunters, she said she would jump at the chance to play Clary again if the show ever comes back for more seasons:

it's so obvious that Kat loves playing Clary and loved working with the cast so much and is close to many of them. I'm not sure about the likelihood of the show ever being renewed for more seasons in the future, and I don't mean another new reboot or a remake, but a real continuation of the current series that we have all grown to love because the show is very much unfinished, it got cancelled prematurely with many more stories that have yet to be told, there are so much the show left unresolved, most notably about Clace's future, the uncertainty surrounding the ending is just cruel and they don't deserve that, Clace deserves a proper happy ending. Not only that but the show has so much potential for more stories and more seasons.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It’s definitely a case by case basis And it’s always interesting to see what people feel about the two stories once they know both of them. I really hope you’re able to find the books soon! It’s a shame that your libraries don’t seem to have them. I know you’d rather read before buying and I can understand that. Maybe just making an investment with the first book will let you know if it’s worth it or not.

Kat is wonderful She has always been super engaged with the fandom and genuinely enthusiastic. You can tell how important the character and experience was for her and I’m so glad she feels that way. I think the likelihood of Shadowhunters ever being started up again is incredibly unlikely and grows smaller by the day, but it’s nice that she is still being asked that kind of question. And it’s definitely nice to know it’s a world she would want to return to whenever she can. A new ending for the show is a dream, but a nice one

☂Rae
Old 06-25-2021, 04:46 AM
Absolute Fan

Since I'm having so much trouble finding the books to rent I'm really leaning towards buying the books at this point. Just buying the first book for now is a good idea, it's much cheaper than buying the whole series and it'll be a good introduction to the books, it'll also give me a better idea of the tone and feel and writing of the books so it'll make things easier for me to decide whether to get the other books in the series or not.
While I was searching for the books online I learned that in 2016 they released a special edition of the first book 'City of Bones' with a pic of Clace from the TV show on the cover! I think the TV tie-in cover was a limited edition release to promote the show, I really want to get that since I'm such an avid Clace shipper I'm aware that they had also released a special edition of the first book with a movie tie-in cover several years before to promote the movie that had Jamie & Lily's version of Clace on the cover. But since I prefer the TV show I want to get the TV tie-in version with Dom and Kat on the cover

Yes I really like Kat as a person, she just seems so down to earth and engaging and kind. While many other celebrities are cocky and narcissistic and don't really like to interact with their fans much and often just pretend like they care when they actually don't, Kat seems a lot more genuine and caring and appreciative of her fans and is alot more interactive with them than most celebs are.
Even though it has already been 2 years since Shadowhunters was canceled, but the fact that so many fans are still so vocal about their love for the show and wanting the show to be renewed for more seasons, and the fact that the actors are still being asked about the show, just proves how big of an impact the show has made on so many people and the fans. While there was already a significant fanbase for the books and movie, but I think the huge popularity of the TV show really helped to bring alot more recognition and popularity to the Mortal Instruments franchise in general.

Here's the newest pic Kat posted on her twitter:

I love this pic she has great legs
Old 06-26-2021, 08:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think that's a great plan to do for the books Ease yourself into it with buying the first one and hopefully you'll feel it was worth it
Oh yes! I do remember those covers. I'm not sure how easy they are to find, but you can find anything on the likes of Amazon I hope you can track it down if that's the one you want!

She gives off a lovely aura and it seems like she would be great to be around for sure And it's wonderful that she is still asked about the show and is clearly still attached to the character of Clary. I'm confident the show brought more readers to make the books even more popular than they already were

Wow what a woman Pretty sure I'd hurt myself doing that

☂Rae
Old 06-26-2021, 11:36 PM
Absolute Fan

I found the first book with the special covers on ebay and I really want to get the one with Dom and Kat on the cover...but I'm still debating between either getting the first book only or buy the complete book series set, since it's better value to get the complete series set, argh this is such a hard decision! I might need more time to think about it...

Kat will be doing this virtual con with Dom tonight (American time)!

I really hope someone will upload videos from this, I really miss seeing Dom and Kat together!
Old 06-28-2021, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh wow that really is a big decision! I mean, since you really want the cover, maybe just go for it? Read the book and see if you like it. If you do, it’ll probably still be a better deal to buy the set together. You’ll just have two copies of the first book I can understand that it’s a tough decision

Love that they still do events

☂Rae
Old 06-29-2021, 10:35 PM
Absolute Fan

after much consideration I've decided to buy the first book with Kat and Dom on the cover

I found some pics of Kat and Dom taken from the virtual con they did together on June 26th on IG, but I'll post them in the Clace thread

new pic from Kat:

she's so beautiful
Old 06-30-2021, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm glad you made a decision It seems like the perfect option for you

It's great that there is new content popping up from that

So gorgeous

☂Rae
Old 07-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Absolute Fan

new post from Kat:

yes she is gorgeous!