Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Skins 2/6 and YA: Orpheus & Eurydice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
That whole beginning scene with the voiceover/the blending over to Tony walking, that does indicate a dream.
Indeed. A dream that re-enacts the Orpheus and Eurydice story. Note that the first shot in the dream is of Tony walking up a staircase -- the start of an upward climb out of hell. And then, at 8:00 minutes into this clip:

Quote:
SID: Tony ... You havin' a good evening?

TONY: I'm just marvellous,Sidney. Like hell on earth, man.
But Tony already acted out the Orpheus and Eurydice story with his sister, Effie, in the "Effie" episode of season 1; he descended into a hell and rescued her. That's one reason, I think, why Effie reads him this story; she's saying "Thank you." Another reason is that she knows he now needs to save himself. It's pretty clear from the "prelude" that she's read him this story before, that she's often done so.

Catch how very similar the girl whom Tony meets in the restroom, and again at the university, is to Effie in visual appearance; I found that striking, so did my wife, without prompting from me. And she asks him, in the restroom, whether he wants to screw his sister. He doesn't, but she's the one person Tony really loves, and the one person he can't screw; the point is to underscore that he needs to learn how to use sex for love, rather than to play power games.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Elite Fan

I hadn't noticed the matching shirts of Cassie and Tony....maybe because they were both left by their boy/girlfriend and are in pain because of Michelle/Sid?

Guy on train is creeeeeepy. The fact that he quotes the "fine and dandy" that Tony kept repeating over and over again before certainly indicates that something is up...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

At Tony being under the bed, I love that Effy knew that
Kaya looks so young here, her hairband and her dressing him they have such a sweet bond, and shes so beautiful I just cant help fangirling.

Going on your theory about the guy on the train being potential future Tony, the way its shot seriously imlies this, the matching color of their eyes and I dunno, something about the camera movements here made me believe your theory Finnegan.

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

At Tony being under the bed, I love that Effy knew that
Kaya looks so young here, her hairband and her dressing him they have such a sweet bond, and shes so beautiful I just cant help fangirling.

Going on your theory about the guy on the train being potential future Tony, the way its shot seriously imlies this, the matching color of their eyes and I dunno, something about the camera movements here made me believe your theory Finnegan.

Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Catch how very similar the girl whom Tony meets in the restroom, and again at the university, is to Effie in visual appearance; I found that striking, so did my wife, without prompting from me. And she asks him, in the restroom, whether he wants to screw his sister. He doesn't, but she's the one person Tony really loves, and the one person he can't screw; the point is to underscore that he needs to learn how to use sex for love, rather than to play power games.

Tony gets lost in the staircase at the university - trying to find the way to saving himself?
Loyal Fan

Re: Skins 2/6 and YA: Orpheus and Eurydice as dream prelude

The matching T-shirts is a good catch, Anja. Thanks, I'll ponder that.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Loyal Fan

FF is screwing up for me. Sorry.

Like the false "wake-up" scene 12:30 minutes into the episode? Of course, the totally surreal quality of the rest of the episode indicates he's still dreaming.

And like the incredibly surreal "Tony talks from under the bed" scene that follows? It's like his highly symbolic bed cover is talking.

Love the song played as Tony walks onto the university campus, "Walcott" by Vampire Weekend. I've posted about that one the episode discussion thread on the skins board.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-06-2012 at 02:54 PM
Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The shot with the staircase is just gorgeous, one of my favorite skins cinematography scenes.

Also the newspaper the guy on the train is reading has a headline with the word dream in it, I couldnt make out the rest of it, though but look Finnegan, youve got me paying attention to detail

Quote:
Catch how very similar the girl whom Tony meets in the restroom, and again at the university, is to Effie in visual appearance; I found that striking, so did my wife, without prompting from me. And she asks him, in the restroom, whether he wants to screw his sister. He doesn't, but she's the one person Tony really loves, and the one person he can't screw; the point is to underscore that he needs to learn how to use sex for love, rather than to play power games
I dont really see the resemblance to be honest but I do agree with Effy being the only person he loves.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Elite Fan

I think we all suffer from double-posting

Sheida caught the matching shirts, so all credit goes to her!

I agree about the guy on the train and as I said before, he quotes something that Tony said the night before...something that he could not know under normal circumstances...

I think I'm a bit ahead

Mystery!Girl sticks up for Tony in the group session.

"...Sex ranks higher than substance. I'll pass, thanks." << Backs up what you said before about Tony learning how to love, how to use sex for love. Because "substance" is more important than sex.

and then she goes and "saves" him from drowning in the pool. and then she has disappeared when the group find Tony again...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Elite Fan

stonemcest fan present.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Elite Fan

Preeeeeeetty
Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Elite Fan

creepy old guy on the train's newspaper has a massive font saying "dreams" on it.. maybe to clue us in on the whole thing being a dream?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah FF is double posting for me too, glad to know Im not the only one

Quote:
and as I said before, he quotes something that Tony said the night before...something that he could not know under normal circumstances
Yeah him saying 'Fine and dandy' was emphacized, like he was all knowing or something, very peculiar.

The two tour leaders are also weird, especially with the 'dont go with her' scene or the 'Id like to see you out of your clothes' its all to weird to be real.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, possibly! Nice catch, guys
Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, the two tour guides are straaaaange.

I think it's worth noting how every character knows everything Tony knows...the girl knows he can't get hard; the advisor knows what he's been up to all day,...

"I'm a bad dream, mate." There's the word dream, again.