Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

nice pictures, love the basketball picture.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
nice pictures, love the basketball picture.
Thanks I know all the dating stuff will be adorable.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 12-18-2016, 09:13 PM
Passionate Fan

Box Office: How Critics Attacked Will Smith’s ‘Collateral Beauty’ & Led To Its Bombing | Deadline

Quote:
This weekend, Will Smith saw a career-low opening at the box office with Warner Bros./New Line/Village Roadshow’s holiday melodrama Collateral Beauty, which debuted to $7M at 3,028 theaters.

Typically the recent go-to excuse whenever Smith tanks at the B.O. is that the actor is out of his tentpole wheelhouse, venturing into more offbeat dramas (i.e. last year’s Focus’ $18.7M opening, $53.9M domestic), but Collateral Beauty‘s bombing is about more than a leading star’s choices and suggests something more systemic at the box office: Critics, more than ever, can dictate the financial fate of a movie, particularly one that’s inherently a crowd-pleaser.

The Rotten Tomatoes aggregation power era is a dilemma that keeps many studio executives awake at night, and Collateral Beauty, which is pained by a 14% overall Rotten rating, but boosted by an A- CinemaScore joins other disconnected pics at this year’s B.O. including Alice through the Looking Glass (A- CinemaScore, 30% rotten, $77M domestic B.O.), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (A- CinemaScore, 38% Rotten, $82M domestic B.O.) and even X-Men: Apocalypse (A- CinemaScore, 48% Rotten, $155.4M domestic) which saw a slowdown in its Memorial Day opening to $65.8M over FSS.
What’s even more disheartening and a head-scratcher for Warner Bros./New Line: Collateral Beauty‘s test scores were through the roof with over 90% in two polls and an 81% definite recommend. A looming bomb, it was not. But then tracking hit showing a huge opening swing between $6M-$12M.
Speaking with Deadline yesterday morning, a person close to the Collateral Beauty production declared that the film’s reviews were a “schoolyard assault.” A pack rat nature pervades unfortunately among reviewers. Damned they are by their bosses should their opinion ever steer from the mainstream pack. I witnessed this first hand at an outlet I worked with when a critic had the audacity to give Gigli a platinum review in the face of all the negative criticism it was accruing.
Rotten Tomatoes >> word of mouth?

LIke Passengers, I get the feeling that the critics are trashing it because they hate the main twist. Ironically, I hated Collateral Beauty's trailers and said to myself I'd only like the film if they twisted the story in exactly how they really did twist it.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

filthy reviewers should be tossed in the arena with the lions, right along with their corporate/studio/media puppet masters. grrrrrr.

i am done with reviewers, review sites like rotten, and critics in general. all of them.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworshipper (View Post)
A pack rat nature pervades unfortunately among reviewers.
Or as George Lucas put it years ago, "critics write to agree with each other". It was true then, and it's true now. Only today, the plebeian masses accept this coagulating opinion as though it's written on stone tablets and represents incontrovertible fact. We've all abdicated our right to make up our own minds, in favour of being assured we like what we're supposed to instead. That way we can feel clever, and possessed of taste and discernment, even while behaving as little more than conformist drones.
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited by TPF1138; 12-19-2016 at 01:59 PM
Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

I still watch films that I like the look of, regardless of reviews (although I do like to read them when they're positive).
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
I still watch films that I like the look of, regardless of reviews (although I do like to read them when they're positive).
Me too.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

So critics hated that
Spoiler:

It just seems critics at times are too far up their own butts. But people are so shallow today they don't have a opinion of their own. Mainly cause I feel they are too afraid to do so. I know a bunch of people who said they were going to see Passengers cause they liked the cast and thought the story was interesting. But soon as reviews came out. They were jumping ship quicker than the people on the Titanic. One person even said they had bought tickets already. But then saw the reviews and went I don't wanna see it now. Even though they had bought the tickets already. As I have always said. people are afraid to like a movie that doesn't get good reviews. Even though said person might like it. Why I said their afraid. Because they might get made fun of for liking said film.

