Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

I am definitely going to see this movie
Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 AM
Passionate Fan

I'd love a HQ still of that overhead shot of her floating in the pool.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
I am definitely going to see this movie

yup, we're all going to see it. i hope the theater is packed! hope this film goes huge!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm hopeful it will too.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworshipper (View Post)
I'd love a HQ still of that overhead shot of her floating in the pool.
I doubt there was a photographer up there too
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
I doubt there was a photographer up there too
Too lucky if he was.

*SIGHS*

Ooh, oh my lord! Simply take my breathe away.

And Mr. Pratt is there too. Its for a VF screening of Passengers in NY.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

her smile in that second picture is positively breathtaking. simply gorgeous! wow.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

very pretty!!

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 12-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
her smile in that second picture is positively breathtaking. simply gorgeous! wow.
That it is.

And so very pretty.

The Passengers Experience is open through January 20th!

New Still.

In NY at the Passengers thing taking pics with fans after surprising them.

When Jen smiles it takes me miles
From where I'm standing
When Jen smiles I realise

She's no ordinary girl
Mmmmmmmmm
No ordinary girl
Oohhhhh

When Jen smiles just for a while
I feel so far away
When Jen smiles I realize

She's no ordinary girl
Oohhh no
No ordinary girl
Oohhh no
No ordinary girl
Noooo
No ordinary girl
oooohhhhhh

When Jen smiles it takes me miles
From where I feel unsure
When Jen smiles I realize

She's no ordinary girl
Oohhh no
No ordinary girl
Oohhh no
No ordinary girl
Oohhh no
No ordinary girl
Ooooooooooh

Jen and Chris will also be on this too.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

those are great

and I saw about El Hormiguero...

more of that, please.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 12-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Passionate Fan

Interstellar Glitz: Designing the 'Passengers' Starship, Inside and Out

Quote:
Space.com: How did you come up with the design of the ship, given the long history of starships in science fiction and the hugely influential designs of the "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" ships?

Guy Hendrix Dyas: I'd done illustration work for a lot for great production designers on other science fiction films, but I'd never been at the helm of one of these projects myself. I thought, "Wow, that would be fun, designing a spaceship, that's great!" Then a wave of horror washed over me, in that I was up against a pantheon of spaceships that have been designed from the 1960s through the 1980s, that are icons. Everything from the ["Star Trek"] starship "Enterprise," probably the most famous of them all, to the Millennium Falcon [from "Star Wars"]; it goes on and on.

I immersed myself into the legacy of spaceship design and made a huge roll-out scroll of 11-by-7-inch printouts, all stuck together to make it 80 feet long. It was a full history of spacecraft in cinema that started with Georges Méliès' "A Trip to the Moon" and went all the way up through "The Martian" (2015), which had just come out when we were building our sets. So I used this as a bible of good — and bad —designs, and why we should be focusing our design strengths in certain directions. [Gallery: Visions of Interstellar Starship Travel]

Space.com: So what was your ultimate inspiration for the ship?

Dyas: I came up with a concept that had caught the imagination of the director based, quite simply, on looking at the seeds of sycamore trees and watching how they fell in a rotary fashion, like little helicopters. I just happened to see one of these things fall from a tree near where I was staying. That was a core inspiration.
FYI, sycamore seeds are pretty but the dang things get into every crack and crevice and are hard to clean out.

Quote:
It also harkened back to the classic films I loved growing up … movies like "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern, a forgotten classic that is still, in my opinion, one of the cornerstones of great science fiction, that really explored the idea of loneliness in space. I realized that if we were going to have a film about two characters in deep space who have woken up early and are destined to live out the rest of their lives on this ship, I needed to come up with a design that had some scientific validity to it.
He's right about Silent Running but I haven't forgotten it.

Quote:
Dyas: This is not merely a spacecraft from which they looked through the portholes and into the ether. I wanted them to be able to look across the ship at other components, other parts of the ship.
Spoiler:

Quote:
I took inspiration from Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" here, because the relationship between Chris Pratt's character and the barman — who doesn't have any legs and can't go anywhere — reminded me of the strange relationship between Jack Nicholson and the barman in "The Shining." So that was an inspiration for the bar, although our bar needed to be more bejeweled, more glorious and more outrageously beautiful than the bar in the Overlook Hotel. So the space became a huge jewelry box that attracts our characters to these scenes that happen in the bar where lots of the intrigue of this film becomes unraveled.
There's a lot more great stuff about the set designs and how they driven by the story and drive the story.

