Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
I don't know why you keep thinking the Tom character is as important in the grand scheme of things as Mary is. He just isn't. His love interest or none, may or may not happen. It doesn't matter to Fellowes.
You can, of course, post wherever you like, but I don't know why you came into the Tom thread to tell us this.
I believe most of us are well aware that Mary is the character Fellowes loves above all. I don't dislike her, but I watch for Tom.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I don't know why you keep thinking the Tom character is as important in the grand scheme of things as Mary is. He just isn't. His love interest or none, may or may not happen. It doesn't matter to Fellowes.

Well, it should!

Because if he keeps track with his audience Julian Fellows will have noticed by now, that people are just not that interested in Mary and her men.

Look at the message boards, look at twitter, facebook or even the critics in the magazines.

People are NOT watching the show for Mary. Not even the majority of viewers!

Maybe you do. But the appeal of Downton has always been that Julian Fellows has said he cares about ALL his characters and that he puts as much effort in Daisy the kitchen maid as he puts into Mary.

I only watch the show for Tom and I know lots of people who do. I also know lots of people who watch it for other characters. And I know VERY FEW people who watch it for Mary.

So don't come here in the Tom thread and tell his fans they don't count and their favourite character doesn't count either.

It's offensive and it is NOT what Julian Fellows claims to do.

Last edited by Andorra; 10-25-2014 at 01:56 PM
Old 10-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Well, it matters to those of us who post here. Which is kind of the point of the thread: discussing Tom. And since we are now on thread #8, he is clearly important to a lot of viewers. And it's only natural that when one widowed character gets new love interests the other one would too. The show has never focused only on Mary and her romantic life.

After all, the other sisters had love interests even though they are not Mary. Clearly JF knew that it was best to have more than one romance running at the same time in order to keep the viewers engaged. He has said that having a big cast is great because different viewers can follow different characters depending on whom they like. And during S2 the BTS interviews with JF and the cast talked about how the M/M and the S/T romances "intertwined" but contrasted with each other. So that story was not just a throwaway. It represented something.

In the grand scheme of things the show is called "Downton Abbey." The cast is huge and there are many stories that have nothing at all to do with Mary. She isn't the star of the show in the way Clare Danes is on Homeland. Clare is in every scene, almost. She is the focal point and pivotal character in a way that Mary is not. Mary is like Meredith on Grays Anatomy: the biggest female character but not the only one that matters.

And Tom is the Agent, the one who taught Mary the ropes on running the estate and who helps her keep it going. Since the show is about the estate and the estate is so important to Mary, then Tom plays an important role.

If JF doesn't care about other characters or think they matter, why write them at all? He could trim the fat and focus a lot more on Mary but he doesn't. He gives us Isobel with Violet, stories Downstairs, Banna, Cobert, Tom, Rose, Thomas etc. He does it because as much as he loves Mary, he knows viewers would get bored and tune out if he gave her too much screen time. I imagine he would get bored writing it too. And he loves his other characters, if not as much or in quite the same way. He has said he loves Edith, Thomas, Violet (obviously). The whole show is his baby.

And one thing about the idea that Mary represents the essence of the show? I think that was true in the first three seasons, when the goal was for her as a woman to "claim her birthright" and inherit Downton. It was about her doing it in whatever way possible: by breaking the entail, by marrying the heir, by maybe not marrying him if he might not be the heir, etc. But now? She has the estate. That key matter has been resolved. She is trying to maintain it for her son, but that's not as compelling a narrative really. She is mainly an aristocratic heiress with a kid and a somewhat complicated love life. But her love life is not as pivotal as it was, not as vital as a story, and frankly not even necessary. She doesn't have to marry at all.

So now her story is romance and running the estate. Tom's story is running the estate and an identity crisis. But now the identity crisis story is or should be resolved, and there is nothing much left to do with him but romance. It's time, it makes sense, and he has said since last season that he does want to remarry. The show is about many things, but when it comes to the main Upstairs characters largely about relationships, including romance. A lot has been leading to it and pointing to it, because his identity crisis is in part about whom he can marry if he stays there. He had that specific conversation with Isobel in S4. A romantic storyline for him is in the cards of the show, basically. That's why we are anxious for it.

And JF likes Allen Leech as an actor a lot, which is one reason he kept him on the show. Allen does a ton of promotion and they know he's well-liked. He might not care as much about him as about Mary, but he's not going anywhere until the show is over. He's a fixture. And like Mary, he is a widowed parent looking for love. Allen has said so. So of course since she's been in the game since S4, at some point he will get in the game too. We're just impatient for it to happen already. A lot of us anyway.

