Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Yes, exactly. It was a scene that definitely rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Noah was 100% wrong to say Travis sounded like a seal, but it was like when Bay started dating Emmett and Melody was giving her crap for it. They are trying. It's so difficult to learn a new language and I don't know, if I were Noah, I'd probably feel like why even bother?

Like you said, it is great to have a sense of self and community, and though I'm not an expert in the Deaf community, I know community is a huge theme for them, and that's great. But like you I felt a very weird vibe coming from Melody's discussion, and one that I didn't love. It just....yeah.
Yeah, I get the whole deaf pride thing but both hearing/deaf are ignorant. I'm sorry to say this but Melody is a bigot. She's VERY narrow minded. That's where Emmett got his anti hearing antics. It's good to know they're rubbing off him but Melody and the feel of that conversation, it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

After rewatching that scene I kinda blame Travis more...turning the music up was insulting and Noah was right when he referred to the party as "Bay's party" ..it wasn't a "deaf party"
Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
Okay, I need to point out something regarding Melody and her class. I get respecting who you are, and not making apologies for it, but I didn't like the implied message being sent that 'being deaf is better' or that 'non-hearing community is above the hearing community.' It was getting on my nerves, such a biased perspective being passed around that classroom like that. Ugh, don't know where they are going with that mess, and I didn't like the fight at the end between Travis and Noah but I kind of got Noah's point about how the hearing kids become the butt of jokes but if it's done in reverse, it's some horrible bias and uncalled for?! That is a HUGE double-standard and I don't like it.
I just finish watch the episode today and I completely agree w/ you plus how can anyone said that plus I hate the fact that Melody was like you have to stick w/ one world, but there isn't nothing wrong to have two world even it's fine to curious to see what it was like to be hearing or something like that.. But everything w/ what she said, I completely disagree w/ her..

Plus I understand where Noah coming from, but I have to admit that it's hard to understand where they truly coming from even I understand that they got judge too quickly, but same w/ hearing people when deaf people judge them because they got easy life or something like that.. But I feel like they shouldn't use this discuss in the episode because I don't know why they would include this, but maybe they was trying to stick w/ Daphne got mugged or what??

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingster (View Post)
After rewatching that scene I kinda blame Travis more...turning the music up was insulting and Noah was right when he referred to the party as "Bay's party" ..it wasn't a "deaf party"
Yeah, I picked up on that right away, Noah went in for the 'kill' with a very nasty name {aka. seal} but Travis definitely instigated and egged it on. The fact is, the episodes have shown that both communities, hearing and non-hearing, can be guilty of the same mistreatment towards others who are 'different' from themselves.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Elite Fan

Which I think is true with really any two different groups or communities of people. As much as we try to bridge the gaps, preconceived notions and experiences are going to lean people one way or the other. Sometimes people are able to overcome it in a positive manner, but other times it ends up like the party did, which is total chaos.

The irony is Noah is becoming one of 'you people' in the sense that he is losing his hearing. He in away is lost. He has no place. He's a paradigm. He's not really hearing, but he's not fully Deaf either, so he has no place. No common ground.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Elite Fan

I want Toby and Nikki together.

I just realized Lana was in the Charlie's Angels reboot. And I loved that short-lived show.

Noah is FINE, but there's something about Ebay that's utterly charming. I can't believe he came to her party and cancelled his plans. Wonder if Noah's going to gravitate to Daphne since she's not totally into Travis.

I felt horrible for Daphne. I never thought the food truck was a good idea but nobody should have to go through that. This is one of the most compelling storylines Daphne's had.

icon