Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieScott (View Post)
And speaking to this, I forgot that Vanessa came back so much during S4... What a horrible thing they did to her character that season. She is most definitely unrecognizable!
I think Vanessa was a horrible character from the start. The actress wasn't the problem. The problem was that her character was a huge hypocrite and it would have worked better if Vanessa had been like book!Vanessa. It would have been interesting to have a goth/emo in their school and imo the Brooklyn storylines would have been better. Even the books writer hated her in the tv show.

What happened to Vanessa that season?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring of fire (View Post)
What happened to Vanessa that season?
A lot!

In short, Dan was all over the place between wanting to be with her and wanting to be with Serena. Eventually Vanessa teamed up with Jenny and a new character, Juliet to takedown Serena. When all went wrong, Vanessa blamed Jenny. Dan hated her after that.

Then she came back several episodes later and started basically spying on people. It was weird, she just happened to be around and overheard like three 'secrets'. When she went to tell Dan or Serena what she had heard they had no interest in hearing her out because seriously, they HATED her at that point.

I know that isn't super specific..but it would take a while to really explain it all.

Also - I never read the books unfortunately, so I only comment on the show.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
A lot!

In short, Dan was all over the place between wanting to be with her and wanting to be with Serena. Eventually Vanessa teamed up with Jenny and a new character, Juliet to takedown Serena. When all went wrong, Vanessa blamed Jenny. Dan hated her after that.

Then she came back several episodes later and started basically spying on people. It was weird, she just happened to be around and overheard like three 'secrets'. When she went to tell Dan or Serena what she had heard they had no interest in hearing her out because seriously, they HATED her at that point.

I know that isn't super specific..but it would take a while to really explain it all.

Also - I never read the books unfortunately, so I only comment on the show.
Eh Vanessa should never have returned after 322. They never fully fleshed her out and just used her as a sort of stand-in plot device when they didn't want to hire a guest star. I know she was supposed to e Dan's bff, but we saw so little of that friendship and I know people love to just call him out on the destruction of that friendship,but they had vanessa acting superior and wonky from the time she showed up in 106. With the exception of the short-buildup in S3 and a few scattered moments in S1 and 2, it was mostly just a nonfriendship. It was more just that girl who was waiting for him to be with her and dismissing his feelings for the girl he actually loved. S4 I know we were supposed to see her as such a good person for helping him out with milo. But, he never asked for her help. She only did it cause Juliet said Dan wanted her back. While I do think he cared for her, she often pushed the limits with him. I mean teaming up with juliet then blaming his sister and leaving for vermont? Why not face him? The fact that she thought he'd just forgive her was a bit much.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

Well, I definitely agree that V should have remained gone at the end of S3. That would have left her character what it originally was at least. S4 was horrible all around for her.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Well, I definitely agree that V should have remained gone at the end of S3. That would have left her character what it originally was at least. S4 was horrible all around for her.
yeah I felt like they went a little too far with V in S4 and I say this as a hater. They did the same with J, but atleast they tried to redeem her.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
yeah I felt like they went a little too far with V in S4 and I say this as a hater. They did the same with J, but atleast they tried to redeem her.
J actually wasn't as bad as V, but yes, both characters still pretty ruined.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
J actually wasn't as bad as V, but yes, both characters still pretty ruined.
she just never seemed to be that burned by Serena. Yeah she loved Nate, but she knew that she didn't really want him that much. It just seemed super OTT. I hated that juliet got away with it. That was just dumb as hell.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
the more people hate on him the more i love him. I love DS , but I just treat GG like Dallas or some daytime soap.
You must really love him a lot then

Quote:
This thread makes me feel so nostalgic

This show was everything during its first two seasons. It was so much fun and so good. I remember buying a lot of headbands because I wanted to look like Blair

I never watched S4 - S6. I watched the first episodes of S4 and I realized the show was never going to fix itself so I quit it and only watched the finale.

It sucks that such a fun show was ruined beyond repair in S3 - S4. Especially because when it came out it was so different from other tv shows and the cast was decent and above what you usually get in a teen show. Also I hated how much they ruined every single ship (especially my favorite CB ).

It's funny that Dan gets labeled as "the worst" when all the characters were ruined and turned into one dimensional during the last seasons. Before watching the last episode I saw some recaps and I could barely recognize most of them.
Hi

I think CB got a solid rebuilt unlike any others, especially Chuck's growth (journey) was amazing.

Dan is the worst for many reasons imo and not related to others being ruined as well. But to each whatever...