And more on the Passengers set design here: Passengers Production Designer Takes Trip to Outer Space

Quote:
Tyldem hired Dyas on the spot, intent on shaking up standard Hollywood space ship aesthetics. "We both wanted to get off the well-trodden path of traditional sci-fi where you design a shiny metal box, establish one color scheme and keep it going through-out the whole design of the ship," Dyas says.

Smart. Too many decent recent films, including Joy, just got early critics trashing it mercilessly and later critics following the herd. I haven't seen too many early liftings of embargoes work out in the last year.

Last edited by sunworshipper; 12-07-2016 at 03:56 PM
Old 12-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworshipper (View Post)
Smart. Too many decent recent films, including Joy, just got early critics trashing it mercilessly and later critics following the herd. I haven't seen too many early liftings of embargoes work out in the last year.
Also... if they're trying to keep specific story beats under wraps, holding reviews as late as is reasonable makes sense. I mean, reviews are one thing, but the inevitable spoiler filled articles dissecting the picture, comparing it against its peers, or examining some point or theme could reveal every twist and turn before audiences even get the chance to buy their popcorn. A review embargo ensures that that stuff at least, comes out after the movie, rather than before.

It's also a better strategy promotionally, because embargoing until just a week before release means the movie's profile will spike just before it hits theatres. That's beneficial whether it's deemed to be good, bad, or mediocre.
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Passionate Fan

Suspenseful Animation: Morten Tyldum directs Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt in intimate sci-fi thriller 'Passengers' | Film Journal International

Quote:
Both Spaihts and Moritz feel that the shooting script remained true to the 2007 draft. "It wasn't like we would go out on the floor and figure out what to do, and then the actors would be changing the dialogue," Moritz insists. "The actors loved this script so much that they wanted to say Jon's lines."

"There are inevitable evolutions in the visual realization of the film," Spaihts says. "Things in the design were delightful surprises. The ship in particular has a very striking look, edgier than what I had in my head when I was writing it."

Moritz praises production designer Guy Hendrix Dyas, who worked on films like Inception. "We had some CG, but really we built every one of those sets. Every scene in the movie is shot on a set except for one day out of the entire schedule. It was an amazing accomplishment on Guy's part, a visually spectacular look."

Another key figure was cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto, who collaborated with director Morten Tyldum to achieve what Spaihts called an "elevated" style. "Morten is a classicist as a filmmaker," the writer says. "He's looking for more iconic images than trying to follow broad popular entertainment."
Mild spoilers even for orginal script-readers:
Quote:
Spaihts also notes "refinements" he made with Tyldum. "I don't want to say too much, but this is a story about betrayal and forgiveness, about the limits of love and ultimately redemption," he adds. "One of the things Morten and I cared deeply about was making sure that our heroes ended up in a place that the audience could connect to, that they had paid for their sins, that they had found real communion.

"Looking for particulars for moments of redemption, of forgiveness, of reconnection, was a major task. The greatest refinements we made were in the third act and were about bringing our characters together and bringing them through their ordeal together."
Quote:
"I borrowed a trick from Douglas Adams in writing this script," Spaihts confesses. "He made social satire in the far future work by making the future completely recognizable. So that people still wear bathrobes and argue with the mailman and need to go to the grocery store. That makes it possible to jump straight to the real point he's making in the way he's designed the future."
Quote:
Moritz will only grudgingly admit to a deeper meaning to Passengers. "I'd rather Jon be the one to talk about politics or any underlying message. I will say there's a poignant conversation where our two characters talk about a colony that's being established. She's a little more upper-class, he's a little more blue-collar, they're people who have grown up differently. One thinks it's corporate greed, another thinks it's the ultimate immigrant story. So we have two people coming from different worlds."
Quote:
"I think Passengers is largely arguing that we're going to carry on, roughly as we've always done as a society. It's neither a utopia nor a dystopia. Not a Star Trek or Buck Rogers future, but not a Blade Runner or Alien one either. It's a future in which there is still the possibility of freedom and dreams coming true, but that is circumscribed by people's budgets and the influence of corporate culture and of all the same obstacles to self-realization that people face today."
I'd quote more but it would be nearly the whole (long) article. It's all very informative and interesting.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Passionate Fan

Old 12-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

sunny.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Closed Thread   Post New Thread