Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
Hmm, I'd never even really considered that. I could see that. Charles and Mary definitely had great chemistry, so they're my first pick. But I just feel like Mary will eventually meet someone and just know. That's why, at least with Tony, I think it's a mistake if she chooses someone right now because she's obviously trying to convince herself of something.

Though I do find a sweetness in Tony and Mary's relationship.
It's very sweet & flirty between Tony & Mary that's for sure. Fans will be delighted. But when I ship someone I just know and feel it and I don't with Tony ever since S4 as compared to Charles. Tbh, the main reason I do like Mary & Evelyn is their history together and the way they rub off on each other which I like more than what we've got with Tony & Charles (so far).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. g (View Post)
Lindsay, lol, sometimes I think I'm the only one on here that can't stand Mary.
Really? Most of the time, I think I'm the only one who likes Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn (View Post)
This is my first post here, I'm glad to find a forum to discuss Downton Abbey on. I have watched all of series 5 as I am English, but would like to talk about it again.
Hi and welcome to the board! Glad to see you join us! The whole thing with Thomas was certainly a stroke of luck. And we have seen this plenty of times the past seasons. And regarding Sarah, yeah she's insufferable. Like Larry Grey, she's the female version of him as that character I love to hate on the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I find Spratt humorous ... and his little rivalry with Danker cracks me up. Like the anti-Carson/Hughes ... where the butler and the lady's maid/housekeeper can't stand each other.
You worded it perfectly: they are the anti-Carson/Hughes.

Quote:
Only 1 episode aired last night, and afterward was a special called The Manners of Downton Abbey.
Thanks! How as The Manners of Downton Abbey? I still haven't checked that out.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

*peeks in* Hi there, everyone! Thought I'd stop by now that the season has started up again here in the States & Sunday was my first time watching the show live on PBS! I love this show and am so happy to see it grace my TV screen!

I also watched the following special, The Manners of
Downton Abbey
and really enjoyed it. God, I'm glad I didn't live in England back then, I would've slit my wrist with all of that malarkey!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the welcomes How do we see a list of where we've posted? I've been all round the houses looking for a list.

Yes, Jimmy was Lady Anstruther's old footman/ toy boy. He's so silly! However, I thought he was nice to Thomas this episode when Thomas said 'how sad to be chasing after a footman' or something. Jimmy said it wasn't a bad thing to do, I thought he was reassuring Thomas he wasn't upset anymore by the fact Thomas fancies him.

I love that idea of Denker/ Spratt being the anti Carson/ Hughes. Brilliant.

Its a shame really about Sarah Bunting, I was all prepared to like her- an independent woman who won't put up with bad treatment, but she goes too far

I'm on the anti-Mary side I'm afraid I've always preferred Edith.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Supreme Fan

I like Edith - always felt that she should've married Sir Anthony. She could've actually been happy and had her own home/family. It seems like she's always been the forgotten one, the one who's "just there."

I like Mary too ... but her constant iciness to her sister is somewhat tiring.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
*peeks in* Hi there, everyone! Thought I'd stop by now that the season has started up again here in the States & Sunday was my first time watching the show live on PBS! I love this show and am so happy to see it grace my TV screen!

I also watched the following special, The Manners of
Downton Abbey
and really enjoyed it. God, I'm glad I didn't live in England back then, I would've slit my wrist with all of that malarkey!
I'm glad you're finally watching on PBS, Jen. I don't even get the show here. I mean we do but we're a season behind. LOL on that comment about The Manners of Downton.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcomes How do we see a list of where we've posted? I've been all round the houses looking for a list.
What do you mean a list of what we've posted?

Quote:
Yes, Jimmy was Lady Anstruther's old footman/ toy boy. He's so silly! However, I thought he was nice to Thomas this episode when Thomas said 'how sad to be chasing after a footman' or something. Jimmy said it wasn't a bad thing to do, I thought he was reassuring Thomas he wasn't upset anymore by the fact Thomas fancies him.
I'm still shipping them. It's great that their relationship has changed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I like Edith - always felt that she should've married Sir Anthony. She could've actually been happy and had her own home/family. It seems like she's always been the forgotten one, the one who's "just there."
The build-up with their relationship was great but how it ended was just... UGH.

Quote:
I like Mary too ... but her constant iciness to her sister is somewhat tiring.
Yes, that's one of the things I don't condone with Mary. She's a bitch alright but have some sympathy on your sister of all people!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
What do you mean a list of what we've posted?

I'm still shipping them. It's great that their relationship has changed now.

On other forums I've been on, you can click on your name (or somewhere) and see where you've posted and commented, and if there is a reply. Is there the same thing here? I haven't posted much yet but I know that when I do, I shall make a lot of comments and not remember where I did

Re: Thomas and Jimmy. I hated Jimmy in series 3 and 4 but thawed towards him in series 5 because IMO he matures a lot and realises Thomas isn't trying to annoy him but actually loves him. That isn't a spoiler btw.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
On other forums I've been on, you can click on your name (or somewhere) and see where you've posted and commented, and if there is a reply. Is there the same thing here? I haven't posted much yet but I know that when I do, I shall make a lot of comments and not remember where I did

Re: Thomas and Jimmy. I hated Jimmy in series 3 and 4 but thawed towards him in series 5 because IMO he matures a lot and realises Thomas isn't trying to annoy him but actually loves him. That isn't a spoiler btw.
To find your posts:

1. Click on the black oval at the top left of the page that says 'User CP'.
2. Click on 'your profile'.
3. Click on 'statistics'.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
To find your posts:

1. Click on the black oval at the top left of the page that says 'User CP'.
2. Click on 'your profile'.
3. Click on 'statistics'.