GG is not some regular teen drama thats for sure thats why I was hooked in the first place. my faves are s1 and s2 too but I also love s3 and s4 some epis so much. S5 blah except some epis and s6 was so fast paced... But I love the ending especially. you should at least watch some epis imo you'd love

Last edited by lessismore; 08-07-2014 at 11:43 AM
Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
she just never seemed to be that burned by Serena. Yeah she loved Nate, but she knew that she didn't really want him that much. It just seemed super OTT. I hated that juliet got away with it. That was just dumb as hell.
I don't think Serena did anything to V.
V was just tired of Dan/Nate choosing Serena over everything.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't think Serena did anything to V.
V was just tired of Dan/Nate choosing Serena over everything.
and also jealous?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Elite Fan

^ I agree. It's funny that Vanessa decided to take down Serena when Serena never did anything to her (at least intentionally).

Quote:

This sounds so ridiculous and OOC Vanessa was never my favorite and she did plenty of crappy things but this sounds really contrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore (View Post)
GG is not some regular teen drama thats for sure thats why I was hooked in the first place.
I loved it because it was fun and it wasn't cheesy or corny. There was no "lesson learned" and people made mistakes all the time and sometimes acted really selfish.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I just watched 501. Here we go with this mess of a season. I forgot what Diana's motive with Nate is, but I'll find out. I also forgot what brings Serena back to NY now that she has a job in LA. Dan's still "in love" with Blair... Chuck, of course, is hiding his pain... Not that I don't LOVE Blair bear, but it is a little annoying three guys fighting over her basically.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well, I just watched 501. Here we go with this mess of a season. I forgot what Diana's motive with Nate is, but I'll find out. I also forgot what brings Serena back to NY now that she has a job in LA. Dan's still "in love" with Blair... Chuck, of course, is hiding his pain... Not that I don't LOVE Blair bear, but it is a little annoying three guys fighting over her basically.
Bleh good luck with it... But first half is watchable at least

Yeah everyone "loves" Blair show didnt work at all, especially with the OOCness and all. They wanted to copy s2 and it sucked ofc. S1 and s2 were the bests hands down.

Chuck, Serena and Nate in LA my babies are so gorgeous! Look at this beauty awww

Hmm as I remember Diana basically used Natie to be close to Chuck and then her work in NYC. And granpa vanderbilt was effective for making Nate to choose smt would work for them too. I think granpa vanderbilt also had some secrets Diana might expose and vice versa All that cougerness was a plus for her imo because he is so pretty who wouldn't I mean? If you notice smt different let me know!

Serena returns to NYC because the production of the movie ends, so does her job there but she continues to work with the agent she met there. So they all return to NYC actually. And she encounters Charlie/Ivy and brings her as well.

Sure Dan is still "in love" with Blair so much so that he almost lets her ruin her engagement unless Louis pops up #smh

Chuckles aww, he feels nothing and he finds the invitation Blair sent (wtf Blair really?) and he got hurt from the place he put the invitiation when he had the motor accident

"People like me don't write books, we are written about"

Quote:

I loved it because it was fun and it wasn't cheesy or corny. There was no "lesson learned" and people made mistakes all the time and sometimes acted really selfish.
I understand Well it became somewhat cheesy with everyone sleeping with each other imo like it was something necessary or "organic" as they claimed but it was the opposite and also I have to admit that it became overly dramatic and then they used slapstick comedy with db which I also disliked very much... I hated so much because there were so many other great dynamics and SLs they could have explored and they wasted so much potential, so much... Dropping SLs like rotten eggs they created and yet to be answered and not being able to deal with aftermaths of the serious SLs... Ugh...

Last edited by lessismore; 08-07-2014 at 02:58 PM
Old 08-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Elite Fan

Chuck/Nate/Serena were very pretty (and adorable) in LA! That hug So cute!

I actually loved seeing so much of Santa Monica on the show since that is where I live now.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Quote:
but this show just had to put everyone with everyone.
Shu, you and I agree on ... nothing ... about this show, except for this point. So true and so annoying. I hate that this had to happen. Like, last time I checked, NYC wasn't lacking in population. A quarter of the sex partners did not need to happen. And, granted, there's so very few guest star sex partners I liked, but still better than the group of like 7.

Quote:
It would have worked better if Vanessa had been like book!Vanessa. It would have been interesting to have a goth/emo in their school and imo the Brooklyn storylines would have been better. Even the books writer hated her in the tv show.
*CRIES* Book!V was my second favorite character. I HATEEEEEEEE that they only kept the filmmaking a part of her character. Having her in school would have been great. A different interaction between BS and J. Blair/Vanessa ROOMMATES. SO CLOSE TO GETTING THAT, and nope!

They ruined most of the books, but the biggest disappointment, IMO, was what they did with Vanessa's character between the books/show.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top