I know one person who hasn't seen the movie. But is labeling it a bad movie. Mainly cause critics they follow and agree with said it was a bad movie. They themselves haven't seen it. Just heard what critics said. But in their minds. That automatically makes it a bad movie. Cause some critics said so.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 AM
Passionate Fan

Old 12-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Spaaaaacemaaaaaaan. and Jen.
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 12-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Passionate Fan

Tonight's the night.

Jennifer Lawrence’s Gravity-Defying Passengers Pool Scene, Explained

Quote:
“Very early on, we latched onto this piece of renaissance artwork, which is Ophelia floating,” Nordby told VF.com by phone earlier this month, describing the 19th-century painting by Sir John Everett Millais, which shows the heroine of Shakespeare’s Hamlet singing before she drowns in Denmark. “There’s something very beautiful and terrifying [about the image]—the juxtaposition between the hard, physical reality of what would happen in that situation mixed with the visual of Jen floating, almost embryonic, in this massive bubble, which is cold and beautiful.”
That was all figured out ahead of time, before we even put Jen in the situation of having to shoot, which was its own extraordinary, sensitive, and very difficult thing to wrangle,” Nordby said. “Jen is a strong swimmer, was extraordinarily game, and worked closely with the stunt team. We ended up having to essentially hold her underwater, which is never something you want to [experience] because it is a naturally terrifying feeling. The stunt coordinator devised a series of pulleys that were attached to the base of the pool. She had a strap around her waist and two cuffs around her ankles to keep her down.”

Even with those restraints, Lawrence still had to work hard to guide her body toward attaining the desired underwater effect.

“The body is buoyant in a very odd way,” Nordby explained. “To get her to float in this beautiful way, there was a very specific angle we needed her body to lean so that her hair ends up going exactly where we wanted it to go. She was the only person who could control what her hair did . . . She had to get used to being pulled underwater, held there, and also position her body to not float in a weird way. There were definitely moments where it was very frustrating.”

She’s the kind of person who, when she gets frustrated, she knows she has to beat it so she’d go back down, do it again, do it again . . . We’d hold her under for about 15 seconds at a time, but she couldn’t actually exhale—which is what people do underwater to keep calm—because that would create bubbles in front of her face.”

“We had a whole elaborate system set up of how she could communicate with us underwater,” Nordby said. “We had safety divers to make her feel as comfortable as possible. And for the scene where [her character] drops with the water at the end, when the gravity turns back on, we used a stunt double. We hung the stunt double from a crane, dropped [her] 30 feet into the pool with about 850 gallons of water . . . It was a terrifying thing to watch, but it ended up giving us all that great reference of what would be real and how it would actually look in reality.”

Of the sequence, which took another 10 months to finalize in post-production, Nordby admitted, “It was bigger than any of us assumed. The more we got into it, the more we realized how imperative it was that she really wrapped her head around the physicality of what was required, and to show her. We’d sit there and we’d show her all the shots . . . She’d come up [out of the pool], look at the playback, go back down, do it again, and the whole time, she was very positive about it.”

Last edited by sunworshipper; 12-20-2016 at 03:53 PM
Old 12-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Tomorrow is the day! I requested off from work just cause of it.

Love those last two pics with the rose.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Passionate Fan

I just saw it! I liked it a lot.

While I can see why many critics might dislike the film for some character/plots (which I'll get into under spoiler tags), overall I think they are a herd of stupid sheep. This is a well-crafted film. Visually striking in costumes, sets, visual effects, and acting. If a critic is trying to give advice to film-goers about whether this is a good popcorn movie, he/she should say "Yes!". From the broad negative consensus of critics, I feared that this film would be seriously flawed or clunky. It is not. It's not a great film but it's a lot better than Apocalypse, for instance. IMHO. Serena is a bad film, this is pretty good.

Spoiler:

BTW, too bad Jen prefers dressing in white or black. Her best look with that platinum blonde hair in this film was her red dress.

Last edited by sunworshipper; 12-20-2016 at 08:24 PM
Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Passionate Fan

Great to hear you liked it!

Wish I could go sooner.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think Im watching it tomorrow

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Closed Thread   Post New Thread