Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Loyal Fan

News: (1) YoungAmericansTV; (2) Strawberry Lane

Two pieces of news, one good one bad.

YoungAmericansTV

The good news is that there's an excellent new channel on YouTube decicated specifically to Young Americans: YoungAmericansTV. It's only the third YA-dedicated YouTube channel, to my knowledge -- the other two being Alienious' old channel with crappy-visual whole-episode clips of YA as broadcast in the USA in 2000, and my "IckyGrub" channel with better-quality but shorter clips of YA as broadcast in France, redubbed back into English.

My experience leads me to expect that YoungAmericansTV will run into soundtrack music copyright enforcement problems that will force it to remove much of what it has posted -- including a single-clilp whole-episode unaired pilot episode, not now viewable in its entirety elsewhere online. But maybe the new channel will somehow exceed expectations ... Meanwhile, all the promos are now available there, on YouTube for the first time ... technical wizardry surpassing my skill, although I tried.

Strawberrry Lane

The bad news is that "Strawberry Lane," the excellent reference fansite created by Julianna (also the editor of the YA scripts online) a decade ago and re-posted by Jessica a couple of years ago when Julianna stopped hosting it, remains unaccessible. Refence link in quote below. The whole "TheFiveEight" domain on which "Stawbery Lane" was posted now seems gone.

To contact Jessica, see the "contact" line at the YA page on her Oxblood site, at oxblood .tripod .com ~ The WB's Young Americans. If that doesn't work, there are other means -- I know who she is.

Again, shall I contact Jessica to ask about Strawberry Lane, or would someone else prefer to do that?

As you may recall, Julianna sent me the files for Strawbery Lane before she sent them to Jessica. My intention was to rehost the site, but since Jessica is technically more skiled than I, and was eager to do it, I was happy to let Jessica rehost the site. She did a lovely job of it -- but now it seems to be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Take a look at what Jessica's done with Julianna's

fansite.

Improved, but in subtle ways. The basic structure and visual appearance remain unchanged. Nicely done, I think.

Best of all, the site still has an authoritatively factual "reference site" tone. Now more than ever, in fact.

And Jessica's had search engine bots crawl it, and put links to it online in various places, so now if you google for "Strawberry Lane" and "Young Americans," it pops right up.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-29-2013 at 08:39 PM
Old 08-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the link to the YouTube channel. Might check it out over the weekend.

As I said before, feel free to contact Jessica if you want. It's not like you need my permission or anything.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM
New Fan

Finnegan, thank you so much for the youtube channel link. It makes me so happy to be able to see all those promos, even though they're simply just compilations of scenes I've seen a million times already!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Elite Fan

^I am surprised at the great quality I think I had seen one or two of these years ago but they were tiny and grainy videos
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Loyal Fan

Now three "Rawley Revisited" sites

Copied onto this thread to facilitate reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Anja,

Well, I've stashed a lot of what I think are among the most informative and interesting Young Americans photos (screenshots; filming locations; and cast photos) on the previously unusued Google Plus page that now comes automatically with my YA-dedicated YouTube channel. That should provide a stable home from which anyone can access and download those YA pictures:
https://plus.google.com/102949842470779984078/photos
Thanks to the new mega-pixels photo of Tyrconnell on the Wikipedia article about that estate -- it's astonishing how a mansion's being up for sale tends to increase the quality of information about it -- I've also found a suitable photo large enough to head my YA-dedicated YouTube channel, which I've renamed "Rawley Revisited," which seems more descriptive than "IckyGrub." That's still at:
Rawley Revisited - YouTube
I've also kept my YA-dedicated Google sites site, and expect to improve it and take it public soon. It's still at
https://sites.google.com/site/rawleyrevisited/
The Google Plus site, the YouTube site, and the Google sites site all have the same name, but it's a good name, and they're all on the same Google account.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Loyal Fan

"Rawley Revisited" now publicly accessible

I've made the Google Sites website in my signature, Rawley Revisited, publicly accessible. It should turn up in search engine searches soon.

I've done this in part because, since the demise in 2013 of Jessica's "The Five-Eight" domain on which both Jewelianna's "Strawberry Lane" files and the graphics and attachments for Jessica's Oxblood fan site were hosted, scripts of Young Americans have not been available anywhere online. To the best of my knowledge, Rawley Revisited and the "Young Americans" section of Hypnoweb, a French-language fansite, are now the only place where Young Americans scripts are posted online. Hypnoweb posts both Jeweliana's English-language scripts (all we've ever had) and French-language transcripts. If I'm wrong about that, I'd be happy to learn about it.

I've also posted the first description of Young Americans based on viewing of more than the first few episodes ever to be published in an edited venue. That matters because only information published in edited venues can be cited in Wikipedia and reference sites like it. A downloadable PDF file of the article and the part of it relevant to Young Americans are accessible on the Criticism Article page of "Rawley Revisited." Who knows, someday someone might even edit the Wikipedia article on Young Americans to cite some of that.