Thanks. But when I do that it just comes up with this message All I want to do is see my own posts, not other people's or do anything weird.

CarrieAnn, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
Old 01-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Thanks. But when I do that it just comes up with this message All I want to do is see my own posts, not other people's or do anything weird.

CarrieAnn, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
well boo. I am sorry that didn't work. (maybe it's because you haven't posted a lot?) I've wanted to change my avatar, but you have to have at least 100 posts under your belt to do so--I finally got to that point and everything I want to use is too big. LOL
Old 01-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
well boo. I am sorry that didn't work. (maybe it's because you haven't posted a lot?) I've wanted to change my avatar, but you have to have at least 100 posts under your belt to do so--I finally got to that point and everything I want to use is too big. LOL
Yes, that must be it. Never mind, one day
Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Moderator Manager

Yeah, Jimmy was a bit off-putting in S4 although I was surprised with how it all went down for him in this ep. I also like Anna Chancellor (Anstruther) very much but was disappointed at his role on this ep. I wanted to see more of her.

Quote:
Log Out Home
From the FF rules:

Quote:
Searching For Specific Posts or Threads
The search feature is currently turned off. You can try using Google to search for threads/posts, adding site:fanforum.com to your search: http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afanforum.com That way you only get search results from FF. If you want to keep track of where you've posted, you can subscribe to individual threads and to boards. Then you'll have links to those threads/boards in your User CP to quickly see if there have been any new posts. For threads, most boards have an index, or you can use the 'Archive' feature at the bottom right corner of the page to quickly search thread titles.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the info Lindsey

Jimmy's storyline with Lady Anstruther seemed very obvious and hasty to me. I hoped it would be more complicated, like she had a child by him after their liaison when he worked for her, or she was dying and wanted to leave him all her money (whereupon he would carry Thomas off to live in the mansion with him, lol)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the info Lindsey

Jimmy's storyline with Lady Anstruther seemed very obvious and hasty to me. I hoped it would be more complicated, like she had a child by him after their liaison when he worked for her, or she was dying and wanted to leave him all her money (whereupon he would carry Thomas off to live in the mansion with him, lol)
LOL

I hated that Jimmy was written off so quickly, talk about being too quick on the draw, JF.
Jimmy was a good addition and sorta alleviated losing William. I read in "To Marry An English Lord' that big houses preferred their butlers, etc, to be good looking young men--it showed that they took pride in their household help and wanted to make a good impression on their guests.

Jimmy and Rose having an upstairs/downstairs liason would have been dicey!

And speaking of Rose, I am surprised her scandalous past (being seen in a public place with a married man, being seen in public with a black man) didn't come back and bite her
Spoiler:
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM
New Fan

Quote:

I love that idea of Denker/ Spratt being the anti Carson/ Hughes. Brilliant.

Its a shame really about Sarah Bunting, I was all prepared to like her- an independent woman who won't put up with bad treatment, but she goes too far

I'm on the anti-Mary side I'm afraid I've always preferred Edith.

Actually, Jimmy had been trying to avoid her and there was no indication that it was anything more than her making inappropriate advances to him in his view because she hated getting older. Unfortunately, Jimmy, being a "vain and silly flirt" kept sending her Valentines so it's no wonder she thought he was interested.

She came to Downton to have sex with him but all he wanted was to tell her to leave him alone. However, as he told Thomas, "I can't resist it, not if it's offered on a plate" and we all know Lady Anstruther was going to be offering.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
LOL, I'm on-board with this.

Quote:
And speaking of Rose, I am surprised her scandalous past (being seen in a public place with a married man, being seen in public with a black man) didn't come back and bite her
Spoiler:
Let's be careful of discussing futures SLs in this thread. Our US posters have only seen the 1st ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBadger (View Post)
. Actually, Jimmy had been trying to avoid her and there was no indication that it was anything more than her making inappropriate advances to him in his view because she hated getting older. Unfortunately, Jimmy, being a "vain and silly flirt" kept sending her Valentines so it's no wonder she thought he was interested.

She came to Downton to have sex with him but all he wanted was to tell her to leave him alone. However, as he told Thomas, "I can't resist it, not if it's offered on a plate" and we all know Lady Anstruther was going to be offering.
I thought it was so obvious Lady Anstruther was flirting with Jimmy over dinner with all those advances she did and that it was only a matter of time until they were found out. I'm glad it was Robert though. They can't keep it secret for very long. It's now making me think if the SL is because they wanted an exit for Jimmy's character. Kind of lazy writing, imo.