You have the Mary thread and the episode threads in which to post about Mary to your hearts content. Why come over here and tell us to STFU about the character who is the SUBJECT of the thread? You don't see me coming over to the Mary thread to say I think she's boring. I don't care enough to do that and it would be rude.

Last edited by HarshBench; 10-25-2014 at 03:23 PM
Old 10-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Moderator Manager

This is the Tom/Allen thread. I think it's pretty much clear what's been here. It's an appreciation thread for the character and the actor. Constructive criticism is allowed for the character but generally we talk about the positive and negative aspects of Tom on the show on this thread. We all have our favorite characters on the show and if Tom isn't a favorite of anyone here, please don't put the character down.

If you meant your post to mean another way, my apologies Sunshinebright. But Tom (to me) is an integral part of this show and Allen wants to stay on and Julian likes the character too. People will stop watching the show without Tom, I'm sure. I think something is up for Tom in these last few eps because, and we all agree here, there hasn't been much going on with Tom apart from the Sarah SL and we're glad that it has ended.

Mod warning: Let's all get back to the topic of this thread now. Again, you all know the drill already. Any issues/concerns with posters on this board (if you think someone has crossed a line or is bashing) please PM me and do not take it on the threads. I have already made warnings before and I will not make a warning again and just escalate to the rest of management asap if the warnings are ignored and not followed. Thanks.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Extreme Fan

I think Allen/Tom could use a bump up, lovely excuse to post these from The Imitation Game LA premiere......

The Imitation Game LA Special Screening- 10th November - Allen Leech Online

and love this one of Tom and little Sybbie....... so cute

Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for all the wonderful photos at the LA premiere of The Imitation Game. Love those pics with Matthew & Allen. Aww, that pic of Tom with Sybbie.

@VanityFair:
.@ImitationGame and @DowntonAbbey star @Allenleech stopped by VF HQ!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Thanks for all the wonderful photos at the LA premiere of The Imitation Game. Love those pics with Matthew & Allen. Aww, that pic of Tom with Sybbie.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B25jWB0CcAAS2-b.png
@VanityFair:
.@ImitationGame and @DowntonAbbey star @Allenleech stopped by VF HQ!
You're welcome Lindsay, they make a handsome pair in those suits, joining you on the floor...... what is it about the name Matthew.....

and thanks for the Allen pic at VF.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
The Imitation Game is not just an opportunity for people to try to taste Benedict Cumberbatch at premieres — it is also a biopic of Alan Turing, the man who helped Britain break Germany's Enigma code during World War II before being persecuted for his homosexuality. Cumberbatch plays Turing, and he's joined by a long list of recognizable British faces, including Matthew Goode, Allen Leech, and Keira Knightley, who plays Turing's close friend Joan Clarke. In this exclusive clip from the film, Cumberbatch and Leech discuss the possibility of Turing coming out of the closet to Joan, and the harsh consequences he might face for doing so. The Imitation Game is out November 28.
Exclusive Clip: Cumberbatch in Imitation Game -- Vulture

Old 11-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

Thanks so much for the clip Lindsay, nice scene with Allen and Benedict.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Leech not britiish *cough cough*

/pedantry
Old 11-23-2014, 04:32 AM
Moderator Manager

I hope we get the movie here already, I want to watch it.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I hope we get the movie here already, I want to watch it.
Me too, I haven't got around to it yet, although I do prefer watching a movie like this without the distractions you get in a crowded cinema, I might wait until it's out on dvd.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:57 AM
Moderator Manager

That's true. If I don't get to see it here asap, I'll wait for the DVD.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
That's true. If I don't get to see it here asap, I'll wait for the DVD.
In the meantime hun, nice interview with Allen and Matthew.
(I hate waiting for the ads to finish though. )

Allen Leech, Matthew Goode on 'The Imitation Game' and Working With Benedict Cumberbatch - Moviefone Blog Canada
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
In the meantime hun, nice interview with Allen and Matthew.
(I hate waiting for the ads to finish though. )

Allen Leech, Matthew Goode on 'The Imitation Game' and Working With Benedict Cumberbatch - Moviefone Blog Canada
Thanks for this! I can just listen to Matthew talk all day, tbh.

Here's another vid of Allen with Matthew (and the other cast & director). Very light & fun interview.