Again, three associated YA-dedicated sites -- a YouTube channel where YA can be viewed with critical commentary, a Google Plus site that serves as a photo gallery, and a Google Sites website that serves as a YA reference site, are now all publicly accessible and all have the same name -- "Rawley Revisited." Apologies to Evelyn Waugh, obviously, but since Brideshead Revisited seems to be where Antin purloined "Ryder" (and much of YA's ambiance) from, aping him in borrowing from Waugh seems apt.

I hope to improve these sites further in several respects: (1) Including on the reference website more information about YA's soundtrack music, including material from the Strawberry Lane files (which I still have), much of which is not readily available elsewhere. (2) Adding more photos to the Google Plus site, and making sure all photos referenced by the reference website are included in sourced from the Google Plus photo gallery. (3) Revising the commentaries for my video clips, which were made in 2010, since which I've learned a few things. (4) Doing some more video editor work to compensate as well as possible for sound-track copyright enforcement problems in the online video clips.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-13-2014 at 12:51 AM Reason: Correction
Old 04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for bringing this over I'll add the links soon (and go through the list again to delete stuff...even though that always makes me so sad )
Old 04-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Correction: YA scripts still on Hypnoweb

As I've just edited my last prior post on this thread to indicate, Jeweliana's English-language halfway-from-productionscript-to-transcript scripts of Young Americans (the only scripts ever to have been made public, so far as I know) are publicly available not only on "Rawley Revisited," but also on the "Young Americans" section of Hypoweb, the French-language fansite.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 AM
Elite Fan

Not sure that warranted its own post, because it's not like we're always academically correct here (or need to be) or whatever but thanks!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Loyal Fan

Suggestions for the "links" thread OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Anja, Sheida,

A couple of suggestions about the OP of this thread.

(1) Sadly, Strawberry Lane and Oxblood are dead, and are not coming back; the domain that re-hosted strawberry Lane and provided all the graphics and attachments for Oxblood went offline a year ago. What's left of Oxblood's YA pages is an empty shell. Time to bury the dead?

(2) Shouldn't the OP of the links thread link to places where one can read the scripts? And watch the show -- insofar as FF rules allow?

There are currently only two places (known to me) where one can get scripts online:
the Episodes subsection of Hypnoweb's YA section and the "Scripts" section of the Rawley Revisited GoogleSite.

There are four YA-dedicated YouTube sites where one can watch the whole show in different languages and viewing qualities: Alienious (English, bad quality visuals), YoungAmericansTV (English, good visual quality, Portugese substitles), Mel Anie (French dubbing, the M6 version, good visual quality), and Rawley Revisited (The M6 version redubbed into English, good visual quality), which lists the other three as its "featured channels." If you can't link directly to video sites, the "YA Online" (homepage) section of the Rawley Revisted GoogleSite lists them, and a link to it might be an indirect way to link to them.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Elite Fan

I know the list needs to be updated, I'll get to it when I have some time.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Loyal Fan

Informative YA fansites preserved by Archive.org

I am pleasantly surprised to find that several of the most informative early Young Americans fansites, now defunct, have been preserved largely intact by Archive.Org. Although not all their links work, many of their links lead at least to other sites preserved by Archive.org, although one may need to click on various archiving dates in order to find a functioning link. Each of these sites has an extensive "links" page, and following those links, leads one, via many other sites preserved in whole or part by Archive.org, on a guided tour of early Young Americans fandom.

These highly informative fansites include:
The original (homestead.com - hosted) pre-2004 form of Jewelianna's (Juli's) Strawberry Lane fansite, with pages givng YA's scripts, the lyrics of songs in its soundtrack, the texts of its literary allusions, links to other YA sites, and more. The buttons in the left-hand margin open sections of the site, even when their labels don't display.

Nelle's Kate and Ian fansite, which is about far more than Moennig and Somerhalder. It offers excellent original episode summaries, links to news articles on YA including cast interviews, one of the largest early YA fanfiction archives ("The Stories of Us"), lyrics of most songs in YA's soundtrack, and links to other YA sites - plus a huge (considering it dates from 2002) amount of information about Moennig and Somerhalder, including original interviews with each.

Cyndi's less encyclopedic but highly entertaining JaHammers Online fansite.

The links page of Courtney's "Required Reading" YA fanfiction site, which still gives access, via Archive.org, to a remarkably large number of early YA fansites.
Whenever one has a Young Americans site URL that seems no longer to work, it's worth plugging that URL into the "WayBack Machine" of Archive.org.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-21-2014 at 12:43 PM
Old 06-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

JaHammers.com was the first YA website I visited. Aww. I feel so old.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
JaHammers.com was the first YA website I visited. Aww. I feel so old.
May you be as well preserved as those fansites, Anja.

Just think of them as beautiful mummies ...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Elite Fan

Looking back at it it just looks so ....unbelievable late 90's. The fonts! The colours! The sidebar! Ah, good times.