Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2017, 02:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-LawForever (View Post)
Would you say this would be like a female Jason Bourne movie?
Um... I suppose it could be turned into that, but really it's more like a kind of pulp John LeCarre. At least on the page. It wouldn't surprise me to see the movie add in a few more action beats though...
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF1138 (View Post)
Hmmmm...

Obviously it's very much up to yourself, but I might recommend reading the novel AFTER you've seen the movie.

I have some issues with the book, but I like the the writing (over-dense though it might be in places), and I think there's a solid plot in evidence, and a compelling central figure in Dominika. There could be a very good movie in there. All the same, I'm expecting considerable licence to be taken in adapting it to the screen - in certain aspects it's absolutely necessary - so you might find it more enjoyable to map out the differences between the two in hindsight.

Just a suggestion.

thanks, i think i'll take your suggestion and read it second.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Master Fan

~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 01-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

So it's more intelligent is what you're saying. Or at least the book anyway.

But could add some action beats for the A.D.D people. Especially those who thought the start of Passengers was too slow and nothing happen.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Especially those who thought the start of Passengers was too slow and nothing happen.

the music at the beginning of the film gives me goosebumps, and the stellar scenery is captivating as the Avalon appears out of the starfield, so small against the vastness of the universe. the Avalon is such a great design and presence, it truly is a character in this fine film. i thought the beginning was so well done, in establishing this ship plowing through the universe on it's lonely 120 year mission. i hate the haters, and the undeserving havoc they have wreaked on this awesome film. grrrrrrr.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Passionate Fan

Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
So it's more intelligent is what you're saying.
In as much as it's concerned more with the nuance of intelligence operations than it is with the kind of action set-pieces associated with the likes of the Bourne series etc.

Essentially, it's more in the realm of something like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but with a pulpier underlay that accepts stalwart hero types and supports a clutch of antagonists that don't fall too short of being almost Bond-villain-like grotesques.

If this was still in the hands of David Fincher I'd be expecting it to focus in on the Tinker, Tailor elements, but with it being Francis Lawrence at the helm I'm not sure he won't indulge some of the pulpier aspects of the novel. If he does, then a couple more action beats might be sensible. Otherwise I can see the movie getting labelled 'lightweight LeCarre'. Not that that need necessarily be damaging...
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Whatever it is. I'm sure it'll be highly interesting.

Do you think they can make the November release? or do you think pushing it back would help it out a bit?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Push it back to when? October or early November seems like the ideal spot for this kind of film.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworshipper (View Post)
...November seems like the ideal spot for this kind of film.
I agree.

November's become the month studios serve up their not-quite-summer-blockbuster blockbusters, which seems the perfect place for Red Sparrow. It’s also not December, so it won’t have to contend with any senseless awards handicapping nonsense, which only franchise releases and comedies seem to be exempt from in the last month of the year these days. Plus, it might end up feeling reminiscent of the Lawrence/Lawrence Hunger Games drop dates, which could be a minor benefit.

For the record: The last Bourne movie (Jason Bourne) began Principal Photography on September 08, 2015, and was released to cinemas July 11, 2016. That’s 11 months to shoot and cut the movie.

Red Sparrow began filming on January 5th of this year, and is set to be released 11 months from now, on November 10th.That's pretty much the same schedule, time wise.

People are getting thrown by the fact that it's all happening within the same calendar year, but that's really not an issue. There's no reason to think Francis Lawrence, who knows how to turn a movie around quickly in any event, should have any trouble getting this movie made within the allotted time-frame.

November's a good release date, and there's plenty of time to get the movie made. Pushing it back would be pointless.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

the sets look great
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 01-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

I'm just saying is that enough time. Plus Justice League movie comes out either a week before or after this.

But hopefully it does hunger Games like things from that month.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
He has just returned from filming in Budapest, where he has been playing a “bad guy” in Red Sparrow, a thriller about Russian spies and the CIA, starring Jennifer Lawrence. “She’s amazing, incredible,”[/B] he says, wide-eyed with fan-boy excitement. “It’s incredible watching what she does. She is so natural, she just snaps into it.” - Ballet Dancer Sergei Polunin on working with Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
I'm just saying is that enough time.
The point I was trying to make was that YES, it is enough time. It breaks down as three months to shoot, and seven months to edit. How fast editing goes is often determined by how the movie was shot. If Francis is specific in how he shoots his coverage, and my understanding is that he is (a by-product no doubt, of his music video days), then things should movie quite quickly. Plus, he's been working with the same editor for four movies now, so there'll be a shorthand between them.

Quote:
Plus Justice League movie comes out either a week before or after this.
It's a week after.

But listen, I don't know what Red Sparrow's budget is, but it absolutely will not need to compete with Justice League. It'll need to open relatively strong I suspect, but should be able to just chug along afterwards like any other film of its ilk. JLA won't hamper that... or it shouldn't do. And certainly not if critics continue being hostile towards those movies.

I don't necessarily expect Hunger Games things though. If it earns what Passengers just earned, I suspect that'll be a successful (and profitable) run for this movie.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 01-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Nice comment about Jen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
the sets look great
I like that they went on location for the film. It gives a realistic element to it.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

ooh, i love that comment about Jen. so true. the woman is a natural, a force of nature!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread