Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Loyal Fan

"Cloudy" by Goldo (song in YA2 credits) identified

Thanks, Anja. I'm trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
I can find no evidence that "Cloudy" by Goldo ever existed, much less anythng to compare with the YA soundtrack for Sean's party.
That's no longer true. I still don't have and seem unlikely ever to have lyrics or a recording of "Cloudy" by Goldo, which Rawley Academy, the official website of Young Americans, listed among the musical credits for episode 2 of YA, and which various sites (including this thread's OP) identify as the song played during the Sean-Scout fight sean at the townie party. Without either lyrics or a recording, or some other evidence (none seems available), I still can't confirm that it was played in YA2. I can't even say for sure that it's a song with vocals rathe than an instrumental. However, I have managed to confirm that the song exists, and to identify its composer and owners. As I'll soon post in the "Music" section of Rawley Revisited:

"Cloudy" is a piece created for TV or film soundtrack use. It is BMI Work #5308659 in the BMI Repertoire. It is described as having for its songwriters/composers Christopher Allen Dye, Guy Erez, and Paul E. Goldowitz, and as having been published by "goldomusick" and BMI.

"Goldo" is the publisher, not the main composer. (Recall that "Stroll in the Park," an instrumental played in YA1, was also credited to its publisher, FirstCom Library, and that "That's No Lie," played in YA4, was wrongly accredited to "PEN Swing" because it is a swing piece marketed by PEN Music Group.) Paul. E. Goldowitz is currently listed as a songwriter or composer of 249 pieces in the BMI repertoire. His autobiographical sketch on LinkedIn states that from January 2000 until 2011, he worked as a music producer through "goldomuzik," writing, mixing, recording and producing musical pieces, and that he has recently founded Gold Music Library. Some biographical information about Goldowitz is available there, and also on Goldowitz's page on the website of West Alan, his agent, which states:
Paul “Goldo” Goldowitz … a Los Angeles native … after studying Electronic Music production in college … opened a small studio in Silverlake which led to him being signed to Sony/Immortal Records. He dived into the new world of Pro-Tools, quickly becoming an expert ... With producer friend Guy Erez, and artist Bernard Bernard, Goldo produced the song "Boom Da Boom" … Goldo became the go-to guy for many TV shows and films.
Since Erez and Goldowitz are chiefly producers, the main composer of "Cloudy" appears to be Chris Dye, whose YouTube Channel contains clips of him performing a number of songs composed by him that sound not unlike the song played during the fight scene at Sean's party in YA2. Chris Dye was the main songwriter and vocalist for an LA-based band called Dashboard Prophets, who released only one album, Burning Out the Insides (No Name Recordings, 1996). Dye also did vocals on Goldo's album, Goldo (Sony Music, 1998).

That, sadly, is all I can find out.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-05-2014 at 10:46 PM
Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Loyal Fan

The episode 2 fight scene song is "Happy Time" by G Tom Mac

The song played during the fight scene at Sean's part in episode 2 is unquestionably "Happy Time" by Gerard McMahon (aka G TOM MAC), on his album, G TOM MAC (Edge Artists, 2000). You can buy "Happy Time" online for less than one US dollar from vendors including iTunes and confirm that for yourself. Or just go to the Music-Songs-Episode 2 page of Rawley Revisited, where I've posted the lyrics of G TOM MAC as I've transcribed them from the recording I bought from iTunes. You'll be able to follow the lyrics during the fight scene in YA episode 2.

The song played during Scout's first shift at the diner in YA2 remains unidentified

I still can't identify the song played during the scene showing Scout's first shift at Friend's diner in episode 2. That song starts 1:58 minutes into this clip.

The fansites record both "Cloudy by Goldo (Paul Goldowitz's Goldomusick, per my last post on this thread) and "187 by G-Sleep" as having been in the musical credits of YA episode 2 on Rawley Academy Online (only the episode 4 credits on RAO remain preserved). So the song played during Scout's first shift at the diner is probably one of them, and the other is probably an instrumental (since only one song with vocals remains unidentified).

"187" is also in the credits for the 2000 movie, Bar Hopping, directed by Steven Cohen. There it is credited to both "G-Sleep and Jeeve," and said to have been published in 1999 by G-Sleep publishing. “G-Sleep” is a pseudonym for Eugene Batson, born 1967. “Jeeve” is a pseudonym for aka Jean Yves Ducornet, a guitarist and producer, born 1968. “187” by Jean Yves DuCornet and Eugene Batson, published by G-Sleep Publishers, is listed in the BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.) repertoire as BMI Work #5171759. On his “Crystal Ship Music” site, Jean Yves DuCornet records that he placed “187” with Young Americans.

I bought a DVD of Bar Hopping (not recommended) and spent about six hours listening to its soundtrack. Sadly, I can't recognize anything in it as having been played anywhere in the soundtrack of YA. Perhaps the segments of "187" played in YA and in Bar Hopping may not be overlapping.

The unidentified song's 3/4 tempo song's ten-syllables-per-line lyrics seem to be:
Na na na na na na na na na na
We like to (seven syllables inaudible while Scout clanks silverware)
Swell like an ocean and crash like s wave ...
Searching for those lyrics online yields nothing. Not surprising, if it's either "187" or "Cloudy" - both songs were written only for soundtrack use.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-05-2014 at 11:30 PM
Old 06-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Elite Fan

Sorry, I'm no help. Keep us updated, I guess.

Meanwhile, I am sitting here on a Saturday night watching this on repeat

and absolutely sobbing my eyes out. What a perfect song. Hands down the best YA song for me. By far.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Back to the good stuff

Yes, Anja, "This Year's Love" is beautiful - and so is the way it's used in YA5. Increasingly, I'm coming to share your fondness for episode 5. I'll post on that separately.

I fear we've come as close as we can to identifying the music in YA's soundtrack. Only two songs with vocals remain unidentified -- one in the Scout's-first-shift-at-the-diner scene in episode 2, the other in the stolen-Corvette scene at the start of episode 6. Identifying those, and the many hauntingly lovely instrumentals, will have to wait on contact with people involved in making YA.

And that frees us up to focus on the good stuff in YA's soundtrack -- like Nick Drake, David Gray, Israel Kamakawiwio'ole -- and how beautifully it's used.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:36 AM
Elite Fan

Are you gonna stalk Antin (or at least the music supervisor) now?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Elite Fan

Oh look, only 5 years since I last had a meltdown over my love for David Gray on this thread He's going on tour next year to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his White Ladder album becoming successful, and I got tickets! I plan to cry my eyes out to the 3 YA songs... and all songs, really
Old 10-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Oh look, only 5 years since I last had a meltdown over my love for David Gray on this thread He's going on tour next year to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his White Ladder album becoming successful, and I got tickets! I plan to cry my eyes out to the 3 YA songs... and all songs, really
and I will record your crying
Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Elite Fan

I wouldn't expect anything less from you
Old 10-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

always at your service
Old 10-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Awww I'm so happy for you going on this tour, how exciting

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 AM
Elite Fan

you can expect a voicemail of me sobbing