Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Loyal Fan

A crew bar in Washington

Much prettier than any picture of me, here's a photo of one of my favorite watering holes: The Tombs, a ratskeller in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The decor celebrates the sport of crew rowing, and in particular the Georgetown University crew team, which can be seen on the Potomac River on any spring or autumn morning. Only a short walk from The Tombs is the university boathouse. Nearby are other boathouses where one can rent a sculling shell, rowboat, canoe, or kayak.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-30-2012 at 02:43 PM
Old 03-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Elite Fan

That looks so cool! The place seems to have a really great atmosphere!

Random, but I love that you said ratskeller. German words appearing in the English language always make me giggle.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That looks like a really cool and interesting place love the fireplace.

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
I love that you said ratskeller. German words appearing in the English language always make me giggle.
"Ratskeller" has been used in American English to mean a restaurant below the ground level of any building for many decades -- all my life, at least. The original association with a "Rathaus," or town hall, is lost in the English usage. Sadly, the English cognate of "Rat", namely "reed" in the sense of advice or counsel, is so archaic as to be dead beyond reviving.

Although sports restraurants are common in the U.S, restaurants with a crew-rowing theme seem fairly rare. Oddly, I've not seen any in Boston or elsewhere in New England.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

Okay, so this is me at Area4 festival, looking absolutely hideous. I blame the weird camera angle. Just focus on the two handsome people in the picture with me, the guitarist and singer from Scottish band Biffy Clyro (who are amaaaaaaaaazing!!!). Simon (the blond one) is so pretty! He has the most amazing eyes I have ever seen. (Sorry, Ian!)

Last edited by wolkenfuehlen; 07-13-2020 at 12:42 AM
Old 08-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You dont look hideous you look good, though the angel could have been better, did you get a haircut or just tie you hair in a ponytale, either way, looks good
and I cant see the guys eyes but he looks pretty

Old 08-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

Well, there was a barricade between us and them, so I sort of had to lean over the barricade and all. Thanks though! Yep, hair was in a ponytail, it was so hot the first two days!

Look at his pretty eyes! He's much prettier with black hair, isn't he?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

aww youre right, that explains the angel, but a great picture all the same

and he looks soooo much younger an prettier with black hair

Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Elite Fan

He does, doesn't he? We started calling him Santa Claus among our group of friends when we first saw that he had died his hair blond.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
This is me ... looking absolutely hideous.
Rubbish, Anja. Above a certain threshold of physical attractiveness, it's really all about personality, and you're well above it.

For example:

One reason why I'm so fond of the photo of Moennig and her dog that I posted on this board's Moennig thread is that the last woman I dated before the one I married looked strikingly like that: similar hair, face, eyes, smile, and lanky athletic body (but taller). Also like Moennig, she was from Philadelphia, from money, and attended an all-girls prep school in Philadelphia's wealthy "main line" suburbs (not Moennig's Notre Dame de Namur, but one of its nearby rivals -- they row crew against each other on Philadelphia's Schuylkill River).

But there the similarities end. My friend was a paradigmatic Anglo-Saxon Protestant of the country club and social register class, emotionally reserved and self-sufficient. I am not, and parted from her, as gently as I then knew how but less well than I now wish, when I realized that I would never want to marry her. She has done nicely, thank God: she has a loving husband from her own class and culture, two children, and a rewarding job with the most prestigious financial house in the U.S. As have I: my wife is emotionally intense, morally demanding and unsparingly although humorously critical, which is just what I need.

But one never ceases either to be grateful for the love of a good woman, or to wish that one might have returned it better. As Krudski says at the end of YA, life is a gift -- quite past our power to merit, though we must try.

Thanks, by the way, for the reference to Biffy Clyro, of whom I had not heard, and with whose music I have just passed a pleasant hour. Their repertoire of rock styles seems remarkably diverse.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Elite Fan

Aw, well thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Thanks, by the way, for the reference to Biffy Clyro, of whom I had not heard, and with whose music I have just passed a pleasant hour. Their repertoire of rock styles seems remarkably diverse.
You're welcome I'm glad you enjoy them!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Morning on the Potomac

Another photo from the town where this old New Englander is in pleasant exile. Much prettier than any picture of me. The Georgetown University crew practising on the Potomac. I often see them on my way to work, or on weekend walks, although not at this time of year.

And one of Scout's father's workplace, with best wishes for happy holidays to those celebrating them this month:

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-30-2012 at 02:38 PM
Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

awww gorgeous pictures, i love the first one, certainly has a nostalgic feel to it

Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Elite Fan

Such pretty pictures! The first one is absolutely gorgeous!!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Im thinking of having a YA cast picture printed and put on my wall though I cant find any good quality ones good enough for an A3 or an A4 paper fanart featuring Charlie would be even more awesome

Yes, Im posting this here because once its printed and put up Ill take a picture with it and